Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Garmin S20 GPS Watch

582 replies to this topic

#571 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,833 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Handicap:6.2

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:02 PM

Enjoyed the first round with it today. It is a little bit lighter than the S1 and I liked having the hazards available even though I only used them a couple times. Real good size too. I honestly dont see myself actually moving the pin at all but otherwise I'm really impressed.

Strange question but "Measure Shot" just does not show up for me. I'm following the directions, I know how its *supposed* to work since it was similar on the S1, but its simply not a menu option when I look for it. I emailed Garmin but has anyone ever seen this?

Epic SZ 10.5* - Rogue Silver 70x
M2 3W - Tour Blue 75s
Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
Cobra F7 Single Lengths 4-PW
TM MG wedge - 55*
Putter / TM TP5x

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#572 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71580
GolfWRX Likes : 1685

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:18 PM

View Postdcmidnight, on 06 August 2017 - 06:02 PM, said:

Enjoyed the first round with it today. It is a little bit lighter than the S1 and I liked having the hazards available even though I only used them a couple times. Real good size too. I honestly dont see myself actually moving the pin at all but otherwise I'm really impressed.

Strange question but "Measure Shot" just does not show up for me. I'm following the directions, I know how its *supposed* to work since it was similar on the S1, but its simply not a menu option when I look for it. I emailed Garmin but has anyone ever seen this?
If it's like the x40 and I think it is, you either need to manually enter measure shot mode, mark it and then go to the ball. To measure automatically, you need to enable automatic shot measuring.

#573 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,833 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:25 PM

My understanding from reading the instructions - which I am usually loathe to do lol - is that the manual measure mode worked just like the S1.

However, in the OK menu there simply was not a "Measure Shot" option.

The only thing I could think of was that automatic shot measuring had to be enabled for the manual option to show up? But that would make no sense as I dont want to automatically track every shot.
M2 3W - Tour Blue 75s
TM MG wedge - 55*
Putter / TM TP5x

#574 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:35 PM

View Postdcmidnight, on 06 August 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

My understanding from reading the instructions - which I am usually loathe to do lol - is that the manual measure mode worked just like the S1.

However, in the OK menu there simply was not a "Measure Shot" option.

The only thing I could think of was that automatic shot measuring had to be enabled for the manual option to show up? But that would make no sense as I dont want to automatically track every shot.
I'm anti documentation also LOL. Since I don't have the same Garmin I can't tell you the button sequence but I'm sure it's there you just need to find it. I definitely can measure shots manually on the x40, there is a tape measure icon in a menu I can access with 1 button push then select reset to zero it after making a shot and then it measures from that position. I'm certain yours has the same capability.

#575 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,833 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:46 PM

Yeah I mean the directions couldnt be any simpler - the option simply didnt show up lol. Oh well, I'll see what Garmin says.

Measuring a Shot

• While playing golf, select OK.
  • Select Measure Shot.
  • Walk to your ball.

M2 3W - Tour Blue 75s
TM MG wedge - 55*
Putter / TM TP5x

#576 BlackDiamondPar5

BlackDiamondPar5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:47 PM

View Postdcmidnight, on 06 August 2017 - 06:46 PM, said:

Yeah I mean the directions couldnt be any simpler - the option simply didnt show up lol. Oh well, I'll see what Garmin says.

Measuring a Shot

• While playing golf, select OK.
  • Select Measure Shot.
  • Walk to your ball.

Yeah that's pretty much it on mine also :)

#577 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,833 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:25 PM

Garmin said that you have to have the Scoring function enabled in order for Measure Shot to show up as an option. It seems...absurd to me to link scoring and the ability to measure a random shot. I never realized how much I used that during a round. But there is no way I'm keeping score on my watch just to enable that function. Will be returning it and looking elsewhere.

Thanks.
M2 3W - Tour Blue 75s
TM MG wedge - 55*
Putter / TM TP5x

#578 Lomo Saltado

Lomo Saltado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459444
  • Handicap:19.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:40 PM

View Postenigma2k, on 26 June 2017 - 02:59 PM, said:

My S20 is only 1 month old and at the beginning the Autoshot tracking worked almost perfect but now I had a round where it registered shots that I did not make. Autoshot really messed up this round. Has anybody else experienced this and know the cause for this?

I have had this happen to me a few times. It's really annoying. Happened to me yesterday after a drive I absolutely bombed so I was unable to use Measure Shot feature. Wish I knew what was causing it. I have latest firmware.

#579 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 965

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

View Postdcmidnight, on 09 August 2017 - 06:25 PM, said:

Garmin said that you have to have the Scoring function enabled in order for Measure Shot to show up as an option. It seems...absurd to me to link scoring and the ability to measure a random shot. I never realized how much I used that during a round. But there is no way I'm keeping score on my watch just to enable that function. Will be returning it and looking elsewhere.

Thanks.

I'm reading this a little bit late, but if you haven't returned the watch, I'd urge you to not stress over the scorekeeping thing.  All that happens is that when you get to the green on every hole, the screen shows par, and you use the "up" and "down" buttons to adjust to your score, OR just hit "OK" and it defaults to par.  Honestly, it's not intrusive at all; given that you MUST use it to use the shot measuring function.

And that is another story; I called Garmin and spent 30+ minutes on hold to ask why I couldn't find the shot measuring function when I was doing EXACTLY what the manual said.  The guy informed me that it only becomes available when you opt to keep score (which makes ZERO sense to me, btw); I asked him how I was supposed to know that, and he said that there wasn't any way to know it, and that he answers that question many, many times a day.  Weird...

All of that aside, the watch is pretty good IF it lasts.  I was VERY disappointed with the life span of the two Bushnell GPS watches I had; I'm hoping this one is better.

#580 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,730 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 662

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:58 PM

Is the S20 a huge upgrade from the S2? i love my S2 and will only upgrade if it is a huge change.

TM M1 430 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
TM PSi 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#581 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,833 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:03 AM

View Postbluedot, on 27 August 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

I'm reading this a little bit late, but if you haven't returned the watch, I'd urge you to not stress over the scorekeeping thing.  All that happens is that when you get to the green on every hole, the screen shows par, and you use the "up" and "down" buttons to adjust to your score, OR just hit "OK" and it defaults to par.  Honestly, it's not intrusive at all; given that you MUST use it to use the shot measuring function.

So I'd have to fiddle with scoring 18 times per round - just to enable shot measurement. No thanks, I found that idiotic. From a programming standpoint, no one at Garmin could tell me why scoring and shot measurement needed to be linked. I gave up asking.

I went with a used S6 off the BST. Very happy so far.
M2 3W - Tour Blue 75s
TM MG wedge - 55*
Putter / TM TP5x

#582 JMD

JMD

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82334
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

Have a Fenix 5 that has the golf app downloaded. Will be playing my first round of the season next weekend (embarrassing, I know) and can't wait to check it out.

A bit worried about the size of the Fenix so may just attach to my bag.

#583 Les Strokes

Les Strokes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 402242
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted Today, 04:37 PM

I got this as a present. Even though I manually turn it off and put it away,  when I check on it later it has turned itself on. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors