Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 3 votes

What do you do when your game falls apart?

sad

243 replies to this topic

#1 Shawn Paul

Shawn Paul

The love you take is equal to the love you make

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 364165
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 388

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:28 PM

How do you get out of a rut / bad place on a day when your game falls apart?  How do you shake yourself back into focus and get over a bad shot?

When I come of the rails I simply try to remember the basics of my swing.  I slow down, I have a smoke.  I try to block distractions out.  One shot at a time.

The other day my pal and I were playing a round at the simulator (its cold up here in 'sota) and about halfway through he totally fell apart.  To his credit this has happened to him before on epic proportions.  Once he loses it, its over and there is no getting it back.  He would be best served to head to the clubhouse for a sandwich and a beer.  At the end he kept saying, "I just wish this was over."

4 days later we attempted the sim again, after 3 holes he tapped out.  Swing and confidence utterly destroyed.

I think for most of us our first instinct is to give advice when something like this happens but it rarely works for the person at the time.

What helps you when it falls apart and how can I best help someone else?

Mizuno JPX900F on KBS 120TourS
Cobra Fly Z Xstiff
Cobra Fly-Z 3W
Cobra Fly Z HB 3-4
Cure RX3
Titleist Vokey Raw Mild Steel  52/56/60 Rusted & Trusted

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Markrip

Markrip

Boss fan 62

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 365551
GolfWRX Likes : 632

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:11 PM

When I have a really bad round I like to go to the range and get back to basics. I'll slow things down and just work on striking the ball well. This usually helps me.
Driver -Adams Speedline Super S
3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16 degree
Hybrids- Taylormade RBZ 19 and 22 degree
Irons- Adams XTD 5-PW
Wedges-  Tour Edge CB Pro 54 and 58 degree
              Wilson Harmonized 60 degree
Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01

#3 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,643 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 4641

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:12 PM

Go work on my short game.  Because I know I will be missing greens.
Callaway GBB 10.5
Callaway GBB 3w, HW
Callaway X Hot2 9 wood
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide SS 54
Ping Glide 2 SS 58
Odyssey Pro #1
Ping Hoofer
ECCO

#4 Sun Devil

Sun Devil

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 408462
  • Handicap:9.8
GolfWRX Likes : 920

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:55 PM

We've all been there.  There's been times that my playing partner just picked up for a few holes to give it a breather.

If I'm in a rut .... I try to remember that there are 18 holes and each hole is like starting over.  I try to slow down and remember some basic fundamentals.  That and beer usually works.
Titleist 910 D2 Diamana Stiff
M2 HL 3wood
Ping G25 hybrid TourAd UT-85s
Callaway Apex CF16 Irons with Aerotech Steel Fiber I95 Stiff; Soft Stepped; +1/2"; flat 1 degree
Cleveland Wedges 50,56,60 with Nippon N.S.Pro 1050GH S
Ping Sigma G Tyne Putter
ProV1x

#5 Exactice808

Exactice808

Just want to hit ball far and go find it...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 220751
  • Handicap:7-27
GolfWRX Likes : 3116

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:04 PM

Hey OP, I might steer this into a whole ball of wax but my thoughts.

I have suffered from PTSD (panic and anxiety disorder) for the last 8 years (Prior military, with a couple deployments),  went into a really bad time for the first 3 years and battled it on as of since....  One thing I learned is its Mental and can either take a HUGE toll on you or it is something you can actually get over and fight quite easily.

If you have the physical skills to play golf and play a decent round, the only thing that can take you down or more so wreck your game when it falls apart is a mental battle.  Learning how to mentally get over the anxiety/panic is the key here.  

Sorry here comes the long story........

Anxiety/panic attacks are fear of the unknown.  Its your fight or flight mechanisms going out of whack.  Think of when you are struggling or stressed, you get a shot of adrenaline, sometimes you shake sometimes you have repetitive thoughts that have the fear of the worse (I just shanked, OMG am I going to do it again, OMG is every shot going to be a shank).

This is no different from being on the 18th hole with a 4ft putt that can win it all or lose it all.  The body knowns no difference between being shot at or having the biggest putt of your life, all it knows is its in shock, there might be danger and the body goes in to protection mode.  I used to have HUGE panic attacks on the critical putts, I wondered why and it freaked me out, I told my self I have been shot at and blown up, but its the same feeling..... Again the body doesnt know the difference.

My point?  Well when you make a bad shot.... panic/anxiety sets in, the severity might not be the same as standing on the edge of a 20 story building, but panic does set in.  Then what happens next, the fear of the unknown, doubts and second guessing sets in.  This is what cause a bad round to get worse and for bad shots to compile on each other.

So what do you do,  Well....

1) A bad shot is just panic setting in, so you need to calm yourself,  get the adrenaline rush out of you.  You might not notice it, but you get that burst, its there be aware of it. That is why the bad shots get compounded because of the adrenaline.  So if its a bad tee shot, dont re-tee,  take a step back, let your playing partner hit, then reset and go for it again.
2) DO NOT CHANGE what you are doing.   This what compounds the panic,  What do I mean, well you have been playing good golf and you had 1 bad shot, all of a sudden you want to change just because of that 1 bad shot.....why?  For me when a panic attack happens, the first thing we think is Something is seriously wrong and we want to fix it immediately, when there was nothing wrong to begin with, we feel like OMG heart attack, or OMG headaches I need tylenol.  Its the same,  OMG I just shanked the shot, OMG I just hooked it.   It was 1 bad shot, if you start messing around with your grip your stance you swing path,  YOUR SHOT WILL GET WORSE!
3) The moment you have calmed down prior to your next shot, you have 2 choices,  dial it back with a less club,  or reset and hit your normal shot,  Dont amp it, dont slow it down, do the same thing you have been doing prior to the bad shot,  It was 1 bad shot, it does not require a swing revamp.  
4) The hardest part...... Forget the bad shot it was 1 bad shot,  You ever noticed how many times you remember your bad shots, but how many times do you remember your BEST shots?  Many times people focus on the negative.  Not the positive, you must overcome this mental block and focus on only your good shots!
5) If you are having a mental block focus ONLY on 1 GREAT SHOT YOU HAD THAT DAY, that pure shot, that one you stoned the flag something positive, get the negative thought out of your head.

Panic/Anxiety/PTSD is not just for war, it happens to everyone,  a bank robbery, a car accident, spilling a glass of water,  anything can trigger the fight or flight mechanism, you just need to know how you over come it an realize its just a misunderstanding. While some peoples situation is triggered differently and more so the severity it is still a mechanism in the body.

Do not compound the thoughts, Realize you were fine before it happened and you will be fine after it....

GL OP!

Edited by Exactice808, 21 July 2017 - 04:09 PM.

Titleist 915D3 Diamana D+ S 70
Xhot Pro 15* Pxv 6.0
TM 18* M2 Rogue Silver 60 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2's 4,5 NSPro 1150GH Stiff
Cobra AMP Cell Pro 6-PW PX 6.0 Rifles
Titleist SM5 Vokey50*/8*, 54*/10* & 58*/8* X100's
Scotty Cameron Newport Select 33"

#6 NavyMustangGolf

NavyMustangGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129969
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:47 PM

When It goes really bad, I will usually try to salvage the good in the round. IE. If I am playing for scratch, I just resign that I am not winning today, and start playing for fun. Round usually goes better, and the damage is limited. If its to the point where i am hitting hosel rockets and connot even make a good swing, I withdraw and head to the range for a bit prior to heading home. My personal rule is that as long as I am paying to play, I am going to have fun. If I am not, then I am going home with my wife and kids. Life is too short to pay to be frustrated and pissed off. Now, once Callaway starts sending me checks, I guess I will tough it out. For the fans, of course, lol.
I felt really good about that shot....
Until I hit it.

#7 rgk5

rgk5

rgk5(OLB)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3525
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 985

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:51 PM

Three years ago I was following Sean Foley's teaching(I know his Dad) and played very well.  Last year I tried something different and played like an arthritic octopus. This morning I re-watched his DVD jumped on the Foresight and boom, it all came back in an hour.  I'm staying with him as it has not hurt Rose or Mahan.  Tiger?  Well, he's Tiger.

#1 Cobra F6+ 9.5*, Matrix Red Tie Lite

Cobra F6  F6 15.5*, Matrix Red Tie Lite

Cobra F6 18.5*, Matrix Red Tie Lite

Cobra F6 21.5*, Matrix Red tie R

Tourstage 2008 XBlade 5-pw, TS 75 I Graphite S

Cobra Tour Trusty 51*, 55*, 60*

Tour Velvet Grips

Wilson Staff Infinite

Srixon QStar Tour  ball

#8 Mr22putt

Mr22putt

Hall of Fame

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,067 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153663
GolfWRX Likes : 2269

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:55 PM

View PostShawn Paul, on 26 January 2016 - 05:28 PM, said:

How do you get out of a rut / bad place on a day when your game falls apart?
Call 1-800-GOLFGOD and ask for forgiveness.

#9 Mulligan26

Mulligan26

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28075
GolfWRX Likes : 445

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

I hit balls with my feet together as most of my bad shots are tempo related, then drink heavily. Following that, I look at the beautiful woman sleeping next to me and realize... life aint so bad.
Bats/Sticks/Tools:

Ping G 10.5 set at 9.9, tour ad di 6x
Titleist 915F set at A4 (16.5), Rouge Black 80s
Titleist 910H set at A1 (19), Diamana Whiteboard 90s
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, KBS Tour 120s
Titleist SM6 52(bent to 51), 56, 60. M grinds on the 56 and 60 F on the 51
Cameron Squareback.
ProV1x

Assistant Professional
PGA Apprentice

"Live Free or Die"

#10 Exactice808

Exactice808

Just want to hit ball far and go find it...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 220751
  • Handicap:7-27
GolfWRX Likes : 3116

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:27 PM

Can I throw in a quick short story?

So I have been playing some of the best golf of my life, I made a thread too discussing, when the glass is going to break when this lucky streak is going to end......It hasnt and its seemingly on a great course.  My bad days are actually now my handicap score (11-13),  my Good days are well below my handicap (6-8), so I am trending down fast.

The other day I was working on shots, flighting/knockdowns/punch shots all that good stuff..... and then the dreaded shank appeared (just one).  Prior to that I was smoking the ball hitting crazy shots and even noticed people stopping to watch as I hit the ball.   That shank showed its face and panic set it.  I know some people saw it and I feared the worse.  Embarrassment of course was there and then the adrenaline, the cold sweats and then the negative thoughts.  "OMG am I going to do it again in front of everyone." "OMG is this really happening, OMG is this were my downfall begins"

At that moment, I stopped, Took a deep breath.... I literally laughed at myself with self reflection and realized I was making a mountain out of a mole hill. I realized that this is like a panic PTSD moment, were I am over thinking and amplifying my mistake when it was just that, a simple mistake.

I collected myself. Setup and went right back to hitting my shots,  beautiful shots. No problems...... That is when I realized my deterioration was from me and only me.

I played a round last week, where I was on track for a 79.  I was 6 over on the 16th hole,  17th is a 170 yard par3 into the wind (20+mph) plays like 190-200,  Anyways I hit the green about 20ft away should be easy 2 putt par,  I choke and 3 putt, opponent is laughing and making fun and realizing now, I am 7 over and I must par the 18th hole. The 18th is sort of an easy hole but I think before I averaged double bogey or worse due to the layout does not fit my ball flight.  Panic set in again realizing how important it was and more so coming off an easy 2 putt making 3 putt mentally I was challenged and bogged down.

I sucked it up, forced "forgot" 17..... and piped the best drive I have ever hit into this stupid 18th fairway, leaving me about 110 into the wind.  Excitement and a little fear set it, I hit a shot... I leaked it right pin in the middle I hit the right fringe.....OMG I screwed up damn it........ but that was it, I didnt think about the screw up I went straight to how am I going to get up and down from 25ft away from the pin on the fringe.  I distracted my mind from concentrating on the missed shot, to how am I going to make the next shot...... I chipped up to 4 inches for easy tap in, made par and shot my 79.  Mentally elated as I battled and battled hard a mental game to crunch out a number wanted!

ITS mental!  Focus on the good shots and good shots alone!

Titleist 915D3 Diamana D+ S 70
Xhot Pro 15* Pxv 6.0
TM 18* M2 Rogue Silver 60 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2's 4,5 NSPro 1150GH Stiff
Cobra AMP Cell Pro 6-PW PX 6.0 Rifles
Titleist SM5 Vokey50*/8*, 54*/10* & 58*/8* X100's
Scotty Cameron Newport Select 33"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 2bGood

2bGood

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91033
  • Handicap:3-8
GolfWRX Likes : 2564

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:35 PM

For me I always try to grind and just find SOMETHING to feel good about. A putt, a wedge shot, any little thing I can build off of.

#12 halliedog

halliedog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30624
  • Handicap:5.2
GolfWRX Likes : 433

Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:26 PM

6-pack @ the turn.  Helps heal what's been ailing you on the front, or helps keep the nerves down if you happen to have a good round going coming down the stretch!
WITB:
TM R15 9.5* w/ Fubuki Alpha Tour 73x  Ping TiSi Tec 7.5* w/ Prolite Red 3.5
Callaway 13.5* Pro Deep w/ Project X V6.0
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM RSi-TP 4-9 w/ KBS Tour V X
TM Rac PW - 48* w/ KBS C-Taper X
Nevada Golf Guy 53-08 w/ KBS Tour V X
TM Spider Blade 32 - 35"

#13 Nomad Golfer

Nomad Golfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366769
  • Location:Bribie Island, a Queensland island SE Australia where golf is all year round
  • Handicap:yes
GolfWRX Likes : 605

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:42 AM

I cry a lot and then get on with it
Avatar:  Mac Tourney Staff Bag same as mine

Regular bag:
Driver: TaylorMade r7 425 11.5*
Fairway: Cleveland Launcher 17*
Hybrid: Adams Idea a12 OS 22*
Irons: W/S Ci7 5-SW Dunlop 60*
Putter: Wilson Harmonized 744
Balls: Pinnacle Gold W/S Duo
Bag: AdamsGolf lite

Classic collection:
Honma Persimmon woods 1 2 3 4 5 7 PGF Chesterfield Persimmon #1 PGF Aristocrat Tour #3 PGF Little Slammer #5 Slazenger Gary Player #2
Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear mkIII #4 Spalding Executive #7 MacGregor Reverse Draft irons 5-SW MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Classic irons 3-SW Honma LB-708 Cavity Back irons 3-9 10 11 & SW Hogan Apex Plus E 46* Lovett Tour Standard chipper 59* Karsten PING PAL2 Knox Bullseye MacGregor Tour Classic bag

#14 duffer888

duffer888

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22282
GolfWRX Likes : 232

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:24 AM

Start drinking beer at the turn.

Take a week off.  Oddly enough my swing is sometimes pretty good after not touching a club for a bit.  The challenge is keeping it going before the bad habits creep back in.
What's in the Swift X?
Ping driver
Callaway fairways
Ping irons
TM ball
SeeMore mFPG

#15 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,394 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
GolfWRX Likes : 10622

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:32 AM

First, I limp into the club house.  I think it's nice to have some punch shots, bunt drives, and basic chips and pitches that you feel are very easy to execute.  Limp in with the best score possible.  Sometimes you'll surprise yourself.  Create fewer bad memories if possible.  Then I go straight to the range and figure it out even if your hands start bleeding first. :)

#16 drkhorse117

drkhorse117

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6671
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:17 AM

I noticed that when my rounds starts heading the wrong way, I'm usually too much in my head, thinking about mechanics. When I catch myself, I come back by taking a deep breath and enjoying the scenery and what's around me. This sounds lame but I try to become one with my surroundings. (This is one of the main reasons I started walking the course vs carting it.  Playing the game the way it was meant to be played.). Once I come back to nature, I focus on my target.  Once I start focusing on my target and not on my mechanics, my body starts to feel the shot that wants to be played.  

Tl:dr: I enjoy the natural environment, count my blessings and play the game.

#17 hammy83

hammy83

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136777
GolfWRX Likes : 1126

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:35 AM

go home...and have sex with the wife.  Seems to make me forget about other things.   I might need a new strategy with a baby due in April.

Edited by hammy83, 27 January 2016 - 07:38 AM.

#18 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 3027

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:40 AM

View Postdlygrisse, on 26 January 2016 - 06:12 PM, said:

Go work on my short game.  Because I know I will be missing greens.

This is exactly what I do - bunker shots specifically.  Hitting a good bunker shot requires a long swing with an aggressive move through the ball. I'll let this bleed over into the rest of the bag, but a half hour of bunker shots straightens me out every time.

#19 niscur24

niscur24

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3228
GolfWRX Likes : 816

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:45 AM

Buy new clubs......its obviously their fault anyways....
Taylormade M2 10.5 Elements Fire 7X
Vapor JDM 2dot 3w Elements Earth 8x
Vapor Fly 5w Attas T2 9X
Vapor Pro 4- pw DGS300
Vokey Forged/TVD-R 50/54/58 Ctaper125
Cameron Cali Monterey 1.5

PLUS A PLETHORA OF NIKE BACKUPS

WITB:http://www.golfwrx.c...date-nike-time/

#20 Shawn Paul

Shawn Paul

The love you take is equal to the love you make

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 364165
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 388

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:13 PM

View PostExactice808, on 26 January 2016 - 07:04 PM, said:

Hey OP, I might steer this into a whole ball of wax but my thoughts.

Nice thoughts, good insight thanks for sharing.  My pal is in the military and is deployed every 2 years so maybe there is some PTSD coping that he needs to deal with.

I also think that if you practice the proper way then you're better prepared for when things fall apart.  There's that word again, practice...

Mizuno JPX900F on KBS 120TourS
Cobra Fly Z Xstiff
Cobra Fly-Z 3W
Cobra Fly Z HB 3-4
Cure RX3
Titleist Vokey Raw Mild Steel  52/56/60 Rusted & Trusted

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 llewol007

llewol007

4KidsGolfer

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211323
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 713

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

Well its obviously the club and not me so back to the BST for my next purchase. Some times i turn to my chrome plated friend who bids me hello. Take a couple of swigs and suddenly my game is not that bad.
Taylormade JDM SLDR 10* Paderson Kinetixx KG860TP D40
Taylormade Aeroburner 15* Paderson Kinetixx Ballistic KG860 D40
Taylormade Aeroburner 18* Paderson Kinetixx KF271 D40
TaylorMade 2014 MB 5-Pw Paderson Kinetixx X Flex
Taylormade Tour Preffered Chrome EF Insert Carbon Steel 52/58 KBS Tour V 120S
Taylormade Ghost Tour Long Hosel
Taylormade TP5X/Lethal

#22 starsail85

starsail85

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2663
GolfWRX Likes : 885

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

I get on WRX as soon as I can and get some new swing crack to give me hope lol
M1 440 9.5/ Oban hb 65x 43.5"
M2 Tour 15/ Oban hb 75x 42.5"
M1 19/ Oban Kiyoshi Gold 85x 41"
MP4 4-9 / Modus 3 105 x
MPt7 4808/5209/5715/6111
Ping Sigma Derby 33"

Iron specs 61.5 57 52.5 48 43.5 39 34.5 30 25.5 21
     "        35 2/8 35 7/8 36 4/8 37 1/8 37 6/8 38 3/8 39

#23 EKELLY

EKELLY

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 405114
  • Handicap:+2
  • Ebay ID:edwardkellyed
GolfWRX Likes : 959

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:48 PM

I usually follow my friends advice, "take 2 weeks off, then forget you ever played before". Worthless advice, but it makes me laugh.

#24 tgyphilly

tgyphilly

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358855
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:23 AM

I vow to quit golf forever. Works every time.

#25 mizunoman800

mizunoman800

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125200
  • Handicap:4ish
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

I remind myself it's just a game and not stress about it. Everyone has bad days and we all find our swing again. To limp in I will club up and swing much slower than normal. A lot of times something will just click and I can try going after it again. I also try changing my grip from strong to weak. The different feel  keeps the demons out of my head while I am focusing on that new sensation. Sometimes it just takes a shot or 2 to get your groove back. Beer always helps too.

#26 Millbrook

Millbrook

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216859
GolfWRX Likes : 350

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:09 AM

If your buddy is keen to fix the issue you may want to get him to agree to verbalise his thoughts the next time it happens.

The self talk which goes on in our heads when we stress out can be very destructive. Verbalising it to a trusted buddy may give you both the chance to enable him to dissociate from it.
All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

#27 playa

playa

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,045 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
GolfWRX Likes : 3713

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:57 PM

I'm assuming by 'falling apart' we are referring to a game wrecking error.entering our round i.e..shank/pulll hook/top etc. Basically,  something that you just can't go with til the end of the round and fix on the range.  In those circumstances I think it's important to have a go to shot to fall back on. It might be a half swing punch shot if it's your irons, a controlled fade with driver, going with 3 wood off the tee etc. You need a plan B.. The other day I was hitting good iron shots and chipping and putting well, but I started pull hooking my driver. I pereservered with it and it ended up turning what could easily have been a 75 into an 82 (tight course where left was dead). I had no plan B. My new priority is to develop a fall back shot which I know will allow me to find the fairway in pressure situations, or when the pull hook with driver turns up outta now where.

#28 toddnt

toddnt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8488
GolfWRX Likes : 812

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:48 PM

Light a stogie.

#29 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,073 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 251

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:39 PM

When I am hitting it sideways. I tee the ball up off my front foot and just let er rip. It gets me unstuck and I can go back to my normal swing. Kind of weird. But, it works.

#30 Jasonic

Jasonic

Gamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 277815
  • Handicap:7.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1837

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:13 PM

Swing oil - beer.

Actually this thread helped me today. I've been struggling with the shanks for years and finally have gotten it sorted but every so once in a while it popped up on a full iron and happened at range today. Normally I would get tense and freaking out internally and ruin my session but per above, laughed it off and just went back to hitting relaxed, solid shots. A pleasure.

Cobra f7+ 9.5*- Flowerband OG WB 73x
Cobra f7 3/4 wood - 14.5* - Flowerband OG WB 83x
Srixon u45 DI - 20* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Srixon z945 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
TaylorMade Spider Limited Red
KSig or Snell MTB :)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Also tagged with sad

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors