Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping i5 vs. Callaway x 18

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sriedy

sriedy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27758
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:57 PM

I am going to be getting a new set up clubs and I have it narrowed down to Ping i5's or Callaway x18's (Possible the Pro Series)  I was just wondering if everyone could give me their input on the 2 clubs.  I have read reviews about each, however if there is anyone who has compared these 2 by hitting them both.  

Background on me.....I am currently playing Nickent 3DX.  I play once a week and play to a 9.5.  My weakness is my longer irons.  My average carry with a 6 iron is 185.  My SS is roughly 100 give or take.  My miss is either a fade or obviously when I over compensate it turns into a pull.  And last, my ball flight is very high.  I think it is almost too high.  If you guys could help me out I would appreciate it.  Also if you need any other info about me let me know.

Thanking you guys in advance!

Edited by sriedy, 10 October 2007 - 12:58 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 mcon22

mcon22

Advanced

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23122

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:26 PM

My iron misses are somewhat similar to yours, though I play to a considerably higher handicap (19). I'm currently playing the x-18s, and I do like them, but I've actually been looking at the i5 myself, just because the thick topline of the X-18 isn't really suiting my eye anymore.

Just realized I don't actually have anything to contribute to the conversation -- I'm looking for all the same answers you are, I suppose!

#3 Meanmachinemoe

Meanmachinemoe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15279
  • Ebay ID:mohler1
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

As you can see I currently play X-18s. I have had them for over two years and so far, have been the best irons that I have played in terms of workability and forgiveness (for me). I have been looking at the Ping I-10s and while I like them, I hit the I-5s much more like my X-18s. So, if I were to change, I would go with I-5s. For your situation, you can't go wrong with either. Find the one that best suits your eye, get fit, and don't look back. You won't be disappointed with either.
Cobra Bio Cell Black 9.5D Project X 6.0
Ping G25 17*,20*,23* TFC 189H
Ping G15 5-W,UW,SW CFS w/Cushin
Titleist Vokey Design SM4 60.11 K
Ping Nome TR

#4 Bulldogdoc

Bulldogdoc

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24957
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:00 PM

I've had my x18s for 2 years.  I am always looking for new irons, but I cannot knock my callaway's out of the bag.  I've shot some really low scores with them and I find them quite forgiving and have decent workability.

#5 chop180

chop180

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33087

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:15 PM

I currently play I5's, and have demo'd the x-18s.  Actually played x-14's, x-16's, x-12's, after playing zing 2's for several years, best thing I ever did was go back to ping.  While the callaways are very good clubs, I only had one shot with all of them big draw.  Going to the I5's I found I could play most shots, while my normal shot with either was a draw, the ping was less......left, and if I open the face I can easily play a fade.  I would suggest with your swing speed that you not get the cs-lite shaft it hits very high.

#6 sriedy

sriedy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:28 PM

Thank you all for your input this far.  I started off leaning more towards the pings, and still am.  I would still like more input if anyone has it.  

Thanks

#7 ChiGolf

ChiGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31091

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:19 AM

I had the X-18's for a season and half, before I went to the Ping I5's.
They both hit the same for me, as far as distance.  My SS is just about where you are, but with the X-18's I had a slight fade and with the I5's; I was able to shape my shots a lot better at will.

And one thing I noticed that if I swung poorly and caught the X-18's on the toe, the vibrations would travel up the shafts and definitely let me know how poorly I swung.  When I hit slightly on the toe with the I5's, it doesn't punish my hands and my shot didn't veer too far off the mark,  while still letting me know that I caught the toe.

After a while, the Callaways just looked too bulky at address, and I couldn't shape it as easily as I could with the Pings.  So, my vote would be for the I5's.  I still have them as my backup set, even though I've also picked up some I10'sds.

On a side note, my buddy has the X-20's, and while they still look bulky, I think they hit better than the X-18's.  So you might want to give them a look, if you go with the Cally's.

Edited by ChiGolf, 11 October 2007 - 01:20 AM.

#8 larhed

larhed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26885

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:37 AM

Hi, I played the x-18 for two years and forgot one club at the gren so I had to buy new ones! I tested, x-20 tour, I5 and Mizuno MX 25. My sving speed is 95. The I5 was absolut the best ones, not so much offset as the old x-18. They go as far as the x-18 though they are a little bit more strong lofted.

The I 5 is not as forgiving as the x-18 but instead they have more feel and the CS lite are much better. With your swing speed I think you should try stiff shafts!

God luck
Lasse

#9 sriedy

sriedy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:37 PM

View PostAJT755, on Oct 10 2007, 10:03 PM, said:

I tried the Yes Marilyn series (mallet style) putter for awhile and gave it every chance but just didn't ever take to it..

I guess I am spoiled by my SCs...

View Postlarhed, on Oct 11 2007, 08:37 AM, said:

Hi, I played the x-18 for two years and forgot one club at the gren so I had to buy new ones! I tested, x-20 tour, I5 and Mizuno MX 25. My sving speed is 95. The I5 was absolut the best ones, not so much offset as the old x-18. They go as far as the x-18 though they are a little bit more strong lofted.

The I 5 is not as forgiving as the x-18 but instead they have more feel and the CS lite are much better. With your swing speed I think you should try stiff shafts!

God luck
Lasse

What would be better shaft brand choice for me?

#10 aloy66

aloy66

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18362

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:47 AM

View Postsriedy, on Oct 10 2007, 09:28 PM, said:

Thank you all for your input this far.  I started off leaning more towards the pings, and still am.  I would still like more input if anyone has it.  

Thanks

If you are ordering the i5's with stock CS lite shafts, make sure you order them in the swing weight you want. They usually comes in C9 range.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors