Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 9 votes

Dizz aka J.W. WITB for 2018 (Added new WITB pics on 6/16/2018!!)


200 replies to this topic

#151 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9,243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91668
  • Joined: 08/13/2009
  • Location:VA
GolfWRX Likes : 8652

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:38 AM

Good to see you back, Dizzub, and nice bag as always. Great playing too, no matter how easy the course, and more so after a break.

WITB Link

Cobra Fly Z 9.5*, Speeder TS 6.2
Callaway BBA 16*, Speeder TS 8.2
Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump
Maxfli Revolution 4-PW, DG
Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#152 Dizz

Dizz

    J.W.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:59 AM

I walked another 9 holes yesterday and still didn't really have any problems with gapping.  I haven't hit the driver very well and actually hit the D3 that I borrowed better than my D2 that I ordered new.  I definitely need something in between driver and 5I though.  I made 2 bogeys and a birdie yesterday-- the one bogey I flagged my approach but its was dead into the wind and I just airmailed the green.  I hit it tight from 160 straight into the same wind for my only birdie... I hit these irons better than I have ever hit any irons.  Driver is on the chopping block if I have 5 more rounds like this... LOL.
XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"

2

#153 Dizz

Dizz

    J.W.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:05 AM

Ordered a PING G Crossover 3 Iron with Dynamic Gold S400 shaft... should be interesting.  I also ordered a 54 degree M-grind SM6 Vokey that I'm looking forward to getting.  I ordered it @ 53 degrees and looking forward to adding a low bounce wedge to my arsenal.

I have played several times on the same course and then 18 holes over the weekend at a nice local private club... and continued to really hit my 716 irons so well.  I actually made 7 birdies in 18 holes... only ended up shooting 70 but I hit so many great iron shots that I walked off the 18th green feeling pretty good about my iron game.  Its always nice to have three 2's on the scorecard.  I didn't really make any big numbers- 7 birdies, 6 pars, 5 bogeys... but I really drove it pretty poorly.  The 5 bogeys I made were from being out of position off the tee and basically being totally blocked out just trying to get it up near the green with my second shots.  This is an older private CC with VERY narrow fairways -- 6600 yards from the back tees where I played and usually when I play this course I hit a hybrid or long iron from a lot of the tees (I have nothing between driver and 5-Iron currently, enter Crossover 3-Iron) because there is nowhere to hit driver even when you're swinging well.  BUT if you're driving it like JUNK like I was then it's even harder.....  I had another 3 birdies on the par 5's, all of which I was forced to lay up because of a below average to poor drive which I recovered and then hit my 3rd shots tight with short to mid irons in hand.  My only par 4 birdie was on the 9th hole which had to be played from the standard Men's tee because the back tee was closed-- so its effectively a short but crazy narrow 317 yard hole with a HUGE bunker from 260 carry all the way to 300 carry which is the front edge of the green... so unless you can fly it 300+ yards its a terrible play because you'd leave yourself a LONG bunker shot to an uphill green that's sloped quite a bit with several tiers.  The pin is on the back ledge 95% of the time and hitting a long bunker shot to that top ledge is next to impossible.  I hit 5 iron from the tee leaving myself 113 yards... which I hit a little chip PW to 3-4 feet and made birdie.

I sorta wish I would have bought the D3... before I pulled the trigger on my new D2 I actually borrowed a friend's D3 and hit it really well but I just figured a little more forgiveness wouldn't hurt and I always played the D2 heads when I was a Titleist Staff Professional!  Well I think I wish I had just pulled the trigger on the D3 in 9.5 instead of the 8.5 that I borrowed and I would have been happier.

The driver will be on the chopping block if I have a few more driving rounds like that one...

Edited by Dizz, 19 May 2017 - 12:07 AM.

XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"

3

#154 Boydr12

Boydr12

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 309025
  • Joined: 04/16/2014
  • Location:North Carolina
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 349

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:54 AM

View PostDizz, on 19 May 2017 - 12:05 AM, said:

Ordered a PING G Crossover 3 Iron with Dynamic Gold S400 shaft... should be interesting.  I also ordered a 54 degree M-grind SM6 Vokey that I'm looking forward to getting.  I ordered it @ 53 degrees and looking forward to adding a low bounce wedge to my arsenal.

I have played several times on the same course and then 18 holes over the weekend at a nice local private club... and continued to really hit my 716 irons so well.  I actually made 7 birdies in 18 holes... only ended up shooting 70 but I hit so many great iron shots that I walked off the 18th green feeling pretty good about my iron game.  Its always nice to have three 2's on the scorecard.  I didn't really make any big numbers- 7 birdies, 6 pars, 5 bogeys... but I really drove it pretty poorly.  The 5 bogeys I made were from being out of position off the tee and basically being totally blocked out just trying to get it up near the green with my second shots.  This is an older private CC with VERY narrow fairways -- 6600 yards from the back tees where I played and usually when I play this course I hit a hybrid or long iron from a lot of the tees (I have nothing between driver and 5-Iron currently, enter Crossover 3-Iron) because there is nowhere to hit driver even when you're swinging well.  BUT if you're driving it like JUNK like I was then it's even harder.....  I had another 3 birdies on the par 5's, all of which I was forced to lay up because of a below average to poor drive which I recovered and then hit my 3rd shots tight with short to mid irons in hand.  My only par 4 birdie was on the 9th hole which had to be played from the standard Men's tee because the back tee was closed-- so its effectively a short but crazy narrow 317 yard hole with a HUGE bunker from 260 carry all the way to 300 carry which is the front edge of the green... so unless you can fly it 300+ yards its a terrible play because you'd leave yourself a LONG bunker shot to an uphill green that's sloped quite a bit with several tiers.  The pin is on the back ledge 95% of the time and hitting a long bunker shot to that top ledge is next to impossible.  I hit 5 iron from the tee leaving myself 113 yards... which I hit a little chip PW to 3-4 feet and made birdie.

I sorta wish I would have bought the D3... before I pulled the trigger on my new D2 I actually borrowed a friend's D3 and hit it really well but I just figured a little more forgiveness wouldn't hurt and I always played the D2 heads when I was a Titleist Staff Professional!  Well I think I wish I had just pulled the trigger on the D3 in 9.5 instead of the 8.5 that I borrowed and I would have been happier.

The driver will be on the chopping block if I have a few more driving rounds like that one...

Time for the EPIC!!

4

#155 minteq

minteq

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15455
  • Joined: 06/13/2006
  • Location:Cleveland, Oh
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 458

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:41 PM

View PostDizz, on 19 May 2017 - 12:05 AM, said:

Ordered a PING G Crossover 3 Iron with Dynamic Gold S400 shaft... should be interesting.  I also ordered a 54 degree M-grind SM6 Vokey that I'm looking forward to getting.  I ordered it @ 53 degrees and looking forward to adding a low bounce wedge to my arsenal.

I have played several times on the same course and then 18 holes over the weekend at a nice local private club... and continued to really hit my 716 irons so well.  I actually made 7 birdies in 18 holes... only ended up shooting 70 but I hit so many great iron shots that I walked off the 18th green feeling pretty good about my iron game.  Its always nice to have three 2's on the scorecard.  I didn't really make any big numbers- 7 birdies, 6 pars, 5 bogeys... but I really drove it pretty poorly.  The 5 bogeys I made were from being out of position off the tee and basically being totally blocked out just trying to get it up near the green with my second shots.  This is an older private CC with VERY narrow fairways -- 6600 yards from the back tees where I played and usually when I play this course I hit a hybrid or long iron from a lot of the tees (I have nothing between driver and 5-Iron currently, enter Crossover 3-Iron) because there is nowhere to hit driver even when you're swinging well.  BUT if you're driving it like JUNK like I was then it's even harder.....  I had another 3 birdies on the par 5's, all of which I was forced to lay up because of a below average to poor drive which I recovered and then hit my 3rd shots tight with short to mid irons in hand.  My only par 4 birdie was on the 9th hole which had to be played from the standard Men's tee because the back tee was closed-- so its effectively a short but crazy narrow 317 yard hole with a HUGE bunker from 260 carry all the way to 300 carry which is the front edge of the green... so unless you can fly it 300+ yards its a terrible play because you'd leave yourself a LONG bunker shot to an uphill green that's sloped quite a bit with several tiers.  The pin is on the back ledge 95% of the time and hitting a long bunker shot to that top ledge is next to impossible.  I hit 5 iron from the tee leaving myself 113 yards... which I hit a little chip PW to 3-4 feet and made birdie.

I sorta wish I would have bought the D3... before I pulled the trigger on my new D2 I actually borrowed a friend's D3 and hit it really well but I just figured a little more forgiveness wouldn't hurt and I always played the D2 heads when I was a Titleist Staff Professional!  Well I think I wish I had just pulled the trigger on the D3 in 9.5 instead of the 8.5 that I borrowed and I would have been happier.

The driver will be on the chopping block if I have a few more driving rounds like that one...

The 917D3 is a great driver, got fit when it came out and my driving has never been better.

Titleist 917D3 9.5 Diamana D+
Titleist 917F2 16.4 deg
Titleist 718 AP2 4-pw
Titleist SM7 56/60
SC Select Newport
Titleist ProV1

5

#156 mflores

mflores

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38844
  • Joined: 09/05/2007
  • Location:Chicagoland
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 22 May 2017 - 07:43 AM

Hey JW, great to see you back. The game is still solid based on those rounds. What are you gaming for a putter?

I grabbed a couple of your hand ground wedges and those were sick - one was the 60 degree JW wedge . I pinged you last year to see if you wanted it back - I should have kept it.

Keep up the good work
G400 Max Ad DI 7
M3 15 degree Tensei Blue
Srixon H45 19 hybrid Tour spec 8.8
Srixon Z 565/765 Nippon 125
Vokey Forged 50F, 54M, 60J Nippon 125
Scotty Cameron X7M

6

#157 gentles

gentles

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18758
  • Joined: 09/01/2006
  • Location:Ontario
GolfWRX Likes : 315

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:58 PM

Keen to hear how you like the Crossover with the steel shaft. I have one with the Tour 90 and it just feels too light for me.

Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5 | Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Taylormade M2 DF 3HL | Paderson Kinetixx TS-F X
Taylormade P790 3i | DG 105 X100 or Callaway Apex 20* | Paderson TS-H X

Taylormade P790 4, P770 5-P | DG AMT X100
Ping Glide 50/54/58 | DG S400
Ping Milled Anser 5


7

#158 Dizz

Dizz

    J.W.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:07 AM

View Postmflores, on 22 May 2017 - 07:43 AM, said:

Hey JW, great to see you back. The game is still solid based on those rounds. What are you gaming for a putter?

I grabbed a couple of your hand ground wedges and those were sick - one was the 60 degree JW wedge . I pinged you last year to see if you wanted it back - I should have kept it.

Keep up the good work

Yes I remember when we made the deal for that 60 degree I believe we agreed that when you decided to sell it you were going to ask me if I wanted to buy it back first before it hit the market.  And you held up your end by asking me first before listing it on the BST or eBay or wherever you sold it because I definitely 100% remember you asking me.  However the wedge I really, really want back is the 56 degree K grind that I got handmade and hand ground for me by Bob Vokey himself and his right hand man-- Aaron Dill who did most of the grinding and shaping.  Bob must have spent a lot of time showing Aaron his craft over the years because he is really, really talented.  However that wedge in particular, Aaron asked me some questions about the shots I use it for and what I liked to feel when the club interacted with the turf, what shape I liked to see from address with the heel and toe and finally what I liked the leading edge to look like... shape and thickness... it was really cool and a totally custom piece.  Then he watched me hit shots from the rough and then most importantly-- he watched me hit chips and pitches from perfect, tight fairway lies at Firestone Country Club.  Finally, he selected a head and did quite a bit of hand work on the wheel........

When it was finished, he stamped my initials in the very small tour only font all over the wedge and then colored the paint fill my old college colors... without me even having to ask for any of extras.  And to top it all off, the club was perfect on the course.  The first time I ever played with it... in fact the first shot I ever hit with that club I holed out from 87 yards for eagle.  Even crazier-- I made 3 eagles in the first 8 holes with it... holed out from 40 yards on a short par 4 (5th hole at this course) that's drivable under the right conditions and then chipped in on the 8th hole from just short of the green on the par 5 8th hole which is a brut of a hole... 560 yards up the hill.  I holed out with this club more than any other club I have ever had and even when I wasn't getting lucky and it was going in, I was hitting awesome shots that finished close as well.  It was my favorite cub by far... and it was the last club left when I got rid of literally every club I owned.  I got into a couple car accidents and stopped playing and genuinely never thought I play again so I figured someone else might as well enjoy it so I got rid of it.  I do remember having the same deal with the buyer that I had with you on the 60 degree... part of it was if he was ever going to sell it that he had to let me have the first chance at buying it back.  But unlike yours he has not reached out to me about it so he probably still has it (hopefully) and I do remember he was a solid WRX'er... someone that posted quite a bit and was active in every part of the forums and not just buying and selling.

Honestly I was in pain, just got out of the golf business and just burnt out with the game because it was pretty much my life for 13 years.  I became obsessed with golf In high school and in the summer I literally played 100 holes every day and hit 4 buckets of range balls on top of that.  Then I played in tons of tournaments before, during and after high school, then college golf, then I decided not to really use my degree and became a golf pro.  As a golf pro I was obsessed again-- posting ~12,000+ posts on this site even after working 50-60-70 hours behind the counter, on the lesson tee, and with the Trackman in the fitting bay.  I was obsessed... and then when I was having really bad back pain and sciatica where I needed my first surgery it started to become less and less fun because I couldn't play as well and I was in constant pain.  I decided to get out of the golf business for good and really didn't think I would ever play again.

I made it around 2 years without ever touching a club but I have the bug again and I am really enjoying the game again.  But man I miss that wedge.  It was a RAW 56 degree K grind bent to 55 degrees, stamped on the toe was 2013 Prototype along with the new loft.
XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"

8

#159 Dizz

Dizz

    J.W.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:12 AM

View Postgentles, on 22 May 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

Keen to hear how you like the Crossover with the steel shaft. I have one with the Tour 90 and it just feels too light for me.

One of my new playing partners bought it from me the second round I had it-- in fact I only hit it 4 times total.  However my new home course has a tough par 3 that you have to carry the ball ~200 yards and he never had a perfect club for the shot.  Anyway, he asked if he could use it on this hole and the first swing he made with the club he hit it to 5 feet from 215 yards and his eyes lit up.  Two days later he asked again and he hit almost the same shot.  This time he said he had to have this exact club so I sold it for what I paid for it...  I wasn't in love with it anyway.  I just ordered a 716CB 3 iron to go with my MB set...

To your question though-- it felt great with the S400 but it was just so much bigger than my 716MB (obviously) that I never liked looking at it.... I hit it well too but he just hit several career shots with it.

Edited by Dizz, 01 June 2017 - 03:13 AM.

XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"

9

#160 Dizz

Dizz

    J.W.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:18 AM

View Postminteq, on 21 May 2017 - 06:41 PM, said:

View PostDizz, on 19 May 2017 - 12:05 AM, said:

Ordered a PING G Crossover 3 Iron with Dynamic Gold S400 shaft... should be interesting.  I also ordered a 54 degree M-grind SM6 Vokey that I'm looking forward to getting.  I ordered it @ 53 degrees and looking forward to adding a low bounce wedge to my arsenal.

I have played several times on the same course and then 18 holes over the weekend at a nice local private club... and continued to really hit my 716 irons so well.  I actually made 7 birdies in 18 holes... only ended up shooting 70 but I hit so many great iron shots that I walked off the 18th green feeling pretty good about my iron game.  Its always nice to have three 2's on the scorecard.  I didn't really make any big numbers- 7 birdies, 6 pars, 5 bogeys... but I really drove it pretty poorly.  The 5 bogeys I made were from being out of position off the tee and basically being totally blocked out just trying to get it up near the green with my second shots.  This is an older private CC with VERY narrow fairways -- 6600 yards from the back tees where I played and usually when I play this course I hit a hybrid or long iron from a lot of the tees (I have nothing between driver and 5-Iron currently, enter Crossover 3-Iron) because there is nowhere to hit driver even when you're swinging well.  BUT if you're driving it like JUNK like I was then it's even harder.....  I had another 3 birdies on the par 5's, all of which I was forced to lay up because of a below average to poor drive which I recovered and then hit my 3rd shots tight with short to mid irons in hand.  My only par 4 birdie was on the 9th hole which had to be played from the standard Men's tee because the back tee was closed-- so its effectively a short but crazy narrow 317 yard hole with a HUGE bunker from 260 carry all the way to 300 carry which is the front edge of the green... so unless you can fly it 300+ yards its a terrible play because you'd leave yourself a LONG bunker shot to an uphill green that's sloped quite a bit with several tiers.  The pin is on the back ledge 95% of the time and hitting a long bunker shot to that top ledge is next to impossible.  I hit 5 iron from the tee leaving myself 113 yards... which I hit a little chip PW to 3-4 feet and made birdie.

I sorta wish I would have bought the D3... before I pulled the trigger on my new D2 I actually borrowed a friend's D3 and hit it really well but I just figured a little more forgiveness wouldn't hurt and I always played the D2 heads when I was a Titleist Staff Professional!  Well I think I wish I had just pulled the trigger on the D3 in 9.5 instead of the 8.5 that I borrowed and I would have been happier.

The driver will be on the chopping block if I have a few more driving rounds like that one...

The 917D3 is a great driver, got fit when it came out and my driving has never been better.

Thinking about buying a D3 even though I just bought a brand new custom ordered 8.5 degree D2 with Speeder 661!!!!???!!!!?????  I am starting to hit it better by forcing myself not to give up on it like I would have already in the past.  Its not like I hit it badly, its just the D3 looks so perfect everywhere.... especially from address!!

XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#161 Dizz

Dizz

    J.W.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:04 PM

I have been playing 9 holes in the morning before work about 2-3 times per week and still really enjoying the game.  I have finalized my bag and I have decided to finish out the bag with a total of 12 clubs.  That seems to be the perfect number of clubs for me to fully play the game with absolutely no thought that I am giving something up-- and I was pretty content a lot of the time with just 9, 10 or 11 clubs along the way until I finally finished my bag at 12.

Here it is:

917D3 (9.5)- S+ 70X @ 44.5", D2
Anser (17)- VTS Black 85X @ 40.5", D2
716CB (3), MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey RAW "2014 Tour Prototype" (52.5)- S400
Vokey RAW SM6 (58K)- S400
Scotty Cameron Buttonback Newport 2

So the big additions-- I ran into an old friend that works for Titleist and we started chatting and I was telling him about my bag setup..... in particular my wedge setup.  He was shocked that I was playing just two total wedges... the 716MB PW straight to a 58 degree lofted SM6.  He has seen me hit shots before so he knew a little bit about my style so he said he had just the perfect wedge for me.  A week or so later I got a box in the mail, it was a brand new RAW toe stamped "2014 Tour Prototype" wedge that almost looked like a K grind sole that you'd see on a 54-56 degree K grind with a little bit of trail edge relief.  It did not have a grind listed-- just the prototype toe stamp.  He bent it and stamped it 52.5 degrees which he said JT was using on tour and it should fit perfect in between my PW and my SM6 58.  I absolutely love the club and I actually already holed out twice with it during league play... the first time I was 65 yards out and straight into a 20 mph wind and hit a knock down 3/4 type shot that never touched the ground.  The second time was a straight forward, perfect conditions, absolutely ZERO wind 7:00 PM at night 95 yard shot that came off perfect and rolled in perfectly.

Then I finally found a new in plastic Anser 17 on eBay for $65 and I reshafted it with my VTS Black which I love in this head... and its an amazing club.

Finally, I added my favorite putter of all time and the one I wish I had never sold.  Almost all of my most important rounds as well as my best rounds over the years were played with this putter-- a Scotty Cameron ButtonBack Newport 2-- it was a limited edition model back in ~2008 or so I think.  I keep it standard with the weights, standard at 34" but replace the leather Gripmaster grip with a Cameron No Cord.  I passed my PAT with the same putter, I shot my lowest round of 63 with that putter and I shot my lowest tournament round of 64 with that putter.

I couldn't be happier with my bag to be honest.

All of it is in a Titleist Sunday Bag... and every club I love.  The only thing I would even **think** about changing is the driver.  If I decide to go with something ULTRA-FORGIVING then I might think about trying something else but I doubt it because I just drive it so straight with the D3 head.  For some reason I hit the center of the face a lot more often with it than anything else I have really tried.  I can't decide if its because I like the size or the head or what but I just hit this D3 out of the center or very close to it almost every single time!!
XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"

11

#162 Boydr12

Boydr12

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 309025
  • Joined: 04/16/2014
  • Location:North Carolina
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 349

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:33 AM

Awesome to hear you're having so much fun with the game again Dizz!!

12

#163 Sir edward of putternut

Sir edward of putternut

    DARTH SMUG

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401902
  • Joined: 11/05/2015
  • Location:Burbank
GolfWRX Likes : 766

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

Impressive......most impressive
Mizuno mp 5(px 5.5)
Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
Byron Morgan 007
Callaway XR16 pro 9.0
Tmb 2 iron
Cobra Ltd Pro 4/5 fw
Tm m2 3 wood

13

#164 beluga99

beluga99

    The secret ingredient is crime.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132921
  • Joined: 07/13/2011
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 435

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:57 AM

Just got myself a blue F7+ which I find just as nice as the 917 D3 but feels a tad more solid when struck.  Both great drivers.
G400
917 F2
Anser 18 + 23
IE1 5-U
Glide 56, 60 ES
Odyssey

14

#165 Dizz

Dizz

    J.W.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:37 PM

A few weeks ago, I ordered two different drivers that are complete opposites to mess around with....

The new Cobra King driver and a Titleist 917D3 with a Dynamic Gold X100... and I fell in love wit the driver.

So, over the weekend I played 18 holes and never drove it better that I can remember.  Even in my prime, I was never an exceptional driver but I can remember the straightest combo I've ever played for an extended period was one in which a steel X100 shaft was installed.  I actually custom ordered that driver from Bomb Squad Golf... aka... BSG ... aka ... Todd Thurn's WRX before there was WRX.  Anyway, the 300 Tour came out and that driver head was literally the holy grail of holy grails.  THE first tour issue club, the 300 Tour Holy Grail.  It came with one of two options-- the Fujikura Speeder 757 (which I wanted) or the Mitsubishi Rayon (literally called just that, it was a shaft made specifically for that club) but there were was a VERY LIMITED number of these Holy Grails and an even smaller number of them with the 757.  I did not get one with the 757 so I settled for the Rayon which was fine because it was cheaper and I asked Todd to install the X100 for me.  At the time I was only 16 years old and I swung VERY hard compared to now, 120+ easy if I had to guess and 165 yard pitching wedges were the norm if that tells you anything... by the way... 165 yard pitching wedges are not good for scoring... LOL.  I hard just started using shafts that were stiff enough for me and I had a Titleist 975J shafted with a X100 and just started getting along with it so that's how I decided to continue with one in the 300 Tour.  Anyway, long story short Todd refused to have it re-shafted with the X100 and told me I was ruining a first-of-its-kind available to the public tour issue head that everyone on tour was using.  I would say he berated me for 5-6 PM exchanges before I said to just send it with the Rayon in the box.  I got it shafted with the X100 by Chip Usher and it was literally my favorite club for 2 years until I cracked the face on it.  At that time in my life, I played 54 holes every single day and then hit balls until dark. So after literally thousands and thousands of sandy range balls it cracked.

I duplicated the specs of the 300 Tour with the 917D3... 9.5 degrees of loft, X100 @ 43.5" with the Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cord logo down @ D4 swingweight.  I ABSOLUTELY FELL IN LOVE WITH THIS STEEL SHAFTED 917D3...

So here are the clubs in my all black Titleist Sunday Bag...

917D3 (9.5)- X100 @ 43.5", D4
716CB/MB Combo (*3, 5-PW)- S400, D3
Vokey SM6 (*52 & 58)- S400
Button Back Newport II @ 34"

*I just ordered the 52 Vokey, it is a TVD raw version just like my 58K...so the entire season so far I have been playing with PW straight to 57 degree Vokey... as it is bent one degree strong from its starting point of 58 degrees.  Its a pretty cool setup (in my opinion) playing with less than 10 clubs and still scoring just as well as I would be with a full set.  *Also, the 3 iron was just ordered as well so its been fun playing golf with a minimalistic approach which requires a lot more creativity and thinking instead of just pulling a club and just bashing away.  So that shows that 95% of the time I have been using 9 clubs: 917D3, 716MB (5-PW), SM6 @ 57 degrees and a putter.

What do you guys think?

PS- In memory of being berated by Todd, I am using his old limited edition bomb headcover.... LOL.  But, to be fair... the guy running it now is a really nice guy.

Edited by Dizz, 29 June 2017 - 01:46 AM.

XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"

15

#166 ShutSteepStuck

ShutSteepStuck

    Grinding like Briny Baird

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182556
  • Joined: 05/23/2012
  • Location:The Valley
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 478

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

Stoked for you. Nothing like a driver that you love...life always seems easier when that is the case.
Would love to see some pics of such a beauty.
g400max 9*- rogue 125 60tx
g30 14.5* - ping tour 80x
vrPro ltd. 19* - diamana s 83x
4-gw ap1 712 - s300's
mp-t10 56.10 - s300
tvd 60m - ti s400
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

16

#167 kgeorge78

kgeorge78

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
  • Joined: 01/03/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 688

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:10 PM

i actually haven't ordered many clubs since u left the business!
2017 M2 10.5 Tour AD DI 6
Mizuno MP 53 3-PW

Vokey SM2 52 56 60
Scotty Newport

17

#168 Dizz

Dizz

    J.W.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:05 AM

View Postkgeorge78, on 27 June 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

i actually haven't ordered many clubs since u left the business!

KG!!!! Good to hear from you... I am going to send you a PM shortly.

So what is in the bag these days?  Is your signature correct?  If so that is basically the exact same setup you played before I left the biz.  You have pretty much played the same specs for the last 5+ years now... DI-6 in the driver & DI-7 in the fairway (usually in whatever the new model TM woods but could be the newest PING G series or Titleist 900 series), then S300's in the newest model AP2 setup 3-PW and finally S400 (occasionally see S300) in Vokey 52, 56 and 60 wedges.  To round out the putter, it can change but generally its the newest Cameron putter available and I'd bet its either a shop worn Newport 2 or possibly the most squared shape mallet of the newest, most available mallet line-up.

I will probably always have your specs memorized Kevin... I will NEVER forget.  I'll bet I ordered those EXACT same specs over and over again in different heads over 50 times top-to-bottom over the years.
XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"

18

#169 Dizz

Dizz

    J.W.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:11 AM

Here is a pic of the Sunday Bag with my FRESH Limited Edition BombSquadGolf.com headcover.  If it is against the rules I can remove...

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_0176.JPG

XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"

19

#170 FAbb

FAbb

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125500
  • Joined: 03/29/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 14462

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:58 AM

Oh, man.  Bringing back some memories with the BSG talk lol.

Bag looks great, Dizz!  Glad to see you're enjoying the game again.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#171 kgeorge78

kgeorge78

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
  • Joined: 01/03/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 688

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:57 AM

View PostDizz, on 29 June 2017 - 01:05 AM, said:

View Postkgeorge78, on 27 June 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

i actually haven't ordered many clubs since u left the business!

KG!!!! Good to hear from you... I am going to send you a PM shortly.

So what is in the bag these days?  Is your signature correct?  If so that is basically the exact same setup you played before I left the biz.  You have pretty much played the same specs for the last 5+ years now... DI-6 in the driver & DI-7 in the fairway (usually in whatever the new model TM woods but could be the newest PING G series or Titleist 900 series), then S300's in the newest model AP2 setup 3-PW and finally S400 (occasionally see S300) in Vokey 52, 56 and 60 wedges.  To round out the putter, it can change but generally its the newest Cameron putter available and I'd bet its either a shop worn Newport 2 or possibly the most squared shape mallet of the newest, most available mallet line-up.

I will probably always have your specs memorized Kevin... I will NEVER forget.  I'll bet I ordered those EXACT same specs over and over again in different heads over 50 times top-to-bottom over the years.

haha u got it man.  And you can bet I'll have the Same specs in the AP2 718 haha

Shoot u a text in a few.

Good to hear your doing well.
2017 M2 10.5 Tour AD DI 6
Mizuno MP 53 3-PW

Vokey SM2 52 56 60
Scotty Newport

21

#172 Dizz

Dizz

    J.W.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

View PostFAbb, on 29 June 2017 - 04:58 AM, said:

Oh, man.  Bringing back some memories with the BSG talk lol.

Bag looks great, Dizz!  Glad to see you're enjoying the game again.

Good ole BSG... those were the glory years, LOL.  Todd was truly something else.  I am pretty sure you were a member of BSG back then... I vaguely remember your name being somewhat similar... and I remember you always had a Virginia Tech logo.  Am I thinking of the same person?  My name back on BSG was Jwill... I sorta wish I could go back in time and rip open the UPS box that contained my first tour only driver-- the 300 Tour HOLY GRAIL!!  I was only sixteen at the time so it was pretty exciting for me... it took months of saving to be able to pull the trigger on that one.  $400 for a driver seemed crazy back then but then the 300 Tour came out and they jumped up to $699 if I recall correctly.
XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"

22

#173 FAbb

FAbb

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125500
  • Joined: 03/29/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 14462

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:11 AM

Yep, I was on there in my early teenage years as well.  Abbblade24 was my screen name there.

Todd tried to rip me off on a shaft pull once.  Cashed my money order (pre PayPal days lol), and acted like he never got it.  Luckily you could somehow get the info on whether a money order was cashed, and actually get a copy of the signed order.  It was either him or his wife that cashed it.  Needless to say, he couldn't really deny it any more at that point.

I bought my first tour issue club on there as well.  Like you, it was a big deal for me to save up and buy that thing.  It was an R7 Tour, and I bought it from one of the more well known members, Fred something.  Younger guy.

23

#174 Dizz

Dizz

    J.W.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:09 PM

View PostFAbb, on 29 June 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

Yep, I was on there in my early teenage years as well.  Abbblade24 was my screen name there.

Todd tried to rip me off on a shaft pull once.  Cashed my money order (pre PayPal days lol), and acted like he never got it.  Luckily you could somehow get the info on whether a money order was cashed, and actually get a copy of the signed order.  It was either him or his wife that cashed it.  Needless to say, he couldn't really deny it any more at that point.

I bought my first tour issue club on there as well.  Like you, it was a big deal for me to save up and buy that thing.  It was an R7 Tour, and I bought it from one of the more well known members, Fred something.  Younger guy.

LOL, that doesn't surprise me at all about that whole money order thing... and by the way I'm laughing because I sent him a money order once too before I had PayPal... not at your misfortune.  I remember when I finally got my mom to sign up for a PayPal account but let me use it I was so pumped because I could give her money and actually use the BST.  It was then that I became OBSESSED with tinkering with clubs and my mom actually got me a credit card with a $1500 limit on for Christmas... and I was allowed to use it as long as I made payments on time.  We actually still laugh and joke around about that today since I've done probably 10,000 transactions with PayPal for golf clubs by now.  Oh, and I remember Todd's PayPal name back then was "cardboardheroes" since he was a baseball, basketball and football sports card re-seller... LOL.
XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"

24

#175 Dizz

Dizz

    J.W.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:39 PM

Anyway guys, MY BAG IS SET!!!

Seriously though, I have 10 clubs in my Titleist Sunday Bag and I think I'm happy!

Titleist 917D3 (9.5)- Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8X @ 44.5", D3+
Titleist 716CB (3), Titleist 716MB (5-PW)- Dynamic Gold S400
Titleist Vokey SM6 RAW TVD (58.12K bent to 57 degrees)- S400
Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport 2 @ 34"with Cameron No Cord grip

I played golf league on Wednesday night and shot a -6 30... with those 10 clubs.  I hadn't played in 7 days since the last 9-hole league... it was a great night.  On the 9th hole I had about a 12 footer for EAGLE to shoot 29.  I left it about 1/2" short... seriously, half of an inch!!!  I hit 7/9 GIR, I had half to 3/4 PW shots on the first two holes that I actually spun off the front of both greens but after that I hit so many awesome iron and wedge shots.  I finished with 6 straight birdies... not too bad for 10 clubs LOL!!!

Full disclosure, the course is just a little City Municipal Golf Course.... we do play the back tees which was completely tipped out and its still only around 3000 yards.  Both par 5's are right around 500 yards and there is really only two holes that can play tricky depending on the conditions.  Fun course to play, lot of risk & reward style holes where you can make easy birdies by being aggressive in certain spots.  By no means is this a tough course where you're hitting mid-to-long irons into tough greens with pins tucked... but it was cool to shoot 30 nonetheless... although it is slightly longer than a normal pitch & putt.  I hit all 7 fairways, 7/9 GIR and 11 putts for a nice -6 30.  I was hoping for my first ever 29!!

The guys on the team I was playing against were brand new to the league-- and brand new to the area so I had never had a chance to play with them until that night. They were both actually sold local players... guys that shoot anywhere from 35-40 or so and you know they only play once... maybe twice per week if they sub for another league.  These are obviously guys that like to have a few beers and enjoy themselves but you know if they actually found time to play and practice they would be even better.  They were dumbfounded though and were actually rooting for me by the last two holes when they figured out 29 was possible.  I thought it was pretty cool that they stopped caring about winning the match and actually wanted me to shoot my first ever 29.

I have been having a lot of fun playing golf so far this year.

XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"

25

#176 minteq

minteq

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15455
  • Joined: 06/13/2006
  • Location:Cleveland, Oh
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 458

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:47 AM

View PostDizz, on 08 July 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

Anyway guys, MY BAG IS SET!!!

Seriously though, I have 10 clubs in my Titleist Sunday Bag and I think I'm happy!

Titleist 917D3 (9.5)- Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8X @ 44.5", D3+
Titleist 716CB (3), Titleist 716MB (5-PW)- Dynamic Gold S400
Titleist Vokey SM6 RAW TVD (58.12K bent to 57 degrees)- S400
Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport 2 @ 34"with Cameron No Cord grip

I played golf league on Wednesday night and shot a -6 30... with those 10 clubs.  I hadn't played in 7 days since the last 9-hole league... it was a great night.  On the 9th hole I had about a 12 footer for EAGLE to shoot 29.  I left it about 1/2" short... seriously, half of an inch!!!  I hit 7/9 GIR, I had half to 3/4 PW shots on the first two holes that I actually spun off the front of both greens but after that I hit so many awesome iron and wedge shots.  I finished with 6 straight birdies... not too bad for 10 clubs LOL!!!

Full disclosure, the course is just a little City Municipal Golf Course.... we do play the back tees which was completely tipped out and its still only around 3000 yards.  Both par 5's are right around 500 yards and there is really only two holes that can play tricky depending on the conditions.  Fun course to play, lot of risk & reward style holes where you can make easy birdies by being aggressive in certain spots.  By no means is this a tough course where you're hitting mid-to-long irons into tough greens with pins tucked... but it was cool to shoot 30 nonetheless... although it is slightly longer than a normal pitch & putt.  I hit all 7 fairways, 7/9 GIR and 11 putts for a nice -6 30.  I was hoping for my first ever 29!!

The guys on the team I was playing against were brand new to the league-- and brand new to the area so I had never had a chance to play with them until that night. They were both actually sold local players... guys that shoot anywhere from 35-40 or so and you know they only play once... maybe twice per week if they sub for another league.  These are obviously guys that like to have a few beers and enjoy themselves but you know if they actually found time to play and practice they would be even better.  They were dumbfounded though and were actually rooting for me by the last two holes when they figured out 29 was possible.  I thought it was pretty cool that they stopped caring about winning the match and actually wanted me to shoot my first ever 29.

I have been having a lot of fun playing golf so far this year.

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself again, and playing great golf.
Titleist 917D3 9.5 Diamana D+
Titleist 917F2 16.4 deg
Titleist 718 AP2 4-pw
Titleist SM7 56/60
SC Select Newport
Titleist ProV1

26

#177 Dizz

Dizz

    J.W.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:20 AM

View PostTheSphynx, on 09 July 2017 - 08:10 AM, said:

What course are you playing for the league?

I'm not in Northeast Ohio anymore... more like Northwest Ohio.  I live in the city of Sandusky which is where I was born & raised.  The course I am talking about is Mills Creek Golf Course... I grew up playing this gem in the heart of downtown Sandusky.  It is owned by the city of Sandusky so its just a nice little municipal course...  I've probably played it 500+ times, its a 9 hole course that is technically the only course within the city limits.  The City Championship is held at Mills Creek as well & its a very fun tournament with a 27 hole qualifier where the top 15 scores make the match play bracket so the tournament is decided by both stroke & match play.  The previous year's winner does not have to play in the qualifier and is automatically the #1 seed in the bracket.  The 18 hole course is setup by playing the blue tees as a par 36 and the white tees as a par 35 so that you're not playing exactly the same course twice.  The 8th hole is a short-ish par 4 from the white tees but with a CRAZY green (the most slope I have EVER seen on a golf course) that is only about 300-305 yards but there is a creek directly in front of the green so you have to fly your tee shot 295-300 yards (Bushnell laser approved, LOL) so most people would just layup with their 200 yard club to leave a straightforward 100 yard wedge shot.  So, they moved the tee up to the women's red tee markers which makes it a 195-215 yard par 3 depending upon where exactly they place the markers... which is obviously also a forced carry.  It turns that hole into a par 3, which makes it a par 35... and really makes for an excellent hole with a very challenging shot.  I wi0tnessed a TON of meltdowns on that hole by players close to the bubble of getting into the match play bracket.  I remember about 8 years ago, a young kid in my group went into his 26th hole at +1 for the entire day and left double digits over par at +10.  I genuinely felt bad for him because just a slight miss-hit on that tee box and more than likely you're in the water which turns the hole into a mental disaster after the first or second water ball.  That same year I was not hitting the ball very well but I was scoring very well because I was putting unbelievably well-- and of course you can fake your way through it at Mills at times because you're hitting mostly drivers and short irons/wedges so unless you did something stupid you didn't have to hit a 4 or 5 iron from a tight lie and I was birding the par 5's. I was -1 for the day and I decided to  just hit a 9 iron off the tee on that par 3... so yes I hit 9 iron from 210 yards... to lay up... on a par 3.  You definitely don't do that very often... but I wedged it to 3 feet and made par anyway.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on.... are you familiar with Mills Creek?
XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"

27

#178 Dizz

Dizz

    J.W.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 21 July 2017 - 02:05 PM

I found my old G20 in my closet, forgot that I brought it home with me when I moved back here... it was my favorite driver of all time.  I put it back in my bag yesterday and remembered why... I absolutely smoked this thing all day yesterday.  I hit it about 8-10 paces passed my 917 on the courses side-by-side. It launches on a similar trajectory but the flight is so hot and flat... it bounces almost head high a lot of the time.

My rep got it built for me in PING's Tour Department by the same guy that built the top tour players clubs... this was 3-4 years ago now.  But I remember when I got this thing... I hit it good right away... and it took 3 swings to be firmly in my bag...  At that time I was playing tournament golf and had a driver that had been in my bag for over a year so replacing it in 3 swings was a big deal.  This time around it only took 3 swings as well but with nothing really riding on the situation expect 9 holes with friends-- its not really a big deal anymore.

The specs:

G20 8.5 head (digitally lofted to 9.25 degrees, with a face angle 0.5-0.75 degrees open)
Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.2 Tour Spec X Flex
44.75", D3+ swingweight with Golf Pride Tour Velvet 58R logo up

The club came perfect... and I was thrilled... at that time that shaft wasn't popular as it was just coming out.  My rep and I were very good friends and he told me he was going to custom order it for me because he was positive that it would be perfect for me.  He also said that when he got to test it the week before that he was 100% positive that it would BLOW UP on tour and everyone would start using it once one guy had success with it.  Everyone knows the PGA Tour is a copycat league when it comes to equipment and success.  There were no demos of it at the time and it was considered exotic and PING said it would take 4-8 weeks to fulfill because they had to source the shaft.  He got another favor done for me and had his buddy pull one from the tour van so I could have it in 3-4 days.  Long story short he was right, the shaft was perfect for me... and it blew up on tour a few weeks later and is still one of the most popular shafts out there.  One of the ultimate low/low shafts ever made... IMO especially...

:drinks: :drinks:  Here's to this driver never leaving the bag again.... for the 2nd or 10th time now.... LOL... :drinks: :drinks:
XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"

28

#179 minteq

minteq

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15455
  • Joined: 06/13/2006
  • Location:Cleveland, Oh
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 458

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:46 AM

View PostDizz, on 21 July 2017 - 02:05 PM, said:

I found my old G20 in my closet, forgot that I brought it home with me when I moved back here... it was my favorite driver of all time.  I put it back in my bag yesterday and remembered why... I absolutely smoked this thing all day yesterday.  I hit it about 8-10 paces passed my 917 on the courses side-by-side. It launches on a similar trajectory but the flight is so hot and flat... it bounces almost head high a lot of the time.

My rep got it built for me in PING's Tour Department by the same guy that built the top tour players clubs... this was 3-4 years ago now.  But I remember when I got this thing... I hit it good right away... and it took 3 swings to be firmly in my bag...  At that time I was playing tournament golf and had a driver that had been in my bag for over a year so replacing it in 3 swings was a big deal.  This time around it only took 3 swings as well but with nothing really riding on the situation expect 9 holes with friends-- its not really a big deal anymore.

The specs:

G20 8.5 head (digitally lofted to 9.25 degrees, with a face angle 0.5-0.75 degrees open)
Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.2 Tour Spec X Flex
44.75", D3+ swingweight with Golf Pride Tour Velvet 58R logo up

The club came perfect... and I was thrilled... at that time that shaft wasn't popular as it was just coming out.  My rep and I were very good friends and he told me he was going to custom order it for me because he was positive that it would be perfect for me.  He also said that when he got to test it the week before that he was 100% positive that it would BLOW UP on tour and everyone would start using it once one guy had success with it.  Everyone knows the PGA Tour is a copycat league when it comes to equipment and success.  There were no demos of it at the time and it was considered exotic and PING said it would take 4-8 weeks to fulfill because they had to source the shaft.  He got another favor done for me and had his buddy pull one from the tour van so I could have it in 3-4 days.  Long story short he was right, the shaft was perfect for me... and it blew up on tour a few weeks later and is still one of the most popular shafts out there.  One of the ultimate low/low shafts ever made... IMO especially...

:drinks: :drinks:  Here's to this driver never leaving the bag again.... for the 2nd or 10th time now.... LOL... :drinks: :drinks:

Always great to go back to your old faithful.
Titleist 917D3 9.5 Diamana D+
Titleist 917F2 16.4 deg
Titleist 718 AP2 4-pw
Titleist SM7 56/60
SC Select Newport
Titleist ProV1

29

#180 Dizz

Dizz

    J.W.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
  • Joined: 06/21/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 2342

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:15 PM

Well guys, sorry for the boring updates.  I got a HUGE promotion at work that I am thrilled about and I absolutely LOVE the new role so I haven't had as much time to play as I wanted to earlier in the season.

But I am finally up to 12 clubs now which is the most I've had in a long time but I think the setup is damn near perfect for what I am trying to accomplish.  I added an original Adams DHy utility iron at 24 degrees with the stock Matrix White Tie in extra stiff flex.

So here we go:

Titleist 917D2 (8.5)- Fujikura Speeder 661X @ 44.5", Tour Velvet 58R, D3
Titleist 816H1 (17)- Speeder 8.8X @ 40.75", Tour Velvet 58R, D2
Adams DHy (4)- Matrix White Tie 95X
Titleist 716MB (5-PW)- Dynamic Gold S400
Titleist SM6 TVD RAW (54S & 58K)- S400
Scotty Cameron Squareback @ 34"

What do you guys think?  Could you be happy playing only 10 or 12 clubs?  How much would your score change if at all playing less than the maximum??

XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors