Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

jll62's WITB - End of 2018

TaylorMade RSi TP UDI Itsy Bitsy C-Taper M2 Tour AD GP Milled Grind TP5x Hi-Toe

95 replies to this topic

#91 jll62

jll62

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9627
  • Handicap:+4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1445

Posted 28 December 2018 - 09:45 AM

PatsNation, on 27 December 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

You get a chance to hit the 760s yet?

Yeah. When I was at TaylorMade in late November getting a look at the 2019 product line, I was able to carve out a little time to hit a P760 6-iron. I'm intrigued. I liked the look of the head in person and thought it felt like a normal forged players CB 6-iron, as opposed to the way the P790 felt. However they're using speed foam, they seemed to have done it in such a way that didn't change the feel. Numbers on TrackMan were comparable to what I'm currently playing, but the P760 did launch a bit higher (going off memory...I didn't have my club to compare against). I'm already a high ball player, so that was a bit of a negative for me.

The biggest factor that will likely prevent me from upgrading is the total cost. I play with an iron shaft not available from TaylorMade's custom shop (C-Taper S+) and I'd have them rebuilt using MOI matching. I'm fine with the P760 being sold for $1399 at retail, but I'd have to add a few hundred more on top of that to get them built to spec. I don't think the value add is there to make that investment. Not right now, anyway.

TaylorMade M3 9.5, GD Tour AD GP-6s, 44.5"
TaylorMade M3 T3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
TaylorMade P-770 3-4, DG X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade RSi TP 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60 (58), DG S400
TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#92 pdaero

pdaero

Hall of Fame

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,809 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56310
  • Handicap:0.3
  • Ebay ID:pdhch85
GolfWRX Likes : 279

Posted 29 December 2018 - 12:23 AM

I love how attentive you are to your game and how that plays out with the equipment you select - I am surprised you only play wedges for a year and replace, but maybe you play significantly more golf than I do. How did you like the X-Torsion Copper 70TX you showed a few months ago? Also, how do you decipher which iron shafts play better in your set of irons and wedges than others? It seems like your knowledge and understanding of what works and what doesn't (and how you realize) is significantly fine-tuned.

Titleist 917D2 9.5* w/ Aldila X-Torsion Copper 60TX; Titleist 915F 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X; Titleist 915H 18* w/ Diamana S+ 90 X

Titleist 716CB 3-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd; Vokey SM6 53.09*, 59.07* w/ DG TI S400

PING Anser Milled 0 34"

#93 jll62

jll62

Major Winner

• 1,783 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2018 - 10:54 AM

pdaero, on 29 December 2018 - 12:23 AM, said:

I love how attentive you are to your game and how that plays out with the equipment you select - I am surprised you only play wedges for a year and replace, but maybe you play significantly more golf than I do. How did you like the X-Torsion Copper 70TX you showed a few months ago? Also, how do you decipher which iron shafts play better in your set of irons and wedges than others? It seems like your knowledge and understanding of what works and what doesn't (and how you realize) is significantly fine-tuned.

Thanks! I’ve been playing for a long time, so I tend to know what works for me and what doesn’t. However, I've also learned that it’s easy for me to adapt to something that doesn’t fit quite right, so I have to be meticulous when selecting options. A few seasons ago I was playing iron shafts that did not fit me at all. It was that experience that caused me to be a little more data driven when selecting shafts. I choose them by a combination of best feel, best dispersion, and finally consistency of all the launch monitor data (in that order). The last iron shaft fitting I did was fairly intensive, but I can share that process with you if you'd like.

With regard to wedges, by the end of the year the grooves will have worn enough to change their performance. They'll launch a little higher and spin a little less than what I'm expecting. The game is hard enough as it is without having to adjust to clubs whose performance characteristics are changing over time, so I just replace them to get back to the baseline level of what I'm expecting. I practice twice a week and play about 60 rounds a year, with maybe 40% of those in competition. I'm sure I could probably squeeze two seasons out of them, but it's one area that I need to have dialed in, so I invest in the performance each season.

I had high hopes for the X-Torsion Copper based on some comparisons to the Tensei Orange V2 proto I read here on WRX, but the 70 just wasn't for me (a 60 may have been a better fit). I'm quite happy with the Tour AD GP-6s I have now. I've always been an S/X tweener in the driver, so the stiffer GP-6s fits pretty well. With driver shafts, I'm obviously looking for certain performance benchmarks, but there's also a feel I'm after that helps me choose between similar performing shafts. If I feel the shaft working at all in the swing, it's out. When I've found one that fits, I know it almost instantly. It's like the shaft is just an extension of my arms, if that makes sense.

I used to be known within my circle as the guy who would always have something new in the bag, but lately I've settled down. Having some empirical data behind my selections has helped remove doubt about my equipment choices and it makes it harder for me to replace a club. But I still like to test everything!
TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB

#94 PatsNation

PatsNation

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125004
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 324

Posted 29 December 2018 - 01:52 PM

jll62, on 28 December 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

Yeah. When I was at TaylorMade in late November getting a look at the 2019 product line, I was able to carve out a little time to hit a P760 6-iron. I'm intrigued. I liked the look of the head in person and thought it felt like a normal forged players CB 6-iron, as opposed to the way the P790 felt. However they're using speed foam, they seemed to have done it in such a way that didn't change the feel. Numbers on TrackMan were comparable to what I'm currently playing, but the P760 did launch a bit higher (going off memory...I didn't have my club to compare against). I'm already a high ball player, so that was a bit of a negative for me.

The biggest factor that will likely prevent me from upgrading is the total cost. I play with an iron shaft not available from TaylorMade's custom shop (C-Taper S+) and I'd have them rebuilt using MOI matching. I'm fine with the P760 being sold for $1399 at retail, but I'd have to add a few hundred more on top of that to get them built to spec. I don't think the value add is there to make that investment. Not right now, anyway.
gotcha thanks. Iím a high ball/high spin guy as well may bend them a little strong if I end up getting them. Actually really like the look of the RS TP you play. Can get them for a good deal with c tapers.

#95 jll62

jll62

Major Winner

• 1,783 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2018 - 02:12 PM

PatsNation, on 29 December 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

jll62, on 28 December 2018 - 09:45 AM, said:

gotcha thanks. I'm a high ball/high spin guy as well may bend them a little strong if I end up getting them. Actually really like the look of the RS TP you play. Can get them for a good deal with c tapers.

I play my RSi TP a little strong to try and flight them down a bit.  I think TaylorMade hit on a nice headshape with the RSi and I'm glad they stuck with it for their recent player's CB irons. The 750 I have at home are very similar in shape to the RSi and the 760s seem to have followed suit.

TaylorMade TP5x #12

jll62's WITB

#96 jll62

jll62

Major Winner

• 1,783 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:30 AM

First bag change of 2019: Replaced the original UDI 2 with a P-790 UDI 2.

I have a feeling I'm just getting started...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4444.jpg
  • IMG_4446.jpg
  • IMG_4445.jpg