Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Process to get knicks and dings out of a Cameron putter?

36 replies to this topic

#1 KendallCat

KendallCat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38886
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:23 PM

For those that have had a putter restored how bad of a ding or knick can Cermon or BOS take out of a putter and what is the process? I received my Cameron Newport II Pro Platinum today, and it is nice except for a ding below the "C" in Cameron on the bottom and one towards the heel. How do these companies take the dings out, and if anyone has any before and after photos of a restored putter it would be great to see them.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 mkerns12

mkerns12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35755

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

Sorry a few of the photos are blurry but you can see the top pic has dings along the topline and the other pics show the restore! hope this helps!  This was done by BOS and i highly recommend them!

#3 golfluvzme

golfluvzme

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 937
  • Ebay ID:golfluvzme
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:39 PM

Here are some pics of a Mizuno M400 that the Studio did for me, a couple of years ago.  It looked pretty ragged going in, but like a show piece when it got home.   I never weighed it, before or after.  I am guessing that it lost some weight at the spa, but it probably won't see grass, again, so who is the wiser.
Enjoy,
LaMont in AZ

#4 KendallCat

KendallCat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:03 PM

Guys - these are great photos and help out a lot. The putter I just received has a couple of knicks in it, and after looking at the before and after photos I am definitely going to get mine done. I paid a little over $100 for Newport 2 Platinum, and I will post some pics of before and after once I get it done. I have heard of BOS, and if anyone has a contact for them and some prices it would be appreciated. Thank you again for the help.

#5 drgolfaholic

drgolfaholic

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24493
  • Handicap:2.6
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:33 PM

http://www.blackoxideservice.com/

It's cheaper if you send in 3 at a time.  They are awesome.

BBA - Kuro Kage Proto Tini 60x
BB 3W - Fubuki Zt 70x
G25 - 20* - NV 85S
Miura Forged Blades - DG TI X100 ssx1
Vokey TVD 52-56-60 DGS400
Lajosi DD201 303SS 34/350 Tour Lock Pro

#6 KendallCat

KendallCat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:33 AM

I called BOS today, and all of the comments about their customer service were confirmed today during my phone call. Talk about outstanding customer service and help. If you want to talk to a company that is so ridiculousbly helpful, offered great suggestions, and basically bent over backwards to help a newbie get answers about getting a putter done this is it. I am sending a Newport 2 Pro Platinum to them in a week or so, and I am either going to do it in the triple nickel or possibly black pearl frosted or gun metal blue.

#7 wilo

wilo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29653

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:33 AM

do these deal with people from the UK?

#8 jick

jick

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1957
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:53 AM

The only way to remove dings and scratches would be to buff or even grind them off. This would mean weight loss.

I remember a while back, Cameron did some restoration to Brad Faxon's putters.  After all was said and done, he added some lead tape on the head to give Faxon back the same swingweight he was accustomed to.

So a Cameron with all those dings and scratches would definitely lose some weight if those things are removed through buffing.

If you send it to the Custom Shop, all the dings and scratches will be removed and you will lose some headweight.  Unfortunately, you are no Brad Faxon so you will get your putter much lighter and Cameron won't really be putting leadtape on your putter to make up for the lost weight like he did for Fax.

So in short, buffing is the way to remove nicks and scratches, but always be careful about the weight loss.  It is better to weight your putter before you send it in, so even if they won't fix it for you, your local clubmaker can put the putter back to regular weight after you send it to any "putter spa" you want.

#9 handmadeaddicted

handmadeaddicted

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7120
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:03 PM

Ummmm wrong he didnt add the lead tape he put new lead tape on it it alredy had lead tape on it.

#10 maddev

maddev

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25159

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:51 AM

I have had a total of 4 putters done at BOS - simply stated, they do very good work.  I would not hesitate to use them again.  I will see if I can add pics.

Edited by maddev, 08 December 2007 - 12:52 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 teamarctic

teamarctic

Chicks dig the long ball!!

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30415
  • Ebay ID:-bsimon2008
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:00 AM

here is my pro platinum that i had redone at the custom shop, by the pictures you can see it was pretty ruffed up (bought it this way)

#12 sharkhark

sharkhark

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18121
  • Ebay ID:sharkhark
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:12 AM

KendallCat, on Dec 4 2007, 01:33 AM, said:

I called BOS today, and all of the comments about their customer service were confirmed today during my phone call. Talk about outstanding customer service and help. If you want to talk to a company that is so ridiculousbly helpful, offered great suggestions, and basically bent over backwards to help a newbie get answers about getting a putter done this is it. I am sending a Newport 2 Pro Platinum to them in a week or so, and I am either going to do it in the triple nickel or possibly black pearl frosted or gun metal blue.

I am confused. I was curious at this restoration and on the link page it says only color they do is black oxide but you say you are getting a nickel or pearl or gun metal finish? Could you explain, sorry if I missed something obvious.

#13 rgjusa

rgjusa

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8553

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:20 AM

This is a restoration project that I am undertaking on a cheapy I picked up on GolfWRX ages ago:

BEFORE:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DURING:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

AFTER-ISH:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It's after-ish as I have changed my mind on the finish so will strip it off and start again, and other work is getting in the way. Uses the same process as repainting driver heads. Tests so far seem to indicate that it is extremely durable but you must use a headcover otherwise it will get dinged up.

#14 VAgolfer

VAgolfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5402

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:01 PM

how much weight did you lose?

#15 rgjusa

rgjusa

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8553

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:14 AM

VAgolfer, on Dec 11 2007, 02:01 AM, said:

The putter lost 8g. I, unfortunately, lost no weight  :)

#16 boswellfishing

boswellfishing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32269

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:26 AM

What grade sandpaper did you use?  What did you buff with?  Thanks.

#17 Fore_Man

Fore_Man

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68672
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

holy smokes!  nice work!  I have that same putter, it's used too but in far better condition.  I way thinking about having it refinished, but i am too cheap! lol

#18 Hansch99

Hansch99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52240
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:01 PM

rgjusa, on Dec 13 2007, 03:14 AM, said:

VAgolfer, on Dec 11 2007, 02:01 AM, said:

The putter lost 8g. I, unfortunately, lost no weight :rolleyes:

That sounds like a lot, but I suppose much of it was attributable to taking off the nickel plating.

#19 PaulN

PaulN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65459

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:03 PM

You know, in the car restoration business, specifically metal plating, dings and dents are sometimes filled in with other metals instead of grinding them down. Filling in a ding or big gash with solder would work without getting out the grinder. This is especially popular when restoring metal bumpers that will later be crhome plated. Of course its more work than just grinding down the part, and you must plate, paint, or otherwise cover the part during the process so everything looks nice when its done.

This might be a useful way of restoring a putter without removing a bunch of weight. Come to think of it, you could even use this process to add weight.

#20 Big A HG

Big A HG

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55991
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:09 PM

I've never done a putter, but I have used sandpaper to some wedges.  I start with 400 grit for heavier removal, and finish with 60 grit to polish it up.  I can get almost all dings out doing it that way with minimal weight loss.  I'm sure it would work for putters as well.  I've never done it to anything plated though.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 longbal30

longbal30

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41632
  • Ebay ID:longbal30
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

Big A HG, on Dec 4 2008, 03:09 PM, said:

I've never done a putter, but I have used sandpaper to some wedges. I start with 400 grit for heavier removal, and finish with 60 grit to polish it up. I can get almost all dings out doing it that way with minimal weight loss. I'm sure it would work for putters as well. I've never done it to anything plated though.

I think you have the grits reversed. I work with wood, auto paint and metal and you would definately use the 60 for removal and 400 for polish. :)

#22 barkleybuff

barkleybuff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44491

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:52 PM

Did you remove the Nickel Plating prior to your sanding work or did the sanding take the plating off to where you could add the black finish?

#23 Cameron009

Cameron009

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102902
  • Ebay ID:rkfdast13

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

Posted ImageMy catalina 2 project,first gun blue project also

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00277-20100309-2155.jpg
  • IMG00183-20100214-2051.jpg
  • IMG00165-20100210-2030.jpg

#24 hebron1427

hebron1427

Older. Slower. Weaker. AtlJeff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114354
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:25 PM

Seems like there should be some way to heat it up or something to get dings out. It's really discouraging that you would have to lose weight in order to get it "restored." What kind of resto doesn't actually put your putter back into its original condition?

The interetsing thing is, your putter doesn't lose and metal when it gets dinged. All that happens is that the metal gets compressed. I know you're not going to re-cast a block of GSS, but would you be able to address the issues without sandpaper/buffing?

#25 tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116652
  • Handicap:4.3
GolfWRX Likes : 309

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:41 PM

Nice Work.  I keep seeing those putters similar to yours and ask myself, "what have those people been doing, driving nails with that putter?"  I am currently restoring a couple and for gamers found that I can use sand paper or steel wool to remove minor stuff.  I wonder if most people would notice the weight change in buffing a few deep scratches.  If I wanted a collector, I would send it to the "spa" for Scotty to refurbish, but then I wouldn't want to play with it.  Anyway, what is your final finish and how did you achieve it?

rgjusa, on 10 December 2007 - 03:20 AM, said:

This is a restoration project that I am undertaking on a cheapy I picked up on GolfWRX ages ago:

BEFORE:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DURING:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

AFTER-ISH:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It's after-ish as I have changed my mind on the finish so will strip it off and start again, and other work is getting in the way. Uses the same process as repainting driver heads. Tests so far seem to indicate that it is extremely durable but you must use a headcover otherwise it will get dinged up.

#26 avgjoe

avgjoe

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87610
GolfWRX Likes : 210

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:05 PM

how much weight comes off when you do something like that?

#27 beartp515

beartp515

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8453

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

heres what i need to know. what the hell is the best way to clean up/sand the cavity in the back? this is driving me nuts on a project that i am working on. please help me!! thanks

#28 WichitaDuffer

WichitaDuffer

Just a duffer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102020

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:48 AM

beartp515, on 26 October 2010 - 07:19 PM, said:

heres what i need to know. what the hell is the best way to clean up/sand the cavity in the back? this is driving me nuts on a project that i am working on. please help me!! thanks

If your doing it yourself, a dremel with an ultra fine sanding bit and a steady hand. If your not opposed to taking it somewhere, hit up a metal fab shop with a media blast cabinet.

#29 Bomber7

Bomber7

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95538
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:35 AM

what Black Oxide finish did you use because that pro plat looked really good.

#30 SergioKSU

SergioKSU

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58585
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:09 PM

Bomber7, on 07 June 2011 - 11:35 AM, said:

what Black Oxide finish did you use because that pro plat looked really good.

From the way I understood it he use paint the second time around.  With the finish stripped on a PP you can use hot bluing just like any other carbon steel head.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors