Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ranger jmplautz: The Tiger Woods Syndrome

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jmplautz

jmplautz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23733
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:26 PM

Hello,

What I'm about to anecdotally state is how it usually goes for me from range to first tee.

I was in a scramble last night for my league. Got there with enough time to hit some balls on the range (this does not typically happen). I Had great tempo getting to my front foot and releasing the club.The ball flight was a nice little draw. First tee, lead with the shoulders, over the top, cut fade/slice.

My question is, how do you take the feeling from the range to the first tee? Part of it is certainly about playing more. The other part is mental. I get over the ball on the course and it becomes swing hard vs swing fast. I tense up thinking I need to muscle it out there even though I was just hitting farther, straighter shots with less effort. My body completely forgot what I was doing on the range and I can't find it. So my fellow GolfWRX'ians, how have you over come the Ranger Rick problem? How were you able to let go and maintain the feeling?

Thanks,
Joe

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Beeney

Beeney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7911
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:46 PM

More performance practice, it's easy to get into to a rhythm hitting 10 7 irons in a row. Visualize holes on the course and try to execute them on the range so hit driver, 7 iron, driver, 4 iron, 3 wood, wedge etc.

#3 jmplautz

jmplautz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:06 PM

View PostBeeney, on 25 June 2015 - 12:46 PM, said:

More performance practice, it's easy to get into to a rhythm hitting 10 7 irons in a row. Visualize holes on the course and try to execute them on the range so hit driver, 7 iron, driver, 4 iron, 3 wood, wedge etc.

Thanks Beeney. That's a great thought in trying to make it as live action as possible. I will use that.

#4 alittleoverpar

alittleoverpar

Cousin Jess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62687
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 556

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:09 PM

There are no consequences when hitting balls on the range.  If you mishit one you can just hit another.  Try to pick true targets on the range and hit to them, both distance and accuracy.  You may not be hitting it as well on the range as you perceive.    Having said that I would expect that almost every member on here would like to take their range swing to the course.  It's much easier said than done.
Callaway FT Tour 10.5* - Prolaunch Blue 75 X
Sonartec GS Tour 14*, 18* - Red Ice 70 X
Callaway Razr X MB 4 - PW - PX 6.5
Callaway X-Forged 54*, 58* - S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Long Neck Tei3
Jones Utility Stand Bag

#5 nicebutdim

nicebutdim

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175544
GolfWRX Likes : 84

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:39 PM

Great advice. I like to warm up and work on a few things until I am striking it well, then it is mostly target practice. Makes the session more fun and forces you to work on a rountine, and practice visualizing and executing shots. Hitting the same shot over and over again unconsciously is pointless imo. Practice how you mean to play, and that way once you step on the course you feel very comfortable judging distance, visualizing target/ballflight and in particular hitting greens from 150 yards and in.

Edited by nicebutdim, 25 June 2015 - 01:40 PM.

#6 Beeney

Beeney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7911
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:45 PM

View Postjmplautz, on 25 June 2015 - 01:06 PM, said:

Thanks Beeney. That's a great thought in trying to make it as live action as possible. I will use that.

That also means full shot routine as well, you want to simulate the real thing as much as you can. You're trying to trick your mind into not distinguishing between the course and the range.

#7 jmplautz

jmplautz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:54 PM

View Postalittleoverpar, on 25 June 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

You may not be hitting it as well on the range as you perceive.

I would like to say you're out of your freaking mind, but there's some truth to this. Last night, in particular, was rather disappointing the difference in ball flight.

#8 27x10.5

27x10.5

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45548
GolfWRX Likes : 429

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:26 PM

Visualize holes on the course and try to execute them on the range so hit driver, 7 iron, driver, 4 iron, 3 wood, wedge etc.
This hole sounds like a nightmare. Driver, duffed layup, driver off the deck to make up distance, punch out, 3 wood to green, chip...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors