Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 21 votes

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

2528 replies to this topic

#2311 Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17841
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:34 AM

View PostSnell Golf, on 22 September 2017 - 07:44 AM, said:

View PostJarlaxle, on 21 September 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

View PostSnell Golf, on 20 September 2017 - 10:42 AM, said:

View PostStanks, on 11 September 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

Any update on that 4 Piece ball?
Hi.. was on the road the last two weeks... what 4pc ball are you talking about?   haha... we are have been testing like crazy the last two months... good stuff coming for sure..  thanks for your patience...
Thanks for the update.  Is this going to replace the current MTB or will it be a standalone line?  

Also if you are still testing I assume the exact design isn't locked down yet? Given your answer in the video, that means it will take an additional two to three months (at a bare minimum) before you could actually start production once you finalize the design (given need for approval by USGA plus time to get packaging sorted out).   So we are looking at a 2018 launch sort of no matter what, is that fair?
The actual launch date will be determined very soon... testing is on final protos, so we should be ready to place orders for balls for the launch soon... The USGA process is already underway, and packaging is almost finished as well... things are moving along very well... Early 2018 is for sure the latest....
Thanks!

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time."  

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo III 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W w/ Speeder Evo III 661 Stiff
Callaway RAZR X-Tour Hybrids (2 and 4)
Mizuno MP-53 Irons w/ Project X 5.5 (5-PW)
Miura Y Grind 51 w/ Project X 5.5
Miura C Grind 55 w/ Project X 5.5
Miura K Grind 60 w/ Project X 5.5
Byron Morgan 007 (350g)
Titleist Lightweight Stand Bag

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2312 TheGolfingFirefighter

TheGolfingFirefighter

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 408648
  • Ebay ID:golfaddict93
GolfWRX Likes : 722

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

Just played the MTB for the first time. Great ball. Spun well into these hard Georgia greens, and pretty good feel off the putter. Shot my second lowest round ever with it.
SLDR-C 10.5
Adams Tightlies 16*
Wilson Reflex 4-Gw
Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 54/58*
Maxfli Tad Moore TM-1
Taylormade Project a

#2313 Sanzabar

Sanzabar

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125516
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 151

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

Another round in the 70s with the MTB. I just love this this.

Found my first knock on it and that's the durability. While it's not the worst, it's a pretty huge gap between the Truvis and MTB as far as durability goes. Not from trees or cart paths, I've just noticed where it seems like a little of the cover is missing from the ball.
Callaway Epic SZ w/Rogue Max
Callaway V-Series 3 wood

Callaway V-Series Heavenwood
Srixon Z H45 22*
Nike Vapor Pro Combo w/DG AMT S300

Callaway PM Grind 56/60*
SeeMore M1 Private Reserve

#Colts #ForTheShoe

#2314 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 25 September 2017 - 05:27 PM

Sidenote: There's a course near me that's fairly tough, due to all the dang trees. I told the guys in the clubhouse their balls with the logo should all be yellow.

Some will get the stupid joke...

I did get a yellow mark on one of my MTBs lately. Trying to avoid that...

#2315 Snell Golf

Snell Golf

Advanced

• Sponsors
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 367933
GolfWRX Likes : 620

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:47 AM

View Postlawsonman, on 09 September 2017 - 08:13 AM, said:

Anyone who hasn't watched the Q and A with Dean is missing out. It was so nice to see a no BS video that educates you about the golf ball process without trying to sell you anything telling you their product is 20 yards longer blah, blah, blah . Thank you Dean!!
You are welcome.. We are trying to help educate consumers on technology and performance with some of these videos.. We had so many questions come in to your email, that we actually will be adding one key video in the bi weekly update we send out to our customers... been well received and the questions keep coming in...All good stuff... thanks again..

#2316 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73203
GolfWRX Likes : 467

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:03 AM

I bought 2 dozen and finally put the MTB's to the test. Took an evening and chipped and pitched at my local course. These spin just as well as the ProV1X that I used to game and better than the Chrome Soft that I normally play.
I was able to play one round this past weekend and was surprised that I picked up some added distance off the tee. I swing driver at about 103mph. The same thing for my irons. At least a half club longer. I gained back what I lost switching from ProV1X to Chromesoft.

I mentioned in another thread I thought I lost some spin in my mid to long irons as I didn't get the check I normally do, but I am not going to attribute this to the ball just yet. I need some more time as I just didn't get that many long iron opportunities.

My putting that day wasn't so hot as I just couldn't find the speed all day. The greens weren't as slow as the practice green. The ball feels good off the putter face and I do like a lower compression ball. It doesn't feel as mushy as a Wilson Duo off the irons and I like the firmer feel in this respect.
Callaway DBD w/ Aldila Rogue silver
Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W
Callaway RZR Fit Extreme 5W
Tour Edge Exotics EX10 hybrid 3 w/ UST Recoil 670
Cobra AMP Forged 4-GW w/KBS Tour black nickel S
Miura 54 & 58 wedges
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

#2317 swizbeatz

swizbeatz

Major Winner

• 4,260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137276
  • Handicap:+.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1274

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:38 AM

I finally got around to busting out the flightscope on the course.  My guess would have been the MTB was slightly shorter than PV1x and spun slightly more.  Ball speeds with driver were very consistent and my lowest spinning and longest drives were with the MTB.  I saw ~750 less rpms with a full lob wedge and ~500 less spin with a 9 iron.  Iím a low spin guy already so the V1x will be my tournament ball but my guesses about how the Snell was performing were incorrect.  Any questions feel free to ask away
Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

#2318 Snell Golf

Snell Golf

Advanced

• Sponsors
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:11 AM

View Postswizbeatz, on 05 October 2017 - 10:38 AM, said:

I finally got around to busting out the flightscope on the course.  My guess would have been the MTB was slightly shorter than PV1x and spun slightly more.  Ball speeds with driver were very consistent and my lowest spinning and longest drives were with the MTB.  I saw ~750 less rpms with a full lob wedge and ~500 less spin with a 9 iron.  I'm a low spin guy already so the V1x will be my tournament ball but my guesses about how the Snell was performing were incorrect.  Any questions feel free to ask away
Thanks for the feedback.. this is in line with the design of the  ball.. we tried to make the ball lower spin on driver, with fast ball speeds, and subsequently LONGER... on the full irons, we took alittle spin out of the shots due to players saying that they had too much spin, and had trouble controlling the ball, and could not get to back pins...   we are working on protos now to also help this for players that are looking for alittle more iron spin... COMING SOON.....

#2319 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 3860

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

Outside of some really old models of Callaway urethane balls that spun unbelievably, the ProV1x does seem to be as high spin with my irons and wedges as anything I've tried. As a low clubhead speed, low spin, low trajectory player I will take every RPM of spin I can get when trying to hold a firm Bermuda green with a mid-iron shot. Especially given that it seems plenty long and high off the driver.

Sounds like the eagerly anticipated new Snell model will be worth my taking a good, hard look!
Engaged in the eternal search for the elusive Swedish meatball cores...

#2320 swizbeatz

swizbeatz

Major Winner

• 4,260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137276
  • Handicap:+.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1274

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:29 AM

View PostSnell Golf, on 11 October 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

I finally got around to busting out the flightscope on the course.  My guess would have been the MTB was slightly shorter than PV1x and spun slightly more.  Ball speeds with driver were very consistent and my lowest spinning and longest drives were with the MTB.  I saw ~750 less rpms with a full lob wedge and ~500 less spin with a 9 iron.  I'm a low spin guy already so the V1x will be my tournament ball but my guesses about how the Snell was performing were incorrect.  Any questions feel free to ask away
Thanks for the feedback.. this is in line with the design of the  ball.. we tried to make the ball lower spin on driver, with fast ball speeds, and subsequently LONGER... on the full irons, we took alittle spin out of the shots due to players saying that they had too much spin, and had trouble controlling the ball, and could not get to back pins...   we are working on protos now to also help this for players that are looking for alittle more iron spin... COMING SOON.....

No problem, just trying to help the guys out.  I feel confident those numbers are good as Iíve got a crazy repeatable (bad) swing but helps to hear you confirm that was the design idea.  It makes sense, I play with a lot more scratch + guys who would like to lower spin with irons than guys like myself who need more.  Iíll be all in testing the new ball when it becomes available, the price point when you play a ton of rounds is huge.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2321 Stanks

Stanks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469442
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:30 PM

View PostSnell Golf, on 11 October 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

Care to send a fellow New Englandah some protos while I'm in San Diego? I promise I won't lose them.
Golf makes me mad. Paintball calms me down.

Callaway Epic Sub-Zero 10.5 / Diamana D+ White 70 X
Cobra F7 3 Wood 14.5
Cobra F7 3-4 Hybrid 19.5
Mizuno MP-18s SC 4-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*
Callaway MD3 54* & 64*.
Scotty Cameron 5W 33" w/ Tour SNSR Grip
TP5, Vice Pro+, Nike Razn Black / Platinum, CS Truvis, Anything BUT ProV1s.

#2322 Snell Golf

Snell Golf

Advanced

• Sponsors
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:57 AM

Had an interesting conversation with a guy at an event I was speaking at last week... he asked what I thought that golfers would accept for distance LOSS in a golf ball for price... I told him I was not the guy to answer that, so figured I would ask some of you guys... if a golf ball was $20 or $25 per doz, but 14-17 yards shorter, would you buy it to save money... what loss would be acceptable and at what price point?    thanks in advance for your feedback...

#2323 kingotheworldma

kingotheworldma

Golf geek, obsessed with playing and learning

• 425 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 277615
  • Handicap:9.3
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:03 AM

View PostSnell Golf, on 16 October 2017 - 08:57 AM, said:

Had an interesting conversation with a guy at an event I was speaking at last week... he asked what I thought that golfers would accept for distance LOSS in a golf ball for price... I told him I was not the guy to answer that, so figured I would ask some of you guys... if a golf ball was $20 or $25 per doz, but 14-17 yards shorter, would you buy it to save money... what loss would be acceptable and at what price point?    thanks in advance for your feedback...
other than price am I gaining anything? My answer is no, even if there is another significant gain.
Mizuno MX-500 10.5* driver
Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 13 Degree 3 Wood(as mini-driver)
Titleist 910f 16.5* 3 Wood,
Titleist 714 CB 3-pw,
Scratch 50*DD wedge,
Cleveland 588 raw 56* wedge,
Odyssey #9 White Hot,
Snell My Tour Ball,
True Linkswear shoes(da bomb!)

TAKE DEAD AIM - Harvey Penick

#2324 Howie

Howie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 644
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:09 AM

Had an interesting conversation with a guy at an event I was speaking at last week... he asked what I thought that golfers would accept for distance LOSS in a golf ball for price... I told him I was not the guy to answer that, so figured I would ask some of you guys... if a golf ball was $20 or $25 per doz, but 14-17 yards shorter, would you buy it to save money... what loss would be acceptable and at what price point? thanks in advance for your feedback...

Well, the K-Sig at $15/dozen created a baseline to which other golf balls will (hopefully, for the consumer's sake) be compared. There was certainly not a loss of distance and, the ball compares favorably to the usual suspects (ProV1, et al.) in terms of overall performance. Now...supply of the K-Sig is obviously quite the issue and no one knows if that price was actually sustainable (at least if Costco were attempting to make any money on it)...but, as long as there is competition, the price point for a truly premium ball will continue to shift toward that number versus the gouging inflated prices Titleist and others have charged golfers for years.

#2325 JDW3

JDW3

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251152
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

I wouldn't even consider a ball losing that much distance. I don't care what the price was.

Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic
3 wood: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816
Hybrid: Callaway XR16 19*
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 16
Wedges: Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Ball: Snell My Tour Ball

#2326 Sanzabar

Sanzabar

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125516
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 151

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

Am I the only one who is having durability issues? They seem to mark up WAY quicker than other golf balls. Not cart path rashes, but just rashes/cuts/marks from normal play.
Callaway Epic SZ w/Rogue Max
Callaway V-Series 3 wood

Callaway V-Series Heavenwood
Srixon Z H45 22*
Nike Vapor Pro Combo w/DG AMT S300

Callaway PM Grind 56/60*
SeeMore M1 Private Reserve

#Colts #ForTheShoe

#2327 Underlined.i

Underlined.i

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106566
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

View PostJDW3, on 16 October 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

Had an interesting conversation with a guy at an event I was speaking at last week... he asked what I thought that golfers would accept for distance LOSS in a golf ball for price... I told him I was not the guy to answer that, so figured I would ask some of you guys... if a golf ball was $20 or $25 per doz, but 14-17 yards shorter, would you buy it to save money... what loss would be acceptable and at what price point? thanks in advance for your feedback...
I wouldn't even consider a ball losing that much distance. I don't care what the price was.

I wouldn't bother with it either.

#2328 hybrid25

hybrid25

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434860
GolfWRX Likes : 290

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

With some of these economized 3 pc urethane balls I have found some distance issues, especially on off center hits. The qst being one of them. I have never hit the Snell mtb though.

#2329 JDW3

JDW3

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251152
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:29 AM

View PostSanzabar, on 16 October 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

Am I the only one who is having durability issues? They seem to mark up WAY quicker than other golf balls. Not cart path rashes, but just rashes/cuts/marks from normal play.
I don't have any issues with durability
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic
3 wood: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816
Hybrid: Callaway XR16 19*
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 16
Wedges: Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Ball: Snell My Tour Ball

#2330 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:15 AM

View PostSanzabar, on 16 October 2017 - 09:11 AM, said:

So far, no issues with mine. Holding up really well.

Miura 54 & 58 wedges

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2331 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

View Posthybrid25, on 16 October 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

With some of these economized 3 pc urethane balls I have found some distance issues, especially on off center hits. The qst being one of them. I have never hit the Snell mtb though.

I think the "economized" label for the MTB's is a bit of a misnomer. For me, they are performing exactly as Mr Snell advertises. Some added distance with the driver, slightly reduced spin off the irons. Love it so far. A bit more spin would be ideal for me, but so far, not looking back.
Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#2332 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• 1,745 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:24 AM

If it were the MTB, definitely not. If I want to lose 15-20 yds off the tee, I'd hit 3 wood. I want tour spin from 120 in.
Miura 54 & 58 wedges

#2333 Snell Golf

Snell Golf

Advanced

• Sponsors
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

View PostHowie, on 16 October 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

Well, the K-Sig at $15/dozen created a baseline to which other golf balls will (hopefully, for the consumer's sake) be compared. There was certainly not a loss of distance and, the ball compares favorably to the usual suspects (ProV1, et al.) in terms of overall performance. Now...supply of the K-Sig is obviously quite the issue and no one knows if that price was actually sustainable (at least if Costco were attempting to make any money on it)...but, as long as there is competition, the price point for a truly premium ball will continue to shift toward that number versus the gouging inflated prices Titleist and others have charged golfers for years.
There is a reason why you dont see them anymore, and anymore at that price... There is so much to this story which unfortunately cannot be told to you guys.. someday maybe you will hear the whole true story behind this.. But for now, you will not see them back as that ball again.

#2334 MrJones

MrJones

Waiting for the weekend...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18450
  • Handicap:4.5
GolfWRX Likes : 621

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:19 PM

View PostSnell Golf, on 16 October 2017 - 12:28 PM, said:

There is a reason why you dont see them anymore, and anymore at that price... There is so much to this story which unfortunately cannot be told to you guys.. someday maybe you will hear the whole true story behind this.. But for now, you will not see them back as that ball again.

If they were extra's left over from a ball change design by a major manufacturer that sold them to Cosco at a lower price point to get rid of stock, wink once.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Speedblades, 3-AW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

#2335 Snell Golf

Snell Golf

Advanced

• Sponsors
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

View PostMrJones, on 16 October 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

View PostSnell Golf, on 16 October 2017 - 12:28 PM, said:

If they were extra's left over from a ball change design by a major manufacturer that sold them to Cosco at a lower price point to get rid of stock, wink once.
:fie:

#2336 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,056 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 3860

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

I would not use a ball with seriously worse performance even if it were free.

I'd rather use the ProV1's and Supersofts and Mojos that I find scattered in the rough every time I play. Any of those, as long as they're not actually damaged, will perform way closer than 10% or whatever of the very best brand new balls.

Although I did see a "Nitro" ball sitting right on the cart path the other day. It's may be still sitting there, darned if I was going to bother bending over to pick up a piece of junk like that...
Engaged in the eternal search for the elusive Swedish meatball cores...

#2337 BLLDWG23

BLLDWG23

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 394580
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:55 PM

I don't think anybody would use a ball that cost them between a club and a club and a half.  I'd say at most you'd have to be inside of 10yards, and probably about 5 yards.

#2338 caniac6

caniac6

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222453
GolfWRX Likes : 1585

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:48 PM

No. I spend money on clubs to get the best performance, so I'm not going to spend a dime on a ball that does not help my performance.

#2339 briansII

briansII

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451976
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:48 PM

I would not knowingly buy any ball that would cost me that amount of distance. I spend a lot of time, and money trying to hit longer(and more accurately). It wouldn't make any sense to limit my progress, by buying a cheaper ball. Besides, didn't you hear. We now can buy tour quality balls(Snell) for approx $25. :-)

#2340 hybrid25

hybrid25

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434860
GolfWRX Likes : 290

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

View PostBLLDWG23, on 16 October 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

I don't think anybody would use a ball that cost them between a club and a club and a half.  I'd say at most you'd have to be inside of 10yards, and probably about 5 yards.
I just don't see much difference in distance between golf balls.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors