Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What are the World's Best Golf Trip Destinations? We want your Views! Golfbreaks.com

Golf Vacation Trip Worldwide Golfbreaks.com Reviews Best Destination Holiday Course

127 replies to this topic

#121 Andrew Bond of Glencoe

Andrew Bond of Glencoe

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371925
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 274

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

My favorite trip thus far has been Scotland

Day #1 Musselburgh Old Course - one of the oldest courses in the world and one of the original Open Rota Courses

Day #2 North Berwick (Scotland's Pebble Beach)

Day #3 Muirfield (Enough Said)

Day #4 Prestwick (Home of the Open Championship)

Day #5 - Troon (not my favorite)

Day #6 - St Andrews New Course

Day # 7 - St Andrews Old Course

Day # 8 - Carnoustie (yah it's tough)

I would drop Troon if I had to do it again but would like to add Shiskine and Machrahanish.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#122 Andrew Bond of Glencoe

Andrew Bond of Glencoe

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371925
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 274

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:11 PM

In the USA I haven't found anywhere that tops Bandon Dunes Golf Resort- so many great courses in one place in a quiet little town. If my wife left me and I didn't care about money I would become a resident and play all of my golf there.

#123 sir_templar2

sir_templar2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405988
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:27 AM

View Postoldpalchamp, on 24 April 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

While I've never been, golf in New Zealand looks incredible.  Cape Kidnappers and Kauri Cliffs are both visually spectacular. And while I'm thinking about that area, there are some great courses in Australia.

Having recently completed a golf trip of a lifetime to Australia and New Zealand, I can't say enough about those destinations! My buddy and I were able to play a number of top 100 in the world courses and they were fantastic! We visited Tasmania and played Barnbougle Links and Barnbougle Dunes. Then we went to King Island and played Cape Wickham Links and Ocean Dunes. Then we went to Moonah and played Moonah Links and St. Andrews Beach. Back to Melbourne to play Kingston Heath, then Royal Melbourne East and West. Next we flew to NZ to play Cape Kidnappers and Kauri Cliffs. It was an expensive trip, but soooo worth it!! I highly recommend it.
Callaway GBB Epic 9° Project X HZRDUS 55 6.0
Titleist 915F 15.0 Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70
Titleist 915H 21.0 Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70
Callaway XR Pro 4-AW KBS Tour V90
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56° (bent to 55°) KBS Tour V Wedge
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 60° KBS Tour V Wedge
Scotty Cameron Select Newport, 34" 2° flat

#124 Stinger26

Stinger26

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466638
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:41 PM

View Postob18, on 15 April 2016 - 06:16 PM, said:

I'd suggest the Orlando, FL area.............it to me offers a wide range of golf courses, places to eat, & most importantly a large range of places to stay from hotels to large homes.

I've been using this area almost exclusively for the past 10 years.
I second the Orlando opinion. So many good tracks and a lot of good deals to be found on golfnow. During our recent trip we played grand cypress new, bay hill (no discounts here), crooked cat (my favorite layout of them all), ritz carlton (best conditions of them all), and waldorf astoria. There are many more I want to play - just ran out of time.
Callaway TI Epic Sub Zero 9* - Kuro Kage XT 70 X (44.5") D4
Callaway TI XR 16 Pro 14* - Fujikura Atmos Black (42.75") D3
Titleist 712 U 2 - Project X HZRDUS Black 105g 6.5 D3
Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron - Nippon Super Peening Blue X D3
Titleist 716 CB 4-PW - Nippon Super Peening Blue X D3
Titleist F Grind 51 - TT DG Onyx TI S400 D4.5
Titleist S Grind 55 - TT DG Onyx TI S400 D4.5
Titleist M Grind 59 - TT DG Onyx TI S400 D4.5
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 35"

#125 Randalltmiller

Randalltmiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476680
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:22 PM

Palm Springs and Kohler, WI

#126 cbole22

cbole22

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 255780
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:cbole2
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:17 AM

Of the Places I've Played Here are my Top 5
1. Scotland Old Course & Kings Barns
2. Kiawah island
3. Kohler In Wisconsin
4. Scottsdale
5. Pinehurst

#127 TigerTom

TigerTom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477368
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:14 AM

Noticed most post are focusing on the US and the British Isles so decided to mention a destination that may seem a little out of the box: Portugal.

This is a country where you can play golf all year round. The temperature in Lisbon averages 52ºF in January and 73ºF in August – is warmer in the Algarve. All this at comparatively very affordable rates.

In the Lisbon regain not only do you get one of the trendiest cities in Europe with the culture, the restaurants, the views and the beach but you also get very nice courses. I would suggest:
Oitavos Dunes, Quinta da Marinha, Estoril and Penha Longa in the Cascais area. Troia is a quick trip south and Praia del Rey, Royal Obidos and West Cliffs are a quick trip north. So that is two long weekens right there.

If you decide to go south, you hit the golf jackpot. With over 30 courses and pristine beaches not to mention the food - Algarve is a golfer’s paradise. You can choose a base and stay put or you can drive around and do the pick of the lot. I would say that the top three spots would be:

East Algarve (around Tavira) where you can play Monte Rey, Quinta de Cima and Quinta da Ria

Central Algarve (around Vilamoura) where you have lots of options the best being Vale do Lobo Royal and Vale do Lobo Ocean, San Lorenzo, Laranjal and Victoria

In the west (around Portimão) you have Palmares, Faldo, OConnor and Penina

Vale do Lobo Royal:

Posted Image

Penha Longa:

Posted Image

Praia del Rey:

Posted Image

#128 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3417
  • Handicap:12.5
  • Ebay ID:sstclairs
GolfWRX Likes : 551

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:37 PM

View PostTexsport, on 29 December 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

View Postduffer987, on 29 December 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

View PostTexsport, on 28 December 2016 - 08:33 PM, said:

You might wish to study this Top 100 U S Public Courses list -  just published, and based on up-to-date 2016 reviews only!

Compiled from over 200,000 golfing member's responses - a whole lot more than any magazine with raters!

https://www.mygolfsp...2016-mygolfspy/

Very interesting results - no advertising involved to boost rankings - quite a different ranking list than magazines post.

2 of my favorite courses in Minnesota are highly ranked:

The Quarry@Giants Ridge is #8/100

The Legend@Giants Ridge is #28/100

Texsport

I've not LOL'd at a list of "Top 100 Golf Courses" before. Thanks for the link :)
That crowd-sourced list makes GD's list look like it's done by PHds.

I am a PhD and know that you can buy your rating on many of the magazine lists - a very well known fact.

For this list, a course must have had 30 reviews posted - no reviews - no ranking! So the list is somewhat a popularity contest.

Also, if you're continuously bombarded with propaganda/advertizing/high magazine ratings for a course, you naturally start
to believe it.

Some famous courses are so over rated it's ridiculous - my 2 favorite examples being Pebble Beach and Pinehurst #2. I've played both several times, but would never go again - overly expensive, out of the way, and not nearly deserving of the fame they enjoy.

For those who haven't played the Bandon courses, do it - or else you have no basis for judging the best IMO.

Also, if you're not playing from the tips, you aren't playing courses at their maximum and best. Hard to judge part of courses. I see hackers giving opinions on the quality of courses and have to scratch my head.

Texsport

I'm not fortunate to have played that many destinations, but Blunder is 100% correct: you can base your judgments on a list from what you do know. I know the AZ courses, not as welll as Matt, but certainly well enough to know the AZ list is garbage. If the AZ list is garbage, the other places on the list probably are as well.

Your PhD should tell you that any list can be a good or poor reflection of "reality", depending on who is surveyed, the survey choices, and a host of other factors. But the quality should be judged by knowledgeable players with a high degree of experience with the courses. The AZ sub forum (the SW forum) has remarkable participation from many local players and the degree of consensus about the best courses is very high. There are always one or two polarizing courses but agreement is much greater than disagreement.

As far as playing from the tips, pretty ridiculous statement. Well designed courses should have the teeboxes adjusted in such a way that the hazards are brought into play to the same degree. Sure there are exceptions, like 25 caps that still hit the ball 300, and 5 caps that can't drive the ball more than 200, but those are just that, exceptions. It is reasonable to expect that most designers realize that their courses are going to be played by players of all skill levels and handicaps, and - since you are a PhD you should understand this - therefore the distribution of likely players will fit the usual distribution of skill levels and handicaps found in the golfing population. Few courses are designed from the get go to be courses that will host major championships, and even those are going to be played by single digit caps some of the time and double digit caps most of the time.

But of course, how dare those hackers imagine that they are allowed to have an opinion!?! I must have missed that part of the statistics courses you took, the part that confirms that valid opinions about golf architecture can only come from golfers who play from the tips. Enjoy your snobbery.

Edited by DrSchteeve, 19 August 2017 - 06:36 PM.

Callaway Epic Driver and 3 wood Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Callaway GBB 3 wood clocked to 17 KK Silver Tini
Cobra Max 3, 5, 6 Hybrids
Cobra Max 7-SW
Scratch DD 60
TM Tour Spider Day
OUUL stand bag
Volvik Vivid

Also tagged with Golf, Vacation, Trip, Worldwide, Golfbreaks.com, Reviews, Best, Destination, Holiday, Course

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors