Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Most Underrated Course Played

75 replies to this topic

#1 DoubleorQuits

DoubleorQuits

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348651
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:06 PM

I'll reverse the current Most Overrated Course thread and ask what course really exceeded your expectations as a really great layout?

For me, the Course at Yale blew me away just a fun, quirky and bold course on a huge scale with great movement.  Hope to get back there soon.

Edited by DoubleorQuits, 12 August 2015 - 01:06 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 MichiganMan

MichiganMan

HAIL TO THE VICTORS! GO BLUE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 243301
  • Handicap:+1
  • Ebay ID:blamert
GolfWRX Likes : 674

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:28 PM

1. Indian Creek CC in Miami - that place was immaculate. The clubhouse was spectacular. The course was in phenomenal shape and it had amazing view of downtown and a lot of other parts of the city. Never understood how it's only ranked like #19 in the state of FL. Might be because it's extremely private, but there are plenty of similarly private courses well listed.

2. Pilgrim's Run in Pierson, MI - one of my favorite tracks. Can't believe it doesn't get better recognition. I don't know a single person who didn't enjoy the course and from the people I know, it's often given much better reviews than St. Ives or Tullymore.

I'll also throw in Forest Akers-West, the home course of Michigan State. All rivalries aside, it's a fantastic course in my opinion.

Edited by MichiganMan, 12 August 2015 - 01:31 PM.

Callaway Epic 10.5* - Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70x
Nike Vapor Speed 15* - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Taylormade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5 or Nike Vapor Speed 19* - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Nike Vapor Pro 3-PW - TT Dynamic Gold S300
Nike Engage 54* SS & 58* DS - TT Dynamic Gold S400
Custom Nike Method 001
Taylormade TP5x

#3 zer0

zer0

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 229643
  • Ebay ID:orzoff123
GolfWRX Likes : 660

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:56 PM

1.  Lawsonia Links:  Hard to call Golfweek's #2 rated course in Wisconsin underrated, but I think it fits that category because every time I mention that ranking I get met with raised eyebrows from people who haven't played it, but refuse to believe it's a better course than Erin Hills and BlackWolf Run.   Just because a course only costs $90 at peak doesn't mean its worse than a course that costs $350.  I personally think its one of the best public courses in the USA...I've already played it 8x this summer and every time I walk off the course I can't wait to get back out there and try to do better.  Its one of those courses that the mroe you play it, the more you "get it".

#4 jptruck

jptruck

Tour Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 227635
GolfWRX Likes : 263

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:19 PM

1) California Golf Club,  San Francisco
2) Yeamans Hall
3) The Upper Course at Baltusrol
4) Sankaty Head
5) Dove Mountain (I think this course gets a bad rap.  I really like it).

#5 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 1989

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:33 PM

Forest Dunes and that's easy for me.  Not sure how it fell out of the top 100 of golf digest's list.  It's flat out a incredible layout.  So many risk/reward holes.  Most every hole on the course is memorable.  Great mix of wooded holes and sand dune holes.  My favorite course to play in the country.

Another is the Tribute at Otsego in Michigan.  It's a great layout and is cheap.  It's half as the Treetops courses, it's better than the treetops courses and it's next to them.

Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 910F 19*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi BB40

#6 MichiganMan

MichiganMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:54 PM

View PostSilverBullets, on 12 August 2015 - 02:33 PM, said:

Forest Dunes and that's easy for me.  Not sure how it fell out of the top 100 of golf digest's list.  It's flat out a incredible layout.  So many risk/reward holes.  Most every hole on the course is memorable.  Great mix of wooded holes and sand dune holes.  My favorite course to play in the country.

Another is the Tribute at Otsego in Michigan.  It's a great layout and is cheap.  It's half as the Treetops courses, it's better than the treetops courses and it's next to them.

Considering playing Forest Dunes in October. Only thing holding me back is that they're scheduled to aerify their greens a week before my trip. Not sure I want the first time I play the course to be with plugged greens.
Taylormade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5 or Nike Vapor Speed 19* - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Custom Nike Method 001
Taylormade TP5x

#7 Grizz06

Grizz06

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378624
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:01 PM

A few come to mind that most of you probably have never heard of

Steelwood CC, Loxley, AL -  I could play it everyday; this came highly regarded but was way better than expected

Conestoga, Mesquite, NV -  I don't dislike Wolf Creek as much as some here do but I like this course much, much better.

Spring Hill, MN - I knew this would be nice but I didn't think I would love anything in the TC Metro this much

#8 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:07 PM

View PostMichiganMan, on 12 August 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

Considering playing Forest Dunes in October. Only thing holding me back is that they're scheduled to aerify their greens a week before my trip. Not sure I want the first time I play the course to be with plugged greens.

That's always a tough call.  It's one of the most maticulously manicured courses I have played.  It's virtually perfect.  So playing it with likely sand packed, bumpy greens may take that aspect away from it.  If you are going to be able to make it back to that area in the future I would say wait and play it when it's prestine.  If it's the only time you envision being in that area for a long time, I would play it and just level set your expectations for the greens.  It will still be a very enjoyable day.  The clubhouse and grill room are fantastic.  The layout itself is great.  It's very remote smack dab in the middle of a national forest/park.  It's a great place even if they have bumpy greens.
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 910F 19*
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi BB40

#9 MichiganMan

MichiganMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:14 PM

View PostSilverBullets, on 12 August 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

That's always a tough call.  It's one of the most maticulously manicured courses I have played.  It's virtually perfect.  So playing it with likely sand packed, bumpy greens may take that aspect away from it.  If you are going to be able to make it back to that area in the future I would say wait and play it when it's prestine.  If it's the only time you envision being in that area for a long time, I would play it and just level set your expectations for the greens.  It will still be a very enjoyable day.  The clubhouse and grill room are fantastic.  The layout itself is great.  It's very remote smack dab in the middle of a national forest/park.  It's a great place even if they have bumpy greens.

That's kind of what I was thinking. My parents live about 2 hours from there, so I imagine I'll consider playing there with my dad in the future. Just thought since I was going to be playing a bunch of golf with my dad, we'd consider playing there but when I looked on their website and saw their aerification schedule I was a little bummed.

Going to play Arcadia Bluffs, Pilgrims Run, and probably Marshall CC since my best friend is the head pro there. Not a bad little stretch before heading to Treetops for my buddies bachelor party/wedding.
Custom Nike Method 001
Taylormade TP5x

#10 Sixcat

Sixcat

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
GolfWRX Likes : 751

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:17 PM

Palmetto Golf Club, Aiken, SC. if you can consider it underrated.

Charlotte Golf Links was underrated for the time it was well maintained.  The last few years it was open, the condition was let go some and lost some appeal.  It was one of the first courses Tom Doak designed after leaving Pete Dye.  Interesting and unique given it's "links" feel and look on the south side of Charlotte.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 soberguy16

soberguy16

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22947
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

Essex County CC in NJ...challenging but get-able layout that you'll never get sick of playing

#12 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
GolfWRX Likes : 1709

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

Rustic Canyon

#13 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,472 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:39 PM

View PostMichiganMan, on 12 August 2015 - 03:14 PM, said:

That's kind of what I was thinking. My parents live about 2 hours from there, so I imagine I'll consider playing there with my dad in the future. Just thought since I was going to be playing a bunch of golf with my dad, we'd consider playing there but when I looked on their website and saw their aerification schedule I was a little bummed.

Going to play Arcadia Bluffs, Pilgrims Run, and probably Marshall CC since my best friend is the head pro there. Not a bad little stretch before heading to Treetops for my buddies bachelor party/wedding.

When you're at treetops try to sneak a round in at The Tribute.  IMO it's better than anything treetops has to offer and is cheaper.  (It's on my post for underrated tracks haha)
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 910F 19*
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi BB40

#14 oregongolf

oregongolf

Hall of Fame

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15806
GolfWRX Likes : 649

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:19 PM

Cal Club.

Edited by oregongolf, 12 August 2015 - 06:20 PM.

#15 FairwayFred

FairwayFred

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149
GolfWRX Likes : 993

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:30 PM

Some great suggestions in this thread.  Ill agree with the following that were named:

Yale, Lawsonia Links, Cal Club.

Ill add Orchard Lake CC and Kittansett.

9* Callaway GBB Epic w Fujikura Speeder Platinum 6
9° Cobra LTD w/ Kuro Kage XT 70
10.5* Taylor Made Mini Driver Tour w Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2
10.75* Nike Vapor TW w Aldila Rogue 125 MSI Tour
9.5* Taylor Made M1 440 w Kuro Kage TiNi 60
9* Callaway 816 DBD w Aldila Rogue i/o 60
9* Ping G LS Tech w Project X Handmade
10.5* A Grind Classic 350 w Oban Izawa 60
10.5* Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero w Aldila Rogue MAX 75
9* Bridgestone Tour B XD7 w Fujikura Speeder Platinum 6
9.5* Mizuno JPX 900 w Ozik TP6HD
9.5* Nike Flex 440 w Kuro Kage XT 60
9.5* Taylor Made Tour Issue M2 w Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo 3
9.5* Taylor Made 2017 M2 w Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo 2

FREE AGENT CLUB HO

#16 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
GolfWRX Likes : 883

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:50 PM

Stone Eagle in Palm Desert, CA.    Amazing topography, fantastic mix of holes and elevation changes, sweeping views and the turf quality is finer than Bighorn and The Quarry.  Not a single mention of this place when discussing desert golf.

Orinda CC in Orinda, CA.  Not a long course but a devilish, fiendish little tract that will test your patience, ball-striking and intestinal fortitude. Conditions are immaculate, just superb.

Green Hills CC in Millbrae, CA .. Again, not a long course but you've got to be on your game. Old school golf. Love it.

Bandon Trails...this red-headed step-child gets no respect whatsoever. None. I personally love it.  I think it's better than Bandon Dunes, which to me, belongs on the other Most Overrated list.

#17 hollabachgt

hollabachgt

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38283
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 251

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:52 PM

View Postjptruck, on 12 August 2015 - 02:19 PM, said:

2) Yeamans Hall
4) Sankaty Head

Its hard to say if places like Cal Club, Yeamans, and Sankaty are underrated as when discussed they always get high praise. They lack a lot of outside discussion and play, which hurts their notoriety. I would presume thats exactly how those clubs like it.

#18 Chomper

Chomper

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,004 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 304871
GolfWRX Likes : 342

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:24 AM

Olde Stonewall in Cranberry Township, PA, is a fantastic course - great conditions, great greens, very cool clubhouse/castle. Public, might be a bit pricey, but a very enjoyable course and a good test of golf.

Edited by dlaugust, 13 August 2015 - 12:25 AM.

#19 Kenny Lee Puckett

Kenny Lee Puckett

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379660
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 2226

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:31 AM

IMO not buying California Club as ever being "underrated", and that's even amongst all the Bay Area gems. now name drop a Meadow Club or a Sharon Heights G&CC and you're showing that you really know their scene.

https://youtu.be/mFSBWbgrfUk

Edited by Kenny Lee Puckett, 13 August 2015 - 08:25 AM.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be  video on course practice 5/2016

Ping G LST: PING Tour 80
Ping Anser 4wd: Accra S3-80 RT
PXG 0317 Hybrid: Fujikura 8D07HB

Ping iBlade 4-PW: Dynamic Gold Tour Issue
Ping Glide  2.0  50/54/58 SS: DG Tour Issue
Ping Anser F Ti pixel

Ping 703 +3 wraps/Pingman putter grip
Ping Sensor glove/Srixon 2017 Z-Star XV
Ping Hoofer 2016 bag

#20 Kenny Lee Puckett

Kenny Lee Puckett

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379660
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 2226

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:48 AM

now I'll contribute instead of just critique. we'll go southern CA all the way down to Carlsbad. an epic course anyone can get a tee time on and you don't hear mentioned nationally too often.   Aviara Golf Club.

Edited by Kenny Lee Puckett, 13 August 2015 - 12:54 AM.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be  video on course practice 5/2016

Ping G LST: PING Tour 80
Ping Anser 4wd: Accra S3-80 RT
PXG 0317 Hybrid: Fujikura 8D07HB

Ping iBlade 4-PW: Dynamic Gold Tour Issue
Ping Glide  2.0  50/54/58 SS: DG Tour Issue
Ping Anser F Ti pixel

Ping 703 +3 wraps/Pingman putter grip
Ping Sensor glove/Srixon 2017 Z-Star XV
Ping Hoofer 2016 bag

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 oregongolf

oregongolf

Hall of Fame

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,813 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15806
GolfWRX Likes : 649

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:02 AM

Good call. Meadow Club is way underrated. One of my favorites in Norcal.

#22 Napkin2011

Napkin2011

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148467
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:01 AM

I'd say World Woods Pine Barrens. I loved every hole there, and I played it in June for $30, and the ranger told me and my father they were slow, so if we wanted to play it again to just go ahead - no charge. I've never played a better bargain. I mean, in the summer, you could play it 15 times for the price of one round at Doral Blue?   It's a bit middle of nowhere so never gets mentioned.
Cobra Fly Z+, Matrix white tie
Ping G25 17, stock stiff
Cobra AMP 19, RIP
Callaway Apex 5-PW KBS Tour
Scor 48, Vokey 52, 56
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

#23 jptruck

jptruck

Tour Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:10 AM

View Posthollabachgt, on 12 August 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

View Postjptruck, on 12 August 2015 - 02:19 PM, said:

2) Yeamans Hall
4) Sankaty Head

Its hard to say if places like Cal Club, Yeamans, and Sankaty are underrated as when discussed they always get high praise. They lack a lot of outside discussion and play, which hurts their notoriety. I would presume thats exactly how those clubs like it.

Maybe, but looking at "rankings" lists and such, they are generally considered second fiddle.   If I had a choice, I'd play Cal Club, Yeamans, Upper or Sankaty over a LOT of courses in the top-50 in the US.  The Upper gets no notoriety because of the Lower

#24 jptruck

jptruck

Tour Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:11 AM

View PostKenny Lee Puckett, on 13 August 2015 - 12:31 AM, said:

IMO not buying California Club as ever being "underrated" even amongst all the Bay Area gems. now name drop a Meadow Club or a Sharon Heights G&CC and you're showing that you really know the scene.

https://youtu.be/mFSBWbgrfUk

I'll take Cal Club over Olympic all day and twice on Sunday, though.

#25 MichiganMan

MichiganMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:46 AM

View PostSilverBullets, on 12 August 2015 - 05:39 PM, said:

View PostMichiganMan, on 12 August 2015 - 03:14 PM, said:

When you're at treetops try to sneak a round in at The Tribute.  IMO it's better than anything treetops has to offer and is cheaper.  (It's on my post for underrated tracks haha)

I'll keep that in mind, but considering I'll be playing 2+ days of golf at Treetops and not spending a dime (my buddy getting married is the head pro at the North), I'll probably just stick to Treetops. :)

Custom Nike Method 001
Taylormade TP5x

#26 oldpalchamp

oldpalchamp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2386
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:19 AM

For me, my favorite course very few have heard of, is The Country Club of York in York, PA.  A terrific Donald Ross design on a beautiful property.  The membership likes to keep a pretty low profile, but they did host the 1998 U.S. Jr.  Hunter Mahan beat Camillo Villegas in the final.

#27 vallygolf

vallygolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366851
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

+1 on Rustic Canyon

Played this on a whim wile I was passing through the area playing some golf.  Not knowing anything beforehand, it had some of the most interesting and challenging green complexes, very hard and fast and unforgiving (Think Pinehurst#2 turtlebacks).  Great course.  Fairway conditioning wasn't spectacular, but the greens were lightning (I played the afternoon after a gateway tour event) probably running close to 12.5-13.  It doesnt pass the flashy eyeball test, but it is a better course than many of your high profile ones.

#28 QMany

QMany

#TheWRX

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,088 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113894
  • Handicap:+2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 5191

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:02 AM

Wild Horse Golf Club, Gothenburg, Nebraska.

Posted Image

Currently in #TheWRX...

Callaway GBB Epic (9°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 70X
Callaway GBB Epic SZ (15°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X

Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
Callaway MD3 (50° 54° 60°) DG S400 TI
Odyssey O Works R-Line
Srixon ZStar XV

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram

#29 DoubleorQuits

DoubleorQuits

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348651
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:08 AM

I hear really good things about Wild Horse.

#30 Enfynet

Enfynet

Bogey Golf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359809
GolfWRX Likes : 247

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:12 AM

I'm going with the best city-owned course I play:

Painesville Country Club

Not a difficult course, but has a good variation of holes.

Power Play Warp Speed 10.5° / Brassie 13° / 5W 18° / Apollo Shadow Graphite RS / Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN Midsize [2750 kg·cm²]
Dynacraft Prophet Tour 4i-PW / Apollo Shadow Lite RS / Lamkin Perma-Wrap ACE 3GEN Midsize
[2825 kg·cm²]
Professional Open 690 Series 52° / 56° / 60° / Apollo Hump S / Winn DriTac Midsize [2825 kg·cm²]
Wright & Ditson Cash-In Putter / Leather wrapped pistol grip [My grandfather's putter]

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors