Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 3 votes

Most Overrated Course


926 replies to this topic

#1 Grizz06

Grizz06

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378624
  • Joined: 06/01/2015
  • Location:Minnesota
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:38 AM

What's the most overrated course(s) you've played?  A course others rave about but you just don't care for.

Interlachen (Edina, MN) - I have friends that think this place is Top 10 worthy but I just don't like the feel.  The guest fees are ridiculous

Hazeltine (Chanhassen, MN) - People love this place and I just find it boring and hard if that's possible.

Rush Creek (Maple Grove, MN) - actually this place is ok but just way overpriced; my feelings would be different if the GF was $60 (which they should be).

Craft Farms (Gulf Shores, AL) - this place is in excellent shape most of the time, all my pals love it, I play great there and I still walk off thinking I wish I went someplace else.


Disclaimer: all these places are great just not for me.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 puttnforthe8

puttnforthe8

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88323
  • Joined: 07/13/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 430

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:40 AM

Edgewood Tahoe by far!!  over $200 and it is a joke start to finish.  Not to mention the horrible customer service.

2

#3 exgolfpro

exgolfpro

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45140
  • Joined: 01/05/2008
  • Location:Desloge, Missouri
  • Ebay ID:exgolfpro
GolfWRX Likes : 152

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:29 AM

Of the courses that I have played that others would have heard of, TPC Southwind (Memphis) was the most disappointing.  After leaving the course, I couldn't remember a few of the holes and the maintenance of the course was what you would find and most good public courses in your home town.  

Disclaimer:  I believe they have remodelled the course since I played there, so things may have changed.

3

#4 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Joined: 06/22/2015
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 4224

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:41 AM

I'll get grief for this, but Quintero is way overrated IMO. Was also underwhelmed by The Boulders, which has actually not received much acclaim lately locally, but in the past has caused premature emissions by golf writers.

4

#5 RichieHunt

RichieHunt

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209355
  • Joined: 10/30/2012
  • Location:Cocoa Beach, FL
GolfWRX Likes : 2417

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:59 AM

Somerset Hills was disappointing.  I liked the course, but I just didn't see it as a top-100 golf course.  I think because Tillinghast designed it and because of its age people overrated it.

Kings North in Myrtle Beach is pretty overrated as well.  I'm a fan of Palmer designs, but this is probably one of his weaker designs IMO and it's considered a 'must play' course in Myrtle.  I remember in '98 they were charging $100 greens fees in the summer on TEMPORARY GREENS.

I would say the same for Pawleys Plantation.  I liked some of the holes, but some of it gets really goofy.

Chateau Elan is not a bad course, but I found it pretty bland and wide open.  It's typical Atlanta, tell people it's great and overprice it with a wine vineyard and they'll show up in droves.  I would much rather go up the road and play Cateechee for half the price and have a much better designed course with better views.





RH


5

#6 pinkyfoool

pinkyfoool

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 334613
  • Joined: 08/18/2014
  • Location:San Pedro, CA
  • Handicap:1.7
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:01 AM

Wolf creek in Mesquite, NV. Its a beautiful course to look at, I just did not enjoy my round at all. Very gimmicky

6

#7 vallygolf

vallygolf

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366851
  • Joined: 03/17/2015
  • Location:az
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:27 AM

Top 3

Trump Doral Blue Monster (renovations improved it, but so blah) after awhile the whole fairway and green with rolled edges into the water gets old.  I actually preferred the Red Tiger.  Silver Fox was still under construction when I played.
Trump LA: More good shots rewarded with poor lies/problems than any course I have ever played
Whistling Straits (Dare I say it this week) Probably one of the worst conditioned courses I have paid so much to play.  If I could get out to play it this week I might feel differently. layout and design was amazing.

7

#8 MichiganMan

MichiganMan

    HAIL TO THE VICTORS! GO BLUE!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 243301
  • Joined: 04/06/2013
  • Location:Winston-Salem, NC
  • Handicap:+1
  • Ebay ID:blamert
GolfWRX Likes : 816

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:28 AM

1. Doral. I had played a number of PGA Tour courses prior to playing there and had high expectations, especially considering how great of a field it draws each year. When I was finished I was extremely disappointed. Course condition wasn't that great and the course was overall pretty manageable (even on a fairly windy day).

2. Poppy Hills. Being one of the Pebble Courses I thought this would be a great track. And while in great condition, it just wasn't anything special. I see courses like that everywhere I go in Northern Michigan.

Disclaimer: I played Doral pre-Trump renovations, so it may be a lot better now.

Edited by MichiganMan, 12 August 2015 - 11:30 AM.

TaylorMade M3 9.5* - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7x
Nike Vapor Speed 15* - Fujikura Rombax P95X
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5 or Nike Vapor Speed 19* - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Nike Vapor Pro 3-PW - TT Dynamic Gold S300
TaylorMade Antique Bronze Milled Grind 54* SB - TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS 610
Custom Nike Method 001 or Toulon San Diego
TaylorMade TP5x #1 TROY

8

#9 VNutz

VNutz

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116888
  • Joined: 10/31/2010
  • Location:Chicago Burbs
GolfWRX Likes : 2811

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

Tullymore in Northern Michigan gets my vote. My group of buddies used to play one upper tier northern MI course a year, and each one of us walked away disappointed and underwhelmed by this course. I don't hate the course, just walked out saying that wasn't nearly as good as I thought it would be.

9

#10 Tarheelnation3

Tarheelnation3

    Golfer's Delight

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126682
  • Joined: 04/14/2011
  • Location:California
GolfWRX Likes : 360

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

Pelican Hill (Orange County California)
Trump (Los Angeles)

Driver: Callaway Rogue w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6S
Fairway Wood: Callaway Rogue w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 21* w/ Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White XS
Irons: Srixon 765/Nippon Modus3 120
Wedges: 50F*/55K*/60M* Raw Hand Ground Vokey Wedges (hand ground by the man himself)
Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Toolbox and Aloha Special/Kari Lajosi Electric Blue Damascus/Other Assorted putters

I love Golf, Scotch, and Cigars. Why? Because I'm a man.

FOLLOW MY IG ACCOUNT AT: Tarheelnation3

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 jay65

jay65

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206889
  • Joined: 10/12/2012
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 1418

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:43 AM

Trump Turnberry. Played twice, just to make sure I wasn't dreaming the first time round. 5 good holes, the rest decidedly average to poor. Unrepaired divots that were days old, all for the princely sum of $400!! Lovely.

11

#12 vallygolf

vallygolf

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366851
  • Joined: 03/17/2015
  • Location:az
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:03 PM

I see a theme with the Trump courses here.... It may be the astronomical price that leaves them so overrated.  Kind of, I just paid $300 for that????


Curious MichiganMan if you played Poppy Hills before or after the renovation.  Much better course now after the overhaul.

12

#13 oldpalchamp

oldpalchamp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2386
  • Joined: 07/12/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 309

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:08 PM

I've always felt Cog Hill #4 was overrated.

13

#14 jay65

jay65

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206889
  • Joined: 10/12/2012
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 1418

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:43 PM

 vallygolf, on 12 August 2015 - 12:03 PM, said:

I see a theme with the Trump courses here.... It may be the astronomical price that leaves them so overrated.  Kind of, I just paid $300 for that????


Curious MichiganMan if you played Poppy Hills before or after the renovation.  Much better course now after the overhaul.

Just a note, that I played twice at Turnberry well before Trump took over ownership to be fair.

14

#15 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

    BMW

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,733 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Joined: 09/19/2011
  • Location:Phoenix, Az
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2372

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:58 PM

 vallygolf, on 12 August 2015 - 11:27 AM, said:

Top 3

Trump Doral Blue Monster (renovations improved it, but so blah) after awhile the whole fairway and green with rolled edges into the water gets old.  I actually preferred the Red Tiger.  Silver Fox was still under construction when I played.
Trump LA: More good shots rewarded with poor lies/problems than any course I have ever played
Whistling Straits (Dare I say it this week) Probably one of the worst conditioned courses I have paid so much to play.  If I could get out to play it this week I might feel differently. layout and design was amazing.

I'm with you on Whistling Straits.  But not due to conditioning.  I thought it was in great shape when we were there last summer.  I just didn't love the design.  I thought it was completely overdesigned and a bit unnecessary and ridiculous at times.  I thought some of the overdesigning done by Dye actually ended up taking away from the course at times.  It's one of the few great golf courses (at least by ratings) that I walked away from thinking I was glad I played it once but not sure I care to play it again.

Part of this was likely due to the fact that 2 days before I played Erin Hills.  Erin Hills was in better condition than WS and I thought the layout was a lot better.  It was what I felt WS should be if Dye didn't go ballistic with his over designing.  I absolutely loved the track.  If EH had the lake views it would be a top 10 course in the country.

The second course is Harbor Town.  It just isn't that good.  I have played it a half dozen or some times and every time I walk away slightly disappointed.  The course is always in excellent shape which is why I keep going back.  It's in better condition than pretty anything else on HHI or just off the island.  There are some really good holes, don't get me wrong, but, there are also a lot of pretty bland holes that are just tight, target golf.  Most of them are pretty unmemorable.  I love target golf, it's actually my preference as opposed to the modern open modern designs, but outside of 2 or 3 holes, this place just doesn't move the needle for me.

Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop

15

#16 DoubleorQuits

DoubleorQuits

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348651
  • Joined: 11/14/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:00 PM

Ballyneal in eastern Colorado.   Too cute for its own good.  Not saying it is a bad course, just a tad overrated.

16

#17 puttnforthe8

puttnforthe8

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88323
  • Joined: 07/13/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 430

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:09 PM

 DoubleorQuits, on 12 August 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

Ballyneal in eastern Colorado.   Too cute for its own good.  Not saying it is a bad course, just a tad overrated.

Can't disagree more.  Excellent course...you are the first person I have ever state that is is overrated.  Did a group trip through Sand Hills of Nebraska, Ballyneal and Mesquite/St George and Ballyneal was considered one of the best by all.

Also, Topic is "most overrated".

17

#18 2bGood

2bGood

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91033
  • Joined: 08/07/2009
  • Location:Rock Star From Mars
  • Handicap:3-8
GolfWRX Likes : 2667

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:20 PM

I wil be the guy that puts it out there:

Pebble Beach and St Andrews - Old Course.
I love playing both because of the history and the fact you get see them again on tv of the rest of your life, but remove all of that and just look at the courses:

Pebble is overrated and over priced. Some of the best holes you will play, and some very mediocre holes. Don't get me wrong it is a great course, but not in my view does it deserve to be considered the best (or near the best)

I think the New Course and Jubilee Course are better courses than the Old Course. Saying that playing there and in the region was my best golf experience of my life, but you can argue the course itself does not deserve the rating.

18

#19 joey2aces

joey2aces

    not as smart as most but not as gullible either

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 266330
  • Joined: 07/25/2013
  • Location:Syracuse, NY
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 5191

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:21 PM

most overrated that I have played is DragonRidge in Las Vegas. Apparently it is a private course that allows the public on with select tee times. Slow play. Stupid holes. I think we paid close to $250 to play it.... that is why it is overrated to me. I would go back but not for more than $100. Oh, and the $9 hotdogs were horrendous.
Rogue 10.5* Atmos Black TS 6 / AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s

M2 4h AD DI 8s
718 TMB 5-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH




WITB Link

19

#20 MichiganMan

MichiganMan

    HAIL TO THE VICTORS! GO BLUE!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 243301
  • Joined: 04/06/2013
  • Location:Winston-Salem, NC
  • Handicap:+1
  • Ebay ID:blamert
GolfWRX Likes : 816

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:21 PM

 vallygolf, on 12 August 2015 - 12:03 PM, said:

I see a theme with the Trump courses here.... It may be the astronomical price that leaves them so overrated.  Kind of, I just paid $300 for that????


Curious MichiganMan if you played Poppy Hills before or after the renovation.  Much better course now after the overhaul.

I was unaware they renovated Poppy Hills. I played there back in 2006, so my guess is before. Like I said, it wasn't like Poppy Hills was a bad course by any means. It's just a dime a dozen course in Northern Michigan. Nothing unique about it.

TaylorMade M3 9.5* - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7x
Nike Vapor Speed 15* - Fujikura Rombax P95X
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5 or Nike Vapor Speed 19* - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Nike Vapor Pro 3-PW - TT Dynamic Gold S300
TaylorMade Antique Bronze Milled Grind 54* SB - TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS 610
Custom Nike Method 001 or Toulon San Diego
TaylorMade TP5x #1 TROY

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 lionman19380

lionman19380

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358591
  • Joined: 01/19/2015
  • Location:East Coast
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:30 PM

 RichieHunt, on 12 August 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

Somerset Hills was disappointing.  I liked the course, but I just didn't see it as a top-100 golf course.  I think because Tillinghast designed it and because of its age people overrated it.

Kings North in Myrtle Beach is pretty overrated as well.  I'm a fan of Palmer designs, but this is probably one of his weaker designs IMO and it's considered a 'must play' course in Myrtle.  I remember in '98 they were charging $100 greens fees in the summer on TEMPORARY GREENS.

I would say the same for Pawleys Plantation.  I liked some of the holes, but some of it gets really goofy.

Chateau Elan is not a bad course, but I found it pretty bland and wide open.  It's typical Atlanta, tell people it's great and overprice it with a wine vineyard and they'll show up in droves.  I would much rather go up the road and play Cateechee for half the price and have a much better designed course with better views.





RH

I couldn't disagree with you more on Somerset Hills...I would go as far as to say it is the most UNDERRATED course I have ever played

21

#22 MichiganMan

MichiganMan

    HAIL TO THE VICTORS! GO BLUE!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 243301
  • Joined: 04/06/2013
  • Location:Winston-Salem, NC
  • Handicap:+1
  • Ebay ID:blamert
GolfWRX Likes : 816

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:30 PM

 VNutz, on 12 August 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

Tullymore in Northern Michigan gets my vote. My group of buddies used to play one upper tier northern MI course a year, and each one of us walked away disappointed and underwhelmed by this course. I don't hate the course, just walked out saying that wasn't nearly as good as I thought it would be.

I kind of agree here. Except for me, Tullymore is a vastly superior course to it's sister course St. Ives. St. Ives has some of the worst golf holes I've ever played. The first hole is right near the top of that list. Absolutely atrocious hole, especially for a starting hole.
TaylorMade M3 9.5* - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7x
Nike Vapor Speed 15* - Fujikura Rombax P95X
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5 or Nike Vapor Speed 19* - Fujikura Rombax P95X
Nike Vapor Pro 3-PW - TT Dynamic Gold S300
TaylorMade Antique Bronze Milled Grind 54* SB - TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS 610
Custom Nike Method 001 or Toulon San Diego
TaylorMade TP5x #1 TROY

22

#23 Sixcat

Sixcat

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,252 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23189
  • Joined: 12/28/2006
  • Location:SWVA
GolfWRX Likes : 971

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:31 PM

The Old White at The Greenbrier.  Maybe I caught it at a bad time but it wasn't in good shape and was extremely overpriced for the condition of the entire facility.

23

#24 DoubleorQuits

DoubleorQuits

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348651
  • Joined: 11/14/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:46 PM

 puttnforthe8, on 12 August 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

 DoubleorQuits, on 12 August 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

Ballyneal in eastern Colorado.   Too cute for its own good.  Not saying it is a bad course, just a tad overrated.

Can't disagree more.  Excellent course...you are the first person I have ever state that is is overrated.  Did a group trip through Sand Hills of Nebraska, Ballyneal and Mesquite/St George and Ballyneal was considered one of the best by all.

Also, Topic is "most overrated".

It is the most overrated course I have played, which is what the OP asked us. I threw in the "tad overrated" to hopefully avoid the onslaught of ire from the hairy bunker crowd.  One forgettable hole through the dunes after another.  Bad fescue turf and the club tries too hard with no tee markers and no course rating.  Greens are slower than many fairways I have played.  Hardly the worst course in the world, but certainly not on par with Sand Hills.  Of course my favorite Doak layout is Sebonack so what do I know?

Edited by DoubleorQuits, 12 August 2015 - 01:47 PM.


24

#25 Barracuda

Barracuda

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 352033
  • Joined: 12/15/2014
  • Location:Ft Lauderdale
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 113

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

Doral blue monster for sure.

Pawleys plantation sucks. The bridge holes are just terrible.

I expected a lot more from caledonia and true blue at myrtle beach.




25

#26 zer0

zer0

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 229643
  • Joined: 02/17/2013
  • Location:Chicago
  • Ebay ID:orzoff123
GolfWRX Likes : 682

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

 SilverBullets, on 12 August 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:


I'm with you on Whistling Straits.  But not due to conditioning.  I thought it was in great shape when we were there last summer.  I just didn't love the design. I thought it was completely overdesigned and a bit unnecessary and ridiculous at times.  I thought some of the overdesigning done by Dye actually ended up taking away from the course at times.  It's one of the few great golf courses (at least by ratings) that I walked away from thinking I was glad I played it once but not sure I care to play it again.



Funny you say that, yesterday I was talking about WS and Pete Dye in general and the term that came to mind when describing his courses was "ridiculous".   Almost seems like he is making holes that are over the top and ridiculous as opposed to thinking about making good golf holes.  Just look at 18 at WS.  Looking back at the fairway from the green it looks like the worms from the movie Tremors must live under the fairway.   I feel like Dye was more concerned with making holes difficult and gimicky and that will look crazy on tv vs making holes that are challenging, but rewarding and flow together with the rest of the course.

I played WS once and I didn't walk off the course thinking about how much I wanted to get another shot at it.  I was just happy I survived.   Other great courses, I find myself  wanting to go back and replay it with knowledge I learned the first time around.  With WS it seemed like the whole focus of the round was trying to avoid the sure triple bogeys that existed on either side of the fairways.

26

#27 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

    Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,932 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
  • Joined: 09/18/2007
  • Location:Arizona
GolfWRX Likes : 1782

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:57 PM

 golfandfishing, on 12 August 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:

I'll get grief for this, but Quintero is way overrated IMO.

No grief from me.  I agree with you.

27

#28 jptruck

jptruck

    Tour Winner

  • Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 227635
  • Joined: 02/07/2013
  • Location:Mid-Atlantic
GolfWRX Likes : 264

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:15 PM

Easy: SPYGLASS HILLS.  Two interesting holes in the dunes and then it's basically Poppy Hills II through the woods.  Will never go back.

28

#29 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

    BMW

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,733 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Joined: 09/19/2011
  • Location:Phoenix, Az
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2372

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:29 PM

 zer0, on 12 August 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

 SilverBullets, on 12 August 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:


I'm with you on Whistling Straits.  But not due to conditioning.  I thought it was in great shape when we were there last summer.  I just didn't love the design. I thought it was completely overdesigned and a bit unnecessary and ridiculous at times.  I thought some of the overdesigning done by Dye actually ended up taking away from the course at times.  It's one of the few great golf courses (at least by ratings) that I walked away from thinking I was glad I played it once but not sure I care to play it again.



Funny you say that, yesterday I was talking about WS and Pete Dye in general and the term that came to mind when describing his courses was "ridiculous".   Almost seems like he is making holes that are over the top and ridiculous as opposed to thinking about making good golf holes.  Just look at 18 at WS.  Looking back at the fairway from the green it looks like the worms from the movie Tremors must live under the fairway.   I feel like Dye was more concerned with making holes difficult and gimicky and that will look crazy on tv vs making holes that are challenging, but rewarding and flow together with the rest of the course.

I played WS once and I didn't walk off the course thinking about how much I wanted to get another shot at it.  I was just happy I survived.   Other great courses, I find myself  wanting to go back and replay it with knowledge I learned the first time around.  With WS it seemed like the whole focus of the round was trying to avoid the sure triple bogeys that existed on either side of the fairways.

This echoes my feelings exactly.  

I will say, I played The Ocean Course about a month after WS and thought it was a brillant track.  Nothing crazy, nothing absurd, just a handful of flat out great golf holes.  It's one of the only Dye courses I have walked away thinking not only do I want to play it again but I could play it everyday.

One more overrated course.  The Scarlet course at Ohio State.  It's fairly highly ranked in the state of Ohio.  I can't for the life of my understand the allure to the course.  All the course is, is a old design that was remodeled (because it wasn't very good in the first place).  All the redesign did was lengthen the course to make it actually difficult and build some of the most rediculously large green complexes I have ever seen.  The course is just super long, with huge greens that run really quick and a mix of large bunkers.  Nothing more to it.  Almost every hole looks the same and each of those are simply mediocre.  I'm left shaking my head everytime I hear someone rave about it.  I don't enjoy courses that are just long and straight with little else to them.

Edited by SilverBullets, 12 August 2015 - 02:37 PM.

Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop

29

#30 double_d

double_d

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177336
  • Joined: 04/25/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:36 PM

The Ocean Course at Kiawah is better than Pebble Beach and has more seaward holes. It's also more difficult.

There. I said it.

I know many people who agree and few who disagree personally.

If you haven't played both, your vote doesn't count.

Edited by double_d, 12 August 2015 - 02:37 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors