Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Ever played with a touring pro?

190 replies to this topic

#181 golfnut1964

golfnut1964

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 342317
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:59 PM

"Everyone has their own way of doing it successfully.  But one thing stands out in the best - They are supremely confident in their abilities. There is no doubt in their minds at all.  None.  They know they have the game, they know they belong, and they are surprised when they don't play well."

If anyone is going to take just one thing from this thread to help with their game-this is it. thank you oliver klozoff.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#182 Lacey Underall

Lacey Underall

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217605
  • Ebay ID:dcw3672
GolfWRX Likes : 491

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

I played or caddied for a bunch of guys:  Zach Johnson, Justin Leonard, D.A. Weibring, Fred Funk, D.A. Points, Charlie Rhymer.

But my favorite experience was playing with a bunch of the girls down in Daytona right before the LPGA Q-school.  I was on vacation by myself at LPGA International and all of the girls were playing practice rounds.  After a few days all of the starters knew me pretty well.  So one day I stroll up to the first tee and ask Sam the starter "who ya got for me today?"

First he introduces me to some little hottie that was a 3 time all Big Ten player at Wisconsin (sorry cannot remember her name).  Next up was this tiny little Japanese girl who didn't speak much English.  I started chatting with her caddie and he goes "yeah she is the #1 ranked amateur in the world right now."  The last girl to join walks right up to me and says "Hi, my name is Birdie."  (Birdie Kim 2005 US Open champion).  

That round was a ton of fun.  I was giving them all kinds of trash talk and they gave it right back to me.  I would hit it 50 yards past them from the back tees and then they would roll in a birdie putt and say "see that's why you are not on the men's tour!" I hit on the girl from Wisconsin pretty hard and she played along for most of the round.  Then on the 18th hole she says "you hit it pretty far but my boyfriend could beat you!"

Edited by Lacey Underall, 14 November 2017 - 04:08 PM.

2017 WITB
Driver:  Callaway FT Tour 10.5* - Aldila NV 75x
3 Wood:  Titleist 915F 15* - Shaft TBD
2-PW:   Callaway X-Prototype MBs - Project X 6.5 flighted
52* Wedge:   Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind
58* Wedge:   Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind
Putter:   Odyssey Sabertooth White Ice

#183 jacobEDGE

jacobEDGE

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 446572
  • Handicap:6.0
GolfWRX Likes : 394

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

I hit some balls in my backyard with Fuzzy and Daly.

#184 North Texas

North Texas

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103646
GolfWRX Likes : 1772

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:15 PM

View PostSheriffBooth, on 13 November 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

Thread's been cleaned up a bit.  Please keep it rated PG and don't bicker with each other.  Carry on.

SMDH that this thread had to be cleaned up.

How f...ing hard is it to carry on an actual civilized discussion? Jeez people, get over yourselves!

#185 mcs4

mcs4

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430806
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:46 AM

Closest I ever got was playing with a couple of college players when I was a kid due to a family connection. I don't remember their names, so I don't know how things turned out for them. The two main things I remember from that experience are:

(1) The enormous, squarish, spaceship heads on their matching Ping drivers, as this is back when driver head size was first exploding but no one I knew was dropping the money on them yet.

(2) Every full shot they both hit, including particularly their drives, had the same trajectory, which I'd never seen anything like at the time: The ball shot out cartoonishly low for most of the shot, then very quickly and steeply climbed to an apex toward the end, and finally dropped straight out of the air softly.

SLDR 430
Cobra AMP 4w
Mizuno MP-H4 3, 4 (sometimes comes out in favor of Bertha Mini Driver)
Titleist 716 CB 5-PW
Titleist 716 AP2 GW
Cleveland Tour Action 54, 58
TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy Red or old Titleist/Acushnet Bullseye

#186 Dave22

Dave22

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412324
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted Yesterday, 12:12 PM

This is a great thread that reminded me of some lucky rounds I had with some pros.

I won a regional tourney as a Junior and got to play in a Sr. CPGA Pro Am in 1988 as part of the prize.

I played ahead of Moe Norman who was paired with a friend behind me in the next group. I watched him hit balls on the range and as a dumb kid wondered how this guy with a weird swing was so special.

I used to hit it far back in the day and had one Par 5 that was so tight off the tee with a dogleg through the trees that I could barely keep my trusty 4 wood in the fairway. I cut the corner and was around 290yds out from the tee. We started walking after I hit my second shot and a ball rolled between us and past us by 20-30 yds.  I looked back and we had no idea where the ball came from as we could not see the tee behind us.

Sure enough, Moe bent a low screamer around the corner with his driver and it followed the bend of the dogleg right down the middle of the fairway over 300yds. Unbelievable unless I saw it myself. I talked to my friend after to see what he shot and he said somewhere between 64 and 68 but hard to tell because he wouldn't wait to putt out sometimes with his impatience. The pro I was with shot 67 and said if Moe finished his rounds (without giving up because he was bored), no one would have a chance.

Looking back, that was way cooler now than at the time.
Driver:   M1 460 / Rogue Silver 125 60TX
3Wood: M1 / Speeder TS 757X
Hybrid: T-MB 3 / Steelfiber 110 X
Irons:    716 CB 4-pw / X100 TI
Wedges:  SM6 52F, 56F, 60S X100 TI, S400 x2
Putter: SC X5
Ball: Z star XV

#187 Imhappyinthe80s

Imhappyinthe80s

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 298940
  • Handicap:11.5
GolfWRX Likes : 217

Posted Yesterday, 01:57 PM

Played once with a fellow in the Pacific northwest. Short tight local course only about 6400.  I'm the last guy out, just walking and a fellow teams up with, a local. I didn't catch his name, but he had serious game.  He insisted we tee off behind the tips.  Really odd fellow had a ton of knowledge about foreign tours...latin America, Asian European.  Anyway guy shoots a 62 as we walk off 18 I look at his bag, all JDM clubs, no ferrules. I said my goodbyes and said I was sorry but I'm terrible with names. His reply, " Scott, the name is JonesScott"
Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19, 22 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 5-PW, AW 2 degrees flat
Cleveland CG16 52, 56 1 degree flat
Odyssey White Hot #9

#188 PKennedy13

PKennedy13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451412
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted Yesterday, 02:56 PM

I have played with Steve flesch many times. One time I was playing with him and he was -9 thru 12. Easily on pace for the course record. After he made a par on 13 he left to go play tennis with his wife

#189 Bholden52

Bholden52

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417064
  • Handicap:Beer
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted Today, 09:15 AM

I've played and caddied in a Pro Am quite a few times.  It's a good time if the players interact and relax but I totally understand their moods.  The pro-am is a stupid long round and sometimes in really hot weather.   Side note, I don't understand why the PGA won't let them wear shorts during practice and pro-am rounds.  

The story I like to share is back in 2015, Golf Beer Brewing had just come out.  You may remember, the beer brewed by Freddie Jacobsen, Graeme McDowell, and Keegan Bradley.  

We were playing with KJ Choi and were waiting at the 10th tee box, our 1st hole of the day.  As usual, the pro-am was backed up but Freddie was playing in the group in front of us.

So here I am standing next to Freddie and I turn and ask him "So Freddie, did you bring some of your beer to Texas?". He turns and says "Yeah man, you  want some?"  I of course said yes.  He then says "Ok, I'll call my wife and have her bring some out.  I'll leave one for you on the 9th hole." So I am excited and looking forward to trying this beer.

After 2.5 hours, we get to the 9th tee box (what is actually hole number 18) and there was no beer.  I was crushed and disappointed.  During the back 9, I was turning to KJ and his caddie (who is now caddying for Chez Reavie, I know this because I wont forget the huge head and long curly hair.  You can't miss him on TV) and telling them to call Freddie to complain. This was all in good fun of course.  We were having a good time.

So finally, we get to the 9th hole (again, our 18th hole) and we are hitting the 6 hour mark for the round.  The heat has added up and taken it's toll.  I am really ready for a beer.  I walk up the hill and I see this on the tee box (imagine it unopened).....

Attached Thumbnails

• GBB.JPG

#190 jah7838

jah7838

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76786
  • Ebay ID:jah7838
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted Today, 11:34 AM

I played with a guy who has qualified for a few PGA tour events, and it was impressive to watch.  Ball flight was the same on all irons, and his distance control was awesome as well.  Funniest moment of the day was on #9.  He gets up and hammers a soft baby draw around the corner on a dogleg, hops in the cart and goes to handle some business in the bathroom at the clubhouse.  My friend and I play out the hole, and as we're about to putt out, he comes back.  He proceeds to hop out the cart and stuff a wedge in there for a tap in par.  I also learned a lot that day about course management.  He just put himself in great position all day to attack pins or in the right spot on the green for an easy par.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#191 kylesilk

kylesilk

PXG & Yeti

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4886
GolfWRX Likes : 158

Posted Today, 01:00 PM

View Postjah7838, on 17 November 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

I played with a guy who has qualified for a few PGA tour events, and it was impressive to watch.  Ball flight was the same on all irons, and his distance control was awesome as well.  Funniest moment of the day was on #9.  He gets up and hammers a soft baby draw around the corner on a dogleg, hops in the cart and goes to handle some business in the bathroom at the clubhouse.  My friend and I play out the hole, and as we're about to putt out, he comes back.  He proceeds to hop out the cart and stuff a wedge in there for a tap in par.  I also learned a lot that day about course management.  He just put himself in great position all day to attack pins or in the right spot on the green for an easy par.

Dang....how long was that Par 3....lol
915  D3 Diamana D+ 70S
913f , 913h
712u 4 iron Pro Modus 120 S
714 CB 5,6,7...714 MB 8-P  ProModus 120S
Vokey TVD 52,60 M..TVD 56K
Studio Select Newport 1.5

10 user(s) are reading this topic

6 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

atbrook, Aaronwilson_95, massduffer, wildcatden, nmanoles3, PuttLeftHitRight

GolfWRX Sponsors