Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The Best Way to Wash/ Clean a Hat.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bjackson

bjackson

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 4,576 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8942

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:07 AM

I have some of my hats that are starting to show some dirt on the inner sweat band, and for two on the exterior.  What are the best ways (exactly) to clean these white hats so they look like new?  Please only post if you have done this process before.  Thanks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Gxgolfer

Gxgolfer

Site Founder & Co-Owner

• Rules Official
  • 14,349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:17 AM

http://www.golfwrx.c...amp;hl=wash hat

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
http://www.golfwrx.c...t-ad-questions/
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

#3 cameronputtercollector

cameronputtercollector

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 961
  • Handicap:4.0
  • Ebay ID:cameronputtercollector
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:07 AM

The BEST WAY to clean a hat. No matter the color. Get's the sweat stain, dirt etc off. Put the hat in a swimming pool. I found this out on accident this year when my 1 year old pulled my hat off my head. I stayed in the pool for about 45 minutes. When it dired it LOOKED BRAND NEW. The chemicals/chlorine in the pool clean it. I've put black, blue, white hats in there and they all come out looking BRAND NEW and NO, it doesn't fade them. Try it and I promise you will LOVE IT!!!

#4 neal76

neal76

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22022
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

i wash mine by puttting them in a piller case then wash in the washing machine.
always works well.

#5 dday

dday

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34517

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:57 PM

Putting them in the dishwasher works great too, the cases they make for hats to be washed in wore holes in my hats so I don't used them anymore.

#6 dday

dday

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34517

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:59 PM

View Postdday, on Oct 5 2007, 02:57 PM, said:

Putting them in the dishwasher works great too, the cases they make for hats to be washed in wore holes in my hats so I don't used them anymore.
Another thing, white hats that have been let go for to long, IMO, cannot be returned to white. I had one that hadn't been washed in a year then washed it, it didn't stink anymore but it had a perminate yellow ring around the outside.

Edited by dday, 05 October 2007 - 02:59 PM.

#7 daboomer

daboomer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38938

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:14 PM

Top rack of the dishwasher works great. Just as the previous poster said. Also use oxyclean in a bucket of hot water. this works really good too. soak the hat for an hour or two. Follow the directions on the container for water to oxyclean ratio. Usually it's 2 gallons and 1 or 2 scoops.

#8 bjackson

bjackson

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 4,576 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8942

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

Well last night I threw in a load of whites into the laundry with my all white Titleist A flex hat in hot/cold water, having used Shout! to help the process.  After it was done, I put the hat in my perfectcurve hat curver thing to let it dry.  Came out like new.  I am very impressed.  Didn't mess up the bill or anything.

#9 VanillaEps

VanillaEps

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40279

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:03 PM

+1 on the dishwasher.  That's how I break in and wash my hats.  The hot water also molds the brim so when it dries out, the brim stays curved.

#10 handmadeaddicted

handmadeaddicted

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7120
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:51 PM

Any way to not shrink them though guys I have a big head and I dont want to mess my hats up. But man I sweat in my hats way way to much.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 jjl

jjl

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4664
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:12 PM

For regular cotton hats, i've tried the diswasher thing, and it didn't work for me, it shrunk my hat a bit, which is the last thing i need. it also changed the color of my hat somewhat.  i've taken to spraying some Febreeze into my hat to get rid of the sweat odor (gross), but have taken to just buying a new hat when the old ones get too dirty.
Titleist 910 D2 9.5*
Taylor Made JetSpeed Rescue 22*
Taylor Made SLDR 4-AW
Titleist Vokey SM5 50*, 56*, 60*
Taylor Made Project (a)
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.7

#12 muxi87

muxi87

muxi87

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,090 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32234
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:00 PM

View Postcameronputtercollector, on Oct 5 2007, 11:07 AM, said:

The BEST WAY to clean a hat. No matter the color. Get's the sweat stain, dirt etc off. Put the hat in a swimming pool. I found this out on accident this year when my 1 year old pulled my hat off my head. I stayed in the pool for about 45 minutes. When it dired it LOOKED BRAND NEW. The chemicals/chlorine in the pool clean it. I've put black, blue, white hats in there and they all come out looking BRAND NEW and NO, it doesn't fade them. Try it and I promise you will LOVE IT!!!

Yep, second the above...when my are looking bad during the summer, I'll make sure to take a swim in them.  Cleans them up quick without deforming them.  They actually fit better afterwards because they form to your head while drying.

I also wash them by hand when I'm in a hurry or throw them in the washing machine if I think about it.  I've never messed one up doing either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors