Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Fishing


294 replies to this topic

#271 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

    We are spirits in a material world

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Joined: 05/21/2013
  • Location:Jersey
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 13158

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:43 PM

View Postonetime19, on 10 November 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

One of my passions is Bass fishing, I fish tournaments often, we here in north Texas have some of the best big bass lakes around. We are truly spoiled around here!

You could probably use the bass I catch in S Jesrsey as bait for the bass you catch. The lakes here tend to be acidic and full of tannins and pretty nutrient poor. But we got plenty of iron deposits if you want to make cannon balls for a revolutionary war against England!

The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#272 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,059 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 17560

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:05 PM

View Postonetime19, on 10 November 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

One of my passions is Bass fishing, I fish tournaments often, we here in north Texas have some of the best big bass lakes around. We are truly spoiled around here!

Would love to see pics of gear and big bass you land.

We northeasterners can only fantasize about monster bass. 5 or 6 pounds is a "hog" here.

So...share the wealth ; )

From what I understand, the really big bass in Texas are caught in clear water. Is that right?



2

#273 Hit 'Em Straight

Hit 'Em Straight

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480284
  • Joined: 08/27/2017
  • Location:South Jersey (Philly Burbs)
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 959

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:45 AM

View Postthug the bunny, on 10 November 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

View Postonetime19, on 10 November 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

One of my passions is Bass fishing, I fish tournaments often, we here in north Texas have some of the best big bass lakes around. We are truly spoiled around here!

You could probably use the bass I catch in S Jesrsey as bait for the bass you catch. The lakes here tend to be acidic and full of tannins and pretty nutrient poor. But we got plenty of iron deposits if you want to make cannon balls for a revolutionary war against England!

Stop by Weymouth Forge / Furnace to to check out the aforementioned cannon ball making and then wave at Mike Trout's childhood house as you go catch some bass in Union Lake.  Nice little day.  

But yeah - I have never caught a bass of decent size anywhere in South Jersey.  And I'm sure even though Union Lake is the biggest body of freshwater in South Jersey, a Texas guy would not be impressed by the size.

We can find some nice sized catfish in surprising areas.  I pulled a monster out of Haddon Lake in Haddon Heights/Audubon/Mount Ephraim recently.

Seems easy to find some pickerel honey holes too.

My brother has had success pulling strippers from the Delaware River when they're running.

3

#274 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,059 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 17560

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:47 PM

View PostHit, on 24 December 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 10 November 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

View Postonetime19, on 10 November 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

One of my passions is Bass fishing, I fish tournaments often, we here in north Texas have some of the best big bass lakes around. We are truly spoiled around here!

You could probably use the bass I catch in S Jesrsey as bait for the bass you catch. The lakes here tend to be acidic and full of tannins and pretty nutrient poor. But we got plenty of iron deposits if you want to make cannon balls for a revolutionary war against England!

Stop by Weymouth Forge / Furnace to to check out the aforementioned cannon ball making and then wave at Mike Trout's childhood house as you go catch some bass in Union Lake.  Nice little day.  

But yeah - I have never caught a bass of decent size anywhere in South Jersey.  And I'm sure even though Union Lake is the biggest body of freshwater in South Jersey, a Texas guy would not be impressed by the size.

We can find some nice sized catfish in surprising areas.  I pulled a monster out of Haddon Lake in Haddon Heights/Audubon/Mount Ephraim recently.

Seems easy to find some pickerel honey holes too.

My brother has had success pulling strippers from the Delaware River when they're running.

Strippers?!

; )

Back in the day, we would catch some nice sized largemouths from some pretty small lakes in Westchester, NY. Nothing Texas sized but up to 23", say 6lbs. That was rare, nice bass was anything 14-16 inches. But, there was a small lake I caught the same 5-pounder in the same spot 3 years in a row. He just couldnt resist this sliver/motor oil slug-go lure. And this lake was small but pretty deep and clear. On 8lb test and light gear, it was like catching moby dick, lots of running the drag, jumps, man thats fun.

Edited by bscinstnct, 24 December 2017 - 12:52 PM.


4

#275 Hit 'Em Straight

Hit 'Em Straight

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480284
  • Joined: 08/27/2017
  • Location:South Jersey (Philly Burbs)
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 959

Posted 24 December 2017 - 09:11 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 24 December 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

View PostHit, on 24 December 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 10 November 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

View Postonetime19, on 10 November 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

One of my passions is Bass fishing, I fish tournaments often, we here in north Texas have some of the best big bass lakes around. We are truly spoiled around here!

You could probably use the bass I catch in S Jesrsey as bait for the bass you catch. The lakes here tend to be acidic and full of tannins and pretty nutrient poor. But we got plenty of iron deposits if you want to make cannon balls for a revolutionary war against England!

Stop by Weymouth Forge / Furnace to to check out the aforementioned cannon ball making and then wave at Mike Trout's childhood house as you go catch some bass in Union Lake.  Nice little day.  

But yeah - I have never caught a bass of decent size anywhere in South Jersey.  And I'm sure even though Union Lake is the biggest body of freshwater in South Jersey, a Texas guy would not be impressed by the size.

We can find some nice sized catfish in surprising areas.  I pulled a monster out of Haddon Lake in Haddon Heights/Audubon/Mount Ephraim recently.

Seems easy to find some pickerel honey holes too.

My brother has had success pulling strippers from the Delaware River when they're running.

Strippers?!

; )


Ha! Maybe I've totally misunderstood his stories all these years!  Now I'm not sure how to dress if I join him.


5

#276 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

    We are spirits in a material world

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Joined: 05/21/2013
  • Location:Jersey
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 13158

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:36 AM

View PostHit, on 24 December 2017 - 09:11 PM, said:

View Postbscinstnct, on 24 December 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

View PostHit, on 24 December 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 10 November 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

View Postonetime19, on 10 November 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

One of my passions is Bass fishing, I fish tournaments often, we here in north Texas have some of the best big bass lakes around. We are truly spoiled around here!

You could probably use the bass I catch in S Jesrsey as bait for the bass you catch. The lakes here tend to be acidic and full of tannins and pretty nutrient poor. But we got plenty of iron deposits if you want to make cannon balls for a revolutionary war against England!

Stop by Weymouth Forge / Furnace to to check out the aforementioned cannon ball making and then wave at Mike Trout's childhood house as you go catch some bass in Union Lake.  Nice little day.  

But yeah - I have never caught a bass of decent size anywhere in South Jersey.  And I'm sure even though Union Lake is the biggest body of freshwater in South Jersey, a Texas guy would not be impressed by the size.

We can find some nice sized catfish in surprising areas.  I pulled a monster out of Haddon Lake in Haddon Heights/Audubon/Mount Ephraim recently.

Seems easy to find some pickerel honey holes too.

My brother has had success pulling strippers from the Delaware River when they're running.

Strippers?!

; )


Ha! Maybe I've totally misunderstood his stories all these years!  Now I'm not sure how to dress if I join him.

Don't matter how you dress, just bring a wad of singles...
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

6

#277 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

    We are spirits in a material world

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Joined: 05/21/2013
  • Location:Jersey
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 13158

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:48 AM

View PostHit, on 24 December 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 10 November 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

View Postonetime19, on 10 November 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

One of my passions is Bass fishing, I fish tournaments often, we here in north Texas have some of the best big bass lakes around. We are truly spoiled around here!

You could probably use the bass I catch in S Jesrsey as bait for the bass you catch. The lakes here tend to be acidic and full of tannins and pretty nutrient poor. But we got plenty of iron deposits if you want to make cannon balls for a revolutionary war against England!

Stop by Weymouth Forge / Furnace to to check out the aforementioned cannon ball making and then wave at Mike Trout's childhood house as you go catch some bass in Union Lake.  Nice little day.  

But yeah - I have never caught a bass of decent size anywhere in South Jersey.  And I'm sure even though Union Lake is the biggest body of freshwater in South Jersey, a Texas guy would not be impressed by the size.

We can find some nice sized catfish in surprising areas.  I pulled a monster out of Haddon Lake in Haddon Heights/Audubon/Mount Ephraim recently.

Seems easy to find some pickerel honey holes too.

My brother has had success pulling strippers from the Delaware River when they're running.

I live about 5 mi from weymouth furnace. Makepiece lake looks like pickerel central, but always wanted to put my kayak in there. There has to be some bass in there (tired of S Jersey pickerel). Caught a few nice largemouth in Union lake, one monster who broke off in the pads, but mostly do either N Jersey trout or S Jersey striper/flounder/blues, so I don't give that much attention to SJ fresh water....
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

7

#278 Hit 'Em Straight

Hit 'Em Straight

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480284
  • Joined: 08/27/2017
  • Location:South Jersey (Philly Burbs)
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 959

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:11 AM

View Postthug the bunny, on 25 December 2017 - 12:48 AM, said:

View PostHit, on 24 December 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 10 November 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

View Postonetime19, on 10 November 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

One of my passions is Bass fishing, I fish tournaments often, we here in north Texas have some of the best big bass lakes around. We are truly spoiled around here!

You could probably use the bass I catch in S Jesrsey as bait for the bass you catch. The lakes here tend to be acidic and full of tannins and pretty nutrient poor. But we got plenty of iron deposits if you want to make cannon balls for a revolutionary war against England!

Stop by Weymouth Forge / Furnace to to check out the aforementioned cannon ball making and then wave at Mike Trout's childhood house as you go catch some bass in Union Lake.  Nice little day.  

But yeah - I have never caught a bass of decent size anywhere in South Jersey.  And I'm sure even though Union Lake is the biggest body of freshwater in South Jersey, a Texas guy would not be impressed by the size.

We can find some nice sized catfish in surprising areas.  I pulled a monster out of Haddon Lake in Haddon Heights/Audubon/Mount Ephraim recently.

Seems easy to find some pickerel honey holes too.

My brother has had success pulling strippers from the Delaware River when they're running.

I live about 5 mi from weymouth furnace. Makepiece lake looks like pickerel central, but always wanted to put my kayak in there. There has to be some bass in there (tired of S Jersey pickerel). Caught a few nice largemouth in Union lake, one monster who broke off in the pads, but mostly do either N Jersey trout or S Jersey striper/flounder/blues, so I don't give that much attention to SJ fresh water....

I haven't been in a few years, but yeah Makepeace Lake was good for a bunch of small pickerel and presumably still is.  It's really shallow throughout the lake.  Obviously no issue with a kayak or canoe.  There may be bass, but I always take the easy way out when fishing and catch whatever is plentiful and biting.

If you're into it, the shooting range at the Makepeace Lake WMA is a good setup.  Bring a shotgun and hand toss some clays and then do some plinking with a .22 rifle.

8

#279 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

    We are spirits in a material world

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Joined: 05/21/2013
  • Location:Jersey
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 13158

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:44 PM

View PostHit, on 25 December 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 25 December 2017 - 12:48 AM, said:

View PostHit, on 24 December 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 10 November 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

View Postonetime19, on 10 November 2017 - 10:57 AM, said:

One of my passions is Bass fishing, I fish tournaments often, we here in north Texas have some of the best big bass lakes around. We are truly spoiled around here!

You could probably use the bass I catch in S Jesrsey as bait for the bass you catch. The lakes here tend to be acidic and full of tannins and pretty nutrient poor. But we got plenty of iron deposits if you want to make cannon balls for a revolutionary war against England!

Stop by Weymouth Forge / Furnace to to check out the aforementioned cannon ball making and then wave at Mike Trout's childhood house as you go catch some bass in Union Lake.  Nice little day.  

But yeah - I have never caught a bass of decent size anywhere in South Jersey.  And I'm sure even though Union Lake is the biggest body of freshwater in South Jersey, a Texas guy would not be impressed by the size.

We can find some nice sized catfish in surprising areas.  I pulled a monster out of Haddon Lake in Haddon Heights/Audubon/Mount Ephraim recently.

Seems easy to find some pickerel honey holes too.

My brother has had success pulling strippers from the Delaware River when they're running.

I live about 5 mi from weymouth furnace. Makepiece lake looks like pickerel central, but always wanted to put my kayak in there. There has to be some bass in there (tired of S Jersey pickerel). Caught a few nice largemouth in Union lake, one monster who broke off in the pads, but mostly do either N Jersey trout or S Jersey striper/flounder/blues, so I don't give that much attention to SJ fresh water....

I haven't been in a few years, but yeah Makepeace Lake was good for a bunch of small pickerel and presumably still is.  It's really shallow throughout the lake.  Obviously no issue with a kayak or canoe.  There may be bass, but I always take the easy way out when fishing and catch whatever is plentiful and biting.

If you're into it, the shooting range at the Makepeace Lake WMA is a good setup.  Bring a shotgun and hand toss some clays and then do some plinking with a .22 rifle.

Yep I'm into it. Go shooting at the range often. Got 2 Ruger 10/22s. They built a nice little range there, one of the very few examples of my tax dollars actually producing something besides fatter wallets for local politicians.
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

9

#280 Hit 'Em Straight

Hit 'Em Straight

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480284
  • Joined: 08/27/2017
  • Location:South Jersey (Philly Burbs)
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 959

Posted 26 December 2017 - 09:20 PM

View Postthug the bunny, on 25 December 2017 - 04:44 PM, said:


Yep I'm into it. Go shooting at the range often. Got 2 Ruger 10/22s. They built a nice little range there, one of the very few examples of my tax dollars actually producing something besides fatter wallets for local politicians.

The 10/22 is certainly the king of .22s.  I have one myself.  But if you've ever fancied a .22 in lever action and have not had the chance, I recommend it highly.

I have a Henry rifle in .22 that is non-stop smiles.  There's something about a lever action.  Little slice of Americana.

Guess it's a diversion within a diversion to talk about firearms in a fishing thread in a golf forum.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#281 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

    We are spirits in a material world

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Joined: 05/21/2013
  • Location:Jersey
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 13158

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

View PostHit, on 26 December 2017 - 09:20 PM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 25 December 2017 - 04:44 PM, said:

Yep I'm into it. Go shooting at the range often. Got 2 Ruger 10/22s. They built a nice little range there, one of the very few examples of my tax dollars actually producing something besides fatter wallets for local politicians.

The 10/22 is certainly the king of .22s.  I have one myself.  But if you've ever fancied a .22 in lever action and have not had the chance, I recommend it highly.

I have a Henry rifle in .22 that is non-stop smiles.  There's something about a lever action.  Little slice of Americana.

Guess it's a diversion within a diversion to talk about firearms in a fishing thread in a golf forum.

Ha, yes we kind of hijacked this thread for a bit, but there wasn't much happening here lately and guess what, it's my thread, so I give full approval to us and anyone else who wants to get sidetracked!

Funny you raised the subject, because I love lever actions. There is something about them that is just so cool. I have a Remlin 30-30 which I plan to use someday to bag my first deer or maybe wild pig somewhere down south. But my funnest firearm is my .44 mag lever carbine. 16" barrel, so it is really light and mobile, but that thing is a mini howitzer. It is always the crowd favorite when I bring it to a range.
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

11

#282 Nomad Golfer

Nomad Golfer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366769
  • Joined: 03/17/2015
  • Location:Australia is an island off the west coast of Bribie where golf is all year round
  • Handicap:yes
GolfWRX Likes : 663

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:29 AM

Although I've been lucky enough to fish the finest waters in Australia and New Zealand for trout and Chinook (Quinnat) salmon, I will probably never get to fish any of the lakes of America. However I was in a GameTraders store early this week looking at games for my ancient PS2 console and came across a Rapala Pro-fishing game with Bass, Muskies, Salmon and other lake species from Alaska to Minnesota. My best Muskie sofar is 34lbs but my grandson lost a much larger fish, he thinks it was at least 50lbs as the guide said it was the catch of a lifetime. The game's graphics are primitive compared to today but the gameplay is still excellent. I've never had any luck with Rapala lures in real fishing and don't use them. For all those Muskie fisherman on GolfWRX, all I can say is "lucky you!" and I will keep looking for that big one on the PS2

Edited by Nomad Golfer, 10 January 2018 - 03:30 AM.

Avatar:  Mac Tourney Staff Bag same as mine
Clubs are a mix of old and older.

Irregular bag:
Driver:(1): W/S Td5 Ti 9*
Driver (2): TaylorMade r7 425 11.5*
Fairway: Cleveland Launcher 17*
Hybrid: AdamsGolf Idea a12OS 22*
Irons: W/S Ci7 5-SW Dunlop 60*
Putter: Wilson Harmonized 744
Balls: Pinnacle Gold W/S Duo
Bag: AdamsGolf

Classic clubs:
Honma Persimmon woods 1 2 3 4 5 7

Honma LB-708 forged CB irons 3-9 10 11 & SW
PGF Chesterfield Persimmon #1
Slazenger Gary Player #2.
MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Classic irons 3-PW
Hogan Apex Plus E 46*
Lovett chipper 59*
PING PAL2. Knox Bullseye
W/S Duo balls. MacGregor Tourney bag

12

#283 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

    We are spirits in a material world

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Joined: 05/21/2013
  • Location:Jersey
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 13158

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:39 AM

View PostNomad Golfer, on 10 January 2018 - 03:29 AM, said:

Although I've been lucky enough to fish the finest waters in Australia and New Zealand for trout and Chinook (Quinnat) salmon, I will probably never get to fish any of the lakes of America. However I was in a GameTraders store early this week looking at games for my ancient PS2 console and came across a Rapala Pro-fishing game with Bass, Muskies, Salmon and other lake species from Alaska to Minnesota. My best Muskie sofar is 34lbs but my grandson lost a much larger fish, he thinks it was at least 50lbs as the guide said it was the catch of a lifetime. The game's graphics are primitive compared to today but the gameplay is still excellent. I've never had any luck with Rapala lures in real fishing and don't use them. For all those Muskie fisherman on GolfWRX, all I can say is "lucky you!" and I will keep looking for that big one on the PS2

Historically, I also have never had great success with Rapalas, or plugs in general. For one thing, those treble hooks snag everything in sight and I spend half my fishing time wasted retrieving in weeds and dead cats and who knows what. I much prefer plastics. Plastic baits have developed incredibly - all different shapes, tiny to large, weighted or unweighted, scented, etc.
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

13

#284 Fellaheen51

Fellaheen51

    Go Green

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284154
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 14213

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:49 AM

Obviously, all depends what you're fishing for and where.  In weedy waters, going 'weedless' is typically the only realistic solution.  About the only time I've used plastic is a grub tail on a weighted jig for walleye.  Never to successfully I might add, dubious technique.  Rapalas and Bombers are a preferred lure fishing for spring and fall GL trout.  The deep diving ones are excellent as well when trolling for suspended walleyes (down to appx. 12').  

Like trolling a lot.  (No Pun.)  Get a lure out there, kick back, have a beverage, and wait for something to happen.  Don't even have to hang on to the rod, that's what holders are for.  Whole lot less work than continuously casting.
Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

14

#285 Nomad Golfer

Nomad Golfer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366769
  • Joined: 03/17/2015
  • Location:Australia is an island off the west coast of Bribie where golf is all year round
  • Handicap:yes
GolfWRX Likes : 663

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

As far as weedless lures go, I was thinking about the Clouser lure which streams upside down. I've used this lure in areas where there is a lot of weed (and fish) and wonder how they would go in the US lakes.

Attached Thumbnails

  • clouser.jpg

Edited by Nomad Golfer, 11 January 2018 - 04:23 PM.

Avatar:  Mac Tourney Staff Bag same as mine
Clubs are a mix of old and older.

Irregular bag:
Driver:(1): W/S Td5 Ti 9*
Driver (2): TaylorMade r7 425 11.5*
Fairway: Cleveland Launcher 17*
Hybrid: AdamsGolf Idea a12OS 22*
Irons: W/S Ci7 5-SW Dunlop 60*
Putter: Wilson Harmonized 744
Balls: Pinnacle Gold W/S Duo
Bag: AdamsGolf

Classic clubs:
Honma Persimmon woods 1 2 3 4 5 7

Honma LB-708 forged CB irons 3-9 10 11 & SW
PGF Chesterfield Persimmon #1
Slazenger Gary Player #2.
MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Classic irons 3-PW
Hogan Apex Plus E 46*
Lovett chipper 59*
PING PAL2. Knox Bullseye
W/S Duo balls. MacGregor Tourney bag

15

#286 Nomad Golfer

Nomad Golfer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366769
  • Joined: 03/17/2015
  • Location:Australia is an island off the west coast of Bribie where golf is all year round
  • Handicap:yes
GolfWRX Likes : 663

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:26 PM

View PostFellaheen51, on 11 January 2018 - 10:49 AM, said:

Obviously, all depends what you're fishing for and where.  In weedy waters, going 'weedless' is typically the only realistic solution.  About the only time I've used plastic is a grub tail on a weighted jig for walleye.  Never to successfully I might add, dubious technique.  Rapalas and Bombers are a preferred lure fishing for spring and fall GL trout.  The deep diving ones are excellent as well when trolling for suspended walleyes (down to appx. 12').  

Like trolling a lot.  (No Pun.)  Get a lure out there, kick back, have a beverage, and wait for something to happen.  Don't even have to hang on to the rod, that's what holders are for.  Whole lot less work than continuously casting.
I've hooked more fish in the game by casting out and not retrieving. Only problem encountered is having slack in the line which can result in a lost fish. Sofar about 50/50 success
Avatar:  Mac Tourney Staff Bag same as mine
Clubs are a mix of old and older.

Irregular bag:
Driver:(1): W/S Td5 Ti 9*
Driver (2): TaylorMade r7 425 11.5*
Fairway: Cleveland Launcher 17*
Hybrid: AdamsGolf Idea a12OS 22*
Irons: W/S Ci7 5-SW Dunlop 60*
Putter: Wilson Harmonized 744
Balls: Pinnacle Gold W/S Duo
Bag: AdamsGolf

Classic clubs:
Honma Persimmon woods 1 2 3 4 5 7

Honma LB-708 forged CB irons 3-9 10 11 & SW
PGF Chesterfield Persimmon #1
Slazenger Gary Player #2.
MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Classic irons 3-PW
Hogan Apex Plus E 46*
Lovett chipper 59*
PING PAL2. Knox Bullseye
W/S Duo balls. MacGregor Tourney bag

16

#287 Hit 'Em Straight

Hit 'Em Straight

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480284
  • Joined: 08/27/2017
  • Location:South Jersey (Philly Burbs)
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 959

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:34 PM

View PostFellaheen51, on 11 January 2018 - 10:49 AM, said:

Like trolling a lot.  (No Pun.)  Get a lure out there, kick back, have a beverage, and wait for something to happen.  Don't even have to hang on to the rod, that's what holders are for.  Whole lot less work than continuously casting.

I dig your style.  Trolling doesn't work on the little bodies of water around me, but I'm a huge fan of throwing a shiner under a bobber and just kicking back to see what happens.

I've trolled for northern pike up in Maine and really enjoyed it.

17

#288 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

    We are spirits in a material world

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Joined: 05/21/2013
  • Location:Jersey
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 13158

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

View PostFellaheen51, on 11 January 2018 - 10:49 AM, said:

Obviously, all depends what you're fishing for and where.  In weedy waters, going 'weedless' is typically the only realistic solution.  About the only time I've used plastic is a grub tail on a weighted jig for walleye.  Never to successfully I might add, dubious technique.  Rapalas and Bombers are a preferred lure fishing for spring and fall GL trout.  The deep diving ones are excellent as well when trolling for suspended walleyes (down to appx. 12').  

Like trolling a lot.  (No Pun.)  Get a lure out there, kick back, have a beverage, and wait for something to happen.  Don't even have to hang on to the rod, that's what holders are for.  Whole lot less work than continuously casting.

I'm not talking fishing in weeds, it just seems that plugs grab whatever is floating around. What's a GL trout Fella? I honestly don't think I have ever caught a trout on a plug, but then I only fish from kayak, lakeshore, or stream, using live or plastics. Here in Jersey, you can't walk across the top of the water on the backs of all the fish like you do up there in Michigan. Our waters tend to be pretty skinny on big fish, and you have to put in a lot of time to get one, and I only get to fish freshwater a few times per year. If I want to feel a big fish pulling I head out to the saltwater in my backyard.
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

18

#289 Fellaheen51

Fellaheen51

    Go Green

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284154
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 14213

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:44 PM

Sorry about the abbreviation.  Great Lakes trout.  Browns in the spring, when they're in close to shore.  Steelhead in the fall, when they start schooling at river mouths.  Lake trout mixed in at any time.  In the warmer weather months, its big boat trolling with down riggers, etc. several miles out.  There's salmon as well, but that fishery has declined the last few years from what it once was.  

Bigger inland lakes by and large here.  Many, particularly north, are very big.  Trolling is an effective way to cover a lot of water.  Armed with a hydrographic map and a fish finder (aka sonar these days) can work structure, run a drop-off.  Never fished lakes often enough to the point of knowing all the "honey holes".  Seemingly always had to work the water to find out where the fish were at.  As well as paying attention to where the locals are fishing.

Ha!  No walking on the backs of fish anywhere that I'm aware of.  Plenty of days spent getting skunked.  Such is the nature of things.  Got to put in your time, see what happens.  Saw your stripper pics earlier ITT.  Quality fish.  Nice fishery, if that's in your backyard.

P.S.  Stopped by the local Bass Pro Shop the other day.  Have look around, kick the gear tires some.  Been awhile since I stopped to look solely at fishing equipment.  Oh my.  Think I need a new tackle box, the reels they have now are pretty nice (when did they become so expensive?), got confused examining the lines section.  Always have told myself it was either golf or fishing.  Not both.  Don't know if the wallet can handled be a slave to two recreational mistresses.

Edited by Fellaheen51, 11 January 2018 - 08:03 PM.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

19

#290 Nomad Golfer

Nomad Golfer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366769
  • Joined: 03/17/2015
  • Location:Australia is an island off the west coast of Bribie where golf is all year round
  • Handicap:yes
GolfWRX Likes : 663

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:09 PM

For nymphing fly fishermen, those who roll their own.
We know that catgut makes a great live-looking body wrap for nymphs like the caddis ones that I tie and use, but getting it is not that straightforward. I'm currently sussing out places like pharmacies for suture material (got a visit to a vet coming up) tennis racket strings and bow strings. If anyone knows of other likely sources, please let me know. What I've done in the meantime is strip the fur and top layer from a hare's mask by soaking it in warm water until soft. Once this is done I dry the skin and cut it into thin strips with a box knife. The result is a dirty-white or semi translucent piece of material which I can then wrap around over a colored (green or white) thread body after softening in warm water. There is a catgut online supplier in Romania I believe but I haven't gone into that yet. Are there any shops with this stuff in the USA or Canada that I can look at online?. Currently tying up weighted caddis patterns on the off-chance of getting over to the Tongariro NZ spring run. For the rivers and streams that I fish, If I only had two flies, they would be a caddis nymph and a hares ear spider caddis emerger. From previous experience the Taupo steelhead-type rainbows there will take bright pink and fluoro yellow as well as natural nymphs. Tungsten beadheads seem to be the go now. Cheers and tight lines

Attached Thumbnails

  • catgut.JPG

Edited by Nomad Golfer, 29 June 2018 - 09:17 PM.

Avatar:  Mac Tourney Staff Bag same as mine
Clubs are a mix of old and older.

Irregular bag:
Driver:(1): W/S Td5 Ti 9*
Driver (2): TaylorMade r7 425 11.5*
Fairway: Cleveland Launcher 17*
Hybrid: AdamsGolf Idea a12OS 22*
Irons: W/S Ci7 5-SW Dunlop 60*
Putter: Wilson Harmonized 744
Balls: Pinnacle Gold W/S Duo
Bag: AdamsGolf

Classic clubs:
Honma Persimmon woods 1 2 3 4 5 7

Honma LB-708 forged CB irons 3-9 10 11 & SW
PGF Chesterfield Persimmon #1
Slazenger Gary Player #2.
MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Classic irons 3-PW
Hogan Apex Plus E 46*
Lovett chipper 59*
PING PAL2. Knox Bullseye
W/S Duo balls. MacGregor Tourney bag

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#291 Petethreeput

Petethreeput

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146815
  • Joined: 11/15/2011
  • Location:Montana
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 547

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:46 AM

Hareline has some tubing that may work.
Umpqua has a solid line of synthetic tubing as well.

Of course, because of the packaging it will be signicantly more expensive than cat gut or tennis racquet strings. Bc I am cheap I will use the proper sized stripped dyed schlappen quills with wire counter wrapped bc it will cut in the fishes mouth. Same with the pheasant tails.

I have never gotten to NZ to fish. Itís a dream of mine.

21

#292 Nomad Golfer

Nomad Golfer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366769
  • Joined: 03/17/2015
  • Location:Australia is an island off the west coast of Bribie where golf is all year round
  • Handicap:yes
GolfWRX Likes : 663

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:39 AM

View PostPetethreeput, on 01 July 2018 - 08:46 AM, said:

Hareline has some tubing that may work.
Umpqua has a solid line of synthetic tubing as well.

Of course, because of the packaging it will be signicantly more expensive than cat gut or tennis racquet strings. Bc I am cheap I will use the proper sized stripped dyed schlappen quills with wire counter wrapped bc it will cut in the fishes mouth. Same with the pheasant tails.

I have never gotten to NZ to fish. It's a dream of mine.
Thanks for your reply Pete.  There is some really good trout fishing (and sea-run Salmon in season) in NZ but it helps to have local knowledge. If you were going in cold I would suggest the North Island Taupo region which has the options of feeder rivers or lake fishing. There are both browns (large ones) and steelhead-type rainbows in the lakes and rivers, trolling permitted in the lake and flyfishing only everywhere else. Advice is easy to get and there are good guides if you wanted to go that way. Plus you are close to volcanoes (some active) beautiful forests and skifields (on the side of a volcano) hot thermal springs spas which are wonderful for aching bones after a days fishing. The best steelhead runs tend to be a bit later in the year now, from September on, and it's a bit warmer as well. In the South Island where I'm from it's mainly summer brown trout fishing and King salmon in season - there's some lovely trout streams, spring creeks etc but local knowledge is needed to get the best out of it.
There's a good web site here that a local guide Mike Hughes puts out and he's a nice guy to boot.
cheers
http://www.tongariro...co.nz/index.php

Attached Thumbnails

  • DSCN1110.JPG

Avatar:  Mac Tourney Staff Bag same as mine
Clubs are a mix of old and older.

Irregular bag:
Driver:(1): W/S Td5 Ti 9*
Driver (2): TaylorMade r7 425 11.5*
Fairway: Cleveland Launcher 17*
Hybrid: AdamsGolf Idea a12OS 22*
Irons: W/S Ci7 5-SW Dunlop 60*
Putter: Wilson Harmonized 744
Balls: Pinnacle Gold W/S Duo
Bag: AdamsGolf

Classic clubs:
Honma Persimmon woods 1 2 3 4 5 7

Honma LB-708 forged CB irons 3-9 10 11 & SW
PGF Chesterfield Persimmon #1
Slazenger Gary Player #2.
MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Classic irons 3-PW
Hogan Apex Plus E 46*
Lovett chipper 59*
PING PAL2. Knox Bullseye
W/S Duo balls. MacGregor Tourney bag

22

#293 GooseHook

GooseHook

    Keep it Fraiche

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114119
  • Joined: 09/01/2010
  • Location:Ball-tee-more
GolfWRX Likes : 4185

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:05 AM

Any fly fishermen out there catch the documentary that was recently released about Joe Brooks?
M1 2017 10.5°, Motore Speeder 757
Rogue Sub Zero 18°, Tour AD IZ
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil  110

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged, DGX100
Mizuno T7 50.07, 54.08 & 58.12

PM Grind 64°
Piretti Potenza
TP5x

WITB

23

#294 Nomad Golfer

Nomad Golfer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366769
  • Joined: 03/17/2015
  • Location:Australia is an island off the west coast of Bribie where golf is all year round
  • Handicap:yes
GolfWRX Likes : 663

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:00 PM

View PostGooseHook, on 02 July 2018 - 11:05 AM, said:

Any fly fishermen out there catch the documentary that was recently released about Joe Brooks?
I knew there was a film coming out about Joe (Finding Joe Brooks) but haven't seen it down south here. Will keep a lookout for it.
cheers
Avatar:  Mac Tourney Staff Bag same as mine
Clubs are a mix of old and older.

Irregular bag:
Driver:(1): W/S Td5 Ti 9*
Driver (2): TaylorMade r7 425 11.5*
Fairway: Cleveland Launcher 17*
Hybrid: AdamsGolf Idea a12OS 22*
Irons: W/S Ci7 5-SW Dunlop 60*
Putter: Wilson Harmonized 744
Balls: Pinnacle Gold W/S Duo
Bag: AdamsGolf

Classic clubs:
Honma Persimmon woods 1 2 3 4 5 7

Honma LB-708 forged CB irons 3-9 10 11 & SW
PGF Chesterfield Persimmon #1
Slazenger Gary Player #2.
MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Classic irons 3-PW
Hogan Apex Plus E 46*
Lovett chipper 59*
PING PAL2. Knox Bullseye
W/S Duo balls. MacGregor Tourney bag

24

#295 Nomad Golfer

Nomad Golfer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366769
  • Joined: 03/17/2015
  • Location:Australia is an island off the west coast of Bribie where golf is all year round
  • Handicap:yes
GolfWRX Likes : 663

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:29 PM

My favourite running steelhead fly, fished deep. They like legs for some reason, and the colour orange, so I made a ladybug #10 hook, pinched split shot, orange glo-bug yarn, legs from an old DT5F line and permanent marker dots.
"ladybug ladybug fly away home, your house is on fire and your children are gone"
Post me your favourite
cheers

Attached Thumbnails

  • ladybug2.JPG

Edited by Nomad Golfer, 06 August 2018 - 12:43 AM.

Avatar:  Mac Tourney Staff Bag same as mine
Clubs are a mix of old and older.

Irregular bag:
Driver:(1): W/S Td5 Ti 9*
Driver (2): TaylorMade r7 425 11.5*
Fairway: Cleveland Launcher 17*
Hybrid: AdamsGolf Idea a12OS 22*
Irons: W/S Ci7 5-SW Dunlop 60*
Putter: Wilson Harmonized 744
Balls: Pinnacle Gold W/S Duo
Bag: AdamsGolf

Classic clubs:
Honma Persimmon woods 1 2 3 4 5 7

Honma LB-708 forged CB irons 3-9 10 11 & SW
PGF Chesterfield Persimmon #1
Slazenger Gary Player #2.
MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Classic irons 3-PW
Hogan Apex Plus E 46*
Lovett chipper 59*
PING PAL2. Knox Bullseye
W/S Duo balls. MacGregor Tourney bag

25



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors