Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Advantage/Disadvantage of a Wide Sole Iron

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PingPoncho

PingPoncho

PingPoncho

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13867
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:41 AM

What is the reason Callaway etc irons have a Wide Sole on some models. What is the wide sole supposed to provide. Is it hype or does it work. Which Wide Sole iron has the most following?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 JDorfler

JDorfler

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31783
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:49 AM

The wider the sole, the less chance of you digging into the turf.  (Kinda like how the bounce on a sandwedge doesn't allow you to dig too deep into the sand)  This helps a player not hit so many fat shots if you hit behind the ball.  But it does slow your swing down a lot in rough, and also is harder to perform a lot of trickier shots.

The thinner soles help a lot in the rough.  This way it's easier to dig through the taller grass to hit your ball.

#3 Baconator

Baconator

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38188
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:33 AM

JDorfler, on Oct 4 2007, 07:49 AM, said:

The wider the sole, the less chance of you digging into the turf.  (Kinda like how the bounce on a sandwedge doesn't allow you to dig too deep into the sand)  This helps a player not hit so many fat shots if you hit behind the ball.  But it does slow your swing down a lot in rough, and also is harder to perform a lot of trickier shots.

The thinner soles help a lot in the rough.  This way it's easier to dig through the taller grass to hit your ball.

Hmm . . . not to question you, but I've personally found that a wider sole actually helps reduces the tendency of the club to get caught up in the rough. Then again, there's not a lot about my game that's conventional ;) .

#4 JDorfler

JDorfler

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31783
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:41 AM

Baconator, on Oct 4 2007, 08:33 PM, said:

JDorfler, on Oct 4 2007, 07:49 AM, said:

Hmm . . . not to question you, but I've personally found that a wider sole actually helps reduces the tendency of the club to get caught up in the rough. Then again, there's not a lot about my game that's conventional ;) .

Hey, just repeating what's on the box so to speak.  If you hit better in the rough with a wider sole, then do it.  That's why there are so many products out there.  If everyone was the same this would be a very boring world.

#5 hbear

hbear

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3507
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:26 AM

I find the wider soles really hard to "dig" a ball out of deep rough...or when the ball is sitting way down in the grass.
Out of short rough it's the same, but when the ball is buried, I can get a MUCH better contact with a thinner soled iron.
I hate my 4/5 irons from a buried lie (mx23) while I love my other irons, no matter what the rough is like (mp60s).

Going to pull the trigger on some mp60 4/5 irons because of this fact...especially since tournaments are really starting to stretch me out.
(7100-7400 yards)

Taylormade SLDR 430 10.5* w/ Ahina 70x
Callaway XHot Pro 15* w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors