Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best irons for under 500$...

45 replies to this topic

#31 sdrem

sdrem

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41150
  • Ebay ID:sdrem
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:39 AM

Check out the Maltby MTF.  If you are near a Golf Galaxy, they may have a set built, or they can be built to your specs.

http://www.golfworks...0065_A_cn_E_671

Cal. X2hot 10.5* Aldila Tour Blue
Callaway X2hot 17* Aldila Tour Blue
Ping G25   20*/ 23*  tfc189
Callaway Apex 5-AW/UST Recoil
Odyssey X-milled Versa #1, SS Ultra Slim
Cal. Mack Daddy 2 55*/60* ,KBS Tour V
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 pingman1

pingman1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6229
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:03 AM

check out GPP, take a look at the Mizzy MX 900

#33 Sledge Hammer

Sledge Hammer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45275
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:23 PM

Are you hung up OEM's? I'm a 10 HCP, used to play to a 6 HCP in my early 20's. I've just started to get back into the game the last couple of years. I used to work in the pro-shop as a teen and would not even think about component/knock off clubs.

Last year I started to work with a retired Canadian Tour Pro, who is helping scrape 20+ years of rust off my game. He suggested that I look to replace my 25yr. old Ram Tour Grinds with some new technology. I took the time to read Tom Wishon's "In Search of the Perfect Golf Club" and decided that I wanted to get properly custom fit with a set of clubs and that OEM weren't necessarily the best bang for the buck. I worked with my Pro to fit my swing and decided on a set of SMT 303CB2 Irons 4-9 & SMT Durometer Wedges. They were built to my spec by Mike, at 2Putt Golf. I was originally concerned about quality, as I ordered them over the internet and the price for the whole set was under $500.But, I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the build and how nice these clubs play.

SMT makes a series of irons 303MB (muscle back), 303CB (Cavity Back - game improvement) & 303CB2 (modified Cavity Back with a low muscle roll players/game improvement). All three have traditional looks with small heads (almost the same size & look as my 25 yr. old Rams) and you can mix and match. SMT also has a very solid reputation for quality as they make many drivers for the Long Drive Competitors.

If you are more interested in performance than whether your friends will look down on you for using components, take a look at the SMT's. I never thought I would play anything other than OEM. Now I may never play OEM again. OK, I still have my woods to replace, when I can afford it. Right now I'm more interested in paying green fees to play my new clubs.

Edited by Sledge Hammer, 23 January 2008 - 02:24 PM.

#34 guit80

guit80

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27446
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:48 PM

I will second the Cleveland CG4 tours.I had been playing the Tour Edge QL's and moved to the CG4's late last year and was amazed that even a hack like me could move the ball.Very affordable right now mid $300

#35 MCDavis

MCDavis

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,528 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21020

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:09 AM

View Postbjackson, on Jan 1 2008, 10:13 PM, said:

Bridgestone J33 CB's.
Another J33 cb vote!

#36 thefuryone

thefuryone

JESUS CHRIST, A LION!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45671

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:20 AM

I know Titelists and Mizunos and Callys and Cleveland irons are really popular here, and they're fantastic choices.  

But I'd really recommend getting a set of Tommy Armour Silver Scot blades (the cb's are great, too) on Ebay from Proshopwarehouse here: Link

They're forged, come with Rifle Flighted shafts in 5.0 or 6.0 (I got the 6.0), are incredibly soft, feel incredible, and I can work them like no other club I've ever hit.  And you can get them shipped for about $150.  Granted, the grips suck, but you can get them regripped for like $100 or less.  

Everyone I've shown them to says they look beautiful, and they do, and the pro giving me lessons said they're one of the nicest sets he's ever hit with.  They're absolutley worth the money, and used to retail for about $500 a couple years ago.

All the reviews on this site were very positive.   Give them a try.  If you don't like them, you can sell them on Craistlist for what you paid for them anyway!

#37 HEMIPHIL

HEMIPHIL

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24088
  • Ebay ID:sawmillphil95
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:26 AM

I know the OP was talking new, but you can pick up some really great used sticks for $500, or less. A couple weeks ago I had to take a pass on (heads only 3-PW), a set of Srixon I-404's (these are hard to find), on the bay...they went for $300. Add whatever you would require in a steel shaft, and you've got a really great set there. Just before Xmas, I let a set of NEW Mizuno MP-60's Raw (heads only again 3-PW) Japan Tour Issue for the BIN price of $550, get away from me. I thought that was a sweet deal, but someone beat me to them. Lots out there...keep looking.

Edited by sawmillphil, 25 January 2008 - 12:06 AM.

#38 Chilidog

Chilidog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46727
  • Ebay ID:fisherj14
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

I would say anything Bridgestone or Srixon. I am telling you though, the Bridgestone J33 Combos cannot be beat. Blades in the short irons and progressive CBs in the long irons. Perfect combo!

#39 18th Legion

18th Legion

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29486
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

Good timing.  If you are into the I506 you can pick up NEW one's on eBay from 3Balls Golf, very reputable.  If you want DG R300 shafts or will re shaft anyway they have them for either Buy It Now for 449.50 or bid on their auction with about a minute or less to go for 350.00 and you should win.  I have seen over six of these sets won for between 285.00 and 325.00.

If you want DG S300 a different Seller which I don't know but has limited Positive feedback has them for 544.90 Buy It Now and it comes with a 706 Wedge.  Another Seller, which again I don't know but has a bit more Positive Feedback, has an auction for DG S300 starting at 279.00.

Yet another seller has I701 Tours for 549.00 New with Project X 6.0 or Project X 5.5, both factory installed.  The Seller has been on eBay for quite awhile with 100% Positive Feedback.

There are a few auctions going for the new I701 (non-tour) which I have seen this set won for 350.00 to 375.00.

Don't Delay Check it out.  For some reason Srixon and Bridgestone do not get great new or used resale. . . and people complain about TaylorMade losing value, not any worse then those two.  However, everyone on this board knows how good these two are so it's a fantastic deal.  

(Not that TaylorMade is bad, or worse, or Srixon and Bridgestone is poor, or . . . you get the picture.  Not trying to start any email war about brands.  I like and appreciate all OEMs.  I do despise Clones.)

Edited by 18th Legion, 24 January 2008 - 12:03 PM.

#40 HEMIPHIL

HEMIPHIL

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24088
  • Ebay ID:sawmillphil95
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:17 AM

View Postsawmillphil, on Jan 24 2008, 11:26 AM, said:

A couple weeks ago I had to take a pass on (heads only 3-PW), a set of Srixon I-404's (these are hard to find), on the bay...they went for $300. Add whatever you would require in a steel shaft, and you've got a really great set there.

I hate to quote myself here, but I was just taking a peek on the bay...low and behold one, and the same Srixon I-404's all shafted up...starting bid $350...so there you go. These were the heads, because the 5I had a ding on the leading edge.

Edited by sawmillphil, 25 January 2008 - 12:18 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#41 leekgolf

leekgolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1950
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:22 AM

I guess the real question is, how good is your ballstriking?

How many GIR's on average?

Have you ever been fit? If so, when they put the impact tape, was your shot dispersion dime sized? Quarter sized? Silver Dollar Sized?

What's your ball flight? Do you compress the ball with your irons? Do you take divots?
If so, what are your divots like? Do they start even with the back of the ball? The front of the ball? A little past the ball?
The best irons under $500 for YOU really depend on those answers. Once you get them, do you know your proper lie angle? Length?

Edited by leekgolf, 25 January 2008 - 12:24 AM.

#42 leekgolf

leekgolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1950
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:29 AM

View Postbcheeks, on Jan 1 2008, 08:31 PM, said:

View PostGriff721, on Jan 1 2008, 08:11 PM, said:

I read the reviews on the 506s, which most seem to be very happy with. How forgiving/unforgiving would you say these are in comparison to other forged cb irons?

I think they are very forgiving.  I play to a 7.6 USGA HCP right now and have been as high as a 8.something early in the year.  Before this season I played game improvement irons (X14's, Hawkeye's).  I really shouldn't have been playing the hawkeyes but I got a great deal on them so I played them for a couple of years.  They were really forgiving but they were huge and I tended to lose everything left.  I played them for a few rounds in the spring and then I picked up a set of X18 Pro Series.  Then I tried some x20's and x20 tours before finally ending up with a set of 506's.  Out of everything I tried this year the 506's seem to be the best.  They are forgiving while still providing you with good feedback and some shot shaping ability.  I don't normally try to work the ball, I only do it when it is absolutely necessary but it can be done with the 506's.

My scores got significantly better when I started using the 506's.  I made more money in my weekly skins game and my handicap came down.  I hit more shots closer to the pin then I had all year.  Even my bad rounds were better than they had been with other sets early in the year.  The biggest difference I noticed was distance control.  Get your yardage, grab your club and hit it.  With the srixons, they go the same distance every single time.  There is no more second guessing myself over the ball, that makes a huge difference for me.  I no longer get the nuked 8 iron that went 15 yards longer than it should have.

Brian- Like me you're an iron ho. You'll keep buying and selling irons until you either quit golf or die. How many sets did you buy this year? How many sets did you sell?

By the way, I will too. I bought 4 sets this year and sold 5! I still have 4 sets I play and a couple I don't  :man_in_love:

#43 mozgolf

mozgolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29434
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:44 AM

View Postsergizmo, on Jan 2 2008, 08:54 AM, said:

View Postalexthegrrr8, on Jan 2 2008, 12:13 AM, said:

For the price you can't go wrong with what suddenly became known after the Open Championship.

Wilson Staff Pi5.

I've been playing them 2 years and just can't seem to pry them out of my bag or hands. Now they're going for what???? $250 tops.

Alex

Second that. Great set of irons.

I would agree but for the Ci6 which is the real sleeper, great look at address, but plenty of GI assistance in a clean looking stick just waiting to take a 10 to single digits.

Oh yeah Adams a2 can be had for $300, the a3 in steel is available new at that price point, and yes you can work either club amply and they will easily play to single figures. They will also be much more forgiving if you havent tons of time to practice etc.

506s are lovely, but even Jim Furyk got them set up with more offset

I would advocate the most GI oriented clubs you can stand to look at for the everyday golfer even the tour players are going that way for a reason and its not cos they have bad swings.

Edited by mozgolf, 28 January 2008 - 12:35 AM.

#44 dac

dac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15561
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:02 AM

i got my 05 rac forged tp's for $300 over a year ago.  i think these are perhaps one of the sweetest looking clubs made in recent years, and they feel great when hit cleanly.

#45 mizunodude

mizunodude

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24671

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:39 AM

Mizzy mp60 is being overshadowed right now its a perfect time to pick up a new or near new set for nothing

Edited by mizunodude, 25 January 2008 - 02:39 AM.

#46 NJGolfer72

NJGolfer72

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40526

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:24 AM

I'd suggest components.  Particularly Maltby's stuff from GolfWorks/Golf Galaxy.  Custom fit and practically any style you want.  Some very nice stuff. Won't have snob appeal, but you'll be happy with how they play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors