Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

186 replies to this topic

#181 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

Beef is my spirit animal...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1530
  • Handicap:+0.4
  • Ebay ID:tumbo79
GolfWRX Likes : 406

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

View PostPGATourDriven, on 13 June 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

I would like everyones opinion on this. I am left handed; but golf right handed, and am right eye dominant. I have both right and left handed Side Saddle putters. I would think using a left handed version would make the most sense as you need to have a throwing a ball towards the hole motion and if I were to throw a ball towards a hole I would do this left handed. However on older side saddle threads it has been recommended to try and use an opposite handed version putter. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

To me, the eye dominance is negated by the act of side saddling, as you're looking at the hole and ball without a "lead" eye, but both eyes at the same time.  I'd just say use whatever one you feel the most comfortable with honestly.  If you're left handed and its your dominate hand, I'd figure use your left hand.

Ping G30 LS 9* - Ping i25 14* & 18* - Adams 9031 23* -  Ping G25 5-W  - Cleveland RTX 3.0 Raw 50*, 56*, 62* -  Bobby Grace Let's Face It

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#182 bluedot

bluedot

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 901

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:58 PM

View PostJ-Tizzle, on 13 June 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

View PostPGATourDriven, on 13 June 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

I would like everyones opinion on this. I am left handed; but golf right handed, and am right eye dominant. I have both right and left handed Side Saddle putters. I would think using a left handed version would make the most sense as you need to have a throwing a ball towards the hole motion and if I were to throw a ball towards a hole I would do this left handed. However on older side saddle threads it has been recommended to try and use an opposite handed version putter. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

To me, the eye dominance is negated by the act of side saddling, as you're looking at the hole and ball without a "lead" eye, but both eyes at the same time.  I'd just say use whatever one you feel the most comfortable with honestly.  If you're left handed and its your dominate hand, I'd figure use your left hand.

I'm left handed, play golf right handed, and am LEFT eye dominant.  FWIW, I agree with J-Tizzle that this problem pretty much goes out the window with sidesaddle; the whole thing is binocular, which is one of, if not THE, biggest advantage.

But to be honest, I'm not even sure that the eye dominance thing is really the issue in conventional putting vision.  I think the real issue is parallax error, and I have never read anything that says that you can lessen that by which side of the ball you stand on.  I'm willing to be corrected on that, of course, but I've never seen anything to that effect.

As to whether you should putt righty or lefty, I think I'd let my body decide that.  I'd bet that if you practice some both ways, one or the other will pretty quickly feel more comfortable. Maybe the hand you bowl with or shoot a basketball with or throw darts with?

#183 PGATourDriven

PGATourDriven

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 365567
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

Thank you everyone for the quick replies. I will go to the range tomorrow and do some extensive practice with both right and left handed side saddle putters. I'm thinking left handed is the way to go.
Taylormade 200 steel S-90 steel shaft
Srixon Z U65 2 iron
Pinhawk 4 hybrid Apollo steel
1 Iron SL pro line 5-LW
Juanputt 43 in
Pinnacle Gold Ball
Ping Hoofer Carry Bag

#184 PGATourDriven

PGATourDriven

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:44 AM

Just a quick update as I'm at the range right now I'm using my left handed 43 in JuanPutt and it is solid. 3ft circle drill is going well. Looking at the hole the entire time is the way to go for me.Just trying to figure out he bottom hand grip. I'm going with the pencil grip and that's working well. Lag putting is getting better practice makes perfect. I'm not using any conventional putters anymore. They are going in the basement. Posted Image
Srixon Z U65 2 iron
1 Iron SL pro line 5-LW
Juanputt 43 in
Pinnacle Gold Ball
Ping Hoofer Carry Bag

#185 PGATourDriven

PGATourDriven

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:13 PM

Just got a STX 43.5 in red insert sidesaddle putter from eBay. Just got it re gripped and going to test it out against the JuanPutt. I figured if Randy Haag swears by it I might as well give it a shot.

Srixon Z U65 2 iron
1 Iron SL pro line 5-LW
Juanputt 43 in
Pinnacle Gold Ball
Ping Hoofer Carry Bag

#186 PGATourDriven

PGATourDriven

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 04:03 PM

So I just played a round with the STX putter and I did not care for the putter at all. I prefer a harder feeling putter face and the Juan Putter delivers that for me. The red insert of the STX putter was way too soft for my liking it felt like hitting a marshmallow and this was the firmest insert they made. The sound at impact is very muted and I could not tell how hard I was hitting the golfball. So the JuanPutt is in the bag to stay and the STX is going in the basement. It was a cheap experiment so I'm not mad about not using this putter.
Srixon Z U65 2 iron
1 Iron SL pro line 5-LW
Juanputt 43 in
Pinnacle Gold Ball
Ping Hoofer Carry Bag

#187 Ripper212

Ripper212

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 238823
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted Yesterday, 08:41 PM

I finally broke down and bought a Bobby Grace since J-Tizzle wouldn't sell me his and love everything about it so far. Honeymoon is on. Can't wait to list my conventional putters in the classifieds! Asked Bobby Grace if he had a used one. Sold me a new one at reasonable discount since it had a "noticeable ding" - apparently one that only he could notice. Very nice to deal with.

Experimenting with stance - may settle on left foot forward. Think I just see everything better that way and it feels more natural. Anyone else try that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors