Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Idea, proposal, alternate use for golf course


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ne26

ne26

    Leaving footprints in the dew

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173890
  • Joined: 04/09/2012
  • Location:Hamilton, Ma
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:06 PM

First I'm not sure if this should be here or 19th hole so sorry in advance if it's in the wrong forum.

Anyways, I live in a small town that shares/combines everything with the small town next door. I recently found out that a golf course is going to close in the town next door and they will be having meeting about the land as the town has first right of refusal on the property.

It's a shame the course is closing as it's usually busy and it's a public, accepts all types, golf course. Anyways, it's right next to another course so there really is no reason for it anymore.

Per usual developers are already circling, ready to stuff some homes in the space. It is a great location so who can blame them. But, these two towns value open/natural/park space, so I thought about going to the meeting over the property. If they let the property be sold, they collect all the back taxes. However, having the town buy it is on the table.

So here's my idea. What do you all think of having it changed to a footgolf, disc golf, walking trails and in the winter a place for cross country skiing (ski shop across the street)? I think it's a perfect fit for it and would take minimum modification of the existing property for it to work.

I'm sure I would need to research some stuff for the idea to be taken seriously. Any suggestions on where to start? Anyone on there own town boards and have tips?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 bk52

bk52

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 283904
  • Joined: 11/12/2013
  • Location:SE Michigan
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 701

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

A nine hole course?  Yes, dog parks, disc golf, foot golf, jogging trails, cross country skiing, etc ...

18 holes and there is too much property to dedicate everything to an alternate use.  Let the developers have some and make them support the alternate uses of the rest.

Edited by bk52, 12 December 2015 - 04:29 PM.


2

#3 ne26

ne26

    Leaving footprints in the dew

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173890
  • Joined: 04/09/2012
  • Location:Hamilton, Ma
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:09 PM

Yes, short nine hole course. Around 2100 yards I believe.

3

#4 OUZO Power

OUZO Power

    #CallaWRX2

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207419
  • Joined: 10/16/2012
  • Location:Brooklin, Ontario
GolfWRX Likes : 650

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:15 PM

As a developer. You know my answer. Lol
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Hybrid: Callaway RAZR X Tour 3H
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

4

#5 ne26

ne26

    Leaving footprints in the dew

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173890
  • Joined: 04/09/2012
  • Location:Hamilton, Ma
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:03 PM

View PostOUZO Power, on 12 December 2015 - 09:15 PM, said:

As a developer. You know my answer. Lol
Haha. It is a good spot for residential development. It's also zoned residential/commercial so tons of options I'm sure. Across from a lake, bordered by a cemetery, country club and neighborhood.

It's not like I would be offended if it ended up developed, just thought it would be a cool space to keep for public use.

The two towns are pretty big into open space. This is considered "country" up here ( not to me though because I'm originally from Kentucky).

Thought maybe someone had experience with making a proposal at a town meeting or something.

Edited by ne26, 12 December 2015 - 10:06 PM.


5

#6 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209355
  • Joined: 10/30/2012
  • Location:Cocoa Beach, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 1904

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

I tend to think that if you have problems with getting the demand to meet what you need for the golf course to be financially successful, turning it into something else that is golf related really isn't solving the issue.  And eventually that will fall apart as well.  So to me, the question is how to create more demand.  Perhaps you can only increase demand by a small amount, but that is enough to turn it into a foot golf/disc golf/walking trail area, etc.  

I would have to question how one will get enough money for those ventures as well and how profitable those ventures would be.





RH

6

#7 farmer

farmer

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
  • Joined: 12/02/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 2222

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:01 PM

According to Wiki, you're in a horse heavy area, a safe place for recreational riding seems ideal.

7

#8 ne26

ne26

    Leaving footprints in the dew

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173890
  • Joined: 04/09/2012
  • Location:Hamilton, Ma
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:14 PM

View PostRichieHunt, on 13 December 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

I tend to think that if you have problems with getting the demand to meet what you need for the golf course to be financially successful, turning it into something else that is golf related really isn't solving the issue.  And eventually that will fall apart as well.  So to me, the question is how to create more demand.  Perhaps you can only increase demand by a small amount, but that is enough to turn it into a foot golf/disc golf/walking trail area, etc.  

I would have to question how one will get enough money for those ventures as well and how profitable those ventures would be.





RH

I actually don't know that it was strictly a money issue. The owner is retiring I believe. It was passed down in the family. The place is rather busy most of the time. But I don't know the guy so I will never know the "why".

There isn't a practice area and no room to improve as a golf facility. I guess it was just a matter of time.

Money is always an issue with a town but these two towns do well with parks etc. although they just approved a 2 million dollar pool area, so that probably zapped a lot of the available funds.

8

#9 ne26

ne26

    Leaving footprints in the dew

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173890
  • Joined: 04/09/2012
  • Location:Hamilton, Ma
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:20 PM

View Postfarmer, on 13 December 2015 - 04:01 PM, said:

According to Wiki, you're in a horse heavy area, a safe place for recreational riding seems ideal.
Horse heavy indeed for up here.

There is actually a large riding area across from Myopia (would LOVE to get a chance to play that course) and lots of horse friendly trails available.

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced the town will let it be sold, collect back taxes and a neighbor hood will pop up. There is a demand for housing here and there was just a huge push to get support of purchasing several hundred acres to keep it from being developed. This little plot in comparison will probably be let go.

9

#10 BrianL99

BrianL99

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,054 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Joined: 01/20/2012
  • Location:Concord, MA & Spring Hill, FL
  • Handicap:IRL
GolfWRX Likes : 3142

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:52 PM

Hamilton, MA has golf course, other than Myopia?


For you guys commenting, you should look up the golf courses in this area ... staggering!

Myopia Hunt Club is one of the world's 100 Greatest and the site of 4 U.S. Opens, site of the oldest "Polo Grounds" in the USA and still still have "Fox Hunts".  The value of the horses that are kept there, are staggering.  If I could only play one golf course for the rest of my life, it would be Myopia Hunt Club.

http://www.myopiahunt.org/

Within 15 minutes of Myopia, you can find Essex County Club. You have to see this, to believe it.  An original, Donald Ross beauty.

http://www.essexcc.o...25516&NS=PUBLIC


Added not to many years ago, was Turner Hill.  Stunning.  

http://www.turnerhil...s/Home/home.asp


To the O.P.  I'm guessing the land was placed in Chapter 61A protection, which means the town has a right of first refusal.   There's no shortage of money in that area and a strong desire to protect land from development.  I doubt "frisbee golf" or anything like that, is likely to happen ... much too blue collar and pedestrian for Hamilton.

Edited by BrianL99, 13 December 2015 - 06:53 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 farmer

farmer

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
  • Joined: 12/02/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 2222

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:37 PM

Wiki failed to mention this is an old money area.  Pretty, but Essex is so exclusive they don't even post pics of the course.

11

#12 ne26

ne26

    Leaving footprints in the dew

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173890
  • Joined: 04/09/2012
  • Location:Hamilton, Ma
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:42 PM

View PostBrianL99, on 13 December 2015 - 06:52 PM, said:

Hamilton, MA has golf course, other than Myopia?


For you guys commenting, you should look up the golf courses in this area ... staggering!

Myopia Hunt Club is one of the world's 100 Greatest and the site of 4 U.S. Opens, site of the oldest "Polo Grounds" in the USA and still still have "Fox Hunts".  The value of the horses that are kept there, are staggering.  If I could only play one golf course for the rest of my life, it would be Myopia Hunt Club.

http://www.myopiahunt.org/

Within 15 minutes of Myopia, you can find Essex County Club. You have to see this, to believe it.  An original, Donald Ross beauty.

http://www.essexcc.o...25516&NS=PUBLIC


Added not to many years ago, was Turner Hill.  Stunning.  

http://www.turnerhil...s/Home/home.asp


To the O.P.  I'm guessing the land was placed in Chapter 61A protection, which means the town has a right of first refusal.   There's no shortage of money in that area and a strong desire to protect land from development.  I doubt "frisbee golf" or anything like that, is likely to happen ... much too blue collar and pedestrian for Hamilton.
All great info.

I've only been living here in Hamilton for 3 years now. Nice area, just wish I knew the right people to get on Myopia. Talk about a bucket list course for me.

We go enjoy the polo matches each weekend during the summer. The Jaguar/Land Rover sponsored tailgate a couple of years ago was crazy. Champagne and caviar for tailgating? Yes sir!

We keep missing the fox hunt, but routinely see them training the dogs. Watching a pack of dogs use the crosswalk is hilarious.

This course I'm talking about is next door in Wenham. Things to get viewed as one since the town shares schools, split costs for parks etc.

http://m.hamilton.wi.../NEWS/151116118

And you are right, probably too pedestrian for around here. I'm still adjusting to living around here and New England in general. Grew up in a not so well off small town in KY. Slightly different up here haha.

Now to make the connections to play the beautiful courses in my backyard. It's torture driving by them constantly.


My fiancÚ and I are in Nantucket a lot too. Would love to play Nantucket Golf Club. Actually met someone who gives lessons there over the summer, but no way I was going to ask to be a guest. Wrong place to ask.

Edited by ne26, 13 December 2015 - 07:51 PM.


12

#13 BrianL99

BrianL99

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,054 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Joined: 01/20/2012
  • Location:Concord, MA & Spring Hill, FL
  • Handicap:IRL
GolfWRX Likes : 3142

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:22 PM

View Postne26, on 13 December 2015 - 07:42 PM, said:

View PostBrianL99, on 13 December 2015 - 06:52 PM, said:

Hamilton, MA has golf course, other than Myopia?


For you guys commenting, you should look up the golf courses in this area ... staggering!

Myopia Hunt Club is one of the world's 100 Greatest and the site of 4 U.S. Opens, site of the oldest "Polo Grounds" in the USA and still still have "Fox Hunts".  The value of the horses that are kept there, are staggering.  If I could only play one golf course for the rest of my life, it would be Myopia Hunt Club.

http://www.myopiahunt.org/

Within 15 minutes of Myopia, you can find Essex County Club. You have to see this, to believe it.  An original, Donald Ross beauty.

http://www.essexcc.o...25516&NS=PUBLIC


Added not to many years ago, was Turner Hill.  Stunning.  

http://www.turnerhil...s/Home/home.asp


To the O.P.  I'm guessing the land was placed in Chapter 61A protection, which means the town has a right of first refusal.   There's no shortage of money in that area and a strong desire to protect land from development.  I doubt "frisbee golf" or anything like that, is likely to happen ... much too blue collar and pedestrian for Hamilton.
All great info.

I've only been living here in Hamilton for 3 years now. Nice area, just wish I knew the right people to get on Myopia. Talk about a bucket list course for me.

We go enjoy the polo matches each weekend during the summer. The Jaguar/Land Rover sponsored tailgate a couple of years ago was crazy. Champagne and caviar for tailgating? Yes sir!

We keep missing the fox hunt, but routinely see them training the dogs. Watching a pack of dogs use the crosswalk is hilarious.

This course I'm talking about is next door in Wenham. Things to get viewed as one since the town shares schools, split costs for parks etc.

http://m.hamilton.wi.../NEWS/151116118

And you are right, probably too pedestrian for around here. I'm still adjusting to living around here and New England in general. Grew up in a not so well off small town in KY. Slightly different up here haha.

Now to make the connections to play the beautiful courses in my backyard. It's torture driving by them constantly.


My fiancé and I are in Nantucket a lot too. Would love to play Nantucket Golf Club. Actually met someone who gives lessons there over the summer, but no way I was going to ask to be a guest. Wrong place to ask.

All great golf courses, but tough to get on.   I've played all of them, but Myopia will always be #1.

13

#14 mdgboxx

mdgboxx

    Put lipstick on a pig - - - it's still a pig

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,777 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61336
  • Joined: 07/24/2008
  • Location:Brossard
GolfWRX Likes : 8093

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:17 PM

View Postne26, on 13 December 2015 - 06:14 PM, said:

View PostRichieHunt, on 13 December 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

I tend to think that if you have problems with getting the demand to meet what you need for the golf course to be financially successful, turning it into something else that is golf related really isn't solving the issue.  And eventually that will fall apart as well.  So to me, the question is how to create more demand.  Perhaps you can only increase demand by a small amount, but that is enough to turn it into a foot golf/disc golf/walking trail area, etc.  

I would have to question how one will get enough money for those ventures as well and how profitable those ventures would be.





RH

I actually don't know that it was strictly a money issue. The owner is retiring I believe. It was passed down in the family. The place is rather busy most of the time. But I don't know the guy so I will never know the "why".

There isn't a practice area and no room to improve as a golf facility. I guess it was just a matter of time.

Money is always an issue with a town but these two towns do well with parks etc. although they just approved a 2 million dollar pool area, so that probably zapped a lot of the available funds.

Just to give you an idea.

http://www.google.ca...109910813,d.eWE

The Golf L'Express in Laprairie, QC, is an 11 hole par 3/4 course,  a ~350 spots driving range (in a ±350 yds circle. Balls are hit towards the middle, very few balls lost. Much easier to pick up) along with the most elaborate practice area in Canada.  

The practice area is by the hour with unlimited balls. The driving range is by the bucket, obviously.

Edited by mdgboxx, 13 November 2016 - 12:15 AM.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2,
Red Dot
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts

BALL: Srixon XV  
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

14

#15 ne26

ne26

    Leaving footprints in the dew

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173890
  • Joined: 04/09/2012
  • Location:Hamilton, Ma
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:20 PM

Amazing, had to be great to play them all.

Not to derail my own thread, but what makes Myopia #1 for you?


15



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors