Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What are the World's Best Golf Trip Destinations? We want your Views! Golfbreaks.com

Golf Vacation Trip Worldwide Golfbreaks.com Reviews Best Destination Holiday Course

127 replies to this topic

#31 Enzogorlami

Enzogorlami

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405168
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:53 PM

Definitely cabo....diamanté, quivira, cabo del sol, el cardonal (tigers course) all inclusive with free drink stops every 4 holes or so. Resort golfing at its finest. Plus quivira is the most insane course ever.

Driver: Callaway GBB
3 Wood: Callaway BB alpha 815
Hybrid: Adams Red 18 degree
Irons: Bridgestone J40 4-pw
Wedges: Sm5 52,56,60
Putter: Scotty Cameron GoLo 3

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Enzogorlami

Enzogorlami

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:01 PM

View PostGolfbreaks.com, on 23 May 2016 - 12:49 PM, said:

We did a quick top 5 poll in the office to find out which courses the team thought were the best in Scottsdale. Here are the results!

1. We-Ko-Pa Cholla
2. Troon North Monument
3. TPC Scottsdale Stadium
4. Gray Hawk Raptor
5. Quintero

With Boulders coming a gallant sixth...

Do you agree with the guys? Or what courses would you put in your Scottsdale Top 5?

Thanks, Guy

Tpc stadium is definitely not in the top 5. we ko pa saguaro, verrado, and southern dunes would all come before the stadium course on my list.

#33 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1067

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

We did a quick top 5 poll in the office to find out which courses the team thought were the best in Scottsdale. Here are the results!

1. We-Ko-Pa Cholla
2. Troon North Monument
4. Gray Hawk Raptor
5. Quintero

Do you agree with the guys? Or what courses would you put in your Scottsdale Top 5?

Thanks, Guy

No.

TPC Scottsdale wouldn't make my top 10.   I would include Troon North (both courses), Boulders (both courses) and Grayhawk (both courses) for sure.  I assume you are only looking at public courses.  If not, all of the Desert Mountain courses would make my list and also Whisper Rock.

#34 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 411

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:30 AM

The Scottsdale list is terrible. Troon North Monument might be in the Top 5 but Pinnacle is much better. See the SW forum for a thread that gives a much better indication of which courses are actually good.

I also can't agree with "all" of the Desert Mountain courses or Whisper Rock if you mean Lower. Upper is excellent but Lower isn't as good as the top few public courses.

#35 Golfbreaks.com

Golfbreaks.com

Golfbreaks.com

• Sponsors
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383568
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:13 PM

Good comments everyone, and I am happy to be put back in my box.

Our top 5 list was made up from courses that the guys have played. So yes they are all public courses, and I agree there are some big omissions which you have mentioned above.

Cheers, Guy

UK and Irish Golf Vacations at unbeatable prices
Saving golfers time and money!

#36 Golfbreaks.com

Golfbreaks.com

Golfbreaks.com

• Sponsors
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:26 PM

Who's played Kiawah Island? And how do you rate it versus other renowned US resort destinations?

Dave, one of our UK based sales consultants, has just returned from a trip there... and here are his thoughts...

"Having played and stayed at Pebble Beach I never thought I’d visit a better resort however after returning from Kiawah Island recently I think I now have a new favorite!

Kiawah Island itself is a stunning location surrounded by natural marsh land and hugs the coastline with huge deserted beaches as far as the eye can see. The Kiawah Island Resort is the main place you stay there are two choices of accommodation to pick from. Option 1 would be the Sanctuary Hotel, this is very much a high end 5* grand luxury property and I would compare this to the likes of The Lodge at Pebble Beach or The Carolina at Pinehurst. It oozes class and its location right on the beach front is fantastic. It comes with a hefty price tag per night but you won’t be disappointed with what you’ve paid, for trust me. Option 2 will be the self-catering Villa’s which are far more affordable as they have a huge range which are located all around the Resort. You can stay in a basic resort view villa all the way up to a premium high level property situated on the beach and all you have to do is walk down the balcony stairs to have your feet in the sand. I personally stayed in two bedroom villa a 3 min walk from the beach and it was absolutely perfect for what I wanted and the resort can offer everything for each individual’s price ranges.

In terms of activities the island offers everything from Surfing, Fishing, and tennis to guided Kayak tours through the marsh land to all the wildlife including plenty of Alligators. For dining and shopping there is a brilliant small town just before you get to the main Kiawah gates called ‘Freshfields Village’. This offers a wide range of restaurants, cafes and shops and it’s perfect if you fancy getting out of the villa or the hotel.

Now we get on to the main activity which of course is the golf on Kiawah. The resort boasts 5 courses which are all brilliant however I would rate them in the following order;

1. Ocean Course
2. Turtle Point
3. Osprey Point
4. Cougar Point
5. Oak Point

The main event really is the Ocean course and I think it’s the best golf course I’ve ever played. Off the tips it’s around 7400 but it can be played over 8000 which they’ve never actually done and I’m not surprised as it’s a monster at 7400! It’s very much a links style golf course however it still has that American feel to it and offers fairly large landing areas off the tee but your 2nd shot into the greens is where it really starts to get interesting… make sure you have plenty of golf balls! The layout is superb and there’s never an average hole and the finishing stretch from 13th – 18th back to clubhouse are holes you’ll never forget.

After the round you can sit right in front of the clubhouse looking over the 18th with the Atlantic in the background and enjoy a well-earned drink in the sunshine."

Kiawah is only 30 miles from our offices in Charleston, so it sounds like I need to get an excuse to get back out there... Maybe on my next trip...!

Thanks, Guy

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 KI.png
  • 2 KI.jpg
  • 3 KI.png

#37 whysguy

whysguy

mngolferguy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26629

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:32 PM

I've not played any of the aforementioned European courses , but I have had the fortune of a lot of Mexico and US and some Canadian. I think missing from the mentions, The Pinehurst area.
In all my travels, other than Monterrey, Pinehurst left me the most lasting memories. Of course #2, but Mid Pines, The Carolina, #4, #8, Pine Needles, Southern Pines, it can go on and  on.
And fly into Raleigh and Tobacco Road on the way down..awesome.super fun. Some dont appreciate, I do.
Of my more then 100 golf excursions, its way up there. The clubhouse at Pinehurst with all the history , and Payne Stewart... I will remember it forever.

#38 Golfbreaks.com

Golfbreaks.com

Golfbreaks.com

• Sponsors
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:26 PM

View Postwhysguy, on 06 June 2016 - 05:32 PM, said:

I've not played any of the aforementioned European courses , but I have had the fortune of a lot of Mexico and US and some Canadian. I think missing from the mentions, The Pinehurst area.
In all my travels, other than Monterrey, Pinehurst left me the most lasting memories. Of course #2, but Mid Pines, The Carolina, #4, #8, Pine Needles, Southern Pines, it can go on and  on.
And fly into Raleigh and Tobacco Road on the way down..awesome.super fun. Some dont appreciate, I do.
Of my more then 100 golf excursions, its way up there. The clubhouse at Pinehurst with all the history , and Payne Stewart... I will remember it forever.

Yes, I agree with @whysguy, Pinhurst is a special place. In fact Golfbreaks.com hold a PGAs of Europe sanctioned Pro-Am there every year in March which is very popular. Interestingly, this year the "pro tournament" was won by our very own Darren Bragg, who is an Account Manager for our Golf Pro Vacation business. I'm not sure how that went down with the other competitors however, but he did shoot 64 on Pinehurst No.4... so we can't give him too hard a time!

The event details can be seen on the PGAs of Europe website here

Has anyone else played Pinehurst? How do you rate it and does it live up to its mantle as the St Andrews of America?

Thanks, Guy

P.S. Here is a pic of Darren and his team (and Payne) on the 18th at #2...

Attached Thumbnails

• Pinehurst.jpg

#39 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:58 PM

View PostGolfbreaks.com, on 23 June 2016 - 12:26 PM, said:

Has anyone else played Pinehurst? How do you rate it and does it live up to its mantle as the St Andrews of America?

Thanks, Guy

I played #2 on three trips there before the Crenshaw redesign.  I think it's one of the most overrated courses in the world.  It just has nothing memorable about the layout.   After seeing pictures of the redesign, I like it even less.

#40 duffer987

duffer987

Wants to be like DP4!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:9.4
GolfWRX Likes : 4336

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:44 PM

View PostRoadking2003, on 24 June 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

Thanks, Guy

I played #2 on three trips there before the Crenshaw redesign.  I think it's one of the most overrated courses in the world.  It just has nothing memorable about the layout.   After seeing pictures of the redesign, I like it even less.

Oh right. So you've not actually played it. You just don't like the pictures :-S

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Golfbreaks.com

Golfbreaks.com

Golfbreaks.com

• Sponsors
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:33 AM

Turning attention back to South West Ireland, which I can confidently say is one of the best golf destinations in the world, we recently had a customer, Colin H from West Chester PA, come back from the region where he had spent an extended week with his family.

His trip was mouthwatering-ly good and included Ballynunion (Old), Lahinch, Tralee and Old Head... quite a line up! However it was Old Head that really struck him. Below are is comments on this great Irish course:

"But Old Head is in a class by itself.  I had seen many, many pictures and a few videos, including a helicopter video overflight of the entire course, but I still wasn’t prepared for the real thing.  When I crested the hill on the inward drive and looked down at Old Head for the first time, I had to stop the car and just drink in the view.  I was overwhelmed, almost speechless.  Then the service from the car park to the Clubhouse to our rooms was at a level unlike anything else, including Bandon Dunes.  Finally, the meal in the Old Head dining room was the best of the trip, featuring local lamb and local John Dory fish.  The next day’s golf was just as spectacular.  While technically not a true links course, Old Head must surely be the single most visually striking seaside golf course in the world.  No future golf trip to Ireland will be complete without a return to Old Head."

In addition, he gave us some feedback on the hotels where he stayed during their his trip. His original brief to us was, "All four- and five-star accommodations (and the very best golf courses, with a premium on being scenic)."

"With stays at places like Knockranny, Lough Eske and Killarney Park, the accommodations were genuinely five stars – but the accommodations at Old Head were beyond amazing.  The rooms were first rate, and the views were beyond compare. If we were able to go back to only one place to play and stay – it would be Old Head, hands down."

Sounds like we all need to get down to Old Head for a bit of R&R and a golf course that is out of the top draw!

Has anyone played Old Head or taken a trip to SW Ireland? How was it for you?

Thanks, Guy

Posted Image

#42 duffer987

duffer987

Wants to be like DP4!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:25 AM

You guys getting a kick back from Old Head ;) I kid, I kid.

I would agree with anyone saying it's the most incredible location for a golf course that one could play, truly incredible.
I's also agree with anyone saying it's a one and done course. The routing doesn't come close to matching the setting and would go so far as to say the modest Gold Coast golf club in Dungarvan a couple hours east is a more enjoyable round of golf. And it doesn't even bare comparing to the classic SW links.

Funnily enough the first time I played it, it cost 35 punts and me and a couple locals whipped around on a lovely May afternoon.
I played it once again over a decade ago now, when my friends were dying to play it. We stayed at a local inn down the road and had an excellent lock-in that night and a rough next morning :)

Irish golf to me is Lahinch, Ballybunion, The European Club, Rosses Point, The Island, etc...
Old Head is like Kingsbarns, with the very important distinction that Kingsbarns at least backs up the resort-course feel, with a very good golf course.

#43 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:40 PM

View Postduffer987, on 24 June 2016 - 05:44 PM, said:

Thanks, Guy

Oh right. So you've not actually played it. You just don't like the pictures :-S

Like I said, I've played it three times when it was beautiful and boring.  Now it's ugly and boring.

#44 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:48 PM

View PostGolfbreaks.com, on 30 June 2016 - 06:33 AM, said:

Has anyone played Old Head or taken a trip to SW Ireland? How was it for you?

Thanks, Guy

Yes, I played Old Head on two trips and it is stunning.  Great course, great caddies, nice clubhouse for after golf drinks.  I will go back.

We also played Waterville, Dooks, Ballybunion, Tralee, Adare, Doonbeg in that area. All were very good but I particularly liked Waterville, Ballybunion and Doonbeg.

#45 67VIP

67VIP

67VIP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43777
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:08 PM

View PostGolfbreaks.com, on 15 April 2016 - 10:50 AM, said:

Being a golf tour operator, we have the pleasure of working with amazing golf courses, hotels and resorts all over the world and send thousands of golfers on vacations each year to enjoy these venues. This means we have a very good insight into world’s best golf destinations, but the decision ultimately comes down to the traveling golfers who visit these places.

Therefore we would love to know what you think are the World’s Best Golf Destinations and why! Both destinations that you have been to and places that you would like to visit.

To keep this thread alive and moving, we will regularly be posting reviews and opinion about golf courses and resorts as well as tips on where to play, stay and go out.

We’d also love to see your opinions and reviews of golf courses worldwide (or trips you been on), both good and bad, as well as any insider knowledge that you might have.

So, if you’ve played a great course, then post and tell us about it. Likewise post, if you need advice on where to play.

Now back to the question, “What are the World’s Best Golf Trip Destinations??”

Hopefully this will inspire you to make your next golf trip!  Thanks, Guy

Bandon Dunes - Pacific Dunes & Old MacDonald are phenomenal and worth the trip on their own. If you fly into Portland you could knock off Pumpkin Ridge on the way down and located near Bend is Pronghorn.  If you flew into Seattle you could knock off Chambers Bay, which is something you'd like or hate.

London, England - Sunningdale, Walton Heath, The Grove, London Golf Club, Stoke Park; further out Royal St George's, Prince's & Woburn.  I can go on and on...

St Andrews - Old/New/Jubilee & The Dukes; then on to Carnoustie, Gleneagles Kings & Royal Aberdeen.  Didn't play Kingsbarn, but looked fabulous.

Sheboygan, Wisconsin - Whistling Straits & Blackwolf Run about 4 miles apart...no need to go anywhere else.

Charleston - Kiawah, Wild Dunes, & not far away is Hilton Head

Edited by 67VIP, 03 July 2016 - 03:41 AM.

Taylormade Aeroburner Blk 10.5 / Fujikura Speeder57
Exotics EX9 Fairway 15.0 / Matrix Red Tie 65x4
Exotics EX9 Hybrid 17 / 19 / Mamiya Recoil 670
Cobra Fly Z+ Forged 4-GW / KBS Tour V

Titleist Vokey SM6 5408M / 5812K / Dyn Gold

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 / Wilson Staff 8802
Taylormade TP5
Cobra Masters Edition Staff Bag
The Home Course, Dupont, Washington

Chambers 15th - Copy.jpg

#46 duffer987

duffer987

Wants to be like DP4!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:19 PM

View PostRoadking2003, on 30 June 2016 - 04:40 PM, said:

View Postduffer987, on 24 June 2016 - 05:44 PM, said:

Thanks, Guy

Like I said, I've played it three times when it was beautiful and boring.  Now it's ugly and boring.

Apologies for not being super explicit, I thought you would have made the connection; I meant post-restoration.
Slating a course that you've never played strikes me as incredibly close-minded for someone that enjoys playing different courses :dntknw:

#47 asw7576

asw7576

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371961
  • Handicap:25
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:14 AM

Bali Nirwana Golf Resort, Tanah Lot, Bali Indonesia :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Par 4 , beautiful panorama
Posted Image

Par 3 , 190 meter, over the cliff
Posted Image

Par 3 , 178 meter , over padi rice fields
Posted Image

Edited by asw7576, 10 July 2016 - 11:31 AM.

Drivers : Taylormade RBZ, RBZ Stage 2, Jetspeed, SLDR S, Callaway
Fairways : Taylormade RBZ, RBZ Stage 2, Callaway
Hybrids : Taylormade SLDRS S
Irons : Mizuno MP H4, JPX 800 HD, Yamaha Inpres X Z Cavity 2013 & 2016, Maruman Titus & X1
Wedges : Mizuno T4
Putters : Oddyssey Tank 2 balls, Works 2 fangs, Mizuno T201
Shoes : Footjoy DNA

#48 Golfbreaks.com

Golfbreaks.com

Golfbreaks.com

• Sponsors
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:14 AM

Yes, I've heard great things about the Bali Nirwana Golf Resort. My brother in law recently played it! Nice pictures @asw7576 - thanks.

As we were previously talking Ireland, I have put below Kevin Markham's picks for his"Ultimate 7 day Golf Vacation to Ireland". Kevin is the man who has played EVERY course in Ireland and written a book about it "Driving the Green"! So, I can safely say that he truly is an authority on Irish Golf (and a lucky man!). We asked him what his top Irish trip would be a few months back and here are his picks...

Ireland’s Best Ever Trip:
1. Ballybunion Old
2. Ballybunion Cashen
3. Tralee
4. Waterville
5. Dooks
6. Old Head   -  yup, Kevin is an Old Head fan!
7. Killarney

His other recommended courses to consider are:   Ceann Sibeal, Lahinch, Doonbeg, Castlegregory, Cork, Fota Island, Bantry Bay.

Do you agree? What would your top seven Irish Courses? Or if you haven't been there, which Irish courses are on your wish list?.

Thanks, Guy

Posted Image

#49 duffer987

duffer987

Wants to be like DP4!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:14 AM

Yikes! How the heck is Lahinch not on that list... in the #1 or #2 spot as well.

Cashen course shouldn't be anywhere near a top 7 of Irish courses IMHO and I put my opinions about Old Head above ;)

I'd happily drop Cashen, Old Head, and Killarney, add Lahinch and swap in European Club, The Island, Baltray, or Portmarnock with Dublin as a second base along with somewhere like Listowel for the SW.

Obviously it's a splitting hairs thing and a good 'problem' to have, but IMHO if someone took that tour they'd still have a great time (it's golf in Ireland after all!) but they'd really be missing some top tracks, to play some rather middling ones, all things considered.

Edited by duffer987, 15 July 2016 - 11:35 AM.

#50 operator

operator

Rookie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189742
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:47 AM

View PostGolfbreaks.com, on 06 June 2016 - 01:26 PM, said:

Who's played Kiawah Island? And how do you rate it versus other renowned US resort destinations?

Dave, one of our UK based sales consultants, has just returned from a trip there... and here are his thoughts...

"Having played and stayed at Pebble Beach I never thought I’d visit a better resort however after returning from Kiawah Island recently I think I now have a new favorite!

Kiawah Island itself is a stunning location surrounded by natural marsh land and hugs the coastline with huge deserted beaches as far as the eye can see. The Kiawah Island Resort is the main place you stay there are two choices of accommodation to pick from. Option 1 would be the Sanctuary Hotel, this is very much a high end 5* grand luxury property and I would compare this to the likes of The Lodge at Pebble Beach or The Carolina at Pinehurst. It oozes class and its location right on the beach front is fantastic. It comes with a hefty price tag per night but you won’t be disappointed with what you’ve paid, for trust me. Option 2 will be the self-catering Villa’s which are far more affordable as they have a huge range which are located all around the Resort. You can stay in a basic resort view villa all the way up to a premium high level property situated on the beach and all you have to do is walk down the balcony stairs to have your feet in the sand. I personally stayed in two bedroom villa a 3 min walk from the beach and it was absolutely perfect for what I wanted and the resort can offer everything for each individual’s price ranges.

In terms of activities the island offers everything from Surfing, Fishing, and tennis to guided Kayak tours through the marsh land to all the wildlife including plenty of Alligators. For dining and shopping there is a brilliant small town just before you get to the main Kiawah gates called ‘Freshfields Village’. This offers a wide range of restaurants, cafes and shops and it’s perfect if you fancy getting out of the villa or the hotel.

Now we get on to the main activity which of course is the golf on Kiawah. The resort boasts 5 courses which are all brilliant however I would rate them in the following order;

1. Ocean Course
2. Turtle Point
3. Osprey Point
4. Cougar Point
5. Oak Point

The main event really is the Ocean course and I think it’s the best golf course I’ve ever played. Off the tips it’s around 7400 but it can be played over 8000 which they’ve never actually done and I’m not surprised as it’s a monster at 7400! It’s very much a links style golf course however it still has that American feel to it and offers fairly large landing areas off the tee but your 2nd shot into the greens is where it really starts to get interesting… make sure you have plenty of golf balls! The layout is superb and there’s never an average hole and the finishing stretch from 13th – 18th back to clubhouse are holes you’ll never forget.

After the round you can sit right in front of the clubhouse looking over the 18th with the Atlantic in the background and enjoy a well-earned drink in the sunshine."

Kiawah is only 30 miles from our offices in Charleston, so it sounds like I need to get an excuse to get back out there... Maybe on my next trip...!

Thanks, Guy

I stayed in the Lodge at Pebble Beach and the Sanctuary at Kiawah last year. The Sanctuary is far, far nicer than the lodge. And I agree that the Ocean Course can stand up in a comparison to any golf course.

Driver Callaway GBB 10.5*
3, 5, 7 Woods/Hybrids Callaway XR
Irons Ping G30 5-U
Wedge Cleveland 588 58*
Putter Cameron Newport 2

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 dpb5031

dpb5031

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67947
GolfWRX Likes : 1616

Posted 16 July 2016 - 09:22 AM

If getting away from the winter cold is a priority I highly recommend the Dominican Republic.  Casa de Campo's Teeth of the Dog & Dye Fore, and Punta Espada & Corales in the Punta Cana area.  Good weather pretty much guaranteed January-March, and quick/easy Direct flights from the northeastern US.

#52 Golfbreaks.com

Golfbreaks.com

Golfbreaks.com

• Sponsors
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:08 PM

View Postduffer987, on 15 July 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

Yikes! How the heck is Lahinch not on that list... in the #1 or #2 spot as well.

Cashen course shouldn't be anywhere near a top 7 of Irish courses IMHO and I put my opinions about Old Head above ;)

I'd happily drop Cashen, Old Head, and Killarney, add Lahinch and swap in European Club, The Island, Baltray, or Portmarnock with Dublin as a second base along with somewhere like Listowel for the SW.

Obviously it's a splitting hairs thing and a good 'problem' to have, but IMHO if someone took that tour they'd still have a great time (it's golf in Ireland after all!) but they'd really be missing some top tracks, to play some rather middling ones, all things considered.

All good points (and great courses). It's definitely a personal thing.

Kevin does have some strong views on Irish courses and admits that he will often pass by the big names to play the lesser known courses based on their merits. Also to be fair to him, the brief we gave him for the best ever Irish Vacation was to take into account the overall experience (not just the golf), which includes driving time and the general craic!

If you're interested, you can see Kevin's Top 10 Courses in Ireland here.

It potentially throws up a few surprises!

Thanks, Guy

#53 puttnforthe8

puttnforthe8

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88323
GolfWRX Likes : 340

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:19 PM

View PostEnzogorlami, on 27 May 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

1. We-Ko-Pa Cholla
2. Troon North Monument
4. Gray Hawk Raptor
5. Quintero

Thanks, Guy

Tpc stadium is definitely not in the top 5. we ko pa saguaro, verrado, and southern dunes would all come before the stadium course on my list.

Monument is not even the best Troon North course!  Terrible list!

#54 Enzogorlami

Enzogorlami

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:40 PM

View Postputtnforthe8, on 19 July 2016 - 12:19 PM, said:

View PostEnzogorlami, on 27 May 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

1. We-Ko-Pa Cholla
2. Troon North Monument
4. Gray Hawk Raptor
5. Quintero

Thanks, Guy

Monument is not even the best Troon North course!  Terrible list!
True that

#55 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:39 AM

View PostGolfbreaks.com, on 15 July 2016 - 08:14 AM, said:

Yes, I've heard great things about the Bali Nirwana Golf Resort. My brother in law recently played it! Nice pictures @asw7576 - thanks.

As we were previously talking Ireland, I have put below Kevin Markham's picks for his"Ultimate 7 day Golf Vacation to Ireland". Kevin is the man who has played EVERY course in Ireland and written a book about it "Driving the Green"! So, I can safely say that he truly is an authority on Irish Golf (and a lucky man!). We asked him what his top Irish trip would be a few months back and here are his picks...

Ireland’s Best Ever Trip:
1. Ballybunion Old
2. Ballybunion Cashen
3. Tralee
4. Waterville
5. Dooks
6. Old Head   -  yup, Kevin is an Old Head fan!
7. Killarney

His other recommended courses to consider are:   Ceann Sibeal, Lahinch, Doonbeg, Castlegregory, Cork, Fota Island, Bantry Bay.

Do you agree? What would your top seven Irish Courses? Or if you haven't been there, which Irish courses are on your wish list?.

Thanks, Guy

I would replace Ballybunion Cashen with either Lahinch or Doonbeg.  Both are much better choices.

#56 katbird

katbird

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11007
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:32 AM

I'm not a card-carrying golf club member....just a life-time muniman who loves the game.  I decided this year to go to Scotland and will include a few rounds there just like here, driving down a few fairways during my 3 week stay driving through beautiful country.  I chose to go there in Autumn because we have no such weather here in Florida, USA, and THAT is as much a draw as is the history and culture I visit.  A morning or afternoon round during a day of sightseeing there is an extra bonus quite specific to Scotland from where I'll bring back memories of the unique experience of Scottish munis there.

I'm traveling solo and have decided to stay in Airbnb homes (my 1st experience) since I'll be out on the road virtually all day and night....no need for hotels that would see so little of me.  I've selected four area "base camps" from which I can get most anywhere in a couple of hours of an interesting drive.  I like such road trips.

The itinerary takes me south of Glasgow for a few days where I'll play muni links in Ayr, Girvan, Troon and Prestwick St. Nicholas.  From Ayr I head north to central Scotland and Aviemore for a nice tour of the Highlands and just 15 minutes from Boat of Garten, a highly recommended parkland course.

I'll be staying a few days in Golspie, where Donald Ross got his start (who has a major roadway named for him here in Palm Beach County).  There I'll play Golspie, Brora and Tain, and midway through the scenic drive to the far north I'll drive out and in on the 9-hole Durness Golf Club.  Heading back south I'll play an interesting muni I found in Hopeman.

My last stop is near Stirling for access to the lower Highlands, Fife and Edinburgh.  After a weekend of jazz and blues in Callendar, I'll play Aberdour on the north side of the Firth across from Edinburgh, Braid Hills in Edinburgh, (James Braid THE Scot designer alongside Donald Ross and old Tom Morris), and perhaps one other.  

I don't know if I'll get to play all of these courses given how much there's to do and see in Scotland, even in three weeks. Still, that's about 8-10 rounds in 22 days.  All munis.  Interestingly most are described as "short" and that works great for me, a short hitter who relies on a good greenside game to shoot his 90 H.C.  

Many of the clubs neighbor more famous courses that are recommend here, I know, but those (Prestwick, Royal Troon, Royal Dornoch, The Old Course and its kin, Kingbarns, and North Berwick) are 2x-3x the price and while well worth the fee, golf is not THE destination of my vacation...but playing authentic links golf is a real bonus that will provide many fond memories when I get home.  It's a vacation balanced between dives through nature, drinks at pubs, and drives down fairways. Can't wait to get there.

Edited by katbird, 02 August 2016 - 07:31 AM.

TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
TM Spider 72M
WITB Link

#57 Papa Johick

Papa Johick

My Girl Duffners

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205685
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 5878

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:15 AM

View Postoldschoolrocker, on 20 April 2016 - 04:55 PM, said:

Nestled in the Lowcountry of South Carolina, amid the live oaks, meandering rivers, creeks, and marshes, lies Charleston, both a golf and Epicurean delight.  What more could one want than the golf offered on Kiawah and Seabrook Islands, and the rich culinary flavors to tempt the palate of Charleston.

Haha not sure how I'm just seeing this thread but if that ain't a good sell for the low country then o don't know what is! You should send that to the city haha
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* Speeder Evo III 565 SR
Fairway: Callaway XR 16 15* Speeder Evo FW 565 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Mini 18* Aldila Tour Green Stiff
Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour 100 3-PW DG S300
Wedge: Callaway MD3 56* C Grind & MD PM Grind 60*
Putter: Byron Morgan 34" Bombora Mystic with Salty Grip
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X/Taylormade TP5x
Grint: Jcohick

#58 duffer987

duffer987

Wants to be like DP4!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:50 AM

View Postkatbird, on 02 August 2016 - 06:32 AM, said:

I'm not a card-carrying golf club member....just a life-time muniman who loves the game.  I decided this year to go to Scotland and will include a few rounds there just like here, driving down a few fairways during my 3 week stay driving through beautiful country.  I chose to go there in Autumn because we have no such weather here in Florida, USA, and THAT is as much a draw as is the history and culture I visit.  A morning or afternoon round during a day of sightseeing there is an extra bonus quite specific to Scotland from where I'll bring back memories of the unique experience of Scottish munis there.

I'm traveling solo and have decided to stay in Airbnb homes (my 1st experience) since I'll be out on the road virtually all day and night....no need for hotels that would see so little of me.  I've selected four area "base camps" from which I can get most anywhere in a couple of hours of an interesting drive.  I like such road trips.

The itinerary takes me south of Glasgow for a few days where I'll play muni links in Ayr, Girvan, Troon and Prestwick St. Nicholas.  From Ayr I head north to central Scotland and Aviemore for a nice tour of the Highlands and just 15 minutes from Boat of Garten, a highly recommended parkland course.

I'll be staying a few days in Golspie, where Donald Ross got his start (who has a major roadway named for him here in Palm Beach County).  There I'll play Golspie, Brora and Tain, and midway through the scenic drive to the far north I'll drive out and in on the 9-hole Durness Golf Club.  Heading back south I'll play an interesting muni I found in Hopeman.

My last stop is near Stirling for access to the lower Highlands, Fife and Edinburgh.  After a weekend of jazz and blues in Callendar, I'll play Aberdour on the north side of the Firth across from Edinburgh, Braid Hills in Edinburgh, (James Braid THE Scot designer alongside Donald Ross and old Tom Morris), and perhaps one other.  

I don't know if I'll get to play all of these courses given how much there's to do and see in Scotland, even in three weeks. Still, that's about 8-10 rounds in 22 days.  All munis.  Interestingly most are described as "short" and that works great for me, a short hitter who relies on a good greenside game to shoot his 90 H.C.  

Many of the clubs neighbor more famous courses that are recommend here, I know, but those (Prestwick, Royal Troon, Royal Dornoch, The Old Course and its kin, Kingbarns, and North Berwick) are 2x-3x the price and while well worth the fee, golf is not THE destination of my vacation...but playing authentic links golf is a real bonus that will provide many fond memories when I get home.  It's a vacation balanced between dives through nature, drinks at pubs, and drives down fairways. Can't wait to get there.

3 weeks in Scotland will be fantastic. Bring along a good rain jacket and waterproof shoes and you are set.
I can appreciate the theme of playing these courses and also that you're not super keen on going down the typical tourist tracks, but if you really enjoy playing the game of golf I think you are doing yourself a big disservice by not at least playing one of Prestwick or North Berwick while you are there and especially if you are in the neighbourhood.

If you're not a big hitter, Berwick would be the better option, and if you like being out of the way, there is a neat little village of Gifford a short drive away that has a very reasonably priced village inn, with an excellent pub for dinner right across the street :)

Just to be 'that guy' James Braid actually has no association with Braid Hills, apart from sharing a name ;)
Anyways, enjoy the pubs, the countryside, and all the rest of it. Have a fantastic trip!

Edited by duffer987, 02 August 2016 - 10:50 AM.

#59 katbird

katbird

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:56 AM

Thanks Duff....
TM Spider 72M
WITB Link

#60 katbird

katbird

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:16 AM

Hey Duff....Just confirmed the Braid courses I'll be playing...Girvan, Boat of Garten, Brora and Golspie...
Now I may have to play Royal Dornoch after all if I'm to make the connection to Donald Ross (we have DR connections here in Palm Beach County, and have played Pinehurst #2 and even a backcountry track in Palatka, Florida).

Edited by katbird, 04 August 2016 - 07:32 AM.

TM Spider 72M
WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Also tagged with Golf, Vacation, Trip, Worldwide, Golfbreaks.com, Reviews, Best, Destination, Holiday, Course

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors