Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Swing weight D1, D2,D3,D4

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 juansky

juansky

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15356
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:14 PM

How do the manufacturers adjust swing weights on irons?

Also, what's the difference in weight between each weight category?

Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 *sigh*

*sigh*

Go Sun Devils!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38315
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:24 PM

Well to answer your second question, swingweight really isn't about the actual mass of the club.  Its much more affected about where the mass is distributed throughout the club.

#3 thewitt

thewitt

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7126

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:19 PM

Swingweight is adjusted by changing head weight. During assembly, this is done by adding tip weights.

The numbers D1, D2 are simply the scale, and are historical in nature.

It takes roughly 2g of weight in the head to move from D1 to D2.

5 SW points equals 1/2 a flex, so if you add 10g to the head, you add 5 SW points and soften the shaft by 1/2 a flex.

-t

#4 juansky

juansky

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15356

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:29 PM

Very cool, thanks for info fellas!

#5 HoosierGolfer

HoosierGolfer

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27317
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:25 AM

View Postthewitt, on Oct 3 2007, 06:19 PM, said:

Swingweight is adjusted by changing head weight. During assembly, this is done by adding tip weights.

The numbers D1, D2 are simply the scale, and are historical in nature.

It takes roughly 2g of weight in the head to move from D1 to D2.

5 SW points equals 1/2 a flex, so if you add 10g to the head, you add 5 SW points and soften the shaft by 1/2 a flex.

-t
Hi "thewitt".  Can you answer a question for me?  In another thread there was some questions about swingweight after cutting down a driver shaft.
If my driver has a SW of D2 and I cut off 0.5" from the butt end and the cutoff weigh's 3 grams, can I add 3 grams of lead tape at the butt end and still maintain the D2 SW?
Thanks,
CO

#6 JeremyFXDWG

JeremyFXDWG

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38306

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:50 AM

So if 5 SW points reduce the flex by 1/2... What swingweight is used to determine a shaft flex..say a s300?

Just my curiosity..

JP

#7 belote

belote

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24622
  • Ebay ID:xbelotex

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:37 AM

It doesnt really work like that jeremy.  Shafts come in a flex based on the shaft alone, so every s300 is (almost) the same flex.  What the rule of thumb that you are using is that if you load up the head so much that it changes the swing weight, this will cause the shaft to go softer.  So for example, you have two superquads - one you play at d2 with a stiff 65 gram shaft with the regular weights (i think its 12-1-1-12) and the other you load in 12-14-14-12 (not recommended, could cause structural integrity issues) and it plays at d7 with the same shaft.  This will cause your shaft to play to less than a stiff in your second driver, even though the shafts are exactly the same.
So basically, while that is probably a true rule of thumb, it isn't really practical.  With exception of wedges, you are probably never going to add enough weight to the head to change 5 SW points.

#8 thewitt

thewitt

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7126

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:04 PM

View PostCallawayOnly, on Oct 5 2007, 08:25 AM, said:

Hi "thewitt".  Can you answer a question for me?  In another thread there was some questions about swingweight after cutting down a driver shaft.
If my driver has a SW of D2 and I cut off 0.5" from the butt end and the cutoff weigh's 3 grams, can I add 3 grams of lead tape at the butt end and still maintain the D2 SW?
Thanks,
CO
No.

The change in length is what changed the swingweight, not the removal of a 3g piece of shaft butt.

You would have to add weight to the head to bring the swingweight back up - approximately 6g - since shortening the shaft will reduce the swingweight by 3 points.

I wouldn't worry about it though.

Go hit it first before you think you need to change the swingweight.

Shorter clubs simply have a lower swingweight...  If the shaft flex is soft enough for you, you'll still feel the head just fine.

-t

#9 HoosierGolfer

HoosierGolfer

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27317
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:10 AM

Thans "thewitt".  Everything still feels fine in my case.  I actually cut my FT-i down from 45.75 to 44.50.  It had a SW of D0 at the regular length, but the feel is OK wiht me at the shorter lenght.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors