Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

637 replies to this topic

#631 Rohlio

Rohlio

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69345
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:01 PM

View PostThe Coug, on 05 February 2019 - 03:34 PM, said:

Shame that never made it to market. I am picturing a mountain of lead tape on that baby

Attachment IMG_1549398535.164193.jpg

My friends called it Mjolnir!

Basically I epoxted lead weights to the counterweight under the grip and the shaft was nearly full of tungsten powder. The head was the boccieri golf heavy putter head with the heaviest weights in the ports (so it was 500 grams to start) and I drilled the back of the bumpers and filled them with tungsten slugs.

It was awesome. I would probably still be using it if I wasn't so crazy bad at keeping a line while rotating my head from face on to standing sideways.

Edited by Rohlio, 05 February 2019 - 09:45 PM.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#632 BigEx44

BigEx44

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326639
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:45 AM

View PostRohlio, on 05 February 2019 - 08:01 PM, said:

View PostThe Coug, on 05 February 2019 - 03:34 PM, said:

Shame that never made it to market. I am picturing a mountain of lead tape on that baby

Attachment IMG_1549398535.164193.jpg

My friends called it Mjolnir!

Basically I epoxted lead weights to the counterweight under the grip and the shaft was nearly full of tungsten powder. The head was the boccieri golf heavy putter head with the heaviest weights in the ports (so it was 500 grams to start) and I drilled the back of the bumpers and filled them with tungsten slugs.

It was awesome. I would probably still be using it if I wasn't so crazy bad at keeping a line while rotating my head from face on to standing sideways.

This Lateral Line L2 sidesaddle putter has a 620g head and another 400 g in grip.  One heavy putter!
https://www.l2putter...utterspecs.html

I thought about ordering at one time - but I don't like the fact that the face has 3 degrees of loft.  Too much, as with the ball in front, I already have enough upswing.

Edited by BigEx44, 06 February 2019 - 02:46 AM.

#633 ScratchyDawg

ScratchyDawg

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 310233
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:20 PM

View PostBigEx44, on 02 February 2019 - 08:16 AM, said:

View PostThe Coug, on 01 February 2019 - 03:51 PM, said:

I am just starting down the SS path, but Rohlio’s way makes more logical sense to me. Easier to get eyes over the ball and easier to manipulate the lie closer to 90 degrees if the putter head it closer to center mass.

Only hurdle would be longer backswings hitting the trailing foot. I figure on longer putts the top hand can just be a little more active  to add power.

If anyone wants to be brave and post a picture of their stance it would be greatly appreciated. Nice to get a roster of what putters are in play too :)

I think it's just a matter of what's most comfortable, and works for someone.  Either foot forward is ok as long as you're in balance and can deliver a good stoke.  The only thing to worry about with the right foot back is like in the picture Ripper posted where it looks to me as if back right foot is on the target line.

I personally have the right foot forward.  Makes it easier for me to keep my weight on the right side ang get my head over the ball.  I also set my right foot a little behind the ball and parallel to my target line.  It then becomes my putting guide: there's no way I can pull my stroke inside or I'd hit my foot.  It forces me to come straight back and straight through.

My setup:
https://www.dropbox....330493.mp4?dl=0

Wow! This is exactly the same thing I do. Same stance, grip, and stroke. I just recently started lining up my putter from behind before I get into my stance. This made a huge improvement in my accuracy.
"Give up control to gain control" - George Knudson

#634 BigEx44

BigEx44

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2019 - 07:40 AM

View PostScratchyDawg, on 07 February 2019 - 02:20 PM, said:

View PostBigEx44, on 02 February 2019 - 08:16 AM, said:

View PostThe Coug, on 01 February 2019 - 03:51 PM, said:

I am just starting down the SS path, but Rohlio’s way makes more logical sense to me. Easier to get eyes over the ball and easier to manipulate the lie closer to 90 degrees if the putter head it closer to center mass.

Only hurdle would be longer backswings hitting the trailing foot. I figure on longer putts the top hand can just be a little more active  to add power.

If anyone wants to be brave and post a picture of their stance it would be greatly appreciated. Nice to get a roster of what putters are in play too :)

I think it's just a matter of what's most comfortable, and works for someone.  Either foot forward is ok as long as you're in balance and can deliver a good stoke.  The only thing to worry about with the right foot back is like in the picture Ripper posted where it looks to me as if back right foot is on the target line.

I personally have the right foot forward.  Makes it easier for me to keep my weight on the right side ang get my head over the ball.  I also set my right foot a little behind the ball and parallel to my target line.  It then becomes my putting guide: there's no way I can pull my stroke inside or I'd hit my foot.  It forces me to come straight back and straight through.

My setup:
https://www.dropbox....330493.mp4?dl=0

Wow! This is exactly the same thing I do. Same stance, grip, and stroke. I just recently started lining up my putter from behind before I get into my stance. This made a huge improvement in my accuracy.

Great minds think alike!

#635 Hulknohappy

Hulknohappy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 516816
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 16 February 2019 - 04:17 AM

I bought a juanputt in November and had plans to really practice over the winter. I never did get much practice in but still managed to play once a week as the winter has been fairly mild in Scotland.
My putting has went from truly awful to pretty good.
I rarely three putt now and sink putts of a reasonable distance fairly frequently.
I now look forward to putting rather than dreading it.
I wont ever go back.
This thread gave me the confidence to make the change and Id like to thank the contributors.

#636 BigEx44

BigEx44

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:05 AM

View PostHulknohappy, on 16 February 2019 - 04:17 AM, said:

I bought a juanputt in November and had plans to really practice over the winter. I never did get much practice in but still managed to play once a week as the winter has been fairly mild in Scotland.
I rarely three putt now and sink putts of a reasonable distance fairly frequently.
I won't ever go back.
This thread gave me the confidence to make the change and I'd like to thank the contributors.

Wow.  Great story.  Thanks for the shout out.

#637 Rohlio

Rohlio

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69345
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:15 PM

I wont ever go back.
This thread gave me the confidence to make the change and Id like to thank the contributors.

I used to hate putting and be so fearful of 3-5 footers. Now That I Sidesaddle it is just like... Fun.
WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

#638 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

Hello

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1530
  • Ebay ID:tumbo79
GolfWRX Likes : 580

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:18 PM

View PostBigEx44, on 16 February 2019 - 06:05 AM, said:

I won't ever go back.
This thread gave me the confidence to make the change and I'd like to thank the contributors.

Wow.  Great story.  Thanks for the shout out.

This is exactly how I felt.

It was a revelation for me, in a scramble I would be a putting liability, and now I'm one of the better putters.  If I miss a green and don't hit it to tap in range, I no longer feel like I'm destined to make a bogey.  I think its equal parts better process and just rocking the boat enough to gain the confidence needed to be a good putter.

Just imagine if we could get Ernie Els or Adam Scott to side saddle...
G400 8.5* LST -G400 14.5* - F6 Baffler - PXG 4i - Ping G25 5-W - Gorge 2.0 50*, 56* (@ 55*), 60* - BG F22

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors