Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Is there a strategy for four man best ball

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fodslad

fodslad

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27454
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:31 AM

Is there any strategy's for this format such as best putter first or straightest driver tees off first?

The format I am talking about is everyone shoots from the best ball.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 belote

belote

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24622
  • Ebay ID:xbelotex

Posted 04 September 2007 - 07:41 AM

straightest driver first, let the bombers try to hit a long one if there is already a decent ball.
best putter goes last so he gets the read 3 times before having to hit it

#3 JDorfler

JDorfler

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31783
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:42 PM

belote, on Sep 4 2007, 08:41 PM, said:

straightest driver first, let the bombers try to hit a long one if there is already a decent ball.

Have to disagree with the bombers part of the statement.  I just played in a Charity Tourney last weekend.  I was the bomber.  You let the other three folks go first.  1.  Your shot does not effect their subconscious and force them to try to crank it themselves.  2.  If they flub all their shots at least you know to calm it down a bit and make sure your ball is playable.

This goes for every shot.  The best person goes last.  This way there is less stress and the better person can even learn more from the other three to help with their shot.

#4 brettcra

brettcra

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29677

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:54 PM

JDorfler, on Sep 4 2007, 01:42 PM, said:

Have to disagree with the bombers part of the statement.  I just played in a Charity Tourney last weekend.  I was the bomber.  You let the other three folks go first.  1.  Your shot does not effect their subconscious and force them to try to crank it themselves.  2.  If they flub all their shots at least you know to calm it down a bit and make sure your ball is playable.

This goes for every shot.  The best person goes last.  This way there is less stress and the better person can even learn more from the other three to help with their shot.
What are you disagreeing with?  Seems to me that you said the exact same thing.

#5 mcbush25

mcbush25

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2619
  • Ebay ID:mcbush25
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:00 PM

The strategy I have always used no matter who I play with is to let the most accurate driver go first and get something out there and in play and then let everyone else try to go past them, but if they don't or they stray left or right then you have one safe and in play.  As for putting I have always been on teams in which the best putter putted last.  Hopefully it doesn't get to them, but if it does they have had plenty of opportunities to read the break on the putt.

#6 primetimer006

primetimer006

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6170
  • Ebay ID:primetimer006
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:11 PM

called scramble.  FYI

#7 JDorfler

JDorfler

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:28 PM

brettcra, on Sep 5 2007, 01:54 AM, said:

JDorfler, on Sep 4 2007, 01:42 PM, said:

What are you disagreeing with?  Seems to me that you said the exact same thing.

Umm, misread.  However the guys I was playing with, well, they weren't straight either.  LOL.

#8 d0n

d0n

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34814

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:28 PM

Not to beat a dead horse but get a good drive out there, then let everyone else swing out of their shoes.  The worst putter putts first and shows the others the line.  If you're playing with handicaps figured in, you may want to consider at least one 30+ handicapper.  Make sure every member of your group buy as many mulligans as they can.  If you really want to win, throw out all of your ambitions of playing fair and ethically because 9 times out of 10 the winning group did just that.

Edited by d0n, 04 September 2007 - 03:30 PM.

#9 JDorfler

JDorfler

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

d0n, on Sep 5 2007, 04:28 AM, said:

Not to beat a dead horse but get a good drive out there, then let everyone else swing out of their shoes.  The worst putter putts first and shows the others the line.  If you're playing with handicaps figured in, you may want to consider at least one 30+ handicapper.  Make sure every member of your group buy as many mulligans as they can.  If you really want to win, throw out all of your ambitions of playing fair and ethically because 9 times out of 10 the winning group did just that.

Umm, yep.  The part about the 30 handicapper is just right.  The team that beat us had two on their team and two scratch players.

#10 larrybud

larrybud

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 725

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:48 AM

fodslad, on Sep 4 2007, 08:31 AM, said:

Is there any strategy's for this format such as best putter first or straightest driver tees off first?

The format I am talking about is everyone shoots from the best ball.

Just to add a couple of things.  If you really want to win or compete in a scramble, EVERY person must focus on EVERY shot.  If you have a 5 foot putt, make sure the first guy is trying to make it as much as the last guy.   Make sure everybody is ready to read the putt the first guy is taking.

Same with tee shots.  While you might ask the first guy "just get one out there", it's very easy for the first couple of guys figure the better two guys will always come through.  You NEED those first couple of guys to hit decent shots so the risky shot can be taken by the better players.

The scrambles that I've been on and won have been ones where the poorer players really contributed.

Also, I like to have a standing rule that any putt that is left short, that player throws a buck into the pot.  The pot then can go to buying some beer at the end of the round!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors