Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Official Ping G Irons Thread

679 replies to this topic

#1 keto

keto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126829
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:31 PM

:idhitit:

And I did.  And they were good.

1 week from official launch, about time for this thread no?  Placed my order yesterday.  I'm a vanilla hacker, 75mph 7i 15-17 hcp, this iron is right up my alley.  Hit em for a while in sim - I'm in Alberta, so no outdoor golf at the moment - hit em all over the face except high, very forgiving as one would expect of a G series Ping.  Nice to look down on, not at all shovel-ish.  Shoulda taken a snap or 2 but I didn't think of it in the moment :oops:

I'll have them in 2-3 weeks, long before the ranges are open here.....so I'll be swinging in the garage, or generally just admiring and caressing them for a few weeks :air_kiss:

What say ye?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 MattMo

MattMo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102846
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:Mattmorrissey
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:50 PM

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I'm interested to hear how these compare to the G25's. I didn't see enough reason to even demo the G30s, but these new look Gs have me intrigued.  I'm glad to see them go to a lighter finish that won't show as much wear and while I'm not a fan of the ferrule, I can deal with that.
Ping G25 9.5* w/ Harrison Saga
Ping G25 4W w/ TFC
Ping G15 20* Hybrid w/ GD YSQ
Ping i e1 4-U w/ CFS
Ping Glide 54*ws / 58*ws
Ping Redwood D66, 35"

#3 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,515 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 7200

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:24 PM

MattMo, on 04 February 2016 - 01:50 PM, said:

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I'm interested to hear how these compare to the G25's. I didn't see enough reason to even demo the G30s, but these new look Gs have me intrigued.  I'm glad to see them go to a lighter finish that won't show as much wear and while I'm not a fan of the ferrule, I can deal with that.

Hey Matt,

I've played every G iron going back to G10 and there isn't a profound difference in any of them.  Salient features of these new G's are a sleeker appearance, raw stainless finish so wear marks will be well hidden, new shaft options, and a spring face for added distance.  Unless you are distance challenged or your current clubs are poorly fit to your swing, there should be no NEED to upgrade.  Of course that shouldn't stop you from upgrading just because.  I just don't think you will see a huge difference from your G25's.
Ping G30 driver w/Adila Rogue Silver 60S
TEE XCG6 3 wood & E8 hybrids
Mizuno Hot Metal irons w/Recoil 95's
Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"

#4 dannynoonan1

dannynoonan1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 240257
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 04 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

Nessism, on 04 February 2016 - 02:24 PM, said:

Hey Matt,

I've played every G iron going back to G10 and there isn't a profound difference in any of them.  Salient features of these new G's are a sleeker appearance, raw stainless finish so wear marks will be well hidden, new shaft options, and a spring face for added distance.  Unless you are distance challenged or your current clubs are poorly fit to your swing, there should be no NEED to upgrade.  Of course that shouldn't stop you from upgrading just because.  I just don't think you will see a huge difference from your G25's.

Hey Nessim, I am new to the forums here but long time reader. I love Ping products and purchased my G20 irons a number of years ago based on a lot of your positive thoughts and they have been great irons! I do feel the time is now to upgrade. I am from Canada and have an opportunity to test the G line and get some trade in bonuses. i must say the i line has caught my attention too. I hit the 7 iron a few weeks ago and really liked the feel and look. I am unsure how I will hit the 4-5 irons yet and may need to give another swing. But the i's are significantly more in price.

I play maybe once a week and don't get a whole lot of time to practice with 2 young children. Distance isn't really an issue for me, i feel i hit my G20s plenty far. That's where the G has benefited me. I guess what I am trying to find out is if i can hit the G line fairly well, can i have the same success with the i's? Golf Digest hot list labeled the i's as game improvement irons looking more like players clubs and i love the looks, but I am concerned on off days how bad will I hit them. Have you had any experience with the new i line? I guess I find the i line really intriguing but it's quite a bit more money..

#5 keto

keto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:32 PM

Danny, I traded in i20's for the G's (so, 3 seasons with them I believe though I had other iron sets come and go during that time).  I had no problem hitting them, they are quite forgiving for more of a players iron.  Unlike you, I am distance challenged, so do welcome a few extra yards.  I'd say go hit the i's and see what you think...I believe you will find they feel a little nicer than the G's.

Matt, I never had the G25's or any other G so I myself can't compare.  Just hit all the G series for the past ~5 yrs in store, didn't really mesh with them at the time.  My swing's a little different and I've been working out, somewhere in there is a combo that makes me like them better now :shrugs:

#6 Brescia1016

Brescia1016

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 392242
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:42 PM

dannynoonan1, on 04 February 2016 - 02:59 PM, said:

Hey Matt,

Hey Nessim, I am new to the forums here but long time reader. I love Ping products and purchased my G20 irons a number of years ago based on a lot of your positive thoughts and they have been great irons! I do feel the time is now to upgrade. I am from Canada and have an opportunity to test the G line and get some trade in bonuses. i must say the i line has caught my attention too. I hit the 7 iron a few weeks ago and really liked the feel and look. I am unsure how I will hit the 4-5 irons yet and may need to give another swing. But the i's are significantly more in price.

I play maybe once a week and don't get a whole lot of time to practice with 2 young children. Distance isn't really an issue for me, i feel i hit my G20s plenty far. That's where the G has benefited me. I guess what I am trying to find out is if i can hit the G line fairly well, can i have the same success with the i's? Golf Digest hot list labeled the i's as game improvement irons looking more like players clubs and i love the looks, but I am concerned on off days how bad will I hit them. Have you had any experience with the new i line? I guess I find the i line really intriguing but it's quite a bit more money..

Danny,

I went from the G25s to the new ping I irons.  The difference in both distance and forgiveness for me is very small for me.  The I irons have alot of help in the small package.  I went with the nippon modus 105 stiff shaft and launch the ball just as high as i did with my G25s (had CFS stiff in them).  I can flight the ball low too if i need to.

I am really happy I went with the I irons as the look and feel are awesome. These are really soft feeling for a cast club.  They just want to go high and straight and land soft.

Best bet is go and give both of them and hit.  I would put alot of stock into how you like the looks of them becuase thats a big confidence boost.

Hope this helps and let me know if you want to know any more of my experience in switching from the G series to I series.
Cobra Fly Z Driver (11.5) - 43.5 - DG X100
Cobra Bio Cell 3 Wood (16) - 42 - DG X100
Cobra Bio Cell 5 Wood (20) - 41 - DG X100
Mizuno MP-18 - 3-PW - DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 52ss - DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 58ss - DG X100
Bettinardi BB16 - 34"

#7 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • 16,515 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:55 PM

During my years of playing G's I've also owned i20's, i5's, and ie1 irons, and while I can play the i's fine, I find the G's are just plain easier to hit.  The pattern that keeps repeating for me is that I'll be playing the i's but the scores are moving in the wrong direction, so I'll switch back to the G's and the scores almost immediately improve.  I've gone through this pattern a bunch of times.  Wish I could force myself to settle down with only one set of irons but what's the fun in that?  Seriously now, the G's are awesome and I don't understand why so many aspiring "players" feel the need to move to the less forgiving clubs.  At any rate, I HAVE learned my lesson.

#8 Brescia1016

Brescia1016

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 392242
  • Handicap:10

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

Nessism, on 04 February 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

During my years of playing G's I've also owned i20's, i5's, and ie1 irons, and while I can play the i's fine, I find the G's are just plain easier to hit.  The pattern that keeps repeating for me is that I'll be playing the i's but the scores are moving in the wrong direction, so I'll switch back to the G's and the scores almost immediately improve.  I've gone through this pattern a bunch of times.  Wish I could force myself to settle down with only one set of irons but what's the fun in that?  Seriously now, the G's are awesome and I don't understand why so many aspiring "players" feel the need to move to the less forgiving clubs.  At any rate, I HAVE learned my lesson.

Nessism,

I can see myself getting into the battle between playing the I series vs G series.  The difference for me is my score has remained the same if not improved slightly by gong to the Is.  Score would have probably improved if I stayed with the Gs becuase i loose most of my strokes on the Tee and Green, while my iron game is a strength.

The G irons are real point and shoot clubs and as a former baseball player I would get to quick and "hitty" with them, my fault not the clubs but i would rely to much on the club vs putting a good swing on it.

The Is give me enough forgiveness I need with also keeping me focused on putting a good swing on every shot.

Where i see the G irons coming back into my bag is in the future when I start a faimly and don't get to play and pratice as much as I do now.  Both series are awesome clubs and don't think anyone can go wrong with either set as I believe they cover a huge range of iron skill levels.
Cobra Fly Z Driver (11.5) - 43.5 - DG X100
Cobra Bio Cell 3 Wood (16) - 42 - DG X100
Cobra Bio Cell 5 Wood (20) - 41 - DG X100
Mizuno MP-18 - 3-PW - DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 52ss - DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 58ss - DG X100
Bettinardi BB16 - 34"

#9 pullfade

pullfade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147723
GolfWRX Likes : 179

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:29 PM

You know why Nessie.....because everyone wants to hit knockdowns, fades, hooks, draws, cuts and punches. Why would you want to hit high flying straight bombs at the flag all day with a G iron.....seems very boring to me.

Joking of course because when you are done with the high bombs you can still hit all of the other shots with the G's. Just a preference for me, but could play either and be very happy.

Edited by pullfade, 04 February 2016 - 04:30 PM.

TM M1 9.5 Kurokage 60 Silver
Ping G400 15 Tour 75
Ping G400 19 Tour 85
TM P770 4-PW KBS Tour FLT
TM EF ATV 52/58 KBS Tour V
Odyssey O-Works  #7s Red
TP5

#10 keto

keto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:41 PM

Funny, I went thru that last year but didn't really make the connection until now.  I started the year playing XR's (and G30 driver) and my scores steadily improved, until they didn't.  Had a bad round, bought a BioCell+ driver cheap and hit it well, and stuck the i20's in the bag for the rest of the year.....and my scores went the wrong way for the rest of the year, for the most part.  I had lost confidence in the XRs, so even when I took them to the range it was in my head that I wouldn't hit them well and....durrr, I didn't.  By the same token, I lost a little something (and for sure a buncha yardage) playing the i20's though I felt I was striking them OK.

Golf = in the head as much as in the hands lol.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 dannynoonan1

dannynoonan1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 240257

Posted 04 February 2016 - 05:27 PM

Brescia1016, on 04 February 2016 - 04:22 PM, said:

Nessism,

I can see myself getting into the battle between playing the I series vs G series.  The difference for me is my score has remained the same if not improved slightly by gong to the Is.  Score would have probably improved if I stayed with the Gs becuase i loose most of my strokes on the Tee and Green, while my iron game is a strength.

The G irons are real point and shoot clubs and as a former baseball player I would get to quick and "hitty" with them, my fault not the clubs but i would rely to much on the club vs putting a good swing on it.

The Is give me enough forgiveness I need with also keeping me focused on putting a good swing on every shot.

Where i see the G irons coming back into my bag is in the future when I start a faimly and don't get to play and pratice as much as I do now.  Both series are awesome clubs and don't think anyone can go wrong with either set as I believe they cover a huge range of iron skill levels.

All great points guys! Your last comment is where I am, family and not a lot of practice! I will go out and hit both clubs to compare, I also think the savings with going to the G's vs I's would be in around the $500.00 range, so that will factor into it as well. Anyways, I will let you know how I make out, I have a fitting in two weeks.

#12 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 4820

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:23 PM

Got some on order, I honestly need the help.  I had an epiphany a while back.  I dont need to work the ball, I don't need to hit knock downs any longer, hell my stock shot is a knock down.....I need help getting the ball in the air.  :stink:
Callaway GBB 11.5
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway X Hot2 9 wood
Ping G 4-U
Miura 53 Y grind
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Ping Hoofer
ECCO x4

#13 Ripken08

Ripken08

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101611
GolfWRX Likes : 627

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:11 PM

I am having a set of G10s refinished as we speak.  Should be here early next week.  Was going to get the new ones, but went a much cheaper route :)
Ping G400 9*, Alta CB
Callaway Steelhead III 3/5/7 uniflex steel
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-PW, PX LZ 5.5
Mizuno S18 52/58, PX LZ 5.5
Ping Craz-E

Sun Mountain 3.5 LS

#14 CDLgolf

CDLgolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2416

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:35 AM

With that said are you going to get a set of the G's or are you content with the G30's ?
I hit both the G's and the ie1 the other day and both seem to perform better than my i25's. Distance was basically the same on all clubs but the accuracy/ miss hits were better with the ie1's and even a bit better with the G's.
I have not hit the G30's but if the G30 and G are about the same maybe I'll have to consider the G30's to same a few bucks.
I played the G25's and liked them but for some reason when the I25's came out I ended up with a set of them.
Like you I wonder why I just don't stick with one set. Oh well decisions, decisions.
Ping G30
Ping G25 3 & 5 wood
Ping G25  23* hybrid
Ping G25  5- pw
Ping Tour Gorge 52, 56, 60
Odyssey

#15 jol

jol

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 110098
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:11 AM

The redesign and revised cosmetics are a huge improvement over the G30 (I personally couldn't look down at one). I compared the specs of the new Ping G to the old TM '09 Burners and they were very similar. The old Burners were one of the best selling irons and I predict that the G's will also do very well. I'm in the market for new set of irons and will definitely take a look at these.  My only initial concern is that the offset maybe a bit too much for me. BTW, the last set of Ping irons I owned were the IO3's.

Edited by jol, 05 February 2016 - 08:12 AM.

#16 just plain bill

just plain bill

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379434
  • Handicap:6.8
  • Ebay ID:billharmonica
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:16 AM

i got the karstens cuz they were cheaper than the g series, and i hit 'em the same, but i do have some wedges/hybrids that are g20 and i love 'em, of course! wish i woulda discovered ping long ago...
drivers: Ping K15 10.5,  Nike Sasquatch 16*
hyb: Ping G20: 31*, 27*, 17*
irons:    Ping Karsten  8, 9, pw (ks 401 shafts sr flex)
wedges:   Ping G20 58* lob, 54* sw, 50* gap.  wilson 68*, cle 64*
putter:   Odyssey Versa Jailbird
ball:   Pinn Soft
bag:   Ping cart
chess:   it's your turn  -  just plain bill

#17 jhd12

jhd12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33925

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:11 PM

Hey Matt,

Ness, I go back even a bit further than you, with my G5s.  Very interesting to read your comment about lack of a profound difference in the G's. Each time a new G was released I demo'd it looking for some significant improvement and for a reason to buy!  Did this for the 10s, 15s, 20s, 25s, 30s and never found that major improvement. I found the difference between models to be minor, and even the SUM of all the improvements G5 - G30 didn't seem significant to me. So I resisted the temptation to buy the "latest and greatest" G iron - perhaps because my baseline G5 was SO GOOD to begin with!!

Aside from playing well my G5s still look great. I am not sure but I believe G5s may have been among the last to be cast from the Ping factory in Phoenix. Whatever process they were using at the time, the G5s seem indestructible. I have read that subsequent G models have had durability/cosmetic issues from time to time. And of course I am biased, but I believe the 5s were one of the better looking Gs as well.

Probably a good thing more players are not like me - the golf industry would be suffering even more than it is. Having said that, I'm demoing Cally XR OS tomorrow. Maybe they can knock the G5s out of the bag after 10 years or so.

#18 MattMo

MattMo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:23 PM

jhd12, on 05 February 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

Hey Matt,

Ness, I go back even a bit further than you, with my G5s.  Very interesting to read your comment about lack of a profound difference in the G's. Each time a new G was released I demo'd it looking for some significant improvement and for a reason to buy!  Did this for the 10s, 15s, 20s, 25s, 30s and never found that major improvement. I found the difference between models to be minor, and even the SUM of all the improvements G5 - G30 didn't seem significant to me. So I resisted the temptation to buy the "latest and greatest" G iron - perhaps because my baseline G5 was SO GOOD to begin with!!

Aside from playing well my G5s still look great. I am not sure but I believe G5s may have been among the last to be cast from the Ping factory in Phoenix. Whatever process they were using at the time, the G5s seem indestructible. I have read that subsequent G models have had durability/cosmetic issues from time to time. And of course I am biased, but I believe the 5s were one of the better looking Gs as well.

Probably a good thing more players are not like me - the golf industry would be suffering even more than it is. Having said that, I'm demoing Cally XR OS tomorrow. Maybe they can knock the G5s out of the bag after 10 years or so.

Nice!  I do love me some G5's.  A simple, clean GI iron that flat out works.  Always wanted to try those with something other than the CS Lite that came stock.
Ping G25 4W w/ TFC
Ping i e1 4-U w/ CFS
Ping Glide 54*ws / 58*ws
Ping Redwood D66, 35"

#19 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • 16,515 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

I had some G5's for a while too, but I only used them a few times and then sold them.  Didn't sell for any good reason other than the fact that I had three sets of G's at that time and the 5's were pristine and I didn't want to beat them up and devalue them any more than I did.  At any rate, all the G's are awesome.  

clinville, on 05 February 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

With that said are you going to get a set of the G's or are you content with the G30's ?

I'll most likely wind up with the new G's at some point, but staying with my 30's for now.  I hit the ball plenty far so distance isn't an allure for me, but more importantly my 30's are still in great shape and I put Recoil's in them and tweaked the lofts to suit my sensibilities.  Paying $800 + tax for the new G's, and then tearing them apart for a shaft change and what have you doesn't make economical sense right now.

#20 gvogel

gvogel

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 1333

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:47 PM

I might be in the market for the 6-iron and 7-iron in the G set, because the lofts are 2* stronger than in the G25's, which I tried and hit shorter than my AP1's.

I like the idea that the new stock shaft is a Nippon as well; I really like the Nippon 105T in my AP1's.  So, I'll be taking a hard look at a couple of these.  Maybe even the 5-iron.

On Sundays, I used to play hickory

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 pusb365

pusb365

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358233
GolfWRX Likes : 173

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:22 PM

Got mine on order.

I currently have X2 Hot Pros. Im officially a 12 ish cap but probably nearer a 10 now. I like these clubs, they feel great when flushed but aren't the most forgiving. Also they weren't custom fitted for me.

Went for a fitting a few weeks ago and tried the G's, I's, Apex, Apex Pro, Ap1, JPX850 forged and one other that I've forgotten.

The G and Apex Pro were the best by a mile. Then after comparing those two side by side for a while the G's came out well on top.

They were very long (10 yards longer than my X2s) and very straight/forgiving.

I had never hit a G series iron before that day, and I had seen people on these boards describe them as 'point and shoot' clubs. I can see why now.

Can't wait to pick them up.

#22 JourdanM

JourdanM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 323095
  • Handicap:17
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:59 PM

Got fitted for these on Tuesday. I'm an 18, club speed of 83.3 with the 7i. Picked up about 10 yards of carry over my g25s, and MUCH tighter dispersion. I really like the look of these at address and I think they instill confidence. Didn't place my order yet, need to test some of the other clubs in the set. Looking at purple color code. Thinking I will replace the 4i with the 4 crossover, because my goodness, is that thing easy to hit.

Went in wanting the 716AP1 but with the same dispersion and 15 yards more distance, think these are the winners.

#23 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 19,451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 19396

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:28 PM

People should just direct ping G questions straight to nessism. He's like the expert witness in a criminal trial. I come to post and then feel like James Carville in the "old school" debate scene
Callaway Epic Subzero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S200
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

#24 cricgolf

cricgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 258296
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:51 PM

Great posts. Am torn between Srixon 355, Ap 1, G and the Mizuno EZ.
Had the best dispersion and backspin
with the ap1. How was backspin with the G for everyone here? Crossfield 's
review seemed the suggest a lower backspin for the G's.

#25 animalgolfs

animalgolfs

FL & OK

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212485
  • Handicap:Gut
GolfWRX Likes : 503

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:54 PM

I'm expecting these G to be the end all for me....i score just fine, just looking for simple results

G LST 9* Tour 65
G SFT 16.5* Tour 80
G 19* Tour 90
Crossover 21* & 24* Steelfiber i110
Anser '12 5-PW Steelfiber i95
Glide 50* 54* 58* Steelfiber i110
iwi Craz-e

#26 forefrazier

forefrazier

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176038
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:06 PM

Question for those thinking of going with the AMT shafts..What will you do for wedge shafts? I don't see an option for AMT shafts in the Glide wedges as of yet so will you just use the CFS Wedge shaft? PW/Gap wedge shaft in the G irons would be about 109g according to the website graphics and would have to jump to 118g in the CFS if going with the Glide sand and lob wedges.....thoughts?

#27 philly2kuk

philly2kuk

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 290123
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:57 AM

I have G25s and I've hit both G30 and the new G iron. Seen no reason to change. The G30 didn't give me any benefit over my current irons and the G goes 5 yards further than my G25s.   My only regret is selling my G10s and getting taylormades before coming back to the G25s.

For the sake of 5 yards I see no point in changing from a set of irons I play well with. It's not my iron play that's letting me down!
Ping G SF Tec 12°
Ping G 5 wood (set at 16.5°)
Ping G 22° hybrid
Ping G25 4-UW
Cleveland RTX 1.0 (56°) and 2.0 (60°)
Ping Vault Voss Grey

Remember, there's no pictures on a scorecard, only a number.

#28 pullfade

pullfade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147723
GolfWRX Likes : 179

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:44 AM

forefrazier, on 05 February 2016 - 09:06 PM, said:

Question for those thinking of going with the AMT shafts..What will you do for wedge shafts? I don't see an option for AMT shafts in the Glide wedges as of yet so will you just use the CFS Wedge shaft? PW/Gap wedge shaft in the G irons would be about 109g according to the website graphics and would have to jump to 118g in the CFS if going with the Glide sand and lob wedges.....thoughts?
I prefer the heavier weight so the CFS wedge shaft is a good fit IMO, but I am sure you can order the same shaft in the glides as your irons if that is what you want.

Edited by pullfade, 06 February 2016 - 09:49 AM.

TM M1 9.5 Kurokage 60 Silver
Ping G400 15 Tour 75
Ping G400 19 Tour 85
TM P770 4-PW KBS Tour FLT
TM EF ATV 52/58 KBS Tour V
Odyssey O-Works  #7s Red
TP5

#29 BCULAW

BCULAW

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2307
  • Ebay ID:bculaw
GolfWRX Likes : 1659

Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:08 AM

MtlJeff, on 05 February 2016 - 06:28 PM, said:

People should just direct ping G questions straight to nessism. He's like the expert witness in a criminal trial. I come to post and then feel like James Carville in the "old school" debate scene

James Carville: Thank you, Thank you, Dean Pritchard. It's an honor and a pleasure to be here, sir.

Dean Pritchard: Topic number one. What is your position on the role of government in supporting innovation in the field of biotechnology?

James Carville: Well, Dean, I'm, I'm glad that you asked that question...

Frank: Uhhh... Actually, I'd like to jump in and take that one, Jimmy, If you don't mind.

James Carville: Have at it, Hoss.

Frank: [Frank takes a drink of water, makes a funny face and grunts] Recent research has shown that empirical evidence for globalization of corporate innovation is very limited and as a corollary the market for technologies is shrinking. As a world leader, it's important for America to provide systematic research grants for our scientists. I believe strongly there will always be a need for us to have a well-articulated innovation policy with emphasis on human resource development. Thank you.
[Frank grunts, makes a face and goes limp; audience applauds]

Frank: What happened? I blacked out.

Dean Pritchard: That was interesting. ha ha. Thank you very much. And, uh, your rebuttal? Mr. Carville.

James Carville: Oh... It... We... have no response. That was perfect.

Frank: That's the way you do it! That's the way you debate!

#30 MattMo

MattMo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:25 PM

I was able to hit the new G's today, so I will answer my own question.  Here's my take:
* New G's gave my 10-12 more yards with similar dispersion.  I have stiff CFS in my 25s and I tried the AWT 2.0 in the G's.  I realize the G's have stronger lofts, but I was still surprised by the gained yardage.
* G's offered more feedback on mis hits and I attribute this to the rubber dampening badge in the cavity of the 25s.  The G's gave me a better sense of where on the club face I struck the ball.
G's produced a louder "thwack" when hit and I think Nessism also referenced this being the case with flex-faced irons in a previous post.  Wasn't a big deal, just noticeably different than the 25s
*Appearance wise, I like the lighter finish on the G's vs the darker finish on the 25s and 30s, which seemed to prematurely wear.  I like the cleaner cavity / badge in the G's and don't mind the looks of the "eye".  I can learn to live with a ferrule, though I've grown accustomed to (and prefer) their ferrule-less irons from recent generations.

Bottom line, with the results I was getting,  I'm taking a long hard look at these G's.  I've never paid full retail for a set of irons, but these may just change that.

Ping G25 4W w/ TFC
Ping i e1 4-U w/ CFS
Ping Glide 54*ws / 58*ws
Ping Redwood D66, 35"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors