Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Garmin S20 GPS Watch


606 replies to this topic

#601 10of14

10of14

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101496
  • Joined: 01/06/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:13 PM

Can I go a different direction here, albeit on task with the OP's original question?  I could care less about tracking my stats or distance; my eyes and game tell me actually what I am good at and what I suck at (the latter shows up a bit more).  How does the S20 perform as a GPS golf watch (ease of finding the course, distances, battery life, etc...).  It is the best looking golf watch out and the functions on paper (other than telling me how far I hit the ball) seem to be pretty solid.  The one complaint that I've seen a few times, is it's not user friendly since it is not a touch screen.  True?  Thank you in advance for your performance review.

Edited by 10of14, 07 February 2018 - 07:15 PM.

Driver: TBD (Ping G400; TM M3; Cobra F8+)
Fairway: Taylormade RBZ 15* Matrix Ozik X-Con 6 Shaft
Hybrids: Mizuno JPX 900 @ 19* & 22* Fujikura Pro HYB Shafts
Irons: TBD (Mizuno Hot Metal; Cobra King Forged Tec; Cleveland CBX)
Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54*SS & 58*EW
Putter: Odyssey O-Works EXO #7

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#602 robdalky

robdalky

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366981
  • Joined: 03/18/2015
  • Location:DFW
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

View Post10of14, on 07 February 2018 - 07:13 PM, said:

Can I go a different direction here, albeit on task with the OP's original question?  I could care less about tracking my stats or distance; my eyes and game tell me actually what I am good at and what I suck at (the latter shows up a bit more).  How does the S20 perform as a GPS golf watch (ease of finding the course, distances, battery life, etc...).  It is the best looking golf watch out and the functions on paper (other than telling me how far I hit the ball) seem to be pretty solid.  The one complaint that I've seen a few times, is it's not user friendly since it is not a touch screen.  True?  Thank you in advance for your performance review.

This is exactly how I've used the S20 for 2+ years now and it's great. The yardages are quite accurate. If I have a pin sheet I can typically get within 1-2 yards of a lasered distance. It is more convenient than a rangefinder to the point that my playing partners (who have lasers) will occasionally just ask what I've got on the watch.

I do not track distances or shots/stats, it seems to be fair at that but not necessary or desired personally. Battery life is two rounds plus some, but probably not quite 3.

I have zero issues with the buttons, second nature for me at this point.

I would highly recommend the S20. I also wear it every single day, golf or not. LOL.
Callaway EPIC 9.5 Aldila Rogue Max 75X
TM SLDR S 17* Fujikura F3 90
Callaway XR Hot Pro 20* Accra Dymatch MT-H 85
PING i25 4-PW KS Tour 120
Titlest SM6 50F-54S-58K, X100
Odyssey O-Works #7S
Titleist ProV1

2

#603 10of14

10of14

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101496
  • Joined: 01/06/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:01 PM

View Postrobdalky, on 07 February 2018 - 07:48 PM, said:

View Post10of14, on 07 February 2018 - 07:13 PM, said:

Can I go a different direction here, albeit on task with the OP's original question?  I could care less about tracking my stats or distance; my eyes and game tell me actually what I am good at and what I suck at (the latter shows up a bit more).  How does the S20 perform as a GPS golf watch (ease of finding the course, distances, battery life, etc...).  It is the best looking golf watch out and the functions on paper (other than telling me how far I hit the ball) seem to be pretty solid.  The one complaint that I've seen a few times, is it's not user friendly since it is not a touch screen.  True?  Thank you in advance for your performance review.

This is exactly how I've used the S20 for 2+ years now and it's great. The yardages are quite accurate. If I have a pin sheet I can typically get within 1-2 yards of a lasered distance. It is more convenient than a rangefinder to the point that my playing partners (who have lasers) will occasionally just ask what I've got on the watch.

I do not track distances or shots/stats, it seems to be fair at that but not necessary or desired personally. Battery life is two rounds plus some, but probably not quite 3.

I have zero issues with the buttons, second nature for me at this point.

I would highly recommend the S20. I also wear it every single day, golf or not. LOL.
Thanks!  I've been wearing a golf watch for about 3 years now and love it.  The S20 looks great and has wonderful features.  Most of my buddies all use lasers, but I'm not real good with those.  I play to a 9.6 index and only need to know "approximate" (within a few yards) distance to the pin, hazard or lay-up.  I will purchase the S20.
Driver: TBD (Ping G400; TM M3; Cobra F8+)
Fairway: Taylormade RBZ 15* Matrix Ozik X-Con 6 Shaft
Hybrids: Mizuno JPX 900 @ 19* & 22* Fujikura Pro HYB Shafts
Irons: TBD (Mizuno Hot Metal; Cobra King Forged Tec; Cleveland CBX)
Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54*SS & 58*EW
Putter: Odyssey O-Works EXO #7

3

#604 hennesy

hennesy

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28958
  • Joined: 05/15/2007
  • Ebay ID:3puttmd
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

Have you folks compared the S20 to a touchscreen S6 or S60? Price is great on the older s20 and s6 on the bay but I hear some people rave about ease of use with touch screen.

4

#605 Budda74

Budda74

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423816
  • Joined: 05/04/2016
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

View PostStuart G., on 05 February 2018 - 10:27 AM, said:

The shot tracking (if turned on) goes above and beyond that.  Automatically tracking every where on the course you make a (full) swing at the ball so you can go back and look at "all" your shots after the round.   And it doesn't show you the distances during the round, you have to wait until you sync with Garmin connect.

That last bit isn't quite true.  If you scroll down using the down button whilst in the Measure Shot screen you can go back to all you previous shots on all the previous holes which can be very handy if you're trying to work out how much the conditions have effected distances during a round.

As for the score tracking having to be on, it's really not a massive amount of effort to click the OK button at the end of each round in order to allow the watch to record all those shots automatically.  It means you measure a distance even if you only think about it 50 yards down the fairway.


5

#606 Budda74

Budda74

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423816
  • Joined: 05/04/2016
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:32 AM

View Postrobdalky, on 07 February 2018 - 07:48 PM, said:

View Post10of14, on 07 February 2018 - 07:13 PM, said:

Can I go a different direction here, albeit on task with the OP's original question?  I could care less about tracking my stats or distance; my eyes and game tell me actually what I am good at and what I suck at (the latter shows up a bit more).  How does the S20 perform as a GPS golf watch (ease of finding the course, distances, battery life, etc...).  It is the best looking golf watch out and the functions on paper (other than telling me how far I hit the ball) seem to be pretty solid.  The one complaint that I've seen a few times, is it's not user friendly since it is not a touch screen.  True?  Thank you in advance for your performance review.

This is exactly how I've used the S20 for 2+ years now and it's great. The yardages are quite accurate. If I have a pin sheet I can typically get within 1-2 yards of a lasered distance. It is more convenient than a rangefinder to the point that my playing partners (who have lasers) will occasionally just ask what I've got on the watch.

I do not track distances or shots/stats, it seems to be fair at that but not necessary or desired personally. Battery life is two rounds plus some, but probably not quite 3.

I have zero issues with the buttons, second nature for me at this point.

I would highly recommend the S20. I also wear it every single day, golf or not. LOL.

I'd agree with this and recommend the S20 highly.  

It always seems accurate to me (compared to other watches/GPS and lasers) and I've had very few problems with it on the course.  Only slight annoyance is that it might record a shot when I'm picking up or putting down my bag, but that's easily corrected after the round if you're using the tracking features and it bothers you.

6

#607 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,027 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 5280

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:22 AM

View PostBudda74, on 19 February 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

That last bit isn't quite true.  If you scroll down using the down button whilst in the Measure Shot screen you can go back to all you previous shots on all the previous holes which can be very handy if you're trying to work out how much the conditions have effected distances during a round.

Are you referring to the auto shot tracking distances - or manually triggered distance measurements?

7



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors