Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Playing a "Goat Track"?

128 replies to this topic

#121 Cajunmike

Cajunmike

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 388934
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:Dusononliner337
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

Pretty much played goat tracks my entire junior career.  It's like weightlifting for your short game.. Can't tell you how many pitch shots I've had to play off dirt to an elevated green from 10 yards.  Bahai grass fairways, greens mowed twice a week, no irrigation or drainage, bunkers never raked or maintained. Never a good lie anywhere. Fun times and cheap. Went to one of these courses one day and someone had top dressed the greens with bag dirt from a hardware store. Yup it had mulch pieces in it. Was like playing plinko.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#122 KARL M

KARL M

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88517
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:01 PM

About 80% of the goat track that I started playing on was bulldozed and totally overhauled.

The before price back in the late 80's for a season pass was $70 per year for non-residents, $50 for city residents. and annual locker fee was $5.  My average cost per round was less than the cost of gas to and from the course.
The original course had tee boxes that were hardpan clay.  A small phillips screwdriver was clipped to my bag.  The screwdriver was used to make holes in the tee box to put your tee into.
The front nine had riding carts.  The back 9 had no riding carts, and you couldn't use a pull cart.  I tried a pull cart which broke after a week.  The back 9 had footpaths thru brushy areas that looked more like deer trails or cow paths.
Greens were the slowest I've ever played on.

The current course retains most of the original first hole and most of a par 5 from the original back 9.  Greens run at a descent pace. The course now hosts a symetra tour event.
There no longer are season passes.  Greens fees are still reasonable with resident rates of $ 22 and nonresidents at $ 31
G-30 10.5 Driver White Tie    Firm flex
917 F2 3 wood Speeder TS mod 74 stiff
G20 7 wood Tour 65 Regular flex
Cobra F6 4/5 Hybrid  White Tie Firm flex
Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Ping Glide 56* ES Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Callaway X Tour 59*Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2, prov1x, clicgear 3.0

#123 UGA111384

UGA111384

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 407874
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:48 PM

I play a "goat track" in Reynolds, ga (not to be confused with Reynolds plantation) when visiting family down there and it is the true definition of a goat track.  The only way you can get a good lie is if you tee it up on a ant hill.  You have no idea where the fairway is because everything looks the same.  The outfit of choice for most members either involves a cutoff or something camo.  With that said the people are the nicest ever and literally every round is a party!
917 D3 9.5* w/ ATMOS Black TS 6x
Tour Issue M2 Tour T3 w/ Speeder 7.2 757s
Tour Issue M1 19* w/ KBS Prototype 95s+
Srixon Z965 w/ DGTI S400
Bettinardi H2 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron 6m or Odyssey 3T

#124 ramdorsky

ramdorsky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466436
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

New goat track in Texas. Quail Prairie Golf Club just opened last week and hosted its first tournament Saturday. If anyone is ever travelling between Houston and Corpus Christi, PM me to get on.

Quail Prairie is a real pasture course. Three holes and four tee boxes makes ten different holes. Par 33. 1885 yards. This is an irons only course. Longest hole is a 325 yd par 4, and the holes were cut to the diameter of a 30 gallon drum. No putting. You get two club lengths from every lie, but no gimmees.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro...10*
Taylormade RBZ......15*
Callaway RAZR..........21*
Acer XP 905.............24*
Mizuno MP-64.........3-10
Scor................50* & 54*
Vokey..........................60*
SC American Classic III

#125 hardcorelooper

hardcorelooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446740
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

View Postjohnmeany, on 27 September 2016 - 05:22 PM, said:

Hominy Hill in Central NJ. Muni course that has had a few USGA public links championships. Doesn't look like much from the road but a really fun and challenging track that plays over 7000, and a very hilly course as well, but still an easy walk. Could really be something special, but it's not given a lot of funding.

Wow, you have high standards if you consider Hominy a goat track.  Growing up on the Jersey Shore in the '80s, we always spoke of Hominy in hushed tones.  It was a better course than the very exclusive private club where I worked.

Before I got the job at that club and played all the golf I could fit in on Mondays and weeknights, I'd play real Monmouth County goat tracks like Colonial Terrace (Colonial Terror) and Bel-Aire.  My high school team played at Shark River (another GT).  So many fond memories of the Shark.  I'd love to play it again, but my family and I have all moved away and I'm never in the area anymore.

I play most of my golf at a 4,600 yard course with a course rating of 62-ish that most here would consider a goat track, although it's in decent shape.  It's a First Tee course, and as a volunteer coach, my kids and I play it for free.  It keeps me playing quite a bit of golf, and since I have to shoot virtually zero to move my handicap, my handicap does travel somewhat decently.  When I do pay to play, I don't feel very guilty about it.  It's actually a decent course from the back tees for my HS daughter.  The greens are usually very puttable; the greenskeeper will get them running a little quick when the weather will allow it.  Some of the mounds have lost their grass and turned to hardpan/dirt, but you're not supposed to be there anyway, are you?  The people there are just phenomenal.  They're not there to be seen; they're there because they freaking love the game of golf.

I've loved this thread, and there are some of you that I think I'd have a blast playing with.

#126 HoosierHacker89

HoosierHacker89

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99812
  • Ebay ID:Pinggolfer2007
GolfWRX Likes : 266

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

Goat tracks are my bread and butter. I love them. My favorite course is cardinal hills in Selma, Indiana and I would play this course over Any other if it was my last round of my life. Family owned and operated and always the kindest and friendliest staff I've ever witnessed. The course it tougher than it looks and it has postage stamps greens. I cut my teeth there as a kid and I'll always cherish it. I highly recommend anyone to check it out
TM 07 burner tp 9.5
TM r7 steel 4 wood
Bridgestone J33 3-P
Bridgestone West Coast 52/58
Ping Nome

#127 ljrad1995

ljrad1995

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 460966
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:07 PM

Course near me, by no means a goat track, actually one of my favourite layouts, super interesting, very mountainous, lots of natural creeks and dams for hazards, just a superb layout. Unfortunately, due to its location and mediocre greenskeeping, the place exists in relative anonymity. My dad and I probably play there once a fortnight, and we always get the best service, super quick rounds, and a great game despite the hit and miss fairways/greens. One time we went there during their club champs, and my word, it was unreal. Green rolling 12+ and smooth, fairways mowed beautifully, that was something else. Point is, for $30, dad and i get a superb round of golf with the course to ourselves, just because others look down on this "goat track" so never be afraid to tackle the goat once or twice 🤗🤗
Callaway RAZR fit 9.5 deg, mitsubishi diamana white 73g S shaft.
Titleist 910F 15deg 3 wood, project x 8B4 83g 6.5
Srixon U65 2 iron, aerotech steelfiber 110X.
Mizuno MP4 3-PW, Dynalite gold X100 shafts.
Srixon WG-706 50deg, 8 bounce wedge. DG X100
Mizuno T7 55.09 and 60.10 blue finish, DG X100
RIFE antigua Island series blade putter
Titleist ProV1x ball

#128 John9213

John9213

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 444750
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:22 PM

View PostUGA111384, on 11 August 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

I play a "goat track" in Reynolds, ga (not to be confused with Reynolds plantation) when visiting family down there and it is the true definition of a goat track.  The only way you can get a good lie is if you tee it up on a ant hill.  You have no idea where the fairway is because everything looks the same.  The outfit of choice for most members either involves a cutoff or something camo.  With that said the people are the nicest ever and literally every round is a party!
Reynolds golf course! I don't think I've ever met staff so friendly in my life. And as an outsider, I've never made more friends during a round of golf before. Everyone made you feel like family and it made up for the horrible shape the course was in. I will go back the next time I'm in that area of Georgia!

Goat tracks are my specialty and I'm proud of it! I started out traveling the country for work 3 years ago and I was hitting up the most expensive and most popular courses I could find. Hit a couple on the top 100 list as well. But spending so much money to play every time got old real quick. I always play as a single because I travel alone so a course that allows singles and is laid back is what I enjoy the most. You give me 4 times a week at a goat track versus 1 time at a top 100 and I'll take the goat track every time for the same amount of money. I'm the laid back guy so they suit me well when I'm on the road working plus I enjoy a meal after I play and a burger or hot dog and a beer is my kind of meal as opposed to caviar. Goat tracks for life!
Driver : Mizuno JPX 900 9.5* - KK Silver Tini 60g
3w : Callaway XHot 3 deep 14.5* - Alidila Rip 65
2i : Srixon Z U65 18* - Miyazaki TI 7s
4h : Titleist 913h 24* - Diamana 82
Irons : 714 AP1 5-AW - DG S300 AMT
Wedge : Callaway MD3 S 52*
Wedge : Callaway MD3 PM 56*
Putter : Scotty Select Newport 2 Notchback

Mini : Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 13* - Tour AD DI-6s

Bag : Ping hoofer 5 way
Ball : Chrome Soft X, DT Trusoft yellow

#129 tngolferguy

tngolferguy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29216
  • Handicap:8.3
  • Ebay ID:Bradk1008
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

View Postbcpudge7, on 11 September 2016 - 07:47 AM, said:

There's a public course in BG that has the potential to be a great public course, but has the reputation of being a cheap course, so it's kept like a cheap course.

Would love to see it taken over and made nicer

View Postbcpudge7, on 11 September 2016 - 07:47 AM, said:

There's a public course in BG that has the potential to be a great public course, but has the reputation of being a cheap course, so it's kept like a cheap course.

Would love to see it taken over and made nicer

BGKY?  If so, which one?
I hit it 300 every time...on the range...when nobody's watching.

TaylorMade Jetspeed 9 degree Project X PXv 52 7.0 ** TaylorMade M2 15 degree Project X HZRDUS black 65 6.5  TaylorMade 2012 MC 3-PW Project X flighted 6.0 ** Vokey SM5 50.08 ** Vokey SM4 54.10 ** Vokey SM4 60.10 ** SeeMore mFGP Deep Flange Nashville Studio Series ** Golf Pride CP2 Tour Midsize ** Maxfli U/6X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors