Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 1 votes

Favorite chain Steakhouse

74 replies to this topic

#61 SM1098

SM1098

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479056
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:01 PM

Mastro's Steakhouse

select cities in the US... but highly recommend if one is around your destination/home.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 halliedog

halliedog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30624
  • Handicap:5.2
GolfWRX Likes : 575

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:36 AM

View Postchickenpotpie, on 04 December 2015 - 09:01 PM, said:

What ever happened to those places they'd have at the mall where you could get a steak cooked to order, sort of cafeteria style.  Can't remember what they were called....New York something or other?

Found it....York Steak House

https://en.m.wikiped...ork_Steak_House

I need Silver Bullets to review this place since the last one is near CBus.  I want to know if it's still like walking into 1981.

I grew up in rural SE OH, and every time the family would go to CBus to visit relatives or to do some shopping I always looked forward to going in this place!  I don't know what it was about it (I was pretty young then and probably usually got a cheeseburger or chopped sirloin) but for some reason it always sticks out as one of my favorite childhood dining experiences.  It was cafeteria style - you grab a tray/silverware at one end of a long line, slide your tray down a railing, picking out the things you wanted as you go, then a cashier at the end where you give them your meat order.  You pay the cashier then she gives you a little plastic number you put on your table, when the meat is cooked they bring it out to your table by matching it up to the number.  I didn't realize that one still was still around, might have to stop by next time I'm down that way.

To the guy who said it was in a bad part of town, true story:
The last time I ever remember going to this place it was right before Christmas and we decided to splurge on a "big screen" TV (a 36" CRT if I remember correctly, but back then that was HUGE for a TV and cutting edge tech!).  We always bought our electronics at the JC Penny outlet, if any people remember those, because they were always refurbished returns or open box, and were much cheaper than retail.  For some reason we took the 2 door vehicle, and I think it was only me and my dad on the trip.  Anyway, we get the TV loaded into the front seat (wouldn't fit in trunk) and I sat in the back.  We decided since we were close by, both hungry, and had a 2+hr drive home ahead of us, we'd have dinner at York's.  Come back out after eating to find passenger window smashed, TV long gone!  We taped a garbage bad up and cleaned up the broken glass as best we could, but it wasn't a pleasant 3hr ride home for me, sitting in shards of broken glass trying to keep the trash bag from blowing away while we drove, and as I said it was right before Christmas, so probably like 20* outside.

Probably why i remember it being one of the last times I ever ate there, although now that I'm reliving that I do think I took a few dates their when I lived in CBus afterwards, but always early or summer when it stayed daylight long enough to get in and out!
WITB:
TM M1 8.5* w/ Aldila Rip Alpha 45.5"  
Ping TiSi Tec 7.5* w/ Elements Chrome 43"
Callaway 13.5* Pro Deep w/ Project X V6.0
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM RSi-TP 4-9 w/ KBS Tour V X
TM Rac PW - 48* w/ KBS C-Taper X
Nevada Golf Guy 53-08 w/ KBS Tour V X
TM Spider Blade 32 - 35"

#63 huskerguy18

huskerguy18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 455700
  • Handicap:28
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:45 AM

Longhorn if I had to choose. But I am blessed to live in Nebraska and if I want a good steak I go to the grocery store and cook it myself

#64 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2324

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:46 AM

View PostSM1098, on 12 January 2018 - 10:01 PM, said:

Mastro's Steakhouse

select cities in the US... but highly recommend if one is around your destination/home.

I had a really bad experience at Mastros here in Scottsdale back in December.  For high end steakhouses, I thought the food was pretty average.  I mean yeah it was really good compared to like a normal restaurant but in comparison to all of the high end steak houses I have been to, itís not too 5... not even close.

Oh and it was the most expensive steakhouse I have been too.  After tip, it was over $300 for my wife and I with no alcohol.  

Mastros is a hard pass for me going forward.  Not worth it, not on another level from other steak houses and is just too expensive.

In Scottsdale, I would much rather head to Steak 44.  Better food, better service, better price, better experience.   And itís not even close.
Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop

#65 Spicoli

Spicoli

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 254860
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:35 PM

Stoney River.  Better that longhorn, etc.  and cheaper than RC/Morton's.

Give me some US Prime beef and I can cook a mean steak on my own... That's actually what I prefer.

#66 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 21336

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

I have a hard time paying a lot for steak since i feel i can make them on my BBQ just as well. I mean you have to buy good quality meat of course....but i can get a good steak for 15-20$ and make it myself with some sweet potato fries or something and wine i bought at a store. It's like 30-40% of the cost of going out.

So steak is one of those things i just won't pay a lot for in a restaurant.

We have "the Keg" around here and i don't mind it, you can get like a peppercorn new york for 35$ and their calamari is good. It's not too crazy.

But like a 70-80$ steak or something at a high end joint, not my style
Callaway Epic Subzero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56, 60 w/S300
Odyssey O-Works #7 Red Tank

#67 ohioglfr

ohioglfr

Municipal Junkie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193866
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 236

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:43 PM

The Oakwood Club (Dayton OH area) or Ruth's Chris.

Tried the local Longhorn once, the service was terrible, the food . . . unremarkable.

#68 jaymayor

jaymayor

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 461418
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:jaymayor
GolfWRX Likes : 425

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

View PostMtlJeff, on 21 January 2018 - 03:41 PM, said:

I have a hard time paying a lot for steak since i feel i can make them on my BBQ just as well. I mean you have to buy good quality meat of course....but i can get a good steak for 15-20$ and make it myself with some sweet potato fries or something and wine i bought at a store. It's like 30-40% of the cost of going out.

So steak is one of those things i just won't pay a lot for in a restaurant.

We have "the Keg" around here and i don't mind it, you can get like a peppercorn new york for 35$ and their calamari is good. It's not too crazy.

But like a 70-80$ steak or something at a high end joint, not my style

Every time I go to the Keg I get the New York Keg Classic with peppercorn/sauce for $1 more. Caesar salad and garlic mashed as a side for $43 isn't too bad. My go too. Date night with the wife there on Thursday this week again.

#69 doctoro

doctoro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27610
  • Handicap:26
  • Ebay ID:keithlb1
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:39 PM

I feel if you are really a lover of fine steaks and in some places, really fresh seafood like oysters, king crab, and lobster, and specialized service for a special occasion or a power business meal, high-end steakhouses fit the bill.  Most of the staff are trained to deliver a more specialized experience than just an average Outback or even some of the more recognizable names which have been made into a chain like atmosphere like Mortons which was not owned by a big company at one time.  

If I wanted to match quality and price we have a place called Rays the Steaks here in the DC metro area which is a no frills but very high-quality steakhouse here in Arlington Virginia.  But that's the only location.  
As far as chains go, Longhorn is decent for a budget-minded experience and Outback is just ok in my book.  I do not eat a ton of steaks so I would tend to make it more high end to savor the flavor as opposed to a "Beef its whats for dinner" type of experience.

Living near a newly opened Eddie Merlots in Ashburn Va. is a nice treat every now and then, they use prime beef and have Wagyu on the menu from Australia.  everything made in-house and tableside service in a really nice atmosphere not stuffy like a Mortons or some other dark clubby places.  Their seafood is fresh and really good.  So I would have to say for a run of the mill chain go Longhorn, but for something off the hook.  Eddie Merlots at One Loudoun in Ashburn Va.

#70 SM1098

SM1098

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479056
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:22 PM

View PostSilverBullets, on 21 January 2018 - 11:46 AM, said:

View PostSM1098, on 12 January 2018 - 10:01 PM, said:

Mastro's Steakhouse

I had a really bad experience at Mastros here in Scottsdale back in December.  For high end steakhouses, I thought the food was pretty average.  I mean yeah it was really good compared to like a normal restaurant but in comparison to all of the high end steak houses I have been to, it's not too 5... not even close.

Oh and it was the most expensive steakhouse I have been too.  After tip, it was over $300 for my wife and I with no alcohol.  

Mastros is a hard pass for me going forward.  Not worth it, not on another level from other steak houses and is just too expensive.

In Scottsdale, I would much rather head to Steak 44.  Better food, better service, better price, better experience.   And it's not even close.

I've always had a great experience at their DC location. Never been to Scottsdale, but sounds like they're not on par with my local location.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 SpeedKills7

SpeedKills7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471346
  • Handicap:17
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

Have never had a bad meal at Mastros.  Always the best.  Have been to the one in Chicago quite a few times and also Scottsdale.  
By far my favorite Steakhouse.

#72 schley

schley

Love ya don't tell ya enough!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 181

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:20 AM

I like 2.  First is Lawry's, just a few places, but one in Beverly Hills and Chicago I have been to.  They have the Rose Bowl teams come and eat as much prime rib as they can and measure which team ate more.  Love the tableside carving of prime rib, which is my favorite beef.

My second and much more common choice would be Ruth's Chris. Many have been and there are probably over 100 locations in the states and abroad.  I like the consistency, which locations far and wide tend to be able to copy.  They are expensive, but not over the top.

I have been to Maestro's which is too expensive, Morton's I had a very poor cut of filet once I sent back (hardly ever send food back) due to asking for medium and it was almost bloody. I haven't been to Smith & Wollensky who I remember had the Stadler's pushing them in magazine advertising for years.

Edited by schley, 02 February 2018 - 03:21 AM.

#73 DrOldSchool

DrOldSchool

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381708
  • Handicap:4.3
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:28 PM

While it's a close call, I've always thought Mortons > Ruth's Chris. Only had Smith and Wollensky's once, and was impressed, but would need to have it more to compare fairly with these.

On the family-dining level, I used to love Texas Roadhouse until the one by me gave me a nasty bout of food poisoning. Not impressed by Logan's either. And you couldn't pay me to eat at Outback. Sort of leaves me with Longhorn by default. I miss Steak & Ale.

#74 dmbrill719

dmbrill719

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 492302
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:18 AM

This past year I was doing a good bit of travelling (2-3 nights/week on the road), usually staying in Hampton Inns in suburban areas.  Lots of Outback's close by.  My go-to was wedge salad, petite filet and steamed broccoli, plus a large glass of cabernet.  Occasionally would get a steak that could've been trimmed a bit better, or slightly heavy on their seasoning, but the steak was always cooked properly.  I have no issue with them as an 'everyday" type of steakhouse.  All time best, in my opinion, is Donovan's in La Jolla.  Premium national chains, Ruth's Chris.  I pretty much only eat 2 steaks - ribeye (bone-in is preferred) or filet.  Filet is super simple to cook at home.  Kosker salt, fresh cracked course black pepper.  Preheat over to 500*.  Heat cast iron skillet to medium-high.  2 min per side in skillet, add a pat of butter to the pan, put in the oven for another 2 min per side, baste with melted butter, plate, enjoy.
Epic SZ 9*  BB-7
Steelhead XR 4+ D+80
Apex 3h, 4h, Project X HC1
JPX 900 Forged 5 Recoil 125
JPX 900 Tour 6-PW Recoil 125
MD Forged 50, 56 DG X100
RM-22 60 DG TI Black Onyx X100
Vault Anser 2

#75 jb20

jb20

Rookie

• Members