Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 1 votes

Wilson Duo Urethane

229 replies to this topic

#211 tjumper78

tjumper78

Fore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123314
  • Handicap:8.1
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:15 PM

duo-u is not selling at my local pga stuperstore which i visit once a week.
i left dust-prints on a box of duo-u after i picked it up to read the info in the back about 6 weeks ago.  
in my last 4-5 visits, i saw that not a single box has moved since.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#212 trapsmv15

trapsmv15

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46685
GolfWRX Likes : 235

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:35 PM

Slower swinger here (injured; around 90mph right now but getting back up to where I was a few years ago), but I echo some of the common impressions of the ball:

It launches a bit low off the tee.
To that end, it's LONG, for me anyway.
It feels GREAT; balata-soft.
Irons are also a bit low, but nothing obscene.
It spins enough off irons and wedges to hold close to its mark.
It's CONSISTENT; doesn't 'brake' hard like a V1X, it 'sits' and rolls like a V1.

I really love the Duo-U. It makes my Wishon irons, which are clicky probably due to the high-COR construction, feel really soft and buttery; and it lets me take advantage of a higher loft driver without ballooning, and gaining distance on rollout. Compared to a Supersoft, which I had been trying to play lately, there was no comparison. About five to eight yards longer, and so much better around the greens.
Tour Edge Hot Launch 10.5* (ProLaunch Blue 55 R)
Tour Edge Hot Launch 17* (ProLaunch Blue 59 R)
Tour Edge Hot Launch 3H-6H (Hot Launch 60 R)
Tour Edge Hot Launch 7-LW (Dynalite Gold R300)
Tour Edge HP Series 02 (34")
Maxfli U/Fli Soft

#213 Nomad Golfer

Nomad Golfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366769
  • Location:Bribie Island, a Queensland island SE Australia where golf is all year round
  • Handicap:yes
GolfWRX Likes : 607

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for the report trapsmv15. I'm using the W/S Duo with my vintage clubs but think I'll get a doz of the U for my blades which need all the help they can get.
Avatar:  Mac Tourney Staff Bag same as mine

Regular bag:
Driver: TaylorMade r7 425 11.5*
Fairway: Cleveland Launcher 17*
Hybrid: Adams Idea a12 OS 22*
Irons: W/S Ci7 5-SW Dunlop 60*
Putter: Wilson Harmonized 744
Balls: Pinnacle Gold W/S Duo
Bag: AdamsGolf lite

Classic collection:
Honma Persimmon woods 1 2 3 4 5 7 PGF Chesterfield Persimmon #1 PGF Aristocrat Tour #3 PGF Little Slammer #5 Slazenger Gary Player #2
Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear mkIII #4 Spalding Executive #7 MacGregor Reverse Draft irons 5-SW MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Classic irons 3-SW Honma LB-708 Cavity Back irons 3-9 10 11 & SW Hogan Apex Plus E 46* Lovett Tour Standard chipper 59* Karsten PING PAL2 Knox Bullseye MacGregor Tour Classic bag

#214 lawsonman

lawsonman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171857
  • Handicap:None
  • Ebay ID:pingguy1970
GolfWRX Likes : 2470

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:06 AM

View Posttjumper78, on 17 May 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

i left dust-prints on a box of duo-u after i picked it up to read the info in the back about 6 weeks ago.  

People don't know what their missing.
I have a excellent short game. It's unfortunate that it starts on the Tee.

Callaway Epic/ Stiff Hzrdus
Taylormade RBZ 19 Hybrid
Ping G400 4-UW
Odyssey O Works 3T
Ping Glide 54, 58
Snell MTB Ball

#215 deetsal

deetsal

deetsal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348655
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 620

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:25 AM

View Posttjumper78, on 17 May 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

Can't be a good ball if everyone is not playing it, right? Just like the 1st generation Fg Tour,  never found one ball hawking.   I find lots of Nike Mojo's, that must be a great ball.  After all people are never swayed by advertising and hype.  Golfers are much too smart for that. ��

#216 darsony

darsony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 302101
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:16 PM

I live in GA and play golf several times a week and have used all the DUO and FG Tour balls for many rounds of golf.  The foursome I play with uses DUO balls as well.  When someone in the group uses one, you will all have to as the DUO ball is at least a club to a club and a half longer off the irons, and when hit on certain low trajectories just seems to go forever.  So unless you want to hit 5 iron when your buddies are hitting 6 or 7, you will use a DUO.  But that is its limitation.  Long.  It sucks around the greens.  Yes, the DUO urethane is best around the green for chipping and pitching, but it doesn't perform as well as the 2015 FG Tour IMO.  And it was severely overpriced at $45/doz, even though I think it is a better product than the PROV1 as it is always as long and sometimes much longer than a PROV1 off the tee and very spinny and controllable on short game shots.  But no one will pay that much for a Wilson Staff ball.  Come on Wilson!

The DUO and DUO spin just don't stop well when hit into a green.  It is very common for them to roll through a green where say a PROV1 would stop.  Frankly, I don't think the SPIN is worth any extra money over the DUO, although it is really LONG off the tee.  And that is the consensus of my foursome (who are all single digit handicaps).  When it comes to the DUO Urethane, the other guys frankly didn't see the value, as it doesn't feel as soft and didn't seem to be as long, and performance around the green is better but not $18/doz better.  They have reverted to the DUO, with one guy switching to Bridgestone (can't recall what model - he bought new irons with jack up lofts so he keeps up on club selection).  I, on the other hand, didn't think the DUO Urethane was as good as the 2015 FG Tour around the greens, nor as long, and considering I can now buy FG TOURS for $30/doz, it was a no brainer.

#217 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,073 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 251

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:43 AM

View Postdarsony, on 22 May 2016 - 11:16 PM, said:

I live in GA and play golf several times a week and have used all the DUO and FG Tour balls for many rounds of golf.  The foursome I play with uses DUO balls as well.  When someone in the group uses one, you will all have to as the DUO ball is at least a club to a club and a half longer off the irons, and when hit on certain low trajectories just seems to go forever.  So unless you want to hit 5 iron when your buddies are hitting 6 or 7, you will use a DUO.  But that is its limitation.  Long.  It sucks around the greens.  Yes, the DUO urethane is best around the green for chipping and pitching, but it doesn't perform as well as the 2015 FG Tour IMO.  And it was severely overpriced at $45/doz, even though I think it is a better product than the PROV1 as it is always as long and sometimes much longer than a PROV1 off the tee and very spinny and controllable on short game shots.  But no one will pay that much for a Wilson Staff ball.  Come on Wilson!

The DUO and DUO spin just don't stop well when hit into a green.  It is very common for them to roll through a green where say a PROV1 would stop.  Frankly, I don't think the SPIN is worth any extra money over the DUO, although it is really LONG off the tee.  And that is the consensus of my foursome (who are all single digit handicaps).  When it comes to the DUO Urethane, the other guys frankly didn't see the value, as it doesn't feel as soft and didn't seem to be as long, and performance around the green is better but not $18/doz better.  They have reverted to the DUO, with one guy switching to Bridgestone (can't recall what model - he bought new irons with jack up lofts so he keeps up on club selection).  I, on the other hand, didn't think the DUO Urethane was as good as the 2015 FG Tour around the greens, nor as long, and considering I can now buy FG TOURS for $30/doz, it was a no brainer.

Good review. I like the Duo U and agree, not worth the money though. Have you played gamer soft? Is the Duo Spin similar?

#218 tjumper78

tjumper78

Fore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123314
  • Handicap:8.1
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:16 AM

View Postdeetsal, on 20 May 2016 - 06:25 AM, said:

Can't be a good ball if everyone is not playing it, right? Just like the 1st generation Fg Tour,  never found one ball hawking.   I find lots of Nike Mojo's, that must be a great ball.  After all people are never swayed by advertising and hype.  Golfers are much too smart for that. ��

i was actually hoping the same would happen with duo-u.

#219 darsony

darsony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 302101
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:49 AM

View PostTanner25, on 23 May 2016 - 06:43 AM, said:

View Postdarsony, on 22 May 2016 - 11:16 PM, said:

Good review. I like the Duo U and agree, not worth the money though. Have you played gamer soft? Is the Duo Spin similar?
  Haven't played the Gamer soft.

#220 Minarets

Minarets

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28043
GolfWRX Likes : 257

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:20 AM

Really want to try this one. As a former golf ball snob, I fell in love with the Wilson 50. I'd love to see if there are enough differences to justify the $20 more dollars/doz.

Driver: Adams 9064LS 9.5*
Irons: Ping I-20 4-W
Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue Mid 16*, 19*
Wedges: Scratch 8620 53*, 58*
Putter: SeeMore mFGP
Bag: SM Four5 / Ball: Srixon ZStar XV

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#221 deetsal

deetsal

deetsal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348655
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 620

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:09 AM

The Duo U and the Callaway soft chrome along with the Bridgestone RXS are in a class all themselves.  No matter what the manufactures say these are for those slower swinging individuals that want a "tour" ball that delivers soft feel and good spin.  The bridgestone RXS has never been a favorite of mine but I give credit to them for being honest in marketing it as a ball for slower swingers.  

NO BALL FITS EVERY SWING.  Even Titleist hopped on board with the DT True Soft.  South for the " ball that fits every swing"  ads.

#222 Shi Guy

Shi Guy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 418762
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

I picked up a sleeve of the Duo-U and enjoyed them quite a bit.  I usually play with the Project-A and I found the Duo-Us to be longer off the tee but more roll out on the greens.

#223 Doink27

Doink27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 369257
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:51 AM

This is a fantastic ball - feel is tremendous - putts fantastic off of a milled face (insert putters meh..)

Off the woods, irons and wedges it is fantastic - feels like a balata or a Tour Prestige but goes really far...best ball I've ever used!!!

#224 taylorbruce

taylorbruce

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83799
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 17 June 2016 - 02:02 PM

Wilson's doing a great job. From clubs to balls, making a big splash with the people who are willing to give them a try.

#225 CBJ

CBJ

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92543
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

Bump

Ping G LS Tec
Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3-PW w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95
Taylormade Milled Grind 50, 54, 58 degree
Evnroll ER2
Wilson Duo Urethane balls

#226 uitar9

uitar9

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 349721
  • Handicap:18.3
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:19 AM

Moved to the Duo the past few months. Like how it feels off the face. Putts well. and its tough. As others have said, it does not hold a green as well as a PV1 but I'm hitting a few more greens. I bought 36 for the price of 12 PV1.

#227 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,073 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:31 PM

DuoU has come way down in price at my local golf galaxy. Too bad it doesn't come in yellow. A great ball. Not too soft and not too hard.

Edited by Tanner25, 08 September 2017 - 08:31 PM.

#228 Stanks

Stanks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469442
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:46 PM

Tanner25, on 08 September 2017 - 08:31 PM, said:

DuoU has come way down in price at my local golf galaxy. Too bad it doesn't come in yellow. A great ball. Not too soft and not too hard.

Say a price?

I grabbed a dozen for 30 about 2 - 3 weeks ago and I thought that was a steal of a deal.

#229 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,073 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:05 AM

Stanks, on 08 September 2017 - 08:46 PM, said:

Tanner25, on 08 September 2017 - 08:31 PM, said:

Say a price?

I grabbed a dozen for 30 about 2 - 3 weeks ago and I thought that was a steal of a deal.

Yes, it was selling for 30. They were higher, 38? when they were released.

#230 Neverfadeaway86

Neverfadeaway86

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 453560
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:50 PM

golfballs.com has the Duo U overruns for 26 $ plus shipping. I have bought 5 dozen and not a logo on them and they aren't blemished either

Edited by Neverfadeaway86, 11 September 2017 - 02:51 PM.

Au revoir, gopher !

Driver: Nike VR Limited Edition 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy 15 degree

3 Hybrid Ping I20
4 Hybrid: Ping G25 23 degree
4-Gap Wedge: Ping G30 20 degree
Sand Wedge: Ping Glide 56 degree
Lob Wedge: Ping Glide 60 degree
Putter: Cleveland TFI Counter Balanced Smart Square Halo

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors