Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Kingsbarns - The Best Experience in Golf?!

golf scotland kingsbarns golf experiences golf vacations golfing highlights

31 replies to this topic

#31 TheDailyDuffer

TheDailyDuffer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 374759
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:57 PM

View PostEmthree, on 02 December 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

View PostTheDailyDuffer, on 02 December 2015 - 12:40 AM, said:

So kings barns is too expensive, but Loch Lomond isn't?

I guess it depends on the type of golf you want. If it's links golf you really want, Dornoch at half the price is where i'd go. For a similar price range, Troon, Muirfield.

Loch Lomond's exclusivity is what makes it a thrilling experience, the members guest green fee is something like £500 compared to KB's £230. However, it's worth it if you try (and get) the opportunity.

Just to clarify.  What makes Loch Lomond so great is the fact that they don't allow outside play, and that its fairly difficult to get on?  If bragging rights are your primary motivation then i can see where your coming from.

By all accounts Loch Lomond is still a really good course (with terrible drainage), but its not quite as good as Kingsbarns.  I had the opportunity to play there this past summer however i would of had to skip Machrihanish so I decided to forgo my bragging rights to an "ultra exclusive" golf course for the amazing experience that is Machrihanish.  Although Machrihanish doesn't quite impress my friends as much, but I've never regretted my decision for a second.  I do understand why Brits enjoy Loch Lomond, but as a visiting American it wasn't exactly high on my list.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 jay65

jay65

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206889
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 1417

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:41 PM

View PostTheDailyDuffer, on 08 December 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

View PostEmthree, on 02 December 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

View PostTheDailyDuffer, on 02 December 2015 - 12:40 AM, said:

So kings barns is too expensive, but Loch Lomond isn't?

I guess it depends on the type of golf you want. If it's links golf you really want, Dornoch at half the price is where i'd go. For a similar price range, Troon, Muirfield.

Loch Lomond's exclusivity is what makes it a thrilling experience, the members guest green fee is something like £500 compared to KB's £230. However, it's worth it if you try (and get) the opportunity.

Just to clarify.  What makes Loch Lomond so great is the fact that they don't allow outside play, and that its fairly difficult to get on?  If bragging rights are your primary motivation then i can see where your coming from.

By all accounts Loch Lomond is still a really good course (with terrible drainage), but its not quite as good as Kingsbarns.  I had the opportunity to play there this past summer however i would of had to skip Machrihanish so I decided to forgo my bragging rights to an "ultra exclusive" golf course for the amazing experience that is Machrihanish.  Although Machrihanish doesn't quite impress my friends as much, but I've never regretted my decision for a second.  I do understand why Brits enjoy Loch Lomond, but as a visiting American it wasn't exactly high on my list.

I'm not sure that the enjoyment of Loch Lomond is a Nationality thing, I'm sure as many American visitors would also enjoy Loch Lomond too, to be fair. As to which anyone prefers is subjective, and their Nationality has little to do with it. Personally? I'll take the majority of Links Golf over the vast majority of inland Courses any day, and as a Brit myself, I think that proves the point in itself. But if one person says that he thinks Loch Lomond is better than Kingsbarns, I would still respect his opinion regardless of where he is from.

As I've said before, I've also played Kingsbarns, only the once, never again, it's a good track, but just too expensive for what it is, and I'm not a fan of the corporate holiday maker feel of the place. It all seems a little like a Golfing theme park to me, and that isn't my cup of tea. However, I see it's draw to passing holiday makers, But 'best experience in Golf'? Errr, not for me it isn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors