Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Putter Length


35 replies to this topic

#1 Tiger_Stud

Tiger_Stud

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 652
  • Joined: 05/12/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 May 2005 - 11:50 AM

Quote

As to " who is playing 33 inch putters" probably many tour players. Very few tour players use a 35" putter once they have been fitted properly. I think Davis Love uses 32" and he is 6'6" or something like that.

Above quoted post by Baimo is out of a proshop thread.

I think it's a quite interesting fact that Love plays such a short shaft in his putter. I can't remember him addressing the ball extremely crouched or widening his stance (which lowers height a bit) like Harrington. So at his height he must have very long arms to play 32" putter.

Is there a trend towards playing shorter shafts in putters?

I am 1,84 cm which, I guess, is about 6'2" and feel much more comfortable with my 35" putter. I do own another one in 34" but am never using it.

What lenghts do you guys feel most comfortable with?

Thanks,
TS


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 zip7111

zip7111

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 768
  • Joined: 05/24/2005
  • Location:Wisconsin
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:03 PM

33" 350g tour cammy :lol:

2

#3 Tiger_Stud

Tiger_Stud

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 652
  • Joined: 05/12/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:09 PM

zip7111, on May 25 2005, 07:03 PM, said:

33" 350g tour cammy :lol:

View Post


What's you height Zip7111?

3

#4 857 Pro-Ti

857 Pro-Ti

    Music Addict

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 463
  • Joined: 05/01/2005
  • Location:LONG ISLAND, N.Y.
  • Ebay ID:scratchgolfnut69
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:24 PM

33" Macgregor 6.4K

4

#5 dorfblee

dorfblee

    Custom member title

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 628
  • Joined: 05/10/2005
  • Location:SF Bay Area
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:26 PM

6' tall using a 33.5" Never Compromise Grey Zone 5. Had it at 35" and choked down most of the time- better head feel with the shortened shaft.


5

#6 IMAGOLFER

IMAGOLFER

    Major Winner

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226
  • Joined: 04/25/2005
  • Location:Portland, OR
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:53 PM

33 1/4" Gauge Design GAA3. I'm 6'1"

6

#7 pitbull808

pitbull808

    Putter Hoarder

  • Marshals
  • 8,726 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51
  • Joined: 04/18/2005
  • Location:HONOLULU, HAWAII

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:40 AM

I'm 6'2" and for years have been using a 35" putter.  Since I've been seeing so many of the pro's go to shorter putters, I've gone to 34".

Edit   5/28/05....I just picked up a Scotty 33" Mil Spec today......so now I'm down another inch. :lol:

7

#8 kiwidave

kiwidave

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 794
  • Joined: 05/24/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:38 AM

44 inch maltby center shaft belly, looking at getting a Guerin Rifle 2 bar though in 33 inch prob

8

#9 Gallery_gds_*

Gallery_gds_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
  • Joined: 01/01/1970
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:22 AM

Tiger_Stud, on May 25 2005, 11:50 AM, said:

Above quoted post by Baimo is out of a proshop thread.

I think it's a quite interesting fact that Love plays such a short shaft in his putter. I can't remember him addressing the ball extremely crouched or widening his stance (which lowers height a bit) like Harrington. So at his height he must have very long arms to play 32" putter.

Is there a trend towards playing shorter shafts in putters?

I am 1,84 cm which, I guess, is about 6'2" and feel much more comfortable with my 35" putter. I do own another one in 34" but am never using it.

What lenghts do you guys feel most comfortable with?

Thanks,
TS

View Post

I recently attended a Dave Pelz short game school.  During the putting session, the instructor fitted everyone for putters.  The first thing they did for everyone in the class was measure for the proper length.  In every case, the fitting showed that we all needed shorter putters.  My putter length should be 32".  The fitting also revealed that everyone needed their putter to have a more upright lie angle.  It was interesting.

9

#10 simmoboy

simmoboy

    Tour Winner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477
  • Joined: 05/02/2005
  • Location:mildura australia
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:49 AM

im 6'2" and use a 35" scottie cameron studio stainless neport 2


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 baimo

baimo

    Member

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46
  • Joined: 04/17/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:44 AM

When I went to pelz they fitted me for 30.5 inches and 78* which is the same as my clubfitter at home had measured me for. I just thought he was wriong. But I have now made the change from 33" and it has been great.
I am 5'8"

11

#12 Tiger_Stud

Tiger_Stud

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 652
  • Joined: 05/12/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:29 AM

When I went to pelz they fitted me for 30.5 inches and 78* which is the same as my clubfitter at home had measured me for.

Man that's quite a short shaft.

What are the Pelz criteria of putter fitting? What is the proper address position for putting according to the Pelz philosophy because all the fittings result in these short shafts?

TS

12

#13 baimo

baimo

    Member

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46
  • Joined: 04/17/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:06 PM

Tiger_Stud, on May 26 2005, 10:29 AM, said:

When I went to pelz they fitted me for 30.5 inches and 78* which is the same as my clubfitter at home had measured me for.

Man that's quite a short shaft.

What are the Pelz criteria of putter fitting? What is the proper address position for putting according to the Pelz philosophy because all the fittings result in these short shafts?

TS

View Post


They ask yopu to get into a position that you would feel most comfortable in. They then slip your putter into your hands at that position(my hands sat at the very bottom of my grip and the heal of the putter was off the ground.) They measure that spot for the correct legnth, lie and XXXX amount of putterhead legnths(distance) from your feet.
In theory the corrected putter will sit level on the ground with your eyes over the ball(or slightly inside) at your preferred posture.
Pelz does not advocate a shorter putter, but most of the times that is how it works out. One of the guys in our grioup was perfect at 35".
I have heard that the one reason that OEM putters are traditionall 35" is because they do not stand in a golf bag if they are shorter than that. I assume they also find that it is easier to have the putter cut down than legnthened.
Dunno the truth. But at 30.5 inches I have to make sure I have decent headweight on the putter so that I do not lose feel.

13

#14 aussiefreddy

aussiefreddy

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1124
  • Joined: 05/27/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:55 AM

I'm 5'8 I have a 33" blade putter

14

#15 1018CS

1018CS

    Irish Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88
  • Joined: 04/19/2005
  • Location:Lahinch, Ireland
  • Ebay ID:lahinchdunes
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:00 AM

I am 6'3 and am comfortable with any putter from 34.5" to 36" with my playing length being 35.5"

Cally Epic Custom Black with Diamana Whiteboard
TM M2 DF 16.5 with Fuji Pro 95
TM R7 ALE 7 Wood with Fuji Pro 95
Cobra CBs 3 - 5 & MBs 6 - 9 with C-Taper 120-S
Scratch 49* 54* 59* TD with DG S-400
Nike 006 Prototype (No Sightline) / Scotty Button Back

15

#16 JHR

JHR

    Major Winner

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1089
  • Joined: 05/26/2005
  • Location:michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:39 PM

I am 5'11" and use a 33" Cameron Del Mar 3.5 Tour Oil Can.

16

#17 Gallery_IMG5_*

Gallery_IMG5_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
  • Joined: 01/01/1970
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:56 PM

I've gone as low as 32.5", but I always seem to come back to 34".  You want your arms to hang -- BUT, I putt better with my shoulders "back", i.e. scapulas (at least I think that's the anatomical term) retracted, and that brings me back up to a 34" putter.  If you hunch your shoulders forward that can make you need as much as 1.5" shorter in the putter, in my experience.

17

#18 Gallery_jasirob_*

Gallery_jasirob_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
  • Joined: 01/01/1970
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:37 AM

IMG5, on May 27 2005, 02:56 PM, said:

I've gone as low as 32.5", but I always seem to come back to 34".  You want your arms to hang -- BUT, I putt better with my shoulders "back", i.e. scapulas (at least I think that's the anatomical term) retracted, and that brings me back up to a 34" putter.  If you hunch your shoulders forward that can make you need as much as 1.5" shorter in the putter, in my experience.

View Post



has anyone had experience with cutting their 35" to 34"?  Any impact on putter?

18

#19 zojo

zojo

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1420
  • Joined: 06/06/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:47 AM

jasirob, on Jun 7 2005, 11:37 AM, said:

IMG5, on May 27 2005, 02:56 PM, said:

I've gone as low as 32.5", but I always seem to come back to 34".  You want your arms to hang -- BUT, I putt better with my shoulders "back", i.e. scapulas (at least I think that's the anatomical term) retracted, and that brings me back up to a 34" putter.  If you hunch your shoulders forward that can make you need as much as 1.5" shorter in the putter, in my experience.

View Post



has anyone had experience with cutting their 35" to 34"?  Any impact on putter?

View Post



I guess it depends on what putter. It will feel lighter, but I don't think theres a ton of difference, plus you can always fix it by lead tape. I usually use a 34 or 35" putter, and I'm only 6'0"

19

#20 IMAGOLFER

IMAGOLFER

    Major Winner

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226
  • Joined: 04/25/2005
  • Location:Portland, OR
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:49 AM

jasirob, on Jun 7 2005, 08:37 AM, said:

IMG5, on May 27 2005, 02:56 PM, said:

I've gone as low as 32.5", but I always seem to come back to 34".  You want your arms to hang -- BUT, I putt better with my shoulders "back", i.e. scapulas (at least I think that's the anatomical term) retracted, and that brings me back up to a 34" putter.  If you hunch your shoulders forward that can make you need as much as 1.5" shorter in the putter, in my experience.

View Post



has anyone had experience with cutting their 35" to 34"?  Any impact on putter?

View Post


The putter will feel less head heavy. You may tend to leave putts short for a while. You may want to compensate the weight loss with some lead tape on the head of the putter.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 Tiger_Stud

Tiger_Stud

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 652
  • Joined: 05/12/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:51 AM

Quote from Scottys FAQ's

Quote

Q: Why can you only change length 1/2 inch?
A: We can only add or subtract 1/2 inch because any additional length changes will significantly affect the swing weight and balance of your putter.

So I guess 1 inch will have an impact on your putter.

TS

21

#22 IMAGOLFER

IMAGOLFER

    Major Winner

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226
  • Joined: 04/25/2005
  • Location:Portland, OR
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:51 AM

whoops, didn't see zojo already responded...

22

#23 IMAGOLFER

IMAGOLFER

    Major Winner

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 226
  • Joined: 04/25/2005
  • Location:Portland, OR
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:52 AM

whoops, didn't see zojo already responded...

23

#24 corky

corky

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1237
  • Joined: 05/30/2005
  • Location:Washington DC
GolfWRX Likes : 812

Posted 07 June 2005 - 12:14 PM

5' 9" and use a 35" (Bettinardi 35")

24

#25 Goose

Goose

    Major Winner

  • Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1339
  • Joined: 06/03/2005
  • Location:Northeast

Posted 07 June 2005 - 03:16 PM

Tiger_Stud, on May 25 2005, 12:50 PM, said:

Quote

As to " who is playing 33 inch putters" probably many tour players. Very few tour players use a 35" putter once they have been fitted properly. I think Davis Love uses 32" and he is 6'6" or something like that.

Above quoted post by Baimo is out of a proshop thread.

I think it's a quite interesting fact that Love plays such a short shaft in his putter. I can't remember him addressing the ball extremely crouched or widening his stance (which lowers height a bit) like Harrington. So at his height he must have very long arms to play 32" putter.

Is there a trend towards playing shorter shafts in putters?

I am 1,84 cm which, I guess, is about 6'2" and feel much more comfortable with my 35" putter. I do own another one in 34" but am never using it.

What lenghts do you guys feel most comfortable with?

Thanks,
TS

View Post


Davis Love III actually uses a 35.25"

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX
PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX
PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X
PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X
PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X
Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

25

#26 Gallery_golfclubHO_*

Gallery_golfclubHO_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
  • Joined: 01/01/1970
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:31 PM

6'-3"

34-inch putter(s)

(tried to go up to a 35 over the winter, trying to stand a little straighter and thinking I could practice easier/longer - but it didn't work - "experiment" failed miserably as I saw my putt count rise. went back to a 34 and former putting stats returned)

26

#27 kenfuji

kenfuji

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1456
  • Joined: 06/08/2005
  • Location:NY
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 June 2005 - 08:31 PM

6'2"
use 37"-38"

27

#28 zojo

zojo

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1420
  • Joined: 06/06/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 12 June 2005 - 09:08 PM

well, im 6'0" and just got my cameron the other day at 35" inches, and it fits perfectly. Couldn't ask for anything better

28

#29 lidomkj

lidomkj

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1494
  • Joined: 06/08/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:54 AM

33"

29

#30 dorfblee

dorfblee

    Custom member title

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 628
  • Joined: 05/10/2005
  • Location:SF Bay Area
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:47 PM

33.5" Never Compromise Greyzone 5.

6' tall.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors