Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 18 votes

Life of a Conditional Web.com Member

PGA Tour Mini Tour Web.com Tour PGA Canada Tour Golf Pro

1713 replies to this topic

#1621 agatha

agatha

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 308263
GolfWRX Likes : 1316

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

IMG_3207.JPG IMG_3203.JPG IMG_3205.JPG IMG_3208.JPG Well onto the weekend.. Yippee..   I didn't come this far to watch 2 rounds so I am happy.  We have a superstition - its lucky ice cream.  We did not have ice cream on Wednesday and he fought the course hitting only 10 greens to shoot even par.  So we had ice cream.  And it worked.  Today was a nice -3, I think he only hit 11 greens today but he putted excellent and chipping was super amazing both today and yesterday.  It's cold here.. as in I wish I didn't just pack shorts cold.  It is supposed to be hot and humid so this is odd.  Had some rain on Wed during the round on a few holes and today some wind but it died down for his last 6 or so holes.  We are staying in a basement apt thru air.bnb..  Its perfect and we have our own bedrooms, a kitchen and washer dryer and paying about half of what a hotel would cost.  Took a few pics on the practice round day..

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#1622 Chewey85

Chewey85

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481436
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:02 PM

Stumbled across this thread lurking around the forums last night. Read it from start to to finish. Sounds like an amazing journey so far. You are truly blessed to have the oppurtunity to chase your dream. And to have the support of a wonderful mother is even better!!! Ive always admired the perseverance and focus any type of pro athlete has in chasing greatness. It's also very obvious you have the mentality it takes to win big in the long run. Thank you for Sharing your journey with us, and also for giving me a reason to sign up here lol. Good luck tomorrow and hope you had some ice cream tonight!! If you're ever playing anywhere near Charlotte NC let me know. I'd be more then willing to help in any way I could, or at the very least come cheer you on!

#1623 GolfingBro

GolfingBro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 411842
GolfWRX Likes : 874

Posted 09 September 2017 - 08:01 PM

View PostChewey85, on 09 September 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

Stumbled across this thread lurking around the forums last night. Read it from start to to finish. Sounds like an amazing journey so far. You are truly blessed to have the oppurtunity to chase your dream. And to have the support of a wonderful mother is even better!!! Ive always admired the perseverance and focus any type of pro athlete has in chasing greatness. It's also very obvious you have the mentality it takes to win big in the long run. Thank you for Sharing your journey with us, and also for giving me a reason to sign up here lol. Good luck tomorrow and hope you had some ice cream tonight!! If you're ever playing anywhere near Charlotte NC let me know. I'd be more then willing to help in any way I could, or at the very least come cheer you on!

Thank you for the follow and the read.  I hope to continue to entertain.

View PostOutlier, on 05 September 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

View PostGolfingBro, on 03 September 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

View PostOrangeGravy, on 03 September 2017 - 12:25 AM, said:

How do you go about picking what shafts you play? Do you have to request shaft to try out from the company/company reps or do any of them send you stuff to try without prompting? If a manufacturer comes out with a new driver shaft for instance that sounds like it fits your profile do you test it out or are you the type of player that plays what he has until performance slips a bit?

Thanks for this wonderful thread by the way! I gotta give thanks to your mom for contributing also. She sounds like a great mom to have in your corner on this journey of yours.

So iron shafts and wood shafts I have pretty much found the winning combo.  Since I'm not really changing in strength and my swing doesnt change all that much I have played the same shafts the last 4 years.

If a new driver shaft comes out that is similar to my current one, I may request it.  Honestly I don't request much from companies because I usually stick with what I play.  I am the type of person who believes its the player hitting the shots and not the clubs.  I know my clubs fit me and if they aren't performing its usually because of me.   I did however put my Nike Flex driver in the bag over the weekend up here in Canada.  Thursday/Friday was with the Taylormade and I think the head has gone dead or something because my distance was lacking.  Switched to the Nike and  I was 10-20 yards longer.

So regarding equipment- do you have a stockpile of wedges?  I loved the Nike engages but wear out grooves in 4-6 months (and I am sure I play less than you :taunt: ) what you doing to keep sharp grooves in your wedges?

I do not have a stockpile unfortunately.  I order only when I need them.  I recently switched to Taylormade wedges now!

#1624 jdl

jdl

Masshole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 272218
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:58 PM

Nice playing Matt!

#1625 Chewey85

Chewey85

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481436
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:40 PM

Nice tournament!

#1626 GolfingBro

GolfingBro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:00 AM

Thanks everyone for following and the good wishes.  This was the last regular season event of the year and going in I knew I needed a T8th or solo 8th or better.  After a shaky balls striking first round but great short game I was at even par.  I knew I needed a 2 under or better just to make the cut to have a chance.  I was 11/11 up and downs from inside 40 yards.  I only had 1 bogey on the day and that was driving it into a hazard.  I shot a nice 69 and now needed a magical weekend.

After that round I made it a goal to shoot -10 on the weekend because I felt that would give me a chance.  Saturday rolls around and I start with a three putt par after hitting a 240 2i to 21 feet.  But then I proceeded to not miss a putt for the rest of the day.  I made an eagle on 9 after a 245 2i to 8 feet.  -5, halfway to my goal.  Sunday starts and again I hit the green on the par 5 first but this time 2 putt.  I then birdie the hardest hole 3 and then 5.  -3 thru 5 great start!  Then the putter got cold.  I hit some great putts for the next 11 holes and they just wouldn't go in.  I come to 17 needed 2 birdies.  I drain a 40 footer on 17!  I come to 18 and hit a 7iron from 170 that if it had landed 1 yard left it would've been 7 feet but it didn't and it trickled down a slope just right of the pin to 25 feet.  I gave it a great roll and it just missed.  -4 68 on Sunday.  -9 on the weekend.  I missed the tour championship by 1500 bucks.  If I had made that putt I still would've missed it by 300 bucks.  I can't hang my head because at least I gave myself a chance and competed hard.  It was much more fun competing and having a chance then just showing up and knowing I have no chance.  Onto the next one.

#1627 PureStrikes54

PureStrikes54

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404620
GolfWRX Likes : 376

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:04 PM

You doing 1st stage of Web Q-School this year Matt?

Edited by PureStrikes54, 11 September 2017 - 10:04 PM.

#1628 johnstone610

johnstone610

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66958
  • Handicap:5.5
  • Ebay ID:johnstone61066
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

What a thread!!!! I read from start to finish over the last 2 days.  Subscribed and excited to follow along.  If you are ever in the Chicago area and need a place to play or stay give me a shout.

Edited by johnstone610, 12 September 2017 - 10:37 AM.

#1629 GolfingBro

GolfingBro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:35 PM

View PostPureStrikes54, on 11 September 2017 - 10:04 PM, said:

Yes in Maricopa AZ at Southern Dunes

#1630 jaredt22

jaredt22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477344
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

I happened upon this thread a few days ago, and was just now able to complete the entire 55 pages. This is such an awesome thread, from the insight/updates/answers from Matt and his mom, to the feedback/support/questions from the rest of the forum members. I will be following this thread, from here on out, and am thankful to even be able to have the opportunity to read all of this information, coming from your perspective, Matt! I even followed you on Twitter, because of this thread. You have certainly gained another fan, and I wish you continued progress and success! Thanks, again!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#1631 Galiant50

Galiant50

Soon Scratch Golf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381002
  • Handicap:13
  • Ebay ID:Huntur
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:31 PM

Holy hell I just read all 55 pages... in 3 days... my head hurts, but that's an amazing read. At 23 years old, I made it a dream to play on the Hooters Tour or on a mini tour, but after reading this it is a little discouraging. Is there any hope for a late golf career?

#1632 mallrat

mallrat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122361
GolfWRX Likes : 1080

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:07 PM

So do you have full status on The Mackenzie Tour next year and Web depends on Q school?

#1633 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,726 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 5038

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:20 PM

View PostGaliant50, on 14 September 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

Holy hell I just read all 55 pages... in 3 days... my head hurts, but that's an amazing read. At 23 years old, I made it a dream to play on the Hooters Tour or on a mini tour, but after reading this it is a little discouraging. Is there any hope for a late golf career?

Mini tours aren't a career.  On the "Hooters" Tour unless you're top 5 on money list you're going to lose money.  On the Mackenzie Tour far more guys lose money than actually make a profit.

#1634 GolfingBro

GolfingBro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:18 PM

View Postjaredt22, on 14 September 2017 - 12:20 PM, said:

I happened upon this thread a few days ago, and was just now able to complete the entire 55 pages. This is such an awesome thread, from the insight/updates/answers from Matt and his mom, to the feedback/support/questions from the rest of the forum members. I will be following this thread, from here on out, and am thankful to even be able to have the opportunity to read all of this information, coming from your perspective, Matt! I even followed you on Twitter, because of this thread. You have certainly gained another fan, and I wish you continued progress and success! Thanks, again!

Thank you! And if you ever want to know anything about what I do, what I think or just any random golf question ask away!

Thank you for reading and following!  Ask away anything you want and I will answer the best to my abilities.  The PGA Tour should be the ultimate goal.  If you don't see yourself on that tour one day money will just be lost over the years.  Guys play mini tours but its hard to have a career or make a living on them unless you live out of a van or something.

View Postmallrat, on 14 September 2017 - 09:07 PM, said:

So do you have full status on The Mackenzie Tour next year and Web depends on Q school?

No status anywhere.  Finished 65th on order of merit.  Needed 60 or better to have Mackenzie Tour status.

Edited by GolfingBro, 14 September 2017 - 11:19 PM.

#1635 Jordan Speeth

Jordan Speeth

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 560 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401370
GolfWRX Likes : 461

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:45 PM

View PostShutSteepStuck, on 01 August 2017 - 09:15 PM, said:

Are you familiar with Scott Fawcett's DECADE Course Management Systemf? If so, what are your thoughts?

I walked a few holes with Scott at the Walker Cup and the guy is a genius.  He just barely needs his computer to figure out these lines and club choices.  It's in his head....the charts are for the rest of us.  The system is so clear to him that it's like child's play.  Decade will take strokes off of every game at every level but, especially for pros who know pretty much where the ball's going, it's invaluable.  When his students begin to dominate on Tour, he's going to be the most popular guy around too.  Couldn't happen to a better guy.

Taylormade M2 Driver 9.5*- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
Callaway XR Pro 16* 4 Metal- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
Ping G 22*-4 Hybrid- Altus S
Ping G 26*-5 Hybrid- Altus S
Bridgestone J15MB 5-PW Nippon Modus3 S +1"
Callaway MD-3 Black Milled Wedges-KBS Tour Custom S
52*S-Grind- 10* bounce
56*W-Grind-12*bounce
60* S-Grind-9*bounce
Odyssey Versa 7 Counterbalanced 38"- Odyssey SuperStroke CB Tank Grip
Golf Pride MCC +4 Grips (+3 wraps build up tape)
Snell MTB/ Bridgestone Tour B330
MG Elite Glove
Eliott Alistair Leather Bag

#1636 Galiant50

Galiant50

Soon Scratch Golf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381002
  • Handicap:13
  • Ebay ID:Huntur
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

I read somewhere about your workout routine and how you hired someone to manage and build a plan for you. Could you go into a little detail on the areas you focus on and maybe the main parts of your weekly routine?

#1637 GolfingBro

GolfingBro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

View PostGaliant50, on 15 September 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

I read somewhere about your workout routine and how you hired someone to manage and build a plan for you. Could you go into a little detail on the areas you focus on and maybe the main parts of your weekly routine?

When I'm on the road I focus big time on flexibility.  Strength wise there isn't much I do in lifting weights and such.  I save that for off weeks when there are no tournaments.  My lower body I have learned if not loose will pull on my lower back and cause pain.  My areas of focus are on my hamstrings, glutes, quads and calfs.  I make sure these areas are flexible and feeling good.  I also have a pre range session warmup that gets the muscles warmed and ready to start hitting balls.

#1638 PGAHopeful26

PGAHopeful26

Somewhere Between the Tee and Green

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45243
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:21 PM

As someone who recently got the chance to play with a few conditional folks (web.com and mackenzie) and hear their struggles... My hat seriously goes off to you for keeping the fire and dream alive. I'm trying to get through the original few pages in this thread, but these last couple updates have been awesome to read. Keep grinding, and of course... keep posting!
Taylormade M1 460 9.5* HZRDUS Black 65g 6.5
Taylormade M1 Fairway 15* Kuro Kage Silver TiNi X-Stiff
Taylormade M1 21* Kuro Kage Silver TiNi X-Stiff
Taylormade MB TP "Smoke" 3-PW Rifle Flighted 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 58* M-Grind
Taylormade Imola w/Tour SNSR

#1639 RorySpieth

RorySpieth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482154
  • Handicap:High
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

Shoutout to Matt!  I just turned on the TV during lunch to see what was on and on TSN, there was a show called "This is the PGA Tour Canada--Mackenzie Tour."  It was cool, it showed highlights of the top of the leaderboard for the tournament at National Pines but then, they had a segment with Matt, where he guided the viewers on how to putt from 15-30 feet! It was awesome.  Keep up the great work!

#1640 q-school

q-school

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17088
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

View PostRorySpieth, on 21 September 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

Shoutout to Matt!  I just turned on the TV during lunch to see what was on and on TSN, there was a show called "This is the PGA Tour Canada--Mackenzie Tour."  It was cool, it showed highlights of the top of the leaderboard for the tournament at National Pines but then, they had a segment with Matt, where he guided the viewers on how to putt from 15-30 feet! It was awesome.  Keep up the great work!
What did he say?  I need to puttfrom 15-30 feet

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#1641 agatha

agatha

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:18 PM

Shoot I have not had a chance to see it yet and its not on website yet either.  That was on the fly.. It was the tournament I was at and I was at the place we were staying and he went to course to practice.  The guy who does show just came up to him and asked him to do it impromptu..  Not a chance to prep at all..  How did he do??

#1642 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
GolfWRX Likes : 1594

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:14 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 14 September 2017 - 10:20 PM, said:

Mini tours aren't a career.  On the "Hooters" Tour unless you're top 5 on money list you're going to lose money.  On the Mackenzie Tour far more guys lose money than actually make a profit.

Amen! been there done that and still doing that... not easy. without side teaching and pro ams you can go broke many times over!

#1643 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:22 PM

Yes theres always hope if you're frugal and realistic. Be social with the guys travel together split costs where you can and never be too proud to talk to your local members courses top $ guys. organize tourneys, give lessons do anything it takes to cover your expenses and chart out your progress and schedule 3-4 months in advance. Budgeting is key. not everyone makes the upper tours on their first crack. Also, familiarize yourself with the courses youre going to play no matter what. Practice rounds should be where you grind the most. keep at it and best of luck!!

Edited by lowheel, 21 September 2017 - 09:22 PM.

#1644 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:23 PM

View PostGolfingBro, on 12 September 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

Good luck man!! make it happen

#1645 GolfingBro

GolfingBro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:30 PM

View PostPGAHopeful26, on 18 September 2017 - 11:21 PM, said:

As someone who recently got the chance to play with a few conditional folks (web.com and mackenzie) and hear their struggles... My hat seriously goes off to you for keeping the fire and dream alive. I'm trying to get through the original few pages in this thread, but these last couple updates have been awesome to read. Keep grinding, and of course... keep posting!

Thank you and I will continue to post and please ask anything you can think of or would want to know.

Good to hear I did an ok job!

View Postlowheel, on 21 September 2017 - 09:23 PM, said:

View PostGolfingBro, on 12 September 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

Good luck man!! make it happen

Thank you!

#1646 PumbaKP

PumbaKP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464912
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:49 PM

Do you know your tee times for stage 1? Does anyone walk with the groups at these event, Im thinking about driving down for one of the rounds.

#1647 agatha

agatha

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:49 PM

View PostPumbaKP, on 23 September 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

Do you know your tee times for stage 1? Does anyone walk with the groups at these event, Im thinking about driving down for one of the rounds.

Ill chime in here, people do watch q schools, it is free, there are not as many spectators in these earlier stages, the year he was at finals there was a ton.  Here is a link to his site and the field.  Tee times are not posted yet but I would think perhaps tomorrow late or maybe Monday early.  The last 2 rounds well be pending scoring.

https://pgatq.bluego...q1714/index.htm

#1648 GolfingBro

GolfingBro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:00 PM

Yesterday I drove down to Palm Springs to split up the drive to Arizona and get good practice in at a General Managers course.  This guy is nice enough to let me stay at his house and practice at his course.  Great course called Desert Horizons CC.  Yesterday I went straight to the course after being on the road for 5 and half hours.  I practiced for 2 and half hours and then went to the house to rest.  Today I had the course to myself.  It is still off season down here so non of the snow birds have returned for the winter yet.  I have some pictures of the course.  Spent the whole afternoon there.  Tomorrow morning I wake up and drive the rest of the 4 hours to Maricopa.  I will practice and play 9 holes and then play 18 Monday morning.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1269.JPG
  • IMG_6919.JPG

#1649 Forged4ever

Forged4ever

Putting is 98%+ Mental...Numbers & Mechanics? Yea Right€

• 13,654 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183106
GolfWRX Likes : 23107

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

The Very Best to You this week👊

Thoughts & Prayers

Fairways Greens Pins & Cups 4ever⛳️
RIchard

Edited by Forged4ever, 24 September 2017 - 01:03 PM.

I Love Her Not For The Way That She Dances With My Angels~

But For The Way That The Sound Of Her Voice Can Silence My Demons....

GHIN: Beefeater 24

#1650 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• 7,815 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 3844

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:44 PM

I can't remember for sure Matt, but you've played Southern Dunes in the past haven't you?

Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

HoffTTM

GolfWRX Sponsors