Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Does shortening length affect lie angle?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SCameron009

SCameron009

~WRX~!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6118
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:27 PM

Hey all,

I was just curious, I have cut down my putter a couple times to find the length that I like and I have found that 32.5" was the best length for my set up. My Cameron was originally 34" and was ordered 2 flat (which is what I needed at the time). Now my question was, when I cut down my putter, did that effect the lie angle of the putter, although it is the same 69 with the shaft, is the affective lie different?

Thanks for your help!

- Bryan

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 utopiapga

utopiapga

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 538
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:32 PM

yes definately it does........

For every inch you take or add it changes it 1 degree. So if you are cutting yours done that much you need to adjust the lie angle accordingly. Your clubs will be much flatter than before, so i suggest you hit them off a lie board again and have them fit for you. Just don't guess by how much you are cutting them down go and take the time to go through the whole process again to make sure you are where you need to be.......

Play well........... :tongue:

#3 TigerStrong

TigerStrong

Who's sick of the "my best" guy....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6928
GolfWRX Likes : 177

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:34 PM

For every inch I think its 2*. Plus you lost head weight. You have to counterbalance the head to have the same feel. My putter is 33 inches and I use alot of lead weight behind the head and on the sole of the putter for more feel.
Adams XTD 10.5* Fubuki K  70x
Nike VR Limited 15* BlueBoard 83x
Adams Pro 21* Fubuki AX 82x
Adams XTD Forged 4-GW Dynamic Gold S300
Nike VR Forged 55* 60*
Odyssey Versa #7 33 Inch

#4 SCameron009

SCameron009

~WRX~!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:10 PM

trotgolfer, on Nov 28 2005, 07:34 PM, said:

For every inch I think its 2*. Plus you lost head weight. You have to counterbalance the head to have the same feel. My putter is 33 inches and I use alot of lead weight behind the head and on the sole of the putter for more feel.

I have had it cut down by a professional clubmaker everytime, the only clubwork I do right now is regripping, and adding lead tape. I had it measured out exactly to 1.5" short of standard, and I added lead tape accordingly (I had already had 35 grams of tape on there before I had it cut down). It amazed me how much flatter it seemed once I had it cut down, so I guess my putter is affectively playing 5 flat right now? So the right thing to do would to be, bring it back to my clubmaker, and have him bend it back to the 69 lie angle?

It really doesn't make sense that although you are cutting the putter down, with the shaft still at the same angle with the ground, wouldn't the lie angle be the same?

- Bryan

#5 lloyd_c

lloyd_c

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6726
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:08 AM

The lie angle changes because your arms are the same length as they were before the putter length changed.  To keep the effective lie angle the same after shortening the putter, you'd have to have your hands closer to the ground.

#6 IMAGOLFER

IMAGOLFER

Major Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:28 AM

trotgolfer, on Nov 28 2005, 04:34 PM, said:

Correct. For every 1/2" you shorten or lengthen a club it will effect the lie angle by 1.

Also, for every 1/2" you shorten or lengthen a club it will effect the swing weight by 3 points.

In relation to the head of the club 1 swing weight = 2 grams.

So, for every 1/2" you shorten a club you will need to add 6 grams of lead tape to the head in order to keep the same swing weight or "feel".

#7 SCameron009

SCameron009

~WRX~!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:46 PM

IMAGOLFER, on Nov 29 2005, 11:28 AM, said:

trotgolfer, on Nov 28 2005, 04:34 PM, said:

Correct. For every 1/2" you shorten or lengthen a club it will effect the lie angle by 1.

Also, for every 1/2" you shorten or lengthen a club it will effect the swing weight by 3 points.

In relation to the head of the club 1 swing weight = 2 grams.

So, for every 1/2" you shorten a club you will need to add 6 grams of lead tape to the head in order to keep the same swing weight or "feel".

Alright thanks for the information. I have all my irons and wedges at 1/4" short, and have brought them back to original swing weight, I never went by Scotty's original weight, because I love a heavier putter, so I have no issues with weight whatsoever.

That is good to know about the Lie Angle, thank you all for your assistance! I will bring my putter into the shop this week to have it bent 3 more upright to keep it at an affective 2 flat lie angle.

Thanks again, Bryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors