Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

FairwayFred's WITB Pic thread

152 replies to this topic

#151 FairwayFred

FairwayFred

Major Winner

• Sponsors
  • 3,352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149
GolfWRX Likes : 1543

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:24 AM

PeanutsDaddy, on 07 July 2018 - 06:46 PM, said:

Looks so clean with the paint fill stripped.  Amazed that I'm looking at a Carbon head given the even patina.  

Sent Patrick a probatory email yesterday regarding a short set of NCW irons.  Really intrigued by your paired playing lengths.  Would you be willing to comment on the thought process behind the decision and the results that you are seeing? How is ball flight and distance gapping.    Contemplating matching the lengths of my PW/9 and 8/7.  Also may add 6/5 iron.    Have always played variable length irons.  

The idea behind the pair lengths was to limit the number of "postures" I had to learn.  I believe it lessens one variable.  I got the idea from Bobby Jones 1930 grand slam winning set.  The ball flight and distance gapping is ideal when I got them I hit a bunch of balls on trackman and bent them to where I needed them to get the gaps I wanted.  Didn't have to change them much from my initial specs.  I'm extremely happy with them and am making another set w the same lengths.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
ari@nationalcustomworks.com
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#152 PeanutsDaddy

PeanutsDaddy

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133046
GolfWRX Likes : 22723

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:39 PM

FairwayFred, on 10 July 2018 - 10:24 AM, said:

PeanutsDaddy, on 07 July 2018 - 06:46 PM, said:

Looks so clean with the paint fill stripped.  Amazed that I'm looking at a Carbon head given the even patina.  

Sent Patrick a probatory email yesterday regarding a short set of NCW irons.  Really intrigued by your paired playing lengths.  Would you be willing to comment on the thought process behind the decision and the results that you are seeing? How is ball flight and distance gapping. Contemplating matching the lengths of my PW/9 and 8/7.  Also may add 6/5 iron. Have always played variable length irons.  

The idea behind the pair lengths was to limit the number of "postures" I had to learn.  I believe it lessens one variable.  I got the idea from Bobby Jones 1930 grand slam winning set.  The ball flight and distance gapping is ideal when I got them I hit a bunch of balls on trackman and bent them to where I needed them to get the gaps I wanted.  Didn't have to change them much from my initial specs.  I'm extremely happy with them and am making another set w the same lengths.

I'm so intrigued by the concept, but have only carried variable length sets.   Part of me is scared to deviate from what I already know.   Much to think about with a truly custom set of clubs.  

I missed the boat with Scratch, want to be a passenger this time aroud.
Cobra King F7 9*
Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)
Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)
Wishon 775hs 3 - 5
Wishon 560 - 6 - 7
Wishon 575mmc 8 - PW
Mac Custom Grind GW + LW (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

#153 Wardonation

Wardonation

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107035
  • Handicap:+2.8
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted Yesterday, 04:34 PM

FairwayFred, on 23 April 2018 - 05:15 PM, said:

ianraybon, on 20 April 2018 - 07:52 AM, said:

Wardonation, on 18 April 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

Be carful of "neck weight"... I had Raybon make me a #7 with plumbers neck and it was awesome. But sweet spot was way towards the heel and could not get my launch right with it.

Appreciate the feedback Jeff, definitely something i will look into, or bear in mind, when combining that head/hosel. But, i must ask..  was this before, or after an employee at a Taylormade Fitting Centre bent it every which way possible? - it arrived back with us with the lie angle altered by 3° and negative 2° loft :dntknw:

I've said it before on this forum, Wardo was absolutely the worst customer we ever dealt with in 13+ years of Scratch Golf.  After a while literally all of my employees refused to work with him anymore.  So much so that we have refused to work with him on project through NCW.  I won't even get into it any further but I was surprised to see him post in my WITB thread and benefit of the doubt goes to Ian Raybon here 100% based on what I've seen of his craftsmanship and what I know about Wardo.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming....
? I sent my Scratch head to you to make me another one just like it. It was and still is the best wedge I have ever had. A matter of fact I have purchased 8 Scratch wedges and two sets of irons with no issues. The problem was you could not match your own stock grind. I do appreciate how you guys tried three times for me but were never even close. It did not suprise me that Scratch failed at all.. No clean business plan you tried changing business model 3 times? Anyways, if that made me a horrible customer so be it...

4 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

ianraybon, WillyE

GolfWRX Sponsors