Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Calvin or Hobbes Headcovers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stansoph

stansoph

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38556
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:14 AM

Is there such a thing? I have searched high and low and still no luck.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 golfncode

golfncode

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34415

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:02 AM

I remember reading once upon a time that Bill Watterson would never license the Calvin and Hobbes images/comics and that was one of the big fights he had with his syndication company.  All those "Calvin" images you see on T-shirts and on the stickers, etc, are unlicensed reproductions.

My guess is, if you want to find one, you'll have to find someone who's made an "unauthorized" one.

Edited by golfncode, 02 October 2007 - 06:05 AM.

#3 stansoph

stansoph

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:16 AM

Just my luck. I should shoot Bill an email and see if he is ready to change his mind. Thanks for the info.

#4 teamarctic

teamarctic

Chicks dig the long ball!!

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30415
  • Ebay ID:-bsimon2008
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:22 AM

if you do find any, please let me know, that is my favorite comic strip of all time.

#5 ToddGsell

ToddGsell

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17203
  • Ebay ID:toddgsell

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:43 AM

View Postgolfncode, on Oct 2 2007, 04:02 AM, said:

I remember reading once upon a time that Bill Watterson would never license the Calvin and Hobbes images/comics and that was one of the big fights he had with his syndication company.  All those "Calvin" images you see on T-shirts and on the stickers, etc, are unlicensed reproductions.

Yeah, I think the author talks about never licensing his characters in the 10th Anniversary book. I'm not sure if I still have the book anymore, but for anyone who is a fan of the comic series, I highly recommend picking it up. The author goes into the philosophy behind his creations, and it makes a great comic strip even better.

Looking back, I think I gave up on reading the comics in the paper each morning just about the time Watterson retired. Calvin and Hobbes left a big hole, and I hope someday someone clever finds a way to fill it up.

#6 stansoph

stansoph

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:39 AM

I have been using a Cat in the Hat headcover for my driver. My mom was nice enough to meld a stuffed Cat in the Hat and a headcover to make a very cool conversation piece.

#7 Sam-Tee-Time

Sam-Tee-Time

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1808
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:59 AM

View Postgolfncode, on Oct 2 2007, 06:02 AM, said:

My guess is, if you want to find one, you'll have to find someone who's made an "unauthorized" one.

So why hasn't he cracked down on  Calvin urinating on every other logo around? I see those stickers EVERYWHERE, with the little bastage urinating on Dodge, Chevy, Ford, etc. etc. etc.

Posted Image

#8 golfncode

golfncode

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34415

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:27 AM

I found this site after a Google search: Jim Hill Media - Jackson King blog:

One of the most persistent bootleg items is the image of a badly drawn Calvin urinating on a number or a car company logo. This image first appeared nearly ten years ago and reportedly started with NASCAR racing. Rob Mattingly displayed the decal with Calvin urinating on a number "3", as a commentary on his competitiveness against racer Dale Earnhardt who drove the No. 3 car. (Other racers had Calvin urinating on a "2" or "24" which were the car numbers of drivers Rusty Wallace and Jeff Gordon.) Soon, a variation on the decal appeared with Calvin relieving himself on the logos for Ford or Chevrolet (cars with which certain racers were identified.

In 1997, Peggy Marshall, who was the manager of "Racetrack Concepts" store specializing in NASCAR paraphernalia, reported selling twenty decals a day at four dollars each. Ken Zimmerman, a co-owner of "Pit Row Racing," said the "... stickers are a very good seller for me."

At the time, Vice President and Editor at United Press Syndicate Lee Salem bemoaned the fact that with many of the stickers were being made using computers in home basements and that they were difficult to track down and prosecute. (Although they have aggressively prosecuted others included those who manufactured t-shirts featuring the characters.)

"We've contemplated legal action," said Lee Salem. But the cost involved in finding those who make and sell the decals would far exceed what Universal could win in damages. "Bill's as frustrated as we are."

Interestingly, many of the NASCAR drivers' names and car numbers are trademarked. So NASCAR was also concerned about these unauthorized items. (Although at least one NASCAR spokesman was unconcerned and saw the stickers as merely being an expression of fans' enthusiasm for racing and loyalty to favorite figures.)

South Carolina began ticketing drivers $200 for displaying the Calvin urinating decal because it violated the state's obscenity regulations. However, in North Carolina, the Highway Patrol made no arrests because the stickers were not considered a "high priority." Legally, a private citizen could file a criminal complaint against a car displaying the decal but there seems to be no record of that happening.

#9 TracyS

TracyS

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5516
  • Ebay ID:tracy_was_here
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:54 PM

View PostToddGsell, on Oct 2 2007, 09:43 PM, said:

View Postgolfncode, on Oct 2 2007, 04:02 AM, said:

Yeah, I think the author talks about never licensing his characters in the 10th Anniversary book. I'm not sure if I still have the book anymore, but for anyone who is a fan of the comic series, I highly recommend picking it up. The author goes into the philosophy behind his creations, and it makes a great comic strip even better.

Looking back, I think I gave up on reading the comics in the paper each morning just about the time Watterson retired. Calvin and Hobbes left a big hole, and I hope someday someone clever finds a way to fill it up.

View Postgolfncode, on Oct 3 2007, 06:27 AM, said:

I found this site after a Google search: Jim Hill Media - Jackson King blog:

One of the most persistent bootleg items is the image of a badly drawn Calvin urinating on a number or a car company logo. This image first appeared nearly ten years ago and reportedly started with NASCAR racing. Rob Mattingly displayed the decal with Calvin urinating on a number "3", as a commentary on his competitiveness against racer Dale Earnhardt who drove the No. 3 car. (Other racers had Calvin urinating on a "2" or "24" which were the car numbers of drivers Rusty Wallace and Jeff Gordon.) Soon, a variation on the decal appeared with Calvin relieving himself on the logos for Ford or Chevrolet (cars with which certain racers were identified.

In 1997, Peggy Marshall, who was the manager of "Racetrack Concepts" store specializing in NASCAR paraphernalia, reported selling twenty decals a day at four dollars each. Ken Zimmerman, a co-owner of "Pit Row Racing," said the "... stickers are a very good seller for me."

At the time, Vice President and Editor at United Press Syndicate Lee Salem bemoaned the fact that with many of the stickers were being made using computers in home basements and that they were difficult to track down and prosecute. (Although they have aggressively prosecuted others included those who manufactured t-shirts featuring the characters.)

"We've contemplated legal action," said Lee Salem. But the cost involved in finding those who make and sell the decals would far exceed what Universal could win in damages. "Bill's as frustrated as we are."

Interestingly, many of the NASCAR drivers' names and car numbers are trademarked. So NASCAR was also concerned about these unauthorized items. (Although at least one NASCAR spokesman was unconcerned and saw the stickers as merely being an expression of fans' enthusiasm for racing and loyalty to favorite figures.)

South Carolina began ticketing drivers $200 for displaying the Calvin urinating decal because it violated the state's obscenity regulations. However, in North Carolina, the Highway Patrol made no arrests because the stickers were not considered a "high priority." Legally, a private citizen could file a criminal complaint against a car displaying the decal but there seems to be no record of that happening.

Very sad that Watterson's genius and the spirit of his work have been insulted like this.  I can't stand these stickers.  As far as the headcover goes, like the poster above mentioned, you won't find a legitimate one.  I'd hope that if one does find a bootleg, they would respect Watterson's wishes and not support this type of activity, especially if he or she were a fan of 'Calvin and Hobbes.'  

As a side note, I stopped looking at the comic page once Calvin and Hobbes ended as well.  Nothing has come close to being as insightful or sincere since.

Edited by tracys, 04 October 2007 - 08:56 PM.

Callaway Big Bertha
Sonartec NP99 17*
Exotics XRail 20*, Callaway XHot 23*
Callaway Apex Forged 5-P
Vokey SM4 50*, SM5 56* S Grind
TP Mills Custom Softtail

#10 TracyS

TracyS

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5516
  • Ebay ID:tracy_was_here
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:59 PM

View Postgolfncode, on Oct 2 2007, 01:02 AM, said:

That's why he ended the strip.  There was overwhelming pressure for him to license his characters and he wouldn't budge.  Much respect to Bill Watterson for holding his own against his syndacite.

Callaway Big Bertha
Sonartec NP99 17*
Exotics XRail 20*, Callaway XHot 23*
Callaway Apex Forged 5-P
Vokey SM4 50*, SM5 56* S Grind
TP Mills Custom Softtail

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors