Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Update: Srixon Q star vs Wilson Duo vs Wilson 50... 50 Elite!!! What a ball!!!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 mvhoffman

mvhoffman

Mikey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 239415
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 392

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:00 PM

Title pretty much says it.  I play the Q star now, looking for a comparison between the 3.

Edited by mvhoffman, 28 March 2016 - 11:20 AM.

Driver - Cobra King F7 dual weight @ 12.5D w Project X PXv Red shaft S/X
Fairway wood -  Cobra F6 4-5 Wood @ 18.5D w Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue AR shaft
Hybrid - Cobra F6 4-5 Hybrid @ 23.5D w White Matrix Ozik Program S shaft
Irons/Wedges - Cobra Amp Cell Silver 5 - LW w TT multi-step custom fit shafts
Putter - Bastain Milled Fusion Golf Prototype 5 of 5 w UST FF shaft
Ball - Top Flite Gamer - Truvis Pattern
Grips - Karma Tour Velvet Standard Ribbed
Putter Grip: Ping PP58 Midsize

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Awesomeguy887

Awesomeguy887

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199534
GolfWRX Likes : 215

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:54 PM

Duo is softer.  Both are two piece surlyn so playing characteristics are pretty similar.  Might get a little more spin from the Q Star.
Ping G30 SFT 12
Ping G5 3W
Ping G Crossover 4
Ping G15 4 - U
Vokey SM6 56.14, 60.04
Odyssey White Hot XG #7

#3 J M Brown

J M Brown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 356367
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:58 PM

I got a dozen Wilson Duos at a Chinese Christmas party last year but haven't played them yet.  Looking forward to giving them a try.

#4 ob18

ob18

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400786
GolfWRX Likes : 244

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:04 PM

View Postmvhoffman, on 21 March 2016 - 06:00 PM, said:

Title pretty much says it.  I play the Q star now, looking for a comparison between the 2.

Only played & currently have the Q in the bag.
10* Callaway XR Driver
15* Nickent 3 Wood
18* Nickent F30 Hybrid
Taylormade M2 Irons - 5 iron to A wedge
54*, 58* Cleveland RTX 2.0 Wedges
Taylormade Ardmore 2 "L" Neck Putter

#5 Seaze21

Seaze21

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400958
  • Handicap:8.8
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:02 PM

I have played both side by side and the Duo is a bit softer and longer, the Q-Star offers a bit more spin and a bit more hold.

Can't go wrong either way, now if you compare the Duo-U it's a very different story.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver  (2 APW Weights)
Callaway '14 Bug Bertha 5 Wood  (set up as a 4W)
Callaway Big Bertha V-Series Heavenwood
TaylorMade '14 Tour Preferred MC 4-9
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Wedges: 46°, 50°, 54°, 58°
Brainstorm Golf Happy Putter

Occasionally the TP MC 3 Iron replaces the Heavenwood on windy days or other certain courses that a lower flight is in order.

#6 D_money

D_money

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 402904
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:26 PM

I like the 50 elite more than the duo. Much cheaper than both of the ones u listed and I feel it atleast has as much spin as the q star.
Trending better.

#7 mvhoffman

mvhoffman

Mikey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:35 AM

View PostD_money, on 21 March 2016 - 11:26 PM, said:

I like the 50 elite more than the duo. Much cheaper than both of the ones u listed and I feel it atleast has as much spin as the q star.

thanks, I'm going to change the title...

#8 Golf64

Golf64

Go Habs Go!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104067
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 2973

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:13 AM

To me they pretty much perform the same. But at 1/2 the price I prefer the Wilson 50s.

Edited by Golf64, 12 May 2018 - 06:54 AM.

Ping Hoofer
Under construction

Super Bowl LII Champions
Fly Eagles Fly

#9 BigBirdie

BigBirdie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413780
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:17 AM

I was honestly just thinking about this exact comparison.  I have $150 in reward points to use up at Kmart/Sears and it looks like my best choice for balls are one of these three, so will be watching for what others say.

#10 Boricua Golf

Boricua Golf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137445
  • Handicap:3.3
  • Ebay ID:luisito11*11
GolfWRX Likes : 1365

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:20 AM

I have not played the Wilson 50, I think the main difference between the Duo and the Q Star is spin, back when I played them, I saw better control with the Q Star, both felt about the same, the Duo maybe a bit softer...hope this helps a bit...

Driver---------------Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Tour 65X, tipped 1", 44.25"
FW Wood----------Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
Hybrid---------------Ping G 19*, Tour AD-DI 105X
Irons-----------------Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
Wedges-------------Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
Putter----------------Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour  32.75", built up Pingman Grip (Ping Oslo and Ping Nome TR as backup 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0)
Golf Ball-------------2017 Pro V1, K-Sigs and Chrome Soft X

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 mvhoffman

mvhoffman

Mikey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:50 AM

I just hit up amazon for a 10 dozen of Wilson 50's.  They were there and for Prime, cant really complain.  I'm going to try them out on Saturday compared to Srixon.  I'm going to wait and see which one I like between those two.  I know how the Srixons play for me, weakness and strength.  I will see how these compare.  If I do like them I will purchase and try some Duo's out and compare between them.  I don't really think I will end up seeing much difference between the Wilsons.  I am very comfortable with the Qstars.  They have knocked the Rocketballz balls out of my bag as well as Top Flite Gamers.  I can however play the Qstar/Ad333 and swap between them and the Top Flite D2+ feel and really tell no difference.  I have been a Pro V guy for a long time, but there are so many different offerings out there these days.  I never once thought I'd be comparing 10$ a dozen golf balls.  Its like a little journey in itself.

Edited by mvhoffman, 22 March 2016 - 08:50 AM.

#12 kabal57

kabal57

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55558
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:19 AM

I stocked up on the 50s, I like the feel and spin they offer, but just can't shake the short perception. Everything i read about them said they were shorter, and I played them for awhile, and they definitely are short off the driver for me. There has been a ton of times I've hit what looked like awesome drives, only to get to the ball and find it short, like 230ish. Switched to a z star last week and hit 5 drives 250+ according to my gps.
Tested some shag 50s at the range vs range balls, z stars and duos and they launched lower with less distance.. So the 50 is out for me.

#13 mvhoffman

mvhoffman

Mikey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:53 AM

View Postkabal57, on 22 March 2016 - 11:19 AM, said:

I stocked up on the 50s, I like the feel and spin they offer, but just can't shake the short perception. Everything i read about them said they were shorter, and I played them for awhile, and they definitely are short off the driver for me. There has been a ton of times I've hit what looked like awesome drives, only to get to the ball and find it short, like 230ish. Switched to a z star last week and hit 5 drives 250+ according to my gps.
Tested some shag 50s at the range vs range balls, z stars and duos and they launched lower with less distance.. So the 50 is out for me.

that's why I only bought a dozen

#14 kabal57

kabal57

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55558
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:25 PM

View Postmvhoffman, on 22 March 2016 - 11:53 AM, said:

View Postkabal57, on 22 March 2016 - 11:19 AM, said:

that's why I only bought a dozen
I bought like 7 dozen from budget golf for $7/doz, probably still have 3 doz left.. I'd look elsewhere from the 50.
they putt great, chip well, and have a surprising amount of spin for such a cheap ball, the distance is killer for me though.
My buddy plays the duo and absolutely murders the ball, they seem to be a good alternative to the q star.

#15 Mikeybgood1

Mikeybgood1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415984
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:46 PM

I went on a golf ball odyssey last year look for 'the' ball. Still looking, lol. I tried the 50, the Duo, Nike Black 2.0, NXT, Project(a), E6, Pro V1 and 1X. Found the low compression balls didn't provide the distance (driver SS of 100-105), and from the fairway with the 3W/3H/4I it was an adventure to keep them straight and long.

The special purpose ball like the E6 didn't really reduce my side spin. In fact the first one I teed up with the driver was a missile into the trees right at like Mach 5. The Project (a) was uninspiring, and the Titleist balls do what they are supposed to do. I just don't dig paying $60 a dozen for them up here in Canada. I tried to like the NXT, but played poorly the day I pulled out a sleeve of them, so maybe the NXT(s)?

Went and did an 'online fitting' for a ball, and was given the Q-Star as a suggested ball. I like what I've read about it, and have been putting indoors with them for a couple weeks now, so we'll see. I'm always leery of launch monitor numbers, so we'll see once I get them outside.

I think the low compression balls, meant for the slower swing speeds, can definitely get the ball out there for people. I found I lost about 20 yards off the tee from a higher compression ball, and they don't give me the spin I'm looking for with approach shots. The Q Star with a 77 compression will match better I think with club head speed. Has a thick cover compared to the Z Star, so we'll see how it feels off the club face. The 'Spin Skin' cover I'm hoping will check the ball a little more on those 30-50 yard pitch shots.

#16 ob18

ob18

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400786
GolfWRX Likes : 244

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:58 PM

View PostMikeybgood1, on 22 March 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

I went on a golf ball odyssey last year look for 'the' ball. Still looking, lol. I tried the 50, the Duo, Nike Black 2.0, NXT, Project(a), E6, Pro V1 and 1X. Found the low compression balls didn't provide the distance (driver SS of 100-105), and from the fairway with the 3W/3H/4I it was an adventure to keep them straight and long.

The special purpose ball like the E6 didn't really reduce my side spin. In fact the first one I teed up with the driver was a missile into the trees right at like Mach 5. The Project (a) was uninspiring, and the Titleist balls do what they are supposed to do. I just don't dig paying $60 a dozen for them up here in Canada. I tried to like the NXT, but played poorly the day I pulled out a sleeve of them, so maybe the NXT(s)?

Went and did an 'online fitting' for a ball, and was given the Q-Star as a suggested ball. I like what I've read about it, and have been putting indoors with them for a couple weeks now, so we'll see. I'm always leery of launch monitor numbers, so we'll see once I get them outside.

I think the low compression balls, meant for the slower swing speeds, can definitely get the ball out there for people. I found I lost about 20 yards off the tee from a higher compression ball, and they don't give me the spin I'm looking for with approach shots. The Q Star with a 77 compression will match better I think with club head speed. Has a thick cover compared to the Z Star, so we'll see how it feels off the club face. The 'Spin Skin' cover I'm hoping will check the ball a little more on those 30-50 yard pitch shots.

I like the Q-star but it's got a medium launch rating.........I may go back to the gamers which launch low or so it says.  My journey has been interesting, costly, & annoying.
10* Callaway XR Driver
15* Nickent 3 Wood
18* Nickent F30 Hybrid
Taylormade M2 Irons - 5 iron to A wedge
54*, 58* Cleveland RTX 2.0 Wedges
Taylormade Ardmore 2 "L" Neck Putter

#17 mvhoffman

mvhoffman

Mikey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:09 PM

So the Elite 50's came last night, unfortunately after I played 9 so I didn't get to use them.  I did chip and putt in our extra room.  I got the ball to check up on carpet.  Not only did it check up, but it completely checked up and changed direction, etc.  it is an extremely quiet ball.  It sounds very soft which is what I was looking for.  I'm playing 18 tomorrow, I will update after its over.

#18 tjumper78

tjumper78

Fore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123314
  • Handicap:8.1
GolfWRX Likes : 172

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:55 PM

duo is all distance. i liked the soft feel but i would often fly the greens with short irons and 100+ yard wedge shots.
q-star does everything well but its performance never really stood out from the pack of similar balls.  i never liked the feel tho (old and current).
50 is my favorite non-urethane ball because i get such great spin with it.  on wet/soggy days or when i go play drunk golf at unfamiliar courses with friends, i play 50.

#19 mvhoffman

mvhoffman

Mikey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:36 AM

WOW!!!

So I played a round using the 50 Elite, or Elite 50... whatever.  WHAT A BALL.  I have tried many.  I was a Pro V user for a long time until I realized I needed a whole lot less side spin.  Recently have been using Srixon AD333/Q-star, until now.

11:30 am 48* with slight wind
First hole par 5, 500+ yards:
So it started out with the first drive.  The ball is "soft" it has such a nice muted sound.  It is a sound that I prefer.  I could feel the ball compress on the face enough that I knew where on the face I had hit it.  Unlike some distance balls out there which just fires off the face.   Second shot was with a 7 wood to about 30 yards, again felt wonderful, flew with a middle trajectory.  3rd shot was from approx. 30 yards to an elevated pin in the back of the green.  Flew the ball all the way to the hole and it stopped.  Not hit and run a little, I opened the face up and it stopped.  It was wonderful and unexpected.  4th shot (15 ft birdie putt), extremely muted "feel" off of the putter (again which I highly prefer) felt quiet, not dead.  It was a very responsive ball, just a quiet one...  blew the putt bye by 8 feet, missed par putt as well (my putting was horrible Sat)

This continued for the majority of the day.  At no point was I unimpressed with this ball.  It drew, it faded, it went high, it stayed low, it stopped on a dime, it rolled out, it checked and rolled, it spun back.  I can't believe how impressed I am with this ball.  I know it sounds weird to say this, but I was more impressed with this ball than ANY premium ball that is out there.

The condition of the ball did not dampen either.  Now I'm not a great golfer.  It was the first round of the year for me.  I hit misses and blocks.  The ball hit a few trees, hit the cart path twice, and honestly, you couldn't tell.  Not even  a scuff.  I am so impressed with this ball that I am writing a review to Wilson.  I don't know if I even want to try the Duo.  I'm so happy with this ball that I'm going to stock up.  All the different colors.  Pink, Orange, Yellow, White.  Cant say enough about the ball.

This is completely my opinion.  It really worked for me.  If you had another experience, I'm sorry to hear.

#20 oldschoolrocker

oldschoolrocker

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126943
GolfWRX Likes : 4318

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:28 AM

Long time Duo user that since January has been playing the Q-STAR.
Played yesterday( hickory set) with the 50 Elite, and was quite impressed with it.  Did everything I asked it to do, and felt it had a more penetrating ball flight than the Duo, or Q-STAR.
Didn’t have the stopping power of the Q-STAR, but, with the hickory set that wasn’t an issue.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 glk23

glk23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204261
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:55 PM

IMO, the 50 Elite is the best of the Wilson non premium balls.  I also think it is a better ball than the Q star at almost half the price.  If I lose any distance with the 50 it is not much.  I like the feel of it over the Duo as it feels less "mushy" to me.  After some rain and a little cooler weather, I decide to play a 50 today.  I quickly remembered why I like this ball; it feel nice off all clubs, flies high and true, spins enough and putts nicely.  Being able to pick them up for around $13 does't hurt either.

#22 Bobb3rdown

Bobb3rdown

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 501346
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:09 PM

Picked up some new q stars today and played 18 with them. Pro shop had em om sale for $16/dozen. Liked them a lot. More so then the duo spins I've been playing. One hopped a 4 iron from 190 out. I've never been able to do that before. And the ball feels very nice coming off the putter as well.
Titleist 910D2 9.5° c1
Titleist 917f2 15° c1
Titleist 816h2 19° b1
Titleist Ap2 716 4-gw
Cleveland rtx3 54,58
Ping sigma g darby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors