Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Most embarrassing shot you ever hit....

126 replies to this topic

#31 asalutz1

asalutz1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369833
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:48 PM

I took my girlfriends dad out to my family's country club because he had always wanted to play it. We played a little match as he and I are both golf freaks. I was one over through four holes with a two stroke lead. The par 3 fifth hole came up, a 205 yard shot from our tees so I pulled out my 5 iron like always. SHANK. Immediately he said "that's not typical coming from you". The next 5 holes I had the shanks, I had never been more embarrassed.

Good news is I still beat him by 3 strokes.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 fore_life

fore_life

Swung too hard, hit it too pure.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59484
  • Handicap:+0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1878

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:58 AM

So this a collective worst shot;

Playing at my fav local muni with 2 fellow Wrx guys and our buddy who was a teaching pro/our collective instructor at the time.

First hole is a par 4, staging area as well as a marshal/starter.

Groups behind us waiting in line as we are getting ready to tee off, group ahead in the fairway about 280 out. We are on the back tees, marshall tells us to go ahead. We kinda chuckle and say no we are good, we'll wait til they clear out as they were well within range for all of us.

Long story short(ish), all 4 of us cold top our tee shots and barely make the fairway haha!

Edited by fore_life, 02 March 2016 - 01:00 AM.

Cant figure out driver yet, testing....
      txxx burner 2.0 13.5 UST Attas 8x
      RSI TP 3-pw txxx x100's
      taylormade xft 51/55/60
      OdysseyTi Hot limited
                WITB Link

#33 alarson

alarson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369159
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:44 PM

I've topped many shots during scrambles or sliced them outta the course, but the most embarrassing was my first night playing league golf.  This was a small 9 hole course that for whatever reason didn't shotgun start, so everyone was crowded around the tee box.  I had just started golfing, so was pretty nervous already.  I tee it up and let loose.  Somehow I hit the very back of the heel and it shoots between my legs and flies into a full grown pine tree.  Of course crowd erupts.  Then I had to crawl into said tree and get my ball, take a drop and hit 3, in the rough next to the box.  To make matters worse, I put a big dent in my driver!

#34 ChipNPutt11

ChipNPutt11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382730
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:08 PM

Back in high school, I was playing in a tournament and was in the number 1 group.  There was a kid from another school that was a real good player so I knew I was going to have to play pretty mistake free to win.  I walked up on the first tee and decided to take a couple practice swings to calm my nerves.  Well...I apparently wasn't paying very close attention because I hit the ball on my practice swing and sent it sailing off straight right where it came to rest right next to the coaches.  Fortunately, it was still in play and was able to scramble around and salvage a bogey but I was mortified to say the least.

#35 Sixcat

Sixcat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
GolfWRX Likes : 715

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:20 PM

First time playing my home club.  While playing #10, I hit a perfectly struck 9 iron pin high, three feet right of the flag........................................on the 13th green!

#36 Chris Wedgie

Chris Wedgie

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335165
  • Handicap:NA
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:29 PM

Plaid the state finals last year and pull hooked my first drive out of bounds, did the same on 2nd attemp. Didn't finish well needless to say. Second day was better but the was not making up for the first tee. I am mentally weak :)

#37 Mongo_Smash

Mongo_Smash

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 411980
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:46 PM

I hit a bad shot off the tee marker in front of my box and it pegged my buddy in the junk. Luckily we are all hacks anyway so we got a good laugh about it. He still won't stand behind me to the right to this day.

#38 KYMAR

KYMAR

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 13111

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:01 PM

Playing on a Saturday early afternoon and there's a birthday party for a senior guy.  3 foursomes Right in front of us. We knew it would be slow. The 9tb hole is a short par 3 that has all kinds of trouble if you miss the green. It can sometimes Grind play to a halt. Such was the case this Day as we waited forever to play it. My 4some all managed to escape any real damage so we finished quickly and Make the drive to the 10th.  All day the threesome of 20 something's Would be arriving at the Tee as we were leaving. Some uncomfortable moments with the single guy. Like it was our fault These older guys were in front with nowhere to go. The other two were cool and talked a little if we were Waiting together  So we pull up to 10th Tee and there they are,  all 3 of the foursomes.  One on the green, one in the fairway and one on the tee. My Guys mill around, Get beverages from the clubhouse etc.  By This time the 3 some has caught up and Mr grumpy says something under his breath and walks into the Clubhouse.  So it's my honor (passive brag) and I'm taking some practice swings pointed down the Fairway. It's one of those times where you can't figure out what the guys are doing in front. HIT THE BALL! So I'm Standing there shoulders now Parallel to the Tee markers hand on hip pose, my driver over my right shoulder. It looked as though the guys were ready to clear the fairway. NOPE! The one cart drives maybe 30 feet Before the passenger Hops Out and Grabs a club. I wasn't angry or even frustrated Really just Sorry of deflated .  Even calling it a swing isn't right. My driver basically just Fell from My shoulder. Really no Speed to it at all.  Well I just clip the Grass with the leading edge.  And it Just peels this 3"X6" 1/4" thick divot right out of the ground.  It sounded like a flushed iron.  Anyway this freaking beaver Pelt of a Divot flies through the air,  Tumbling in the air end over end and it hits the edge of the roof of this guy's cart. On Impact it explodes. All over this guy's face just as he's lifting his Freshly purchased hot dog to his mouth. Mud and grass everywhere. On his face and hat,  all over the hot dog itself. I immediately go into "OMG I'm so sorry dude!" Mode but just as quickly,  his two friends are losing their minds laughing.  My Guys are laughing,  and I'm trying not to laugh as I walk over to him. Well he's just pissed. I mean pissed. He's walked back to his Bag,  furiously wiping his face with his towel like I sprayed him with anthrax or something.  I extend my Hand and he didn't Reciprocate. Goes into a rant about what an ahole I am etc. One of his buddies says "Dick" (let's call him Dick) I saw the whole thing, it was a total accident calm down you spaz!" or something.  So I just kept Apologizing between my buddies Hitting their drives. He calmed down But never really laughed it off.  So I pulled 10 bucks from my wallet and told him to get a new hot dog and a beverage. He took my money, but never my Apology.  I should have given him a 5.

Edited by KYMAR, 03 March 2016 - 04:27 PM.

Adams XTD 9* UST Attas Elements TourSPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Cleveland classic 18* hybrid                 
Maltby MMB-17 4-GW With Apollo CWS X   
Cleveland 588 forged 54* & 58*
Odyssey White hot #6 Long Neck. '

#39 benden

benden

Tour Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 344307
  • Handicap:Nose
GolfWRX Likes : 900

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:55 PM

View PostKYMAR, on 03 March 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

Playing on a Saturday early afternoon and there's a birthday party for a senior guy.  3 foursomes Right in front of us. We knew it would be slow. The 9tb hole is a short par 3 that has all kinds of trouble if you miss the green. It can sometimes Grind play to a halt. Such was the case this Day as we waited forever to play it. My 4some all managed to escape any real damage so we finished quickly and Make the drive to the 10th.  All day the threesome of 20 something's Would be arriving at the Tee as we were leaving. Some uncomfortable moments with the single guy. Like it was our fault These older guys were in front with nowhere to go. The other two were cool and talked a little if we were Waiting together  So we pull up to 10th Tee and there they are,  all 3 of the foursomes.  One on the green, one in the fairway and one on the tee. My Guys mill around, Get beverages from the clubhouse etc.  By This time the 3 some has caught up and Mr grumpy says something under his breath and walks into the Clubhouse.  So it's my honor (passive brag) and I'm taking some practice swings pointed down the Fairway. It's one of those times where you can't figure out what the guys are doing in front. HIT THE BALL! So I'm Standing there shoulders now Parallel to the Tee markers hand on hip pose, my driver over my right shoulder. It looked as though the guys were ready to clear the fairway. NOPE! The one cart drives maybe 30 feet Before the passenger Hops Out and Grabs a club. I wasn't angry or even frustrated Really just Sorry of deflated .  Even calling it a swing isn't right. My driver basically just Fell from My shoulder. Really no Speed to it at all.  Well I just clip the Grass with the leading edge.  And it Just peels this 3"X6" 1/4" thick divot right out of the ground.  It sounded like a flushed iron.  Anyway this freaking beaver Pelt of a Divot flies through the air,  Tumbling in the air end over end and it hits the edge of the roof of this guy's cart. On Impact it explodes. All over this guy's face just as he's lifting his Freshly purchased hot dog to his mouth. Mud and grass everywhere. On his face and hat,  all over the hot dog itself. I immediately go into "OMG I'm so sorry dude!" Mode but just as quickly,  his two friends are losing their minds laughing.  My Guys are laughing,  and I'm trying not to laugh as I walk over to him. Well he's just pissed. I mean pissed. He's walked back to his Bag,  furiously wiping his face with his towel like I sprayed him with anthrax or something.  I extend my Hand and he didn't Reciprocate. Goes into a rant about what an ahole I am etc. One of his buddies says "Dick" (let's call him Dick) I saw the whole thing, it was a total accident calm down you spaz!" or something.  So I just kept Apologizing between my buddies Hitting their drives. He calmed down But never really laughed it off.  So I pulled 10 bucks from my wallet and told him to get a new hot dog and a beverage. He took my money, but never my Apology.  I should have given him a 5.

LOL, Chopper...

10/10 for using an all time favourite word ----SPAZ!
Golf - Why's that?

#40 alfinsky

alfinsky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48464
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:14 PM

Many years ago when i was a golf beginner & a real left handed hacker, i was trying to hit a 3 wood from the fairway, aiming straight, but hit a wicked liner dead right going towards another hole to the right about 150 yards away where a foursome was putting on their green. One of them was waiting to putt while leaning on his putter when my ball hit the shaft of his putter & broke it in two. Embarrassingly, i had to walk up to him to apologize, as he very angrily told me i had to buy him a new putter. Luckily when we went to the proshop, the pro informed us that he could fix the shaft free of charge, as he was killing himself laughing. I took lessons the next week.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 Greg Lunday

Greg Lunday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183826
  • Handicap:0.9
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:25 PM

I was playing the Old Course at St Andrews.  I was in the 3rd group off in the morning at around 5:45AM.  I had slept in the car all night.  No warmup.  IT is about 35 degrees and I am all bundled up.   I step up to the tee with my trusty 4 wood Callaway Steelhead.  I promptly hit it so far off the toe I almost whiffed it.  It goes straight right and almost into the North Sea.  There were about 40-50 people standing around too.  I looked at the caddie with a "did it really go where I thought it did" look and he confirmed "damn near killed us."  I wanted to go crawl into a hole.

I was so pissed, I stripped off a layer and promptly piped the next one down the middle, stuffed a wedge and rolled in the putt for a 5.

The caddie looked at me and said "that may have been the best bogey I have ever seen".  I went on to fire a 77, so it wasn't all bad.

#42 DougNutter

DougNutter

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357035
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:39 PM

Mine was in PGA of Canada Atlantic's Assistants Championship. 18th hole in the first round. Missed a 6 inch double bogey putt for a 77 out of frustration. Just being dumb really. In front of my dad who was caddying, few spectators and some of my assistants buddies. Go out and fire a 70 the next day and missed a pay cheque by one shot. Embarrassing, but probably one of my most important lesson I learnt playing golf.

#43 markheardjr

markheardjr

Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,776 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141
  • Handicap:3.8
  • Ebay ID:tourguyd
GolfWRX Likes : 1428

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:22 PM

No the most embarrassing but this last weekend I proceeded to top my first tee shot and my second shot on hold #1 en route to a 72. The first hole is right next to the range and there was a loud clunk about 6 feet from me when I was teeing off because a guy hit a chair or a divider with his club. I stopped my swing half way and reset but couldn't shake it. Topped 3w 50y. Had 270 to the hole, dogleg left, wanted to hit a draw 4i out of thicker rough. Came over the top and skulled it maybe 60y. Now had 215y, cold day, smoothed the same 4i just off the green, chip, putt bogey. +1, finished even so made up for it but still.

Probably most embarrassing shot was in high school. A guy bet me I couldn't hit a 3W between the goal posts of the football practice field maybe 150y away. I took he bet. Necked the 3W low and left into the Janitors minivan window. Shattered it. Parents homeowners insurance covered the window...got away with a store that I was just practicing wedges and skulled one off the side walk. haha.
NIPPON SHAFT TRIALS!! Get in on a pay-it-forward type shaft testing!
http://www.golfwrx.c...yer-forwarding/

TaylorMade M1 9.5° w/ Tour Issue Aldila The Phene'd 70TX
TaylorMade M1 3W 15° w/ p9003TX
TaylorMade '08 Burner 17.5° & 19° w/ p9003TX
Srixon ZTX-II 4-PW w/ Modus Nippon Modus Tour125 X
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52° w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach

#44 Yanki01

Yanki01

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58157
  • Handicap:6.0
GolfWRX Likes : 1613

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:56 PM

i can only pick one? a couple of weeks ago, went out by myself hoping to get a quick round to work on my game. ended up getting paired with 3 others, 1 single and 2 guys who were about to tee off. they all bombed it in the middle of the fairway. i topped not one but two drives off the first tee. ended up with a triply bogey and went on to shoot a 95 (+23) that day. worse day and longest round of my life!!! nothing went well for me other than i was able to keep one ball in my bag at the end of the round (went in with 3 sleeves of Pro V1x's).

:russian_roulette:
915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 52.08F, 56.08M & 60.10S grind w/ DGx100 (8i shafts)
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 34/350G

WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec

#45 LeftDaddy

LeftDaddy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 373917
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:27 PM

I've been busting it at the range and have "fixed" this god awful problem I have hitting pitch shots (and I used to be so good at them). Anyway, I'm dying to take my "new and improved" stuff to the course but family and work commitments have kept me from it.

Today, though, after a pretty amazing range session I decided to go play 3 balls on the 10th hole because I just can't stand it anymore. I proceed to hit 3 balls right down the pipe off the tee, and I just can't wait to see how close I am going to stick my approaches.

Well, there's this homeowner standing at the edge of the creek left of the green.  I'm a lefty. I proceed to shank slice my 7 iron dead left to a tree over the creek but it bounces back into the fairway. My next shot I hit a little better but still shank slice it a bit into the creek literally 5 feet in front of this guy. I hit 3rd ball a little better but still lose it left (and mind you, my miss is always right and overdrawing).

So I move up to the first ball that hit the tree. I had 80 yards to the green. Perfect chance to practice / show off my "fixed" pitch shot. I grab my 54 deg, and proceed to shank it directly left into the creek. Grab another ball...exact same shot. Grab another...same result. I grabbed about 5 old balls from my bag and proceeded to hit every single one of them into this creek, all while this guy was watching.

So obviously my pitch shot isn't fixed, but what was "scarier" was the shanked 7 iron (3 times). Needless to say, I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.

Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
Bettinardi BB1

#46 djmohab2

djmohab2

oh no, it's the dj10 show

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94214
GolfWRX Likes : 400

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:25 AM

View PostChipNPutt11, on 02 March 2016 - 05:08 PM, said:

Back in high school, I was playing in a tournament and was in the number 1 group.  There was a kid from another school that was a real good player so I knew I was going to have to play pretty mistake free to win.  I walked up on the first tee and decided to take a couple practice swings to calm my nerves.  Well...I apparently wasn't paying very close attention because I hit the ball on my practice swing and sent it sailing off straight right where it came to rest right next to the coaches.  Fortunately, it was still in play and was able to scramble around and salvage a bogey but I was mortified to say the least.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you were entitled to re-tee with no penalty.
12.0 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
18.0 Titleist 915F | Diamana M+ 60
21.0 Titleist 915H | Diamana M+ 70
3-PW OG Titleist AP2 | Nippon 750GH
50.12, 54.10, 58.08 Titleist Vokey SM6 | Nippon 750GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Titleist Pro-V1

#47 sprcoop

sprcoop

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114540
  • Handicap:17.7
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:59 PM

Played last Sunday with good golfing buddy, his friend visiting from Chicago who I've played with probably 5 or 6 times and a really nice guy playing single.

First hole short PAR 5.  Decent drive leaving 230.  I manage to hit a weak 3W with a little fade that found it's way between the 2 front bunkers to 2 1/2 feet off the green.  40 feet to the ping.

My shot from there is a bump and run putt with a 7 iron.  I managed to bang it into the ground about 6 inches behind the ball and completely whiff it.  Second attempt ends up 2" from the hole.  Tap in PAR.

The embarrassing part was explaining to everyone why I scored a PAR and not a bird.  They were all looking for their balls scattered all around the green in the rough (we play ready golf) and did not witness my faux pas, only seeing the 2" finish putt assuming it was for bird.  Ouch!  Never whiffed that shot in my life.

#48 dklemp3

dklemp3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 392300
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:40 AM

One of my more memorable shots that caused a good bit of laughter... Par 3 ~150 yards that is completely water between tee and green. Playing from the mens tee I go to hit my shot and boom, complete shank hosel rocket. Ball goes screaming to the right about 3 inches off the ground.

The thing is, the course we are playing has those plastic globes that resemble golf balls to mark the tees. My ball completely obliterated one of the globes marking the ladies tees ahead of us and sent plastic shrapnel everywhere. My ball ricocheted up into the air and back towards me. Naturally i ducked for cover so that I didnt lose an eye, and my ball landed perfected back in my divot on the teebox.

Couldnt even attempt to play the hole we were laughing so hard. I picked up my ball, and the remaining half of the tee marker that made it out intact, and moved on to the next hole. That tee marker now sits on my desk... a perfect little bowl to hold stuff and a constant reminder of that beautiful shot.
Cobra King LTD
Cobra King f6 Baffler 4/5w
Ping i e1 4-U
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 54*

Callaway Mack Daddy PM 58*
Seemore FGP Mallet

#49 zmrobertson

zmrobertson

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 253292
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:04 PM

View PostSmoot, on 17 February 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

I whiffed one in a scramble on the 1st tee as an "A" player...

I hate seeing people whiff.  It's more embarrassing for me to see others do than if I were to actually do it myself for some reason.  Do I laugh, cry, give them advice, hold them?  It's a sh*tty situation all around.
Ping G25 9*
Ping G25 4w
TM R9 TP 3-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52*
Cleveland CG12 56*, 60*
SC GoLo 5

#50 nikegal

nikegal

Golf...A Club, A Ball, A Divot, Ball Flight & A Target.....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 414844
  • Handicap::-)
GolfWRX Likes : 2602

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

This is the first time that I've ever spoken of this and though it wasn't that funny at the time it was during a mixed Pro/Am BB tourney with Richard and I was waiting to hit my approach into the green after a nice drive. As there was a group finishing up on the green in front of us, I took a practice swing and for whatever reason as I have never done this in 41 years of playing but I was too close to the ball and I had my eyes closed as I vivisualize my upcoming swing and get the feel for it better like this and when I swung through I heard this "thud" and then "oh s***" and I opened my eyes almost instantaneously and my ball rocketed off the toe of my 6i and caught Richard in his left butt cheek as he had spun clockwise away from me, lolol. He went down like he was shot, haha. Needless to say we did not use my ball :) He was very kind and went on to put his 8i at about 6' and sank the putt so we were good, haha. That was very embarassing :) M

Edited by nikegal, 11 March 2016 - 02:24 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 cbrwn425

cbrwn425

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415218
  • Handicap:11.3
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:48 PM

While I was in college I was playing with a buddy and his dad. I'd been playing pretty bad most of the day, get to the 5th tee which has trees in front down both sides. I've played this course plenty of times in the past as it's cheap and close to campus and never had a problem hitting through these trees before so I'm feeling pretty good that I can turn the day around and play some decent golf. I take my tee shot directly into the tree on the left and it ends up about 15 yards behind me in the woods in the right. Felt super embarrassed.

Second most embarrassing I was playing with the father in law for the first time at their neighborhood course. There was a group of 5 in front of us on the green in a par 4 so we go ahead and tee off, I crush my drive and end up about 5 yards off the green. we finish up the hole and head to the next tee box where the group is waiting to let us play through. They start asking who hit the tee shot and and saying how good it was so I'm feeling pretty good as I get ready. I proceed to top the ball and dribble it about 50 yards down the fairway and into a creek. Felt completely deflated after that.

#52 jnak97

jnak97

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 243439
  • Handicap:2ish
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

On a short par 4 i hit a drive down to like 60-70 yards. Proceeded to shank it right of the green (short sided of course!) then shank the chip. Calmed down and knocked the next one to three feet. So i still saved a bogey but that was rough...

Edited by jnak97, 31 March 2016 - 12:19 PM.

SLDR 11* Fuji 6.2 TourSpec S
SLDR 15.5* Fuji 7.2 Tour Spec S
SLDR 20* Hybrid PX Blue 6.0
4-PW TMag TP MC '14 PXi 6.0
TMag TP 51*
Vokey SM5 54 and 60
Ping Karsten Anser 2

#53 finleysg

finleysg

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417906
  • Handicap:2.7
GolfWRX Likes : 442

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:08 PM

Not a shot, but a round.

Playing in last year's State Sr. Open, I birdied the first hole with two nice shots and a hard breaking putt. 7 holes later I'm 8 over par.

The embarrassing thing is that I quit. Not walk off quit, but stopped trying. Shot 87, 86 for the two days. I can live with the big numbers, but the bad attitude bugs me even now. I was terrible company for those two rounds, and I knew it at the time, but couldn't get past the disappointment.

Stupid.
D: Callaway XR Pro - Ozik Red Tie
3W: Exotics E8 Beta - Aldila Rogue 110
3H: Titleist 915Hd - Diamana 80g
Wrenches: Ping S55 - P thru 4 - Project X Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 - 50, 56 (F), 60 (M)
Putter: TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs

Brand Loyalty: None

#54 MadGolfer76

MadGolfer76

Admiration is the state furthest from understanding.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,831 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89700
GolfWRX Likes : 8786

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:40 PM

I was playing in a tournament a long time ago where I was teeing off and drunk-driven golf cart comes around a bend into my path, maybe twenty yards from the tee ground. I could kind of see them peripherally, but couldn't stop the swing so I just pulled up and ended up hitting a line drive off the heel into their metal hubcap. Ball came backwards at my group almost as fast as it took off and ended up about 75 yards in back of the tee box, having rolled into the doorway of the bag storage room behind our pro shop. I actually had a view back out the door, so after a (perhaps overly generous) ruling, I took my old Raylor off the carpet in the storage room, hit maybe three inches behind it causing a drop-kick into the side paneling, which popped it up into the overhead lights shattering glass down on the whole area. I just putted it out the door from there and made 9 on the hole. Had to pay for the light too.
Titleist 915D3 9.5/Diamana Whiteboard 63
Titleist 915F 16.5/Diamana Blueboard 73
Mizuno Mp-54 3-Pw/Dynamic Gold s300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58 (M)/Dynamic Gold s200
Bettinardi Studio Stock 6
Bridgestone B330 RXS

WITB

#55 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Why Me Lord?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 7033

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:20 AM

Moved to new town at 15. One of the first times I'm teeing off on first hole I send a low, screaming 3w shot curving hard right between the legs of the assistant pro who was on the putting green giving a lesson. Didn't bother me a bit that he moved not long after and I never had to hit a ball when he was anywhere near. He was a good sport about it, but real embarrassing.

Edited by Hawkeye77, 01 April 2016 - 12:21 AM.

#56 dadup

dadup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 322811
  • Ebay ID:dadup
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:12 PM

first scramble I ever played, we're on #9 right next to the clubhouse... my father in law has a friend standing on the other side of the green, starts to introduce me  but wants me to hit my putt first... I actually duffed a putt ( didn't know that was possible) the putter hit off the toe and the ball went almost directly sideways...
910 D2
910F
910H
AP1 712 4-GW
SM4 54
SM5 56
Cleveland Classic

#57 longshot300

longshot300

Another good golfer with Autism.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175044
  • Handicap:2.3
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:44 PM

Is this considered an embarrassing shot when when someone drives their golf cart right into your shot from around 270 out a few years back?

The guy didn't even look back at us. He just drove right through the fairway without knowing.

#58 quambyjake

quambyjake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 407554
  • Handicap:14.0
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 14 April 2016 - 03:46 AM

Some great stories here - definitely some chuckles going on!

I've had a couple over the past year :-) First one was at my old home club, playing the 7th hole which is a fairly short par 4 dogleg left, with a road down the left hand side. There's a metal sign post for the club, right on the bend of the road. I proceed to take driver to try and cut the corner, except I completely snap hook it low and dead into the center of the sign. There's a massive bang, a big golf ball dint in the middle of the sign and the ball ricochets right back at us. One of our group then says 'well that sign has never been in play before...'.

Latest one was where I was playing with a group of people at my new club - I didn't know any of them, and I was nervous. I was playing terribly - couldn't get a drive off the tee at all, or any shots really. I completely duffed one off the tee, and it comes to rest about 20 metres away on a bare patch of dirt. My playing partners had already gone ahead, leaving me to stew in my own incompetence. I then angrily take my 4 iron out, swing wildly at it and of course it comes off a low screamer slicing right at my playing partners ahead. I yell out, just in time for one of them to cop my ball a glancing blow across the throat - thank god it didn't hit him full on in the adams apple, or we would have been in major medical trouble. He's lying on the ground, clutching his throat and I race up there apologising profusely and checking that he's ok.

Needless to say, that was an awkward round of golf after that - they made sure to stay behind me on every shot...

#59 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 25,686 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 12283

Posted 14 April 2016 - 05:46 AM

I could name more than a few, but I have hit a few putts fat. "How do you do that?" I ask myself.
Callaway GBB Epic 11º / Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 40 R
Callaway GBB Epic 16º / 20º / 24º Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 50 S

Callaway Steelhead XR / 25º / Matrix Ozik Program F15 65 S
Callaway CF16 / 7--AW / UST Recoil ES 460 F4
Callaway 54/10 MD Forged / UST Recoil ES 460 F4
Callaway 58/10 MD PM / UST Recoil ES 460 F4

Callaway 62/12 MD PM / UST Recoil ES 460 F4
Callaway Odyssey Versa Tank 1W

#60 dhogan13

dhogan13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251506
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:41 AM

playing at my undergrad course a few years ago. Set up on the tee for a par 4 over water. The course marshall is tooling around and he pulls up by a tree about 15 feet in front of the box and to the left of me. He's waiting for me to hit, and of course I get nervous. I DRILL the tree he's right next to. Terrible shot, and thankfully he didn't freak out about it, he didn't even flinch. lol. Ball was easily within 5 feet of hitting him in the face. Was really scary for me, not to mention embarrassing

XHot 9.5*
X2Hot 3 wood
X ('06) 3 hybrid
X-22 irons 4-P
CG10 wedges 48/56*
PM Grind Mac Daddy 2 60*

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors