Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

side saddle putters - what putter are you using?


509 replies to this topic

#421 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

    Hello

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1530
  • Joined: 06/09/2005
  • Location:Springfield MO
  • Ebay ID:tumbo79
GolfWRX Likes : 558

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:00 PM

View Postbr61, on 06 June 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

View PostJ-Tizzle, on 06 June 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

View Postbr61, on 06 June 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

I'm ready to give one a tryout. How long was your F-22 when I tried it on the putting clock? I have no idea of the length I should be thinking about.

Atta boy, Billy!  Come to the dark side.

The F22 you tried out was 46.5".  I have a LFI at 45" that I'll bring this weekend and you can fiddle with.  That'll at least let you see which length you prefer.  I much prefer the F22 style of head over the LFI just due to the weight, but I'm happy to let you try it out so you can decide if you want to drop the coin on a F22.

Thanks! Bring it if you don't mind. I'll be playing at 10:50 this Saturday and hope to see you then.

That F-18 looks interesting if I ever try switching to lefty side.

Right on, we are playing in Bryan's thing at 8:40 (me, Ben and Dad should be a real good team, lol), but I'll bring it and leave it in the pro shop.  You can just keep it for a while and try it out and practice some with it, the F22 isn't leaving the bag anytime soon.

G400 8.5* LST -G400 14.5* - F6 Baffler - PXG 4i - Ping G25 5-W - Gorge 2.0 50*, 56* (@ 55*), 60* - BG F22

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#422 br61

br61

    3x Hackin' Hall of Shame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,410 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49
  • Joined: 04/18/2005
  • Location:SW Missouri
  • Handicap:+0.6
  • Ebay ID:br-61
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:52 AM

View PostJ-Tizzle, on 06 June 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

View Postbr61, on 06 June 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

View PostJ-Tizzle, on 06 June 2018 - 12:07 PM, said:

View Postbr61, on 06 June 2018 - 10:39 AM, said:

I'm ready to give one a tryout. How long was your F-22 when I tried it on the putting clock? I have no idea of the length I should be thinking about.

Atta boy, Billy!  Come to the dark side.

The F22 you tried out was 46.5".  I have a LFI at 45" that I'll bring this weekend and you can fiddle with.  That'll at least let you see which length you prefer.  I much prefer the F22 style of head over the LFI just due to the weight, but I'm happy to let you try it out so you can decide if you want to drop the coin on a F22.

Thanks! Bring it if you don't mind. I'll be playing at 10:50 this Saturday and hope to see you then.

That F-18 looks interesting if I ever try switching to lefty side.

Right on, we are playing in Bryan's thing at 8:40 (me, Ben and Dad should be a real good team, lol), but I'll bring it and leave it in the pro shop.  You can just keep it for a while and try it out and practice some with it, the F22 isn't leaving the bag anytime soon.

We(me, DL & Tyler) are playing in BD's too, should be a fun event. I'll see you then. You and Ben always play good.
A bag of hacking utensils;

Titleist TS3 9.5 PX Even Flow White 6.0
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80 stiff
816H1 19* & 23* Speeder 8.8 stiff
716 AP2 4-PW AMT S300
TM bronze MG 52, 56 & 60 Modus wedge 115 stiff
Bobby Grace LFI 45"

2

#423 brentflog

brentflog

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 329445
  • Joined: 07/25/2014
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:57 AM

View PostRipper212, on 06 June 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

My biggest issue with the F-22 is the cost. LFI last year was $350 and BG sold me one for $300. Need a second SS putter for Florida bag and waiting for one of you guys with multiple back-ups to sell me one!

I agree.  450 is really high.  It is the same head that he has recycled a few times.  It was called the f-18 a while back.  The only difference between past versions is the shaft drill angle and the heavier lead weights.

3

#424 BigEx44

BigEx44

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326639
  • Joined: 07/14/2014
  • Location:Rochester NY
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:30 AM

View Postbrentflog, on 07 June 2018 - 09:57 AM, said:

View PostRipper212, on 06 June 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

My biggest issue with the F-22 is the cost. LFI last year was $350 and BG sold me one for $300. Need a second SS putter for Florida bag and waiting for one of you guys with multiple back-ups to sell me one!

I agree.  450 is really high.  It is the same head that he has recycled a few times.  It was called the f-18 a while back.  The only difference between past versions is the shaft drill angle and the heavier lead weights.

Yea.  I had that same head on another putter of his where the shaft came into the head near the face.  I could never get comfortable with the "look" and ended up trading it back in to him.  That same head with a "kicka**" shaft has been magic for me though.  I am putting lights out this summer.  I love his insert.

Edited by BigEx44, 08 June 2018 - 06:30 AM.


4

#425 garyt

garyt

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311399
  • Joined: 04/26/2014
  • Location:detroit
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:02 AM

Any of you guys try the SmartPutter?  https://www.smart-putter.com/    I kind of like the type of stroke it uses. Tried it with a Cure putter I have and it seemed promising.


5

#426 bluedot

bluedot

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1404

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

View Postgaryt, on 13 June 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

Any of you guys try the SmartPutter?  https://www.smart-putter.com/ I kind of like the type of stroke it uses. Tried it with a Cure putter I have and it seemed promising.

I have not tried it, and I haven't seen one except on the website.

Two things sort of bother me about this putter and/or the website.  One is that I don't see any specs for the putter, other than VERY general guidelines about shaft length relative to height.  Nothing about weight, lie angle, or size.  (FWIW, the putter head looks pretty small in the pictures, at least relative to the golf ball, but that could be a deceiving camera angle.

But the other thing that REALLY bothers me is this statement: "A major challenge to alternative putting has always been compliance with the rules of golf. SmartPutter is the only forward-facing putter that is compliant with the rules of golf and legal for play at all levels of competitive golf worldwide. SmartPutter compliance is authorised in written approval from the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews in association with the USGA."

"Only" is a pretty big word, and that claim is patently untrue, which I'm sure the company knows.  That bugs me...

6

#427 BigEx44

BigEx44

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326639
  • Joined: 07/14/2014
  • Location:Rochester NY
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:16 AM

View Postbluedot, on 13 June 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

View Postgaryt, on 13 June 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

Any of you guys try the SmartPutter?  https://www.smart-putter.com/ I kind of like the type of stroke it uses. Tried it with a Cure putter I have and it seemed promising.

I have not tried it, and I haven't seen one except on the website.

Two things sort of bother me about this putter and/or the website.  One is that I don't see any specs for the putter, other than VERY general guidelines about shaft length relative to height.  Nothing about weight, lie angle, or size.  (FWIW, the putter head looks pretty small in the pictures, at least relative to the golf ball, but that could be a deceiving camera angle.

But the other thing that REALLY bothers me is this statement: "A major challenge to alternative putting has always been compliance with the rules of golf. SmartPutter is the only forward-facing putter that is compliant with the rules of golf and legal for play at all levels of competitive golf worldwide. SmartPutter compliance is authorised in written approval from the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews in association with the USGA."

"Only" is a pretty big word, and that claim is patently untrue, which I'm sure the company knows.  That bugs me...

I don't like it.

1) Putter head looks small and too light for my tastes.

2) I don't like the "stance" they promote (left foot forward for RH golfers)

3) Their statement (in the Q&A) that a single length will fit most golfers and so don't worry about the length of the shaft is a crock.  That's key for most of us SS putters.
SInce they say you would need to adjust at your local club maker - they obviously aren't going to build this putter to someone's preferred specs.

Give me the BG F22 - all day long!!  I've been putting lights out with this putter.  So much so I ordered another just so I'll have a backup in case Grace Bobby gets hit by a bus tomorrow.  :)  (that's how much I love this putter!....)

And while talking to Bobby on the phone, he asked me to make a little sidesaddle demo video for him to use with potential SS customers (just a quick front and side shot of me stroking an 8 foot putt).

I'm going to try and shoot it this weekend.

Edited by BigEx44, 13 June 2018 - 10:19 AM.


7

#428 bluedot

bluedot

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1404

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:20 AM

View PostBigEx44, on 13 June 2018 - 10:16 AM, said:

View Postbluedot, on 13 June 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

View Postgaryt, on 13 June 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

Any of you guys try the SmartPutter?  https://www.smart-putter.com/ I kind of like the type of stroke it uses. Tried it with a Cure putter I have and it seemed promising.

I have not tried it, and I haven't seen one except on the website.

Two things sort of bother me about this putter and/or the website.  One is that I don't see any specs for the putter, other than VERY general guidelines about shaft length relative to height.  Nothing about weight, lie angle, or size.  (FWIW, the putter head looks pretty small in the pictures, at least relative to the golf ball, but that could be a deceiving camera angle.

But the other thing that REALLY bothers me is this statement: "A major challenge to alternative putting has always been compliance with the rules of golf. SmartPutter is the only forward-facing putter that is compliant with the rules of golf and legal for play at all levels of competitive golf worldwide. SmartPutter compliance is authorised in written approval from the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews in association with the USGA."

"Only" is a pretty big word, and that claim is patently untrue, which I'm sure the company knows.  That bugs me...

I don't like it.

1) Putter head looks small and too light for my tastes.

2) I don't like the "stance" they promote (left foot forward for RH golfers)

3) Their statement (in the Q&A) that a single length will fit most golfers and so don't worry about the length of the shaft is a crock.  That's key for most of us SS putters.
SInce they say you would need to adjust at your local club maker - they obviously aren't going to build this putter to someone's preferred specs.

Give me the BG F22 - all day long!!  I've been putting lights out with this putter.  So much so I ordered another just so I'll have a backup in case Grace Bobby gets hit by a bus tomorrow.  :)  (that's how much I love this putter!....)

And while talking to Bobby on the phone, he asked me to make a little sidesaddle demo video for him to use with potential SS customers (just a quick front and side shot of me stroking an 8 foot putt).

I'm going to try and shoot it this weekend.

Cool!  Let us know when that goes up on his website.

And I agree 100% about the F-22; it's clearly the best of the putters I've used.  And that's saying something, because I putted really well with both the JuanPutt and the Directed Force.  Glad I spent the money.

8

#429 BigEx44

BigEx44

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326639
  • Joined: 07/14/2014
  • Location:Rochester NY
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:32 AM

View Postbluedot, on 13 June 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

View PostBigEx44, on 13 June 2018 - 10:16 AM, said:

View Postbluedot, on 13 June 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

View Postgaryt, on 13 June 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

Any of you guys try the SmartPutter?  https://www.smart-putter.com/ I kind of like the type of stroke it uses. Tried it with a Cure putter I have and it seemed promising.

I have not tried it, and I haven't seen one except on the website.

Two things sort of bother me about this putter and/or the website.  One is that I don't see any specs for the putter, other than VERY general guidelines about shaft length relative to height.  Nothing about weight, lie angle, or size.  (FWIW, the putter head looks pretty small in the pictures, at least relative to the golf ball, but that could be a deceiving camera angle.

But the other thing that REALLY bothers me is this statement: "A major challenge to alternative putting has always been compliance with the rules of golf. SmartPutter is the only forward-facing putter that is compliant with the rules of golf and legal for play at all levels of competitive golf worldwide. SmartPutter compliance is authorised in written approval from the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews in association with the USGA."

"Only" is a pretty big word, and that claim is patently untrue, which I'm sure the company knows.  That bugs me...

I don't like it.

1) Putter head looks small and too light for my tastes.

2) I don't like the "stance" they promote (left foot forward for RH golfers)

3) Their statement (in the Q&A) that a single length will fit most golfers and so don't worry about the length of the shaft is a crock.  That's key for most of us SS putters.
SInce they say you would need to adjust at your local club maker - they obviously aren't going to build this putter to someone's preferred specs.

Give me the BG F22 - all day long!!  I've been putting lights out with this putter.  So much so I ordered another just so I'll have a backup in case Grace Bobby gets hit by a bus tomorrow.  :)  (that's how much I love this putter!....)

And while talking to Bobby on the phone, he asked me to make a little sidesaddle demo video for him to use with potential SS customers (just a quick front and side shot of me stroking an 8 foot putt).

I'm going to try and shoot it this weekend.

Cool!  Let us know when that goes up on his website.

And I agree 100% about the F-22; it's clearly the best of the putters I've used.  And that's saying something, because I putted really well with both the JuanPutt and the Directed Force.  Glad I spent the money.

I should ask for finders fee!

9

#430 bluedot

bluedot

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1404

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:26 AM

View PostBigEx44, on 13 June 2018 - 11:32 AM, said:

View Postbluedot, on 13 June 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

View PostBigEx44, on 13 June 2018 - 10:16 AM, said:

View Postbluedot, on 13 June 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

View Postgaryt, on 13 June 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

Any of you guys try the SmartPutter?  https://www.smart-putter.com/ I kind of like the type of stroke it uses. Tried it with a Cure putter I have and it seemed promising.

I have not tried it, and I haven't seen one except on the website.

Two things sort of bother me about this putter and/or the website.  One is that I don't see any specs for the putter, other than VERY general guidelines about shaft length relative to height.  Nothing about weight, lie angle, or size.  (FWIW, the putter head looks pretty small in the pictures, at least relative to the golf ball, but that could be a deceiving camera angle.

But the other thing that REALLY bothers me is this statement: "A major challenge to alternative putting has always been compliance with the rules of golf. SmartPutter is the only forward-facing putter that is compliant with the rules of golf and legal for play at all levels of competitive golf worldwide. SmartPutter compliance is authorised in written approval from the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews in association with the USGA."

"Only" is a pretty big word, and that claim is patently untrue, which I'm sure the company knows.  That bugs me...

I don't like it.

1) Putter head looks small and too light for my tastes.

2) I don't like the "stance" they promote (left foot forward for RH golfers)

3) Their statement (in the Q&A) that a single length will fit most golfers and so don't worry about the length of the shaft is a crock.  That's key for most of us SS putters.
SInce they say you would need to adjust at your local club maker - they obviously aren't going to build this putter to someone's preferred specs.

Give me the BG F22 - all day long!!  I've been putting lights out with this putter.  So much so I ordered another just so I'll have a backup in case Grace Bobby gets hit by a bus tomorrow.  :)  (that's how much I love this putter!....)

And while talking to Bobby on the phone, he asked me to make a little sidesaddle demo video for him to use with potential SS customers (just a quick front and side shot of me stroking an 8 foot putt).

I'm going to try and shoot it this weekend.

Cool!  Let us know when that goes up on his website.

And I agree 100% about the F-22; it's clearly the best of the putters I've used.  And that's saying something, because I putted really well with both the JuanPutt and the Directed Force.  Glad I spent the money.

I should ask for finders fee!

I would consider paying that fee but for the fact that in addition to BOTH of the previous Bobby Grace face on models, I own basically every other face on option on the market.  I've never been shy about buying putters! :)


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#431 BigEx44

BigEx44

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326639
  • Joined: 07/14/2014
  • Location:Rochester NY
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:04 AM

View Postbluedot, on 14 June 2018 - 06:26 AM, said:

View PostBigEx44, on 13 June 2018 - 11:32 AM, said:


I should ask for finders fee!

I would consider paying that fee but for the fact that in addition to BOTH of the previous Bobby Grace face on models, I own basically every other face on option on the market.  I've never been shy about buying putters! :)

Yea...me too actually.  And now I'm doubling down on the F22.  That's all I need.....two of every model!!......Lord, help me...…
:swoon:

11

#432 BigEx44

BigEx44

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326639
  • Joined: 07/14/2014
  • Location:Rochester NY
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:00 AM

Here are the video's I sent to Bobby Grace of me sidesaddle putting.
They're about 8 foot putts.
I shot them right after finishing up my league last night.
I'm putting so well right now I made both putts on the 1st shoot.
No re-takes needed!   LOL.
https://www.dropbox....330493.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox....721210.mp4?dl=0

Edited by BigEx44, 15 June 2018 - 08:20 AM.


12

#433 PGATourDriven

PGATourDriven

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 365567
  • Joined: 03/08/2015
  • Location:Plymouth Massachusetts
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 15 June 2018 - 05:37 PM

I love looking for side saddle putters and putting left handed it’s pretty hard too find one. Just wondering if anyone had tried the bell side saddle putters from eBay they are $120. Just curious about the quality and how they roll. I have about 3 side saddle putter but I can never have enough. I really want a bobby Grace but they are hard too find. And don’t like the double sided one that seems like the only lefty one he’s selling at the moment.
Taylormade SLDR 430
Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron
Pinhawk SL 4 hybrid
1 iron golf pro line 5-pw
Six Bowtie SS red faced 44in
Pinnacle Gold Ball
Ping Hoofer Carry Bag

13

#434 BigEx44

BigEx44

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326639
  • Joined: 07/14/2014
  • Location:Rochester NY
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:20 PM

View PostPGATourDriven, on 15 June 2018 - 05:37 PM, said:

I love looking for side saddle putters and putting left handed it’s pretty hard too find one. Just wondering if anyone had tried the bell side saddle putters from eBay they are $120. Just curious about the quality and how they roll. I have about 3 side saddle putter but I can never have enough. I really want a bobby Grace but they are hard too find. And don’t like the double sided one that seems like the only lefty one he’s selling at the moment.

I like heavier putters.  The Bell look light to me.

14

#435 bluedot

bluedot

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1404

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:11 AM

View PostPGATourDriven, on 15 June 2018 - 05:37 PM, said:

I love looking for side saddle putters and putting left handed it’s pretty hard too find one. Just wondering if anyone had tried the bell side saddle putters from eBay they are $120. Just curious about the quality and how they roll. I have about 3 side saddle putter but I can never have enough. I really want a bobby Grace but they are hard too find. And don’t like the double sided one that seems like the only lefty one he’s selling at the moment.

I think you should call Bobby's shop; he'll probably answer the phone himself.  Tell him what you want, and I'd be surprised if he wouldn't make you a lefty version; it's just a matter of drilling the hole differently, which he did for me on a custom order anyway.  You might have to wait a week or two, but I'd think he'd have no problem setting that up.


15

#436 bluedot

bluedot

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1404

Posted 16 June 2018 - 08:13 AM

View PostBigEx44, on 15 June 2018 - 08:00 AM, said:

Here are the video's I sent to Bobby Grace of me sidesaddle putting.
They're about 8 foot putts.
I shot them right after finishing up my league last night.
I'm putting so well right now I made both putts on the 1st shoot.
No re-takes needed!   LOL.
https://www.dropbox....330493.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox....721210.mp4?dl=0

Awesome; I love it!  Thanks for posting.

16

#437 BigEx44

BigEx44

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326639
  • Joined: 07/14/2014
  • Location:Rochester NY
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:37 AM

This putter (BG F22) and this style (sidesaddle) are made for each other.  12 putts in my 9 hole league last night.  I've been on fire with my putting lately.

17

#438 bluedot

bluedot

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1404

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:21 AM

View PostBigEx44, on 29 June 2018 - 05:37 AM, said:

This putter (BG F22) and this style (sidesaddle) are made for each other.  12 putts in my 9 hole league last night.  I've been on fire with my putting lately.

You beat me to it!

I had 26 putts yesterday, 13 on both sides; it was as good a putting round as I've ever had.  Hit 7 greens and made 5 birdies; got up and down 6 of 9 (not all for par, unfortunately) and shot 76 with a double on the first hole.  

I've said this before, but maybe the biggest problem with side saddle is the inability to try out different putters.  So I've spent three years and a fair amount of money working my way thru the process of figuring out length and weight and all the rest.  I really liked the JuanPutt, and I really liked the Directed Force.  But I think that I've finally gotten it exactly right with the BG F22; it's just a great piece of equipment.  Stupid easy to line up and put a good stroke on the ball.

If you're on the fence about whether or not to spend the money for the F22, I'd urge you to go ahead.  Bobby will customize it pretty much any way you want it, from the length to the type of shaft, to the position at which the shaft inserts into the head, to how far down the lower part of the grip goes, plus an optional weight kit if you want to play with that.  I don't know of anything else like that on the market for those of us putting side saddle.

BTW, I played in a senior tournament on Monday, and one of the guys in my group was just fascinated with what I was doing.  At one point as we rode from a green to the next tee, he said, "You just look so much more relaxed than the other three of us do when you're putting!"  I considered that to be a really good testimony to the method.

Edited by bluedot, 29 June 2018 - 07:36 AM.


18

#439 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

    Hello

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1530
  • Joined: 06/09/2005
  • Location:Springfield MO
  • Ebay ID:tumbo79
GolfWRX Likes : 558

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:01 AM

View Postbluedot, on 29 June 2018 - 07:21 AM, said:

View PostBigEx44, on 29 June 2018 - 05:37 AM, said:

This putter (BG F22) and this style (sidesaddle) are made for each other.  12 putts in my 9 hole league last night.  I've been on fire with my putting lately.

You beat me to it!

I had 26 putts yesterday, 13 on both sides; it was as good a putting round as I've ever had.  Hit 7 greens and made 5 birdies; got up and down 6 of 9 (not all for par, unfortunately) and shot 76 with a double on the first hole.  

I've said this before, but maybe the biggest problem with side saddle is the inability to try out different putters.  So I've spent three years and a fair amount of money working my way thru the process of figuring out length and weight and all the rest.  I really liked the JuanPutt, and I really liked the Directed Force.  But I think that I've finally gotten it exactly right with the BG F22; it's just a great piece of equipment.  Stupid easy to line up and put a good stroke on the ball.

If you're on the fence about whether or not to spend the money for the F22, I'd urge you to go ahead.  Bobby will customize it pretty much any way you want it, from the length to the type of shaft, to the position at which the shaft inserts into the head, to how far down the lower part of the grip goes, plus an optional weight kit if you want to play with that.  I don't know of anything else like that on the market for those of us putting side saddle.

BTW, I played in a senior tournament on Monday, and one of the guys in my group was just fascinated with what I was doing.  At one point as we rode from a green to the next tee, he said, "You just look so much more relaxed than the other three of us do when you're putting!"  I considered that to be a really good testimony to the method.

Yep, I couldn't agree more.  Played in a tourney this weekend and putted well all three days, just wish I could have said the same thing for my ball striking...

I'm debating about calling Bobby Grace and having him put me another one together but get it in all black or silver, rather than the bronze.  Just for something else to look at if I ever get ice cold with my current F22.
G400 8.5* LST -G400 14.5* - F6 Baffler - PXG 4i - Ping G25 5-W - Gorge 2.0 50*, 56* (@ 55*), 60* - BG F22

19

#440 BigEx44

BigEx44

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326639
  • Joined: 07/14/2014
  • Location:Rochester NY
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 18 July 2018 - 06:27 AM

Interesting.
I attended a golf school in England (I'm a huge Brian Sparks fan).
Brian in all his 40+ years of teaching had never run into a sidesaddle putter.
Amazingly, in his small school of 6 people - another guy was also a sidesaddle putter.
So he never saw a sidesaddle putter in 40+ years of teaching and now in one school he had two of us!
I was pretty shocked too (as was the other sidesaddle putter)

Btw, Brian was fascinated by the stroke.  Every time we were near a green he wanted to try my putter.
It probably didn't hurt that during the 9 hole playing lesson I sank a couple of long putts, didn't miss inside of 5 feet, and never even sniffed a 3 putt.

The other guy used a 48" inch old two ball putter.  I stroked a couple with his putter and it was pretty nice.
Of course, no where near my BG F22!    :)


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#441 bluedot

bluedot

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1404

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:12 AM

View PostBigEx44, on 18 July 2018 - 06:27 AM, said:

Interesting.
I attended a golf school in England (I'm a huge Brian Sparks fan).
Brian in all his 40+ years of teaching had never run into a sidesaddle putter.
Amazingly, in his small school of 6 people - another guy was also a sidesaddle putter.
So he never saw a sidesaddle putter in 40+ years of teaching and now in one school he had two of us!
I was pretty shocked too (as was the other sidesaddle putter)

Btw, Brian was fascinated by the stroke.  Every time we were near a green he wanted to try my putter.
It probably didn't hurt that during the 9 hole playing lesson I sank a couple of long putts, didn't miss inside of 5 feet, and never even sniffed a 3 putt.

The other guy used a 48" inch old two ball putter.  I stroked a couple with his putter and it was pretty nice.
Of course, no where near my BG F22! :)

Good story; thanks!

I've written this before, but a common thread for me has been that good players and pros are really interested in what I'm doing; lesser players kind of go nuts to one degree or another.

21

#442 Ripper212

Ripper212

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 238823
  • Joined: 03/17/2013
  • Location:SE Mass
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:48 AM

We need to get a bunch of us together sometime to compare methods and equipment, share tips.
I've only been experimenting with it this summer so it could be fun and useful to meet and learn from other guys.

22

#443 BigEx44

BigEx44

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326639
  • Joined: 07/14/2014
  • Location:Rochester NY
  • Handicap:9.2
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:17 PM

View PostRipper212, on 18 July 2018 - 08:48 AM, said:

We need to get a bunch of us together sometime to compare methods and equipment, share tips.
I've only been experimenting with it this summer so it could be fun and useful to meet and learn from other guys.

I'd be in - just tell me when and where!

23

#444 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

    Hello

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1530
  • Joined: 06/09/2005
  • Location:Springfield MO
  • Ebay ID:tumbo79
GolfWRX Likes : 558

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:11 AM

Played in a shamble tourney this weekend with a very nice calcutta.  We ended up winning the tourney and I putted fantastic with the F22.  Its just so great to know and feel confident that you will start a putt on the correct line, so if your read is right its got a great chance of going in.

Made 5 birdies and an eagle (of course it was helpful my D player made an ace and we take 2 scores, so it counted as 2 aces :)).  So now with my winnings, do I buy a back up F22 and get something Coach/Kate Spade for the wife, or blow it all on a set if i210 and glide wedges?
G400 8.5* LST -G400 14.5* - F6 Baffler - PXG 4i - Ping G25 5-W - Gorge 2.0 50*, 56* (@ 55*), 60* - BG F22

24

#445 gomuskies09

gomuskies09

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130729
  • Joined: 06/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 25 August 2018 - 03:22 PM

Alright so the last few days I have been diving into this thread and researching online and watching videos etc. and I am starting to believe in the merits of this style.

I want to give it a try but I also don’t want to drop the coin for a Bobby Grace, etc.

Anyone have ideas on a cheap way to get started? That way I can see if it’s something I really want to pursue and I can upgrade at that point in the future.

I found this one on eBay - the Hefty. Has anyone used this one? Seems like the shaft is close to the face.

IMG_1535228557.448771.jpg


25

#446 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

    Hello

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1530
  • Joined: 06/09/2005
  • Location:Springfield MO
  • Ebay ID:tumbo79
GolfWRX Likes : 558

Posted 25 August 2018 - 04:18 PM

View Postgomuskies09, on 25 August 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

Alright so the last few days I have been diving into this thread and researching online and watching videos etc. and I am starting to believe in the merits of this style.

I want to give it a try but I also don’t want to drop the coin for a Bobby Grace, etc.

Anyone have ideas on a cheap way to get started? That way I can see if it’s something I really want to pursue and I can upgrade at that point in the future.

I found this one on eBay - the Hefty. Has anyone used this one? Seems like the shaft is close to the face.

Attachment IMG_1535228557.448771.jpg

This is just a personal thing, but I've always seemed to putt better when the shaft is more behind the face than even with the face.  But I'm sure that just fits my style better, so I'm sure you could make any of them work.
G400 8.5* LST -G400 14.5* - F6 Baffler - PXG 4i - Ping G25 5-W - Gorge 2.0 50*, 56* (@ 55*), 60* - BG F22

26

#447 gomuskies09

gomuskies09

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130729
  • Joined: 06/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:42 PM

View PostJ-Tizzle, on 25 August 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

View Postgomuskies09, on 25 August 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

Alright so the last few days I have been diving into this thread and researching online and watching videos etc. and I am starting to believe in the merits of this style.

I want to give it a try but I also don’t want to drop the coin for a Bobby Grace, etc.

Anyone have ideas on a cheap way to get started? That way I can see if it’s something I really want to pursue and I can upgrade at that point in the future.

I found this one on eBay - the Hefty. Has anyone used this one? Seems like the shaft is close to the face.

Attachment IMG_1535228557.448771.jpg

This is just a personal thing, but I've always seemed to putt better when the shaft is more behind the face than even with the face.  But I'm sure that just fits my style better, so I'm sure you could make any of them work.

Yeah I had noticed that most of the “better” SS putters have the shaft a little further back from the face.

This one has the 80 degree lie angle and is 500 grams and multiple length options. Might pull the trigger and see how it feels.

27

#448 rockinar

rockinar

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63491
  • Joined: 08/17/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 1102

Posted 25 August 2018 - 06:40 PM

View Postgomuskies09, on 25 August 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

Alright so the last few days I have been diving into this thread and researching online and watching videos etc. and I am starting to believe in the merits of this style.

I want to give it a try but I also don’t want to drop the coin for a Bobby Grace, etc.

Anyone have ideas on a cheap way to get started? That way I can see if it’s something I really want to pursue and I can upgrade at that point in the future.

I found this one on eBay - the Hefty. Has anyone used this one? Seems like the shaft is close to the face.

Attachment IMG_1535228557.448771.jpg


There's a bunch of these knockoff Odessy two ball broomstick putters on Ebay you could try for $100.

https://www.ebay.com...5.c100005.m1851

28

#449 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

    Hello

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1530
  • Joined: 06/09/2005
  • Location:Springfield MO
  • Ebay ID:tumbo79
GolfWRX Likes : 558

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:24 AM

View Postgomuskies09, on 25 August 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

View PostJ-Tizzle, on 25 August 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

View Postgomuskies09, on 25 August 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

Alright so the last few days I have been diving into this thread and researching online and watching videos etc. and I am starting to believe in the merits of this style.

I want to give it a try but I also don’t want to drop the coin for a Bobby Grace, etc.

Anyone have ideas on a cheap way to get started? That way I can see if it’s something I really want to pursue and I can upgrade at that point in the future.

I found this one on eBay - the Hefty. Has anyone used this one? Seems like the shaft is close to the face.

Attachment IMG_1535228557.448771.jpg

This is just a personal thing, but I've always seemed to putt better when the shaft is more behind the face than even with the face.  But I'm sure that just fits my style better, so I'm sure you could make any of them work.

Yeah I had noticed that most of the “better” SS putters have the shaft a little further back from the face.

This one has the 80 degree lie angle and is 500 grams and multiple length options. Might pull the trigger and see how it feels.

80* and heavy (500g+) are two of the biggest things I've noticed that improved my side saddling going from the LFI to the F22.

The F22 is just a piece of art honestly.  If you got one and didn't like it I'd probably take it off your hands, lol.
G400 8.5* LST -G400 14.5* - F6 Baffler - PXG 4i - Ping G25 5-W - Gorge 2.0 50*, 56* (@ 55*), 60* - BG F22

29

#450 br61

br61

    3x Hackin' Hall of Shame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,410 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49
  • Joined: 04/18/2005
  • Location:SW Missouri
  • Handicap:+0.6
  • Ebay ID:br-61
GolfWRX Likes : 262

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

View PostJ-Tizzle, on 27 August 2018 - 10:24 AM, said:

View Postgomuskies09, on 25 August 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

View PostJ-Tizzle, on 25 August 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

View Postgomuskies09, on 25 August 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

Alright so the last few days I have been diving into this thread and researching online and watching videos etc. and I am starting to believe in the merits of this style.

I want to give it a try but I also don’t want to drop the coin for a Bobby Grace, etc.

Anyone have ideas on a cheap way to get started? That way I can see if it’s something I really want to pursue and I can upgrade at that point in the future.

I found this one on eBay - the Hefty. Has anyone used this one? Seems like the shaft is close to the face.

Attachment IMG_1535228557.448771.jpg

This is just a personal thing, but I've always seemed to putt better when the shaft is more behind the face than even with the face.  But I'm sure that just fits my style better, so I'm sure you could make any of them work.

Yeah I had noticed that most of the “better” SS putters have the shaft a little further back from the face.

This one has the 80 degree lie angle and is 500 grams and multiple length options. Might pull the trigger and see how it feels.

80* and heavy (500g+) are two of the biggest things I've noticed that improved my side saddling going from the LFI to the F22.

The F22 is just a piece of art honestly.  If you got one and didn't like it I'd probably take it off your hands, lol.

Hey J,

Are you saying my LFI that I bought from you is a piece of crap? Ha, I do like it so far!

A bag of hacking utensils;

Titleist TS3 9.5 PX Even Flow White 6.0
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80 stiff
816H1 19* & 23* Speeder 8.8 stiff
716 AP2 4-PW AMT S300
TM bronze MG 52, 56 & 60 Modus wedge 115 stiff
Bobby Grace LFI 45"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors