Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Pinehurst No2 - to Caddie or not to Caddie

56 replies to this topic

#31 fairways4life

fairways4life

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103145
GolfWRX Likes : 852

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

dlygrisse, on 16 March 2016 - 03:05 PM, said:

Main thing about #2 ( I have played 3 rounds) is reading the greens.  I read greens pretty good but those things are a mystery unless you have played them a few times.  You can literally putt the ball off the green and it will go down a slope 20 yards from the green if you aren't careful on some holes.  A caddy is invaluable around the greens.

I remember one time on #17 I was above the hole about 15 feet straight down hill.  I said it breaks about 2 feet left to right, correct?  he looked and said no, right edge putt, just tap it..  I hit it right where he told me and drained it dead center.  Probably saved me 5 or 6 strokes the first round.

Double bagging would be fine, even selecting clubs is not that difficult, but get a caddy and make sure they read putts for you, every single putt the first round.  You will be happy you did.

Glad you got a good read! (I'm guessing the pin was front-left that day and you were putting from the back-left ;)

We always say: "The putts don't change, only the people hitting them."

Edited by fairways4life, 16 March 2016 - 03:15 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,812 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 7326

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:10 AM

fairways4life, on 16 March 2016 - 03:13 PM, said:

dlygrisse, on 16 March 2016 - 03:05 PM, said:

Main thing about #2 ( I have played 3 rounds) is reading the greens.  I read greens pretty good but those things are a mystery unless you have played them a few times.  You can literally putt the ball off the green and it will go down a slope 20 yards from the green if you aren't careful on some holes.  A caddy is invaluable around the greens.

I remember one time on #17 I was above the hole about 15 feet straight down hill.  I said it breaks about 2 feet left to right, correct?  he looked and said no, right edge putt, just tap it..  I hit it right where he told me and drained it dead center.  Probably saved me 5 or 6 strokes the first round.

Double bagging would be fine, even selecting clubs is not that difficult, but get a caddy and make sure they read putts for you, every single putt the first round.  You will be happy you did.

Glad you got a good read! (I'm guessing the pin was front-left that day and you were putting from the back-left ;)

We always say: "The putts don't change, only the people hitting them."

You sir are correct.
Current 17 club rotation
Callaway GBB/Ping G400
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway Steelhead 4 and 5 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Jones Utility
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

#33 avgjoe

avgjoe

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,063 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87610
GolfWRX Likes : 706

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:09 PM

ok I'm dumb.... what does the forecaddie do?

#34 Argonne69

Argonne69

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,642 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
GolfWRX Likes : 25981

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:07 PM

avgjoe, on 18 March 2016 - 04:09 PM, said:

ok I'm dumb.... what does the forecaddie do?

A forecaddie provides services to the entire group, including a) providing advice on the tee box, e.g. target line, b) locating balls off the tee (by running ahead of the group and positioning themselves in the landing area, c) advice on the approach shot, d) green reading, e) bunker raking, f) club/ball cleaning, g) etc.

Basically, the FC provides caddie services to the entire group except carrying clubs. FC's are often used when carts are provided, so the FC adds a 5th set of eyes for the group.

I personally prefer my own caddie, but a forecaddie can certainly improve the experience by providing the little things that allow one to focus on the round. Having someone positioned in the landing area alone can help speed up play. It's nice to drive up, and have the FC pointing to your ball in the thick rough.

Edited by Argonne69, 18 March 2016 - 06:08 PM.

#35 BSprink

BSprink

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 273427
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for the all the feedback guys.  Had a fun trip.  The caddie made the experience much more enjoyable!..  Here are a few pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• PH0.JPG
  • PH1.JPG
  • PH2.JPG
  • PH3.JPG

#36 DoubleorQuits

DoubleorQuits

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348651
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:55 PM

Every time I have played  No. 2 the caddies have been great.  Highly recommend people utilize them.

#37 spineshank

spineshank

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138420
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:48 AM

I played back in November, no caddie. The greens destroyed me. I would get a caddie next time I play.
Ping G400 LST 10*
Taylormade M2 15*
Callaway Apex 18*
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4-PW
Cleveland 588 wedges 50* | 54* | 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

#38 gerbowski169

gerbowski169

Gerbowski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 386906
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:28 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with the prevailing double bag caddie opinion. Played there late 2014 twice and used a forecaddie and one who double bagged, and while both where great the full caddie experience is worth the cost. Also- there are some great tips on here re letting the caddie assist with reading putts- will save you more strokes than you know.

#39 vartanick

vartanick

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401672
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:58 PM

fairways4life, on 16 March 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

But the best part by far about caddying is the playing and practice privileges. Only got to play #2 once a year in our caddie tournament but the other courses (there's 9 total) were up for grabs anytime there was an open tee time. Plus all the range balls you could ever hit. Putting greens, chipping greens. We were definitely spoiled in that regard and that was a big reason that I ended up doing it for almost 5 years when I originally thought it would just be a one-summer thing haha.

thanks for all the info!!! in your opinion which are the must play courses in pinehurst??

#40 top100golfer

top100golfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 419320
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:04 AM

I would recommend a caddie. Changes the experience for the better and it is the best way to play golf. I have found that the ability to read the subtle breaks and understand the greens takes times and a good caddie will elevate the experience. Plus you save you back from carrying a bag and it is an honorable profession that I like to support.

I still remember some of the caddies I have used 10 years earlier they have had such a positive impact. No brainer choice!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,829 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 2384

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:57 PM

View PostBSprink, on 15 March 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

Hello All,

A few buddies and myself are playing No.2 this weekend and I'm trying to decide on whether or not to use their Caddie services.

I'm leaning towards "yes" just to get the full experience.  

Caddie Options are as follows...

Single Caddie: $82
Caddie carrying two bags: $56 per player
Forecaddie: $26 per player

"Our recommended caddie gratuity is $30 and up per bag for a walking caddie, and $20 per bag and up for a forecaddie."

Anyone have any experience with any of these services...?   Thoughts?  Suggestions..?

Go with a single caddie if you can afford it.  A double can be a royal pain with the caddie running around in support of two players.

#42 GPoppaPump

GPoppaPump

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117613
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

Just played No. 2 on Monday with Eric and Keith as our caddies.  They both double bagged and did a fantastic job.  If you are going to play no. 2, do it with a caddy, it just enhances the experience that much more.

#43 fairways4life

fairways4life

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103145
GolfWRX Likes : 852

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:51 PM

View Postvartanick, on 06 April 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

View Postfairways4life, on 16 March 2016 - 02:58 PM, said:

But the best part by far about caddying is the playing and practice privileges. Only got to play #2 once a year in our caddie tournament but the other courses (there's 9 total) were up for grabs anytime there was an open tee time. Plus all the range balls you could ever hit. Putting greens, chipping greens. We were definitely spoiled in that regard and that was a big reason that I ended up doing it for almost 5 years when I originally thought it would just be a one-summer thing haha.

thanks for all the info!!! in your opinion which are the must play courses in pinehurst??

Apologies for not seeing this earlier.

At the resort, obviously #2 and after that I'd go #8. Course #4 gets a lot of attention but I think it's among the most over-rated courses I've ever come across. The resort just acquired a 9th course (formerly the National Golf Club) and I've never played it but hear good things about it. Caddies are available on all 9 courses.

Outside of the resort, Mid Pines and Pine Needles are probably the next two you'd want to hit. There's a ton of threads about Pinehurst area courses.

#44 mileslong

mileslong

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157401
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:02 PM

I rank them 2, 9, 8, 7, 4 and 3, 6, 5, 1 all being great but not in the same league as the others.  I agree 4 is over rated.  They put it up there with the other top courses but I just don't see it, great course just not that great.
Ping G400 10 LST Kuro Kage DC 60TX
Cobra F6 3-4 elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra F6 Baffler elements Chrome 7F4
Ping Ie1 4-GW KBS Tour
Ping Glide 2 Stealth 54 and 58 KBS Tour
Ping Fetch
Snell Red

#45 kickinbird

kickinbird

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102252
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:25 PM

#2 is great walk
#7 is underrated if you can get on the course you should. great course.
#8 you just won't be disappointed by it, has some similar feel as #2 with the greens
#9 is a faders dream course...I love how fast the greens typically roll.
#4 and 6 are on the to do list but haven't played them yet...maybe in the fall or next spring. I keep going there more often!
1,3,5 I am going to pass on, I only get there once a year and want to play the better courses if possible. I guess #5 is the best of the rest as I understand it.

#46 mlburn39

mlburn39

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 377804
  • Handicap:3.2
  • Ebay ID:crazygoalie39
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 18 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

In my experience, if there's a caddy available, do it. It makes your experience so much better, especially on a very hard course like Pinhurst no 2. You won't get tired from carrying your bag and you'll shoot better with their advice.

#47 TheWalkingGolfer

TheWalkingGolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 488628
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 01 February 2019 - 11:18 AM

View Postfairways4life, on 15 March 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

I caddied on #2 for almost 5 years. So obviously I'm a bit biased but here's my take on it.

-- It's cart path only all the time on #2. And the carts paths are not exactly close to the fairways. Most people who ride end up actually doing more walking because of all the back and forth to the fairway and back. Not only are you walking just as much (if not more), but you're also missing the golf course. How can you enjoy it and take it all in when you're buried in a cart in the tree line? To get the full experience of the course, you have to walk the fairways. There's also no yardage markers on the cart paths or 150-yard sticks in the fairways. From the cart, you really have no idea how far you have to the green. How many clubs do you feel like lugging all the way to your ball and back (plus your rangefinder)? And if you miss a fairway and end up in the wiregrass, you don't know how much of a shot you will have and therefore won't know what you will need. With a caddie, everything you have is right there with you.

-- Don't worry about your caddie carrying two bags. We did it every day. It's the norm. And as long as you don't get a rookie without much experience, you really won't spend much time standing around waiting for your clubs. There's a method to the madness and a good caddie will be at your ball before you are.

-- A good caddie WILL save you a few shots. There's a ton of breaks on those greens that only the caddies know. Your eyes will deceive you. It's more than just the greens though. How much room is between that bunker and the green? What's behind the green? Is there fairway over there or is that all waste area? You can't always see what's up ahead and the caddie will let you know where to miss and where not to. Especially helpful when escaping the waste areas and you can't attack the green because of the lie so you have to try to dump a shot into a safe area and get it up and down for par.

-- You're already spending a small fortune to play there, may as well pay the little extra to complete the experience. How often do you get to play with a caddie? For most people, only a handful of times ever. May as well do it when you can. If anything is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Have fun and good luck. It's one hell of a test of golf.

Sorry to bring to life an old thread but I am heading to No 2 shortly and taking a caddie and trying to figure out a fair tip for good service. I was thinking $50 is fair and it sounds like it from what I read but just want a confirmation.

#48 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2427

Posted 01 February 2019 - 11:36 AM

View PostTheWalkingGolfer, on 01 February 2019 - 11:18 AM, said:

Sorry to bring to life an old thread but I am heading to No 2 shortly and taking a caddie and trying to figure out a fair tip for good service. I was thinking $50 is fair and it sounds like it from what I read but just want a confirmation.
From the Pinehurst website:

Our recommended caddie gratuity is $30 and up per bag for a walking caddie, and $20 per bag and up for a forecaddie.
With caddie fees listed at $90 for a single caddie, and $65 per bag when carrying double, I think you're in the right ballpark.  I know a fella named Keith who claims to be one of the best at Pinehurst, but I believe he spends the cold season in Florida.

#49 bhop

bhop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 507172
  • Ebay ID:b_hop

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:31 PM

Agree you're in the ballpark.  When I went years ago I asked the person behind the counter in the pro shop what was appropriate and they were very helpful.  I'd go that route if you're still unsure.  I wouldn't miss Tobacco Road on the way back to RDU, but that's just me.

#50 tiderider

tiderider

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320763
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 1070

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:03 PM

i played it over tgiving and personally do not think you need a caddie for #2 ... get a yardage book (obviously) and think about the best place to miss the green ... course, thinking and executing are two entirely different things, but i've come to believe/feel we don't need caddies for these famous courses that we haven't previously played ... a yardage book is all you need ... general rule of thumb is don't miss long on #2, and in some places, it's rather obvious that there isn't a good side to miss on ...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
GolfWRX Likes : 2427

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:07 PM

View Posttiderider, on 01 February 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

i played it over tgiving and personally do not think you need a caddie for #2 ... get a yardage book (obviously) and think about the best place to miss the green ... course, thinking and executing are two entirely different things, but i've come to believe/feel we don't need caddies for these famous courses that we haven't previously played ... a yardage book is all you need ... general rule of thumb is don't miss long on #2, and in some places, it's rather obvious that there isn't a good side to miss on ...
The option on #2 is to take a buggy and stay on the path.  You may not NEED a caddie, but its a great course to walk.

#52 tiderider

tiderider

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320763
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 1070

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:24 PM

yeah, wasn't referring to any option other than walking ...

and it's not a bad course to walk ... no dramatic ups/downs, unless you count those greens and their fall-offs ...

#53 bhop

bhop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 507172
  • Ebay ID:b_hop

Posted 01 February 2019 - 02:44 PM

For me, #2 is the one course where I wouldn't even consider going out without a caddie.  Aside from masterfully reading the greens, they'll often point to a place on or around the green complex to land your approach.  Most times I'd question the validity only to watch the ball hit and release toward the hole.  On most of those greens, you have roughly a 25% segment you must hit or it will result in a miss.  After finishing one hole, ours pointed to a collection area off of one green and said "That's where John Daly took a 12 because he tried putting it up the hill nine times without success (or whatever his score was)"  So of course my brother and I saunter over and proceed to fail miserably trying to best Daly from that position.  It gave us one heck of a laugh and a memory we won't forget. Just my two cents and personal experience.

#54 hangontight

hangontight

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 374

Posted 01 February 2019 - 03:36 PM

Played last week with caddies a new way (wasn’t Pinehurst).  caddie drives cart with bags, we walked ,,,but could hop in whenever we want.  Best of both worlds with Walking caddies and forecaddies. So take a forecadeie , then just walk.  Caddie will be there with yardage when you arrive to ball.  I promise the caddie won’t mind getting to drive the cart all day rather than sprint ahead every hole!

Edited by hangontight, 01 February 2019 - 03:37 PM.

#55 TheWalkingGolfer

TheWalkingGolfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 488628
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:34 AM

View Postbhop, on 01 February 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

Agree you're in the ballpark.  When I went years ago I asked the person behind the counter in the pro shop what was appropriate and they were very helpful.  I'd go that route if you're still unsure.  I wouldn't miss Tobacco Road on the way back to RDU, but that's just me.

We’re playing 2,4, cradle, Dormie, mid pines, pine needles, Tobacco Road, and tot hill farm in a 5 day trip.

#56 CDM

CDM

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46064
GolfWRX Likes : 480

Posted 03 February 2019 - 01:01 PM

I played No.2 last summer with a member. I did not take a caddie but of course I was playing with someone who has played it probably 100 times.   I would take one though first time if your playing solo.   Its an easy walk, very easy honestly.  Compared to Mid Pines / Pine Needles / Dormie Club, No.2 is pretty much a pancake =) Great course but I think the history makes a big part of it.

Edited by CDM, 03 February 2019 - 01:11 PM.

#57 JDFish

JDFish

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135069
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:23 PM

View Postdavep043, on 01 February 2019 - 01:07 PM, said:

View Posttiderider, on 01 February 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

The option on #2 is to take a buggy and stay on the path.  You may not NEED a caddie, but its a great course to walk.

By taking a cart, you won't see a large part of the golf course and the way it flows because you have to stay on the cart path.  Unless you have a medical condition, caddies are the only way to go IMO.

Edited by JDFish, 03 February 2019 - 10:24 PM.

Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
Callaway XR 5 wood
Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
Evnroll ER8 33"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors