Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 3 votes

Most Overrated Course

912 replies to this topic

#901 BNGL

BNGL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472816
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:50 PM

View Postadamjstl, on 06 September 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

View Postdan360, on 20 February 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

I still vote for Augusta ....  let's see it open for play 365 days/year and operated outside the little controlled environment of fake utopia that it lives in and see how well it holds up.

Emperor's New Clothes.   It's above average at best when put on the same pedestal with other places.   For crying out loud Pebble Beach and St. Andrews--the entire place, Old Course included--are public courses.

Any chance there has ever been dog s**t on any blade of grass @ Augusta?

I'll never play there, so no worries about banning for opinion but it's really not a golf course as much as it's a private little rich group's playtoy that people are being programmed to think is spectacular.

What do any of your comments have anything to do with the quality of the golf course?

Actually yes there was dog feces on property of Augusta National. I read about a guest that was staying on the property I assume a cabin, (he was a member that went through a bad divorce) and I believe it was chairman Roberts that allowed it. But story goes that the mans dog was pooping on the property, Mr. Roberts approached the man with a broom and bucket saying "we don't need your help, we spend enough on fertilizer" I will find the story and post a link in a follow up. I believe it was in a golf digest masters preview, if anyone can corroborate.

Cobra F7+ 10.5 HZRDOUS Yellow 6.5
Cobra King F7 15.5 HZRDOUS Yellow 6.5
Adams Pro Black 9031DF 16 Fubuki X
Ping G 4,5,6,7 Project X 7.0
Ping i20 8,9 Project X 7.0
Ping Glide 48,52,56,60 Project X 6.5
Ping B60

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#902 SullGolf

SullGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205351
GolfWRX Likes : 8071

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

I'm always amazed with people who can manage to separate the golf course from the experience.  I definitely cannot.  When I played Torrey Pines, it was February and 20 degrees back home, yet I'm playing golf in shorts with this view.  If you rebuilt the place hole for hole in the middle of Iowa, it wouldn't be a notable course I guess.  It was in fantastic condition, with incredibly tough rough, but layout-wise there's no hole that stood out to me as world class if it was elsewhere.  But, well, it's not in a cornfield in Iowa.  It's on prime real estate in Southern California on a bluff overlooking the Pacific, accessible by the public.  There aren't many public courses in the USA that can boast that sort of property.

Personally, I thought Pinehurst #2 was a bit overrated.  Great course and I had a great experience, but I'm not itching to drop $400+ to play it again.  You can finance most of a multi-day non-resort Pinehurst trip for that.  I'd drop the $230 to play Torrey Pines in an instant though.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4g.jpg

#903 Break81

Break81

Broke80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

View PostSullGolf, on 06 September 2017 - 09:29 PM, said:

I'm always amazed with people who can manage to separate the golf course from the experience.  I definitely cannot.  When I played Torrey Pines, it was February and 20 degrees back home, yet I'm playing golf in shorts with this view.  If you rebuilt the place hole for hole in the middle of Iowa, it wouldn't be a notable course I guess.  It was in fantastic condition, with incredibly tough rough, but layout-wise there's no hole that stood out to me as world class if it was elsewhere.  But, well, it's not in a cornfield in Iowa.  It's on prime real estate in Southern California on a bluff overlooking the Pacific, accessible by the public.  There aren't many public courses in the USA that can boast that sort of property.

Personally, I thought Pinehurst #2 was a bit overrated.  Great course and I had a great experience, but I'm not itching to drop $400+ to play it again.  You can finance most of a multi-day non-resort Pinehurst trip for that.  I'd drop the $230 to play Torrey Pines in an instant though.
  That was my point , unless your a San Diego resident , your paying for the name.  No way is it worth $200+

So many other options that are better in the $100 range.  I like Pelican Hills better but it's overpriced as well, but was more interesting than Torrey.

TM M1 - Rouge 60 Stiff
Callaway XR - 4 wood - Rouge w/ RIP tip 60
Callaway BB V-Series 5 wood - Rouge Silver Stiff
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
Nike RZN Tour Platinum / Snell MTB / Srixon XV / TM TP

#904 toddnt

toddnt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8488
GolfWRX Likes : 812

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:54 PM

Absolutely love all the HATE going towards Torrey... Please and Ill say it again, PLEASE don't play it, makes it easier for us resident to get tee times!

#905 knock it close

knock it close

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,821 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101876
  • Handicap:+2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 5203

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

Posted Image

THERE'S A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OVERPRICED AND OVERRATED

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

#906 SullGolf

SullGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205351
GolfWRX Likes : 8071

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:08 PM

View PostBreak81, on 07 September 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

That was my point , unless your a San Diego resident , your paying for the name.  No way is it worth $200+

So many other options that are better in the $100 range.  I like Pelican Hills better but it's overpriced as well, but was more interesting than Torrey.

You missed my point if you think it's the same as what you just said.

#907 Break81

Break81

Broke80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:24 PM

View Posttoddnt, on 07 September 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

Absolutely love all the HATE going towards Torrey... Please and Ill say it again, PLEASE don't play it, makes it easier for us resident to get tee times!
   If I was a resident I would play it often as $60 its a great deal.
TM M1 - Rouge 60 Stiff
Callaway XR - 4 wood - Rouge w/ RIP tip 60
Callaway BB V-Series 5 wood - Rouge Silver Stiff
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
Nike RZN Tour Platinum / Snell MTB / Srixon XV / TM TP

#908 dimitrib

dimitrib

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177630
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:04 AM

By far it has to be glen abbey in Canada where the Canadian open is held

#909 Jasonic

Jasonic

Gamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 277815
  • Handicap:7.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1862

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:16 AM

Torrey pines and gleneagles in Scotland. Both are pretty mediocre layout and not worth the price IMO.
Cobra f7+ 9.5*- Flowerband OG WB 73x
Cobra f7 3/4 wood - 14.5* - Flowerband OG WB 83x
Srixon u45 DI - 20* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Srixon z945 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
TaylorMade Spider Limited Red
KSig or Snell MTB :)

#910 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1145

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:24 AM

I'm always amazed with people who can manage to separate the golf course from the experience.  I definitely cannot.  

I agree and think that 99% of golfers don't have the skill nor the desire to rate courses based on a textbook.  For most of us, it's all about having fun playing golf and that includes the entire experience.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#911 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
GolfWRX Likes : 590

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

View PostJasonic, on 09 September 2017 - 06:16 AM, said:

Gleneagles in Scotland.

I think Gleneagles Kings is generally pretty properly rated (somewhere in the ~40 - 50th range in the UK). It's over-priced, but probably priced about right for being at Gleneagles. The same would be said about dinner at Andrew Fairlie - fully deserves its two stars, but you pay like it's the best in the world.

#912 dimitrib

dimitrib

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177630
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:08 AM

Add angus glen north to that list (Toronto)

#913 2ball

2ball

LEFTY

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15610
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:57 PM

View PostBreak81, on 07 September 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

i had this discussion with my wife at the patio restaurant at the lodge when we were there. Because it is a municipal course does that take away some of the mystique? I think so. The Customer service there is poor, basically that of a muni course with a walk up window and a P.A. system announcing who's on the tee. Next the course itself is not difficult if you can stay out of the bunkers. i hit more than a few wayward shots and still had a look into the greens. Third there isn't really one hole "ON" the ocean, bluffs yes but on the ocean like  a Pebble Beach or the old El Dorado in Cabo San Lucas? No. but ultimately the fact that there is a different price systems for locals vs visitors dilutes its mystique. Great for the locals but the fact that locals can play it for $65.00 pretty much makes it a $65.00 course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors