Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

438 replies to this topic

#241 BigEx44

BigEx44

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326639
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:21 AM

View Postbluedot, on 13 September 2017 - 05:45 PM, said:

You guys will like this:

So today, I get paired up with three guys I didn't know; on the FIRST green on my FIRST putt, the ball isn't more than a few feet off my putter face before one of the guys (who, btw, turned out to be a MAJOR ****** all day!) said very loudly, "Is that even legal?"

I said it was; that you couldn't straddle or anchor, and he replied, "I thought they outlawed that with Mr. Snead!"  Now I'm just a little irritated, and I told him he needed to read some golf history and the Rules, to which he said that he had a good source for that sort of information.  I told him that his source was s**t if he didn't know that rule, and he said, "Aw, I'm just busting you a little, man."  I'd met him five minutes earlier...

He proceeded to shoot a million, and probably had 45 putts; I loved every one of them!

Love it!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#242 brentflog

brentflog

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 329445
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:27 AM

We should all post our keys to side saddle putting.  Just like regular putting there are going to be different feels and techniques that work for some and won't work for others.

For me I stand directly behind the ball and line up the putt with only my left (top) hand on the club.  Once I am set on the line i step into the set up holding just the top of the club with pretty much only my thumb.  Once I am comfortable that i got into my stance i am 100% committed to the line of the putt and try not to think about it anymore.  i try to keep the top hand very still and let the club only hinge between my thumb and the big knuckle of my index finger (the other fingers are not in contact).    From here I take a look at the hole and think about speed then look back at the ball and pull the trigger.  My lag putting has never been better because during the actual motion of the putt i am just thinking about the speed i want to hit the putt.  

One last thing that has been helping me is that i actually don/t focus my eyes on the ball during the putt.  Instead I focus through the ball as if i was focusing my eyes two feet past the ball under ground.  this allows me to keep my head still but still see the straight back and through path of the club without directly focusing on it.  Hope that makes sense.

#243 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

Beef is my spirit animal...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1530
  • Ebay ID:tumbo79
GolfWRX Likes : 532

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

View Postbrentflog, on 14 September 2017 - 10:27 AM, said:

We should all post our keys to side saddle putting.  Just like regular putting there are going to be different feels and techniques that work for some and won't work for others.

For me I stand directly behind the ball and line up the putt with only my left (top) hand on the club.  Once I am set on the line i step into the set up holding just the top of the club with pretty much only my thumb.  Once I am comfortable that i got into my stance i am 100% committed to the line of the putt and try not to think about it anymore.  i try to keep the top hand very still and let the club only hinge between my thumb and the big knuckle of my index finger (the other fingers are not in contact). From here I take a look at the hole and think about speed then look back at the ball and pull the trigger.  My lag putting has never been better because during the actual motion of the putt i am just thinking about the speed i want to hit the putt.  

One last thing that has been helping me is that i actually don/t focus my eyes on the ball during the putt.  Instead I focus through the ball as if i was focusing my eyes two feet past the ball under ground.  this allows me to keep my head still but still see the straight back and through path of the club without directly focusing on it.  Hope that makes sense.

Yep this is what I do when I'm just having trouble getting lined up.  Personally, the one thing I noticed when I do this though, is my top hand is actually too far back behind the ball, adding loft to the putter.  Thats why I started doing what I do.

I line my line up on my ball with where i read the putt.  Then I step in to address the ball (probably 80% of my weight on my front foot), but only hold the putter with my low hand (right hand) and let the putter more or less hang straight up and down, once I'm comfortable with it, I set the putter down (still only low hand on the putter) then I grab the top part with my top hand (left).  Then I grip it tighter with my top hand and then I'm pretty ready to go.  I do about the same thing you do in regards to where I look.  I'm not comfortable yet with looking straight at my target, so my last look at my target, then i trace the line back towards the ball and start taking the putter back when I'm almost back to the ball, this helps me be less ball focused and just stroke the putt.

It works for me!
G400 8.5* LST -G400 14.5* - F6 Baffler - PXG 4i - Ping G25 5-W - Gorge 2.0 50*, 56* (@ 55*), 60* - BG F22

#244 Directed Force Putters

Directed Force Putters

• Sponsors
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481718
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:directedforceputters
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

View Posthibcam, on 28 January 2017 - 10:08 PM, said:

Directed Force has a new face on putter coming out.  Here are a few pics of it from the PGA show. http://www.golfwrx.c...pga-show-day-2/
I have been putting face on for 10 years and I have tried all of them!  I even spent a morning with Juan Elizondo putting with him before the LA Open.  He really is the BEST!  Face On putting changed the way I feel about the game.  I had the yips and I was never happy after a round after missing a couple of 3 footers.  I don't trust the USGA but to ban this because it is "Not in the spirit of the game" would be devastating.

Here are my top face on putters...
Directed Force
Scotty Cameron-Big Sur and Futura X Long
Bobby Grace- Let's Face it
Edel custom
Juan Putt
Odyssey Two Ball Long

I still have them all!

Directed Force Putters
The most important club in your bag just got smarter!

www.directedforce.com

Get fit for your Directed Force putter - DFP Remote Fitting
Search for all Fitting Partners and Locations here - Fitting Partners and Locations

Social Media
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Intstagram
Watch us on YouTube
Follow us on Pinterest

#245 Directed Force Putters

Directed Force Putters

• Sponsors
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481718
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:directedforceputters
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for the shout out. The main difference between the std DFP 2.1 and the side saddle version is that the side saddle  has .5* forward shaft lean instead of 1.5* and starts at 500 grams and we also use a true temper ski pole shaft for weight and stiffness. Thanks again - Bill Presse IV

Directed Force Putters
The most important club in your bag just got smarter!

www.directedforce.com

Get fit for your Directed Force putter - DFP Remote Fitting
Search for all Fitting Partners and Locations here - Fitting Partners and Locations

Social Media
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Intstagram
Watch us on YouTube
Follow us on Pinterest

#246 Ripper212

Ripper212

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 238823
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:24 AM

View PostJ-Tizzle, on 14 September 2017 - 01:17 PM, said:

For me I stand directly behind the ball and line up the putt with only my left (top) hand on the club.  Once I am set on the line i step into the set up holding just the top of the club with pretty much only my thumb.  Once I am comfortable that i got into my stance i am 100% committed to the line of the putt and try not to think about it anymore.  i try to keep the top hand very still and let the club only hinge between my thumb and the big knuckle of my index finger (the other fingers are not in contact). From here I take a look at the hole and think about speed then look back at the ball and pull the trigger.  My lag putting has never been better because during the actual motion of the putt i am just thinking about the speed i want to hit the putt.  

Yep this is what I do when I'm just having trouble getting lined up.  Personally, the one thing I noticed when I do this though, is my top hand is actually too far back behind the ball, adding loft to the putter.  Thats why I started doing what I do.

I line my line up on my ball with where i read the putt.  Then I step in to address the ball (probably 80% of my weight on my front foot), but only hold the putter with my low hand (right hand) and let the putter more or less hang straight up and down, once I'm comfortable with it, I set the putter down (still only low hand on the putter) then I grab the top part with my top hand (left).  Then I grip it tighter with my top hand and then I'm pretty ready to go.  I do about the same thing you do in regards to where I look.  I'm not comfortable yet with looking straight at my target, so my last look at my target, then i trace the line back towards the ball and start taking the putter back when I'm almost back to the ball, this helps me be less ball focused and just stroke the putt.

It works for me!

Really like the idea of tracing line back to the ball then immediately starting backstroke. Do you have any issues with inconsistent contact when holding the LFI almost vertical?

#247 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:19 PM

View PostRipper212, on 25 September 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

View PostJ-Tizzle, on 14 September 2017 - 01:17 PM, said:

It works for me!

Really like the idea of tracing line back to the ball then immediately starting backstroke. Do you have any issues with inconsistent contact when holding the LFI almost vertical?

Nope, not at all.

I just use it much better than holding it as straight up as possible, but its not necessary for sure.

Its my favorite of all the side saddles I've tried.
G400 8.5* LST -G400 14.5* - F6 Baffler - PXG 4i - Ping G25 5-W - Gorge 2.0 50*, 56* (@ 55*), 60* - BG F22

#248 brentflog

brentflog

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

just bought a Kombi long putter on ebay.  It has a 79 degree lie angle with a double bend shaft.  I am not sure why all of the side saddle putters are all center shafted.  I wouldn't think that would matter if you are soling the club on the ground like i do with my Juanputt..  I might re-position the shaft in the Kombi to have have a reverse offset.

#249 Golfingfanatic

Golfingfanatic

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208029
  • Handicap:3.0
GolfWRX Likes : 850

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:41 AM

Just ordered a Juanputt. Cannot wait go give side-saddle putting a go.
Ping G400Max 10.5° Mitsu Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60X
TM M2 DF 16.5° Diamana W 80X
PXG 0317 18° Accra FX300H X-Flex
TaylorMade RSI UDI 3 Mitsu Tensei Pro White 90TX   
Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-Pw Oban CT-115 X-
Callaway MackDaddy2 PM-Grind 53°/60° KBS Tour-V
Odyssey 2-Ball Slant Neck Custom

#250 PreppySlapCut

PreppySlapCut

This is just babytown frolics...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4840
GolfWRX Likes : 777

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:24 PM

I have had my best results using it at 80*.  I feel like it swings much more stable than it does at 90* (or close to it), and the setup is simpler.  Putter is a Bobby Grace LFI, 43Ē.

Ping G400 LST 10* w/ Tour 65 (X)
Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Tour 80 (X)
Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Kuchar Proto 85 (X)
Mizuno MP-18 5-PW w/ KBS C-Taper (S)
Mizuno T7 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#251 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:51 AM

View PostPreppySlapCut, on 09 January 2018 - 07:24 PM, said:

I have had my best results using it at 80*.  I feel like it swings much more stable than it does at 90* (or close to it), and the setup is simpler.  Putter is a Bobby Grace LFI, 43".

Yep I agree, I think the "onboarding" time with side saddle is less the closer to 90* you can get the putter when addressing the ball.

Still firmly have the LFI in the bag, or rather one of my three LFI in the bag.  If you've tried to snipe one on eBay lately and have been unsuccessful, I'm sorry.  There is actually one of the protos available for sale right now on eBay and its the version of the putter I prefer the most, but $399 for the 4th version of the same putter might get me in the doghouse with the new wife...

#252 hardpan1

hardpan1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141991
  • Handicap:3/4
  • Ebay ID:hardpan
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

View PostJ-Tizzle, on 11 January 2018 - 10:51 AM, said:

I have had my best results using it at 80*.  I feel like it swings much more stable than it does at 90* (or close to it), and the setup is simpler.  Putter is a Bobby Grace LFI, 43".

Yep I agree, I think the "onboarding" time with side saddle is less the closer to 90* you can get the putter when addressing the ball.

Still firmly have the LFI in the bag, or rather one of my three LFI in the bag.  If you've tried to snipe one on eBay lately and have been unsuccessful, I'm sorry.  There is actually one of the protos available for sale right now on eBay and its the version of the putter I prefer the most, but $399 for the 4th version of the same putter might get me in the doghouse with the new wife...

Got the DF last summer but I could not help myself and gave me a LFI for Christmas...it is Sweet!

#253 BigEx44

BigEx44

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

View Posthardpan1, on 12 January 2018 - 03:56 PM, said:

Got the DF last summer but I could not help myself and gave me a LFI for Christmas...it is Sweet!

I played with the DF all last summer and really enjoyed it.

I too though couldn’t resist adding the latest Bobby Grace creation to my collection: the F22 with a “Kick a**” shaft.  I’ll see how it plays this summer.

#254 hardpan1

hardpan1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:38 PM

View PostBigEx44, on 12 January 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

View Posthardpan1, on 12 January 2018 - 03:56 PM, said:

I played with the DF all last summer and really enjoyed it.

I too though couldn’t resist adding the latest Bobby Grace creation to my collection: the F22 with a “Kick a**” shaft.  I’ll see how it plays this summer.

Kind of wish I'd got the F22, 11,000moi or something crazy like that...mine does have the KA shaft.

#255 3eagles18

3eagles18

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40317
GolfWRX Likes : 210

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:32 PM

Bumping this thread and thanks to all for posting. Played (and won) a shambles today. Our D player was face on and made everything. Let him putt cleanup.

I spent the better part of the day thinking that I have to try this. The line is so clear with both eyes.

Think I will go to PGASS tomorrow and see if anything is marked down. Have to try it.

#256 PreppySlapCut

PreppySlapCut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,927 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:20 PM

View Post3eagles18, on 13 January 2018 - 09:32 PM, said:

Bumping this thread and thanks to all for posting. Played (and won) a shambles today. Our D player was face on and made everything. Let him putt cleanup.

I spent the better part of the day thinking that I have to try this. The line is so clear with both eyes.

Think I will go to PGASS tomorrow and see if anything is marked down. Have to try it.
Only way to effectively try it is with a long putter.
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

#257 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1287

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

Give a good face on putter three looks at the line and speed so that he knows exactly where to start the putt, and it can get silly.

#258 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

View Postbluedot, on 16 January 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

Give a good face on putter three looks at the line and speed so that he knows exactly where to start the putt, and it can get silly.

I'd hate to say, but the only way (in my opinion) to give it a legit try is to buy a putter designed for face on/side saddle.  The design of the putter makes all the difference to me.  Hell, I even had a Juan Putt and hated it compared to my LFI just due to design of the heads.

The only issue I've really had with side saddle putting is speed.  My daily greens are very fast, and if I play on slower greens I always struggle more than normal.

Edited by J-Tizzle, 22 January 2018 - 07:35 PM.

#259 hardpan1

hardpan1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

If you can find a cheap Long putter, you can at least try the method out.

#260 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:21 PM

View Posthardpan1, on 23 January 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

Very true, I shouldn't say not to.  I do think if you feel there is merit and you're willing to be razzed by your friends a little, I'd for sure then just spend the money if you like the concept.  I'll stand behind the biggest things are consistent ball position and working on your line.  Be very specific lining up your ball on the line you want, then straddle the line behind the ball with the putter behind the ball, and top hand on the grip, then just step left and then wiggle your right foot in place, then go.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#261 BigEx44

BigEx44

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:53 AM

View PostJ-Tizzle, on 23 January 2018 - 07:21 PM, said:

Very true, I shouldn't say not to.  I do think if you feel there is merit and you're willing to be razzed by your friends a little, I'd for sure then just spend the money if you like the concept.  I'll stand behind the biggest things are consistent ball position and working on your line.  Be very specific lining up your ball on the line you want, then straddle the line behind the ball with the putter behind the ball, and top hand on the grip, then just step left and then wiggle your right foot in place, then go.

Yea, I used to get nervous with my sidesaddle putting whenever I was playing in front of a bunch of new people.
I felt the pressure because I knew anytime I missed a putt - people would blame the unorthodox technique.
But I've been putting this way for the last 6 years and can't even imagine putting any other way: so I don't even think about peoples reactions anymore.
The thing I love about sidesaddle putting - is everything technique wise is taken care of at setup:
- your head will automatically stay still.
- there's no chance of swaying.
- you don't have to worry about left wrist breakdown or how much to rock or not rock the shoulders.
- you view of "the line" is perfect.
So after setting up, all you need to worry about is where to start the ball and the speed!
Sidesaddle rocks!!

Edited by BigEx44, 24 January 2018 - 03:54 AM.

#262 Golfingfanatic

Golfingfanatic

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208029
  • Handicap:3.0
GolfWRX Likes : 850

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:29 AM

Have had my Juanputt for about a week now and early signs have been very promising. I like the balance of the putter and feel it is very easy to lign up
Ping G400Max 10.5° Mitsu Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60X
TM M2 DF 16.5° Diamana W 80X
PXG 0317 18° Accra FX300H X-Flex
TaylorMade RSI UDI 3 Mitsu Tensei Pro White 90TX   
Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-Pw Oban CT-115 X-
Callaway MackDaddy2 PM-Grind 53°/60° KBS Tour-V
Odyssey 2-Ball Slant Neck Custom

#263 PreppySlapCut

PreppySlapCut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,927 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:49 PM

Just threw a Bobby Grace Letís Face It up for sale if anyone happens to be in the market.
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

#264 kenstl

kenstl

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171651
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:00 AM

I have gone back and forth over the past few years from conventional to sidesaddle, usually playing 20-30 plus rounds before making a switch.  For whatever reason, I keep coming back to the sidesaddle.  I think most of it is driven by missing those pesky 2 footers with conventional style and I think you know, I wouldn't of missed that with face on.  My stats with conventional tend to be hot or cold, but not consistent, where my side saddle stats tend to be more consistent, but I haven't had the "hot" rounds as much.  

Due to winter, I have been practicing with both quite a bit and I think I am going to put the Wonderputter back in the bag for a few rounds I get to play next week while traveling.  I'll be using it with an "irish grip" that I have been practicing with.  On my practice green, there is no doubt that I can run in 4' and 8' putts more consistently with this method vs conventional.  I usually practice with both (use a mirror with conventional to assist in line up), and when I add up the number of putts made out of ten, the sidesaddle wins 90% of the time.  

Playing real rounds of golf is always another issue, (taking it to the course) but for me, it is hard not to think that I can carry the better efficiency to results on the course.  Hope all goes well next week!
Cobra LTD
Wishon 929 4 wood
Wishon 775 21 and 24 hybrids
SL Sterling Irons 6-SW
Maltby 60 Deg
Seemore 37" Carona Del Mar X4

#265 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:58 AM

View PostBigEx44, on 24 January 2018 - 03:53 AM, said:

View PostJ-Tizzle, on 23 January 2018 - 07:21 PM, said:

Yea, I used to get nervous with my sidesaddle putting whenever I was playing in front of a bunch of new people.
I felt the pressure because I knew anytime I missed a putt - people would blame the unorthodox technique.
But I've been putting this way for the last 6 years and can't even imagine putting any other way: so I don't even think about peoples reactions anymore.
The thing I love about sidesaddle putting - is everything technique wise is taken care of at setup:
- your head will automatically stay still.
- there's no chance of swaying.
- you don't have to worry about left wrist breakdown or how much to rock or not rock the shoulders.
- you view of "the line" is perfect.
So after setting up, all you need to worry about is where to start the ball and the speed!
Sidesaddle rocks!!

I like your list of things that can't go wrong with face on putting.  When I do end up in a discussion with somebody who is genuinely interested, I always tell them that the ONLY precision movement in all of sports, ANY sport, that is done parallel to the line of play with two hands is conventional putting; ALL other such movements are done facing the target, and performed with one hand.

The ONLY reason to stand parallel and use two hands is to create power thru speed through torque and weight transfer.  And from a position literally designed for powerful, rotational, dynamic movement, a conventional putter is told:
1. Don't move your head
2. Don't use your wrists
3. Don't move your lower body
4. Just rock your shoulders

There are a ton of good things about face on putting, but the best thing might be that the number of things that can go wrong are very limited, and the fixes are very simple.  Practice time then becomes a much different (and more productive) process.  For me, almost the only thing that goes bad with my stroke seems to be simply not releasing the putter down the line; popping the ball instead of stroking it.  And that's a pretty easy fix.

One other side benefit:  NOBODY ever gives me unsolicited putting tips!  For this alone, I am grateful.

#266 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:03 AM

The only caveat to this is that a putter that is going to be used for face on REALLY needs to only have a degree or so of loft.  The difference might not sound like much, but it's a big deal, and the difference in how tightly the ball rolls is critical.  If you putt with a long putter that has 3 or 4 degrees of loft, you are going to miss a lot of putts short.

I knew that the putters that I have that were made specifically for this method only had a degree or so of loft, but I don't think I understood the importance until I picked up a used Scotty Cameron Kombi long putter.  Felt great in every respect, and rolled great on the carpet at the golf store, but on actual greens it just wasn't any good.  Back it went...

#267 kenstl

kenstl

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171651
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:26 AM

bluedot, Love that line, so true!

"One other side benefit:  NOBODY ever gives me unsolicited putting tips!  For this alone, I am grateful."
Cobra LTD
Wishon 929 4 wood
Wishon 775 21 and 24 hybrids
SL Sterling Irons 6-SW
Maltby 60 Deg
Seemore 37" Carona Del Mar X4

#268 brentflog

brentflog

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

View Postbluedot, on 11 March 2018 - 09:03 AM, said:

The only caveat to this is that a putter that is going to be used for face on REALLY needs to only have a degree or so of loft.  The difference might not sound like much, but it's a big deal, and the difference in how tightly the ball rolls is critical.  If you putt with a long putter that has 3 or 4 degrees of loft, you are going to miss a lot of putts short.

I knew that the putters that I have that were made specifically for this method only had a degree or so of loft, but I don't think I understood the importance until I picked up a used Scotty Cameron Kombi long putter.  Felt great in every respect, and rolled great on the carpet at the golf store, but on actual greens it just wasn't any good.  Back it went...

Blue dot is usually spot on but I don't think a putter with 3 or 4 degrees of loft is a big deal if you sole the club to the ground. If you try to keep the putter at 90 degrees to the ground with the heel off the ground then the loft is definitely an issue. I have tried several long putters (broomstick) and preferred lining up a double bend shaft from behind (like the Kombi) but didn't like the offset over the ball. Most side saddle putters have a reverse offset which I prefer. but I never saw any issues with the roll off the face from any chest anchor putters.

#269 juggernaut0629

juggernaut0629

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 290277
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:26 PM

I use a 47" never compromise voodoo long. But I also putt side saddle to conventional. The longer putts I'll stand more conventional. The closer I get to the hole, the more face on I get
Callaway Epic w/ Veylix Roughneck X Stiff
Callaway Fusion 3w Veylix 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Titleist 714 AP1 5 & 6 Recoil F4
Titleist 714 AP2 7 - PW Nippon SPO
Mizuno MP-T4 52* 56* 60*

#270 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:30 AM

Just as an FYI for the face-on guys:

I played a couple of Carolinas Golf Association four ball tournaments this week, and yesterday at Southern Pines GC there were four guys putting face on.  These are good players, not chops, and playing tournament golf.  One of the other three guys has never putted any other way.  The other two went to it six or seven years ago before and unrelated to the anchoring ban, so at just three years, I'm the newbie, I guess.

I could be wrong about this, but just looking at the practice green before the tournament started, I am guessing that the face on guys actually outnumbered the guys who are still using the long putter but not anchoring.  While I saw a couple of those guys, there don't seem to be many left.  When I DO see somebody putting that way, I find myself wanting to do an intervention and ask them, "Hey, you've already done the hard part by converting distance control from two hands to one; why don't you just make it REALLY easy and face the hole?"   But I don't...

One other interesting note that I think I've mentioned before:  In casual rounds, when I get paired up with somebody who sees face on for the first time, the freak-out quotient is VERY high, and especially among guys who believe they are good but just having a bad day.  But in tournament play among good golfers playing competitively, nobody even looks twice, much less says anything.  Just interesting...

Anyway, thought those of you that probably sometimes feel like you're swimming upstream might enjoy knowing that there are serious golfers out there competing this way.

Edited by bluedot, 21 March 2018 - 08:07 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors