Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf Digest Raters

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 adamjstl

adamjstl

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120792
  • Handicap:2.6
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:14 PM

Is anyone on the forum a course rater with Golf Digest? Or know anyone who is or has been a panelist with them? Please pm with any information- thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 TheDailyDuffer

TheDailyDuffer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 374759
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:07 PM

I assume this is another thread about you spamming the forum to gain access to top private clubs, just like your "Help me get on Oakmont" and "Tell me how to play top 100 courses" threads.  While it commendable that you want to play great courses continually posting here expecting random people on the internet to help you just because you decided that you are on a "top 100 quest" isn't the way to go about it.  Id normally hold my tongue, but this is the third post about the same thing, and it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Edited by TheDailyDuffer, 24 November 2015 - 05:08 PM.

#3 vallygolf

vallygolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366851
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:21 PM

I live in Arizona so I dont know any of these individuals.  If you want to find them go to New York, or the Midwest or any course that is has no hint of civilization.  That is basically the criteria for being ranked in the top 100........ Yes I think it is total BS that there are no golf courses ranked in the top 100 you can play from one of the most public friendly high end golf destinations in the world.  Their disdain for desert golf is palpable. #43 on their list wouldnt beat out my top 10 public here in Arizona.   So go ahead and seek out these people, just dont expect a conversation based in reality:)

#4 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
  • Handicap:+2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 358

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:55 PM

Raters are the worst kind of people.

#5 adamjstl

adamjstl

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120792
  • Handicap:2.6
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:03 PM

No reason to be hateful, guys. I simply asked a question.

#6 Townes

Townes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 250372
  • Handicap:5.4
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:19 PM

View Postkg92lefty, on 24 November 2015 - 06:55 PM, said:

Why?

Honestly interested, don't know any myself.
915 D3 8.5
915F 15
915HD 17.5
J15CB 4-PW
X forged 49, 54, 59
California Del Mar

#7 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
  • Handicap:+2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 358

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:21 PM

View PostTownes, on 24 November 2015 - 10:19 PM, said:

View Postkg92lefty, on 24 November 2015 - 06:55 PM, said:

Why?

Honestly interested, don't know any myself.

Give best reviews to courses that kiss their butt the most not the actual best. Plus the ones I've met think they are all that.

#8 fore_life

fore_life

Swung too hard, hit it too pure.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59484
  • Handicap:40
GolfWRX Likes : 1993

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:32 PM

View Postvallygolf, on 24 November 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

I live in Arizona so I dont know any of these individuals.  If you want to find them go to New York, or the Midwest or any course that is has no hint of civilization.  That is basically the criteria for being ranked in the top 100........ Yes I think it is total BS that there are no golf courses ranked in the top 100 you can play from one of the most public friendly high end golf destinations in the world.  Their disdain for desert golf is palpable. #43 on their list wouldnt beat out my top 10 public here in Arizona.   So go ahead and seek out these people, just dont expect a conversation based in reality:)

I agree with them about desert golf.
Adams Fast 12 Ls Ust 90x elements
TEE cb 16.5 Kuro Kage 80x proto
Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
718 tmb 4 iron
718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
Vokeys
Odyssey 7ch

Various other putters currently in the closet,
thinking about what they’ve done wrong,
and how they’ve hurt me so.

#9 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:16 PM

View Postfore_life, on 24 November 2015 - 10:32 PM, said:

I agree with them about desert golf.
To balance you out, I couldn't disagree more. The only type of courses I find superior to desert courses are true links courses but even with that I find all to have their merits.

After playing all over the world I think the courses here are absolutely some of the best out there. If anything my love and respect for the courses here has grown as my experience of playing elsewhere has increased.

#10 Philly Golf Guy

Philly Golf Guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209791
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:21 PM

I have golfed with GD panelists before.  There is a short application you fill out and a wait list of at least a few years, and you must be well connected to have any shot at actually getting accepted.  Like, you're a lobbyist, golf course designer, etc.  If you're a rater, it's not as easy as calling up some of the exclusive clubs and asking for a tee time because you are a rater.  

That's about all I know.  

If you're interested in playing some of the top private courses out there, I believe the guy who played the top 100 in the world without any private club affiliation is putting out a book on how he got on every course.  After reading that he played at Augusta during the Masters practice round with a former champion, I will be getting the book just for the stories!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Fbgstaff

Fbgstaff

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379462
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:50 AM

View PostPhilly Golf Guy, on 06 December 2015 - 11:21 PM, said:

I have golfed with GD panelists before.  There is a short application you fill out and a wait list of at least a few years, and you must be well connected to have any shot at actually getting accepted.  Like, you're a lobbyist, golf course designer, etc.  If you're a rater, it's not as easy as calling up some of the exclusive clubs and asking for a tee time because you are a rater.  

That's about all I know.  

If you're interested in playing some of the top private courses out there, I believe the guy who played the top 100 in the world without any private club affiliation is putting out a book on how he got on every course.  After reading that he played at Augusta during the Masters practice round with a former champion, I will be getting the book just for the stories!
Sounds like something I would like to read. Do you know name of author or name of book?

#12 DoubleorQuits

DoubleorQuits

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348651

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:37 PM

John Sabino

#13 Fbgstaff

Fbgstaff

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379462

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:09 PM

Thanks have it saved now?

#14 lov2golf4

lov2golf4

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226311
  • Handicap:7.9
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:45 AM

View PostFbgstaff, on 07 December 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

Thanks have it saved now?

Looks like we will have to wait a while for it.  Here's what I looked up on the internet, http://r.search.yaho...BuUCtf0rPR9lrE-

Edited by lov2golf4, 08 December 2015 - 09:45 AM.

TM SLDR 9.5 Matrix 6Q3
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 3W, 3 Hybrid
TM Rocketballz Stage 1 4 Hybrid
Speedblade 5-AW-KBS 90
Rossa CGB Fontana
Titleist Vokey SM5 54 & 60

#15 DoubleorQuits

DoubleorQuits

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348651

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:20 AM

I believe the US release date is in April 2016.

#16 BrianL99

BrianL99

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156579
  • Handicap:IRL
GolfWRX Likes : 3242

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:27 AM

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/1634507991

#17 HoffTTM

HoffTTM

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130322
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 796

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:34 AM

Number 43 happens to be Bethpage Black, wouldn't mind knowing which 10 AZ publics are better than that.
Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

#18 italianstallion

italianstallion

Bethpage Black - 8th hole

• Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:54 AM

View PostHoffTTM, on 08 December 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

Number 43 happens to be Bethpage Black, wouldn't mind knowing which 10 AZ publics are better than that.

The defense rests.....
http://thefairwayreview.weebly.com/

#19 bhilk

bhilk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21893
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:20 PM

View Postitalianstallion, on 08 December 2015 - 11:54 AM, said:

The defense rests.....

While desert golf is a lot of fun I can name ten states that have better golf. New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, California, Michigan, Oregon, Nebraska, North and South Carolina, and Wisconsin. You could also put Illinois and massachusetts on that list. Desert golf falls more into a love it or hate it category when it comes to rankings. A lot of desert golf is very similar. It was all built in what is considered modern golf design. Complete lack of any golden age architect hurts desert golf. Plus a majority of the courses were built in a time when name architects were building over penal target golf. Also the turf restrictions hurt this so you tend to find a lot of narrow, one dimensional golf. Recent courses have bucked the trend like Coore and crenshaws work at talking stick and we ko pa. You see a lot of variety at these two. If you enjoy this kind of golf I could see how Arizona is your favorite. That's the great thing about golf. We can all have our favorites. Lists are made to create talk such as this. Bethpage may not be for you. It is a very difficult golf course. The amazing thing about New York is there might be ten better courses on Long Island! Courses like Shinnecock, National, Friars Head, Maidstone, Garden City, Sebonack, Piping Rock, St. georges, Fishers, and  the creek. Those ten alone smoke Arizona golf. Even when you get to states like Michigan I would rather play Crystal Downs, Greywalls, Kingsley, Dunes Club, Lost Dunes, Oakland Hills, Orchard Lake, Arcadia, and Franklin Hills before I would play We Ko Pa. Arizona has great golf but can not offer the variety that these states offer. Arizona has a bunch of really good golf but when you start talking amazing golf like top 100 it falls short.

#20 WiscoGolfAddict

WiscoGolfAddict

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 392506
  • Handicap:9.0
  • Ebay ID:pseifs
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:33 PM

View Postbhilk, on 08 December 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

The defense rests.....

While desert golf is a lot of fun I can name ten states that have better golf. New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, California, Michigan, Oregon, Nebraska, North and South Carolina, and Wisconsin. You could also put Illinois and massachusetts on that list. Desert golf falls more into a love it or hate it category when it comes to rankings. A lot of desert golf is very similar. It was all built in what is considered modern golf design. Complete lack of any golden age architect hurts desert golf. Plus a majority of the courses were built in a time when name architects were building over penal target golf. Also the turf restrictions hurt this so you tend to find a lot of narrow, one dimensional golf. Recent courses have bucked the trend like Coore and crenshaws work at talking stick and we ko pa. You see a lot of variety at these two. If you enjoy this kind of golf I could see how Arizona is your favorite. That's the great thing about golf. We can all have our favorites. Lists are made to create talk such as this. Bethpage may not be for you. It is a very difficult golf course. The amazing thing about New York is there might be ten better courses on Long Island! Courses like Shinnecock, National, Friars Head, Maidstone, Garden City, Sebonack, Piping Rock, St. georges, Fishers, and  the creek. Those ten alone smoke Arizona golf. Even when you get to states like Michigan I would rather play Crystal Downs, Greywalls, Kingsley, Dunes Club, Lost Dunes, Oakland Hills, Orchard Lake, Arcadia, and Franklin Hills before I would play We Ko Pa. Arizona has great golf but can not offer the variety that these states offer. Arizona has a bunch of really good golf but when you start talking amazing golf like top 100 it falls short.

I have not played any Desert golf courses, but am always told I'll love it. I really appreciate your take here, though - that's exactly what it is: Personal opinions. In my own best courses in the country rankings (link), I put the Dunes course at The Prairie Club in NE ahead of tons of courses that most people, including Golf Digest raters, would say are superior courses (Bandon Dunes, Old Macdonald, Bandon Trails, Streamsong Red and Blue, Chambers Bay, etc.). That's my opinion. I LOVE every single one of those courses I mentioned and they are all in the discussion of my all-time favorite course, but when you're talking the best of the best (which is what top 100 courses are), to me The Dunes course is almost as good as it gets! Pac Dunes is still a little higher, though, in my book :)

Good thread for the most part.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 vallygolf

vallygolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366851
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

The defense rests.....

Actually if you read my post it says 100 best you can play.  I am of the opinion that private golf ratings are useless and worthless.  #43 is the Dormie club in the Pinehurst area North Carolina.  I have played Bethpage Black, and had a great round at a fantastic course.  Having a different taste in golf we can debate its placement as #43 on the best of all courses in the US.  Desert golf is not universally loved, but it cannot be refuted that the design elements found in nearly all universally recognized masterpiece courses can be found in Arizona.  I also find it curious that many of the desert golf detractors cite "target golf" as a chief complaint, but in the same breath exclaim "they are all resort corses".  I recognize those are not mutually exclusive, but tight and tucked (target golf) doesnt fit with grip it and rip it (resort golf).  My conclusion then has to be bias.  I have played most of the great courses in this country (FYI i would play Crystal Downs again before WE Ko Pa as well).  You can like it or not, but to omit Arizona golf from the top 100 you can play is biased, and in my opinion nearly omitting desert golf all together is like omitting Pablo Picasso from art because of personal taste.  This is not an implication of other golf courses, just a factual bias by a should be authority on public golf.

#22 HoffTTM

HoffTTM

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130322
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 796

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:31 AM

View Postvallygolf, on 08 December 2015 - 06:19 PM, said:

The defense rests.....

Actually if you read my post it says 100 best you can play.  I am of the opinion that private golf ratings are useless and worthless.  #43 is the Dormie club in the Pinehurst area North Carolina.  I have played Bethpage Black, and had a great round at a fantastic course.  Having a different taste in golf we can debate its placement as #43 on the best of all courses in the US.  Desert golf is not universally loved, but it cannot be refuted that the design elements found in nearly all universally recognized masterpiece courses can be found in Arizona.  I also find it curious that many of the desert golf detractors cite "target golf" as a chief complaint, but in the same breath exclaim "they are all resort corses".  I recognize those are not mutually exclusive, but tight and tucked (target golf) doesnt fit with grip it and rip it (resort golf).  My conclusion then has to be bias.  I have played most of the great courses in this country (FYI i would play Crystal Downs again before WE Ko Pa as well).  You can like it or not, but to omit Arizona golf from the top 100 you can play is biased, and in my opinion nearly omitting desert golf all together is like omitting Pablo Picasso from art because of personal taste.  This is not an implication of other golf courses, just a factual bias by a should be authority on public golf.

Mainly because Digest is an awful publication. The golf magazine public list has about 7 AZ courses on it.
Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors