Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

White Hot vs White Steel

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JayManMtl

JayManMtl

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41613
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:20 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm far from being a pro and would like some info from the gurus here...

Quite simply - is White Hot worth 30$ more than White Steel?

I've been playing around at my local store for a while - different style of putters... and found out that the best feel, consistency, distance (for me) were with the 2Ball SRT... Now, every White Hot I see is 30$ more than the corresponding White Steel version....

The next step is obvisouly to search for the differences... and from Odyssey:

White Hot:
Inspired by high-performance, multi-layer golf ball technology, the   White Hot XG Face utilizes a multi-layer insert for phenomenal performance on   the green. It combines two materials with different properties to take the level   of feedback, feel and distance control to an all-new, extreme level.

White Steel:
White Steel Dual Insert Technology provides the precision and accuracy  of milled steel and the feel and distance control of urethane for  overwhelming forgiveness and softness.

Thoughts?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 tanj

tanj

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1397
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

Actually, I don't think that either insert is worth it. I reckon the 'original' White Hot was the best. (I say "original" because I think there were two models when they realized it was popular)

For your question though, I can't help because I'm too in love with my putter.

#3 MCCA

MCCA

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2694
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:06 PM

View PostJayManMtl, on Dec 10 2007, 10:20 AM, said:

White Hot:
Inspired by high-performance, multi-layer golf ball technology, the White Hot XG Face utilizes a multi-layer insert for phenomenal performance on the green. It combines two materials with different properties to take the level of feedback, feel and distance control to an all-new, extreme level.

White Steel:
White Steel Dual Insert Technology provides the precision and accuracy of milled steel and the feel and distance control of urethane for overwhelming forgiveness and softness.

Thoughts?

I've owned both, it really depends on if you like the click feel? because that's what your going to get with the WS, the WH face is a little softer than the WS only there's no click feel to it but its still pretty firm not like the older odyssey putters. I think if you did a poll on Odyssey users i think their may be more users of the WH vs. WS.

mcca

#4 JayManMtl

JayManMtl

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41613

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:06 PM

View PostMCCA, on Dec 10 2007, 05:06 PM, said:

View PostJayManMtl, on Dec 10 2007, 10:20 AM, said:

White Hot:
Inspired by high-performance, multi-layer golf ball technology, the White Hot XG Face utilizes a multi-layer insert for phenomenal performance on the green. It combines two materials with different properties to take the level of feedback, feel and distance control to an all-new, extreme level.

White Steel:
White Steel Dual Insert Technology provides the precision and accuracy of milled steel and the feel and distance control of urethane for overwhelming forgiveness and softness.

Thoughts?

I've owned both, it really depends on if you like the click feel? because that's what your going to get with the WS, the WH face is a little softer than the WS only there's no click feel to it but its still pretty firm not like the older odyssey putters. I think if you did a poll on Odyssey users i think their may be more users of the WH vs. WS.

mcca
Thanks mcca - exactly the type of info I was looking for... a confirmation that the difference is mainly 'feeling' related...

#5 gioGolf

gioGolf

Giogolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6531
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:30 AM

Can Confirm above post.  White Hot = Soft, White Steel  = more Click.  DFX = Cheap feeling Click. I own the 2 Ball Blade White Steel, it feels great.

#6 Whillock

Whillock

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41012

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:11 AM

I love odyessy's (I have 4 of them) but I just dont get the white steel. Sorry, but why have a steel face on an insert. I think this one is a gimmick.

Also at the club I play at, i know of 3 white steels where the metal has fallen out.

IMO, buy the WH. You wont be disappointed.

#7 BEND OF THE RIVER GC

BEND OF THE RIVER GC

Major Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,449 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2495
  • Ebay ID:jmcdyd
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:58 AM

If you ABSOLUTELY MUSt, get the white steel version. OR, better yet skip both and go for a custom C&L or Byron!

#8 Evil R1

Evil R1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4832
  • Ebay ID:rcg52973

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:32 AM

I have the 2 Ball SRT White Steel and the original 2-Ball White Hot and I play both depending on the greens.  It's all personal preference as a previous post indicated about the Clicky / no Clicky feel.  

One other thing to add, I find the White Steel to be very good for slower greens and the white hot to be better for faster greens.  The ball definitely comes off the face of the white steel a bit faster than the original white hot.  Basically, I end up using the SRT 99% of the time and the White Hot normally only comes out during late afternoon rounds in the middle of summer where the greens have been baked in the sun all day and you touch the ball and it rolls for 40' (OK, I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea)

#9 ShortSticks

ShortSticks

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 12 December 2007 - 10:26 AM

The SRT is an awesome putter no matter which insert you chose. I had problems with the White Steel insert as I could not hit the steel part consistently enough and would therefore struggle with distance control. If I did not hit the steel part just right it felt dead and would come up really short. With the White Hot XG I do not seem to have that problem and I love the soft feel.

#10 wundej

wundej

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34315
GolfWRX Likes : 99

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:19 PM

I have a #5 white steel and 2 ball white hot xg.  I know you are only looking at the white hot, but the xg is similar.

I personally like the white steel better.  It has a more 'positive' feel for me, I like the click and it just feels better to me.  

I would go to a shop and put with both for 10 minutes or so with each (back and forth).  You should go with the one that feels the best in your hands.  They feel totally different to me so I'd spend some time trying them both before buying.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 noputt

noputt

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21941

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:32 PM

I have the 2 ball in both flavors.  I like the white steel better - seems more consistant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors