Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 20 votes

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

2264 replies to this topic

#1951 scrap22

scrap22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119370
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:58 PM

View Postleft hand low, on 08 June 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

I just placed another order with them as well. Think this may be my third 6 pack of MTBs.

Anyway, I did notice the smart post option on my shipping(and chose that). However, they haven't always used SmartPost have they. Seems like I got my last order pretty quickly, but I know smart post is pretty slow. I don't need these quick or anything. Still have six sleeves, but just seemed odd to me.
SmartPost is sloooooow. At least to the West Coast it is. Hopefully you have some stock to hold you over before your Christmas present arrives.

Callaway Epic Driver 10*  
Callaway Epic Heavenwood
Mizuno JPX 900 Hybrid 22*
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Mizuno S5 - 49* 52* 56* 60*
EVNROLL ER2
Vice Pro Plus / Snell MTB

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#1952 ode1

ode1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98193
GolfWRX Likes : 351

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:11 PM

View PostElite_Digger, on 08 June 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

Just ordered a dozen Tuesday night... 6/6 and just saw my email that I wasn't going to get them until Friday 6/16. Yipe! 10 days to ship from East Coast to Wisconsin? =(

They will likely get there quicker then that....but that will depend on how long your local PO sits on them.

#1953 Break81

Break81

Broke80

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 298

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:24 PM

Orders a sample pack on a Monday and they got to my house on Saturday....  I am in SoCal so that was pretty quick IMO for Smart Post.
TM M1 - Rouge 60 Stiff
Callaway XR - 4 wood - Rouge w/ RIP tip 60
Callaway BB V-Series 5 wood - Rouge Silver Stiff
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
Nike RZN Tour Platinum / Snell MTB / Srixon XV / TM TP

#1954 ob18

ob18

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400786
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:27 AM

View PostElite_Digger, on 08 June 2017 - 04:35 PM, said:

Just ordered a dozen Tuesday night... 6/6 and just saw my email that I wasn't going to get them until Friday 6/16. Yipe! 10 days to ship from East Coast to Wisconsin? =(

There is probably an option to ship them faster if you wanted to pay for that.........after all it is FREE SHIPPING
10* Callaway XR Driver
15* Nickent 3 Wood
18* Nickent F30 Hybrid
Taylormade M2 Irons - 5 iron to A wedge
54*, 58* Cleveland RTX 2.0 Wedges
Nickent OMEN Tour Series 4 putter

Srixon Q-Star

#1955 lwestby

lwestby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465264
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

View PostQuigleyDU, on 07 June 2017 - 11:07 AM, said:

I tried the MTB and was not a fan. i will have to give them another try. i felt the flight was too high, and i felt it didnt do well in the wind. I also was not happy with the durability.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. . . . . . I find that it flies lower, does better in the wind and is just as durable - maybe a bit more.

#1956 Awesomeguy887

Awesomeguy887

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199534
GolfWRX Likes : 192

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

Anyone know if Snell will be doing a Father's Day discount this year?
Ping G30 SFT 12
Ping G5 3W
Ping G Crossover 4
Ping G15 4 - U
Vokey SM2 56.14, 60.04
    Odyssey White Hot XG #7

#1957 dkr1269

dkr1269

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445922
  • Handicap:18
  • Ebay ID:dkelly1269
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:17 PM

They have 2 dozen MTBs plus a cap for  $75 or 2 dozen Get Sum plus a cap for  $56.

#1958 lenman73

lenman73

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83832
GolfWRX Likes : 266

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

Just ordered some MTB's and can't wait to try them out. From the reviews they get I have high hopes.

#1959 golfnut215

golfnut215

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7142
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:00 PM

So, I have been lurking in the Balls sub-forum (and other areas on WRX), especially the threads on Snell and Kirkland, for quite some time and finally decided to make this my first post.  I'm one who likes to play yellow balls because I can see them better and just like the look.  Plus, it's easier to distinguish my ball from the others, as a large majority of golfers still play white.  Regardless, I have purchased a six-pack of Snells and a box (2 dozen) of the Kirkland and like them both and am about to run out.  I have decided that I want to go back to yellow and am writing to further implore Mr. Snell to make a yellow MTB.  I have read Mr. Snell's posts which detail the production issues with doing a cast urethane covered colored ball and still believe that it would be worthwhile for him to consider giving it a try, as I believe a lot of golfers would buy them (hopefully, enough to warrant the production costs).  I will also state that I have looked into buying the Vice lime green balls, but it concerns me that, even though they're cast urethane, they're pretty much off-the-shelf balls manufactured by Foremost.  I guess I trust that Mr. Snell isn't doing that too.  Until I can purchase a yellow (or green) MTB, I'm likely going to go with the yellow Srixon Z Star.  I pay more money for them and they're not cast urethane, but they're good enough for me.  Just FYI, I'm 62 y/o and presently have a 7.4 index.

#1960 bluesgolfer

bluesgolfer

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423260
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:28 PM

View Postgolfnut215, on 12 June 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

So, I have been lurking in the Balls sub-forum (and other areas on WRX), especially the threads on Snell and Kirkland, for quite some time and finally decided to make this my first post.  I'm one who likes to play yellow balls because I can see them better and just like the look.  Plus, it's easier to distinguish my ball from the others, as a large majority of golfers still play white.  Regardless, I have purchased a six-pack of Snells and a box (2 dozen) of the Kirkland and like them both and am about to run out.  I have decided that I want to go back to yellow and am writing to further implore Mr. Snell to make a yellow MTB.  I have read Mr. Snell's posts which detail the production issues with doing a cast urethane covered colored ball and still believe that it would be worthwhile for him to consider giving it a try, as I believe a lot of golfers would buy them (hopefully, enough to warrant the production costs).  I will also state that I have looked into buying the Vice lime green balls, but it concerns me that, even though they're cast urethane, they're pretty much off-the-shelf balls manufactured by Foremost.  I guess I trust that Mr. Snell isn't doing that too.  Until I can purchase a yellow (or green) MTB, I'm likely going to go with the yellow Srixon Z Star.  I pay more money for them and they're not cast urethane, but they're good enough for me.  Just FYI, I'm 62 y/o and presently have a 7.4 index.

If you haven't already, try the Volvik Vivid.   Nice, soft feel, good distance, checks nicely.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#1961 Hot Rod 71

Hot Rod 71

#TheWRX

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,699 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108037
  • Handicap:low
GolfWRX Likes : 5644

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:35 PM

You've been lurking for 12 years?
Callaway EPIC 9* - Diamana W 60X
Callaway EPIC 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
Callaway EPIC 18* - Aldila Tour Green 75X
Srixon Z765 4-PW - Nippon Pro Modus 125-S(hs)
Titleist SM6 52, 56, 60 - Nippon Pro Modus Wedge 115/125
Odyssey O-Works Black #2W
Srixon Z-Star XV/Snell MTB

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Srixon Z-Star Series Test Panel 2013
Tensei CK Blue Test Panel 2015
#TheWRX 2016

#1962 trackcoach13

trackcoach13

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73092
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 158

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:46 PM

View PostHot Rod 71, on 14 June 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

Apparently a HOF lurker!

#1963 scrap22

scrap22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119370
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

View PostHot Rod 71, on 14 June 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

Another one that cracked me up. lololol. Thank you.
Callaway Epic Driver 10*  
Callaway Epic Heavenwood
Mizuno JPX 900 Hybrid 22*
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Mizuno S5 - 49* 52* 56* 60*
EVNROLL ER2
Vice Pro Plus / Snell MTB

#1964 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62095
  • Ebay ID:reederc2
GolfWRX Likes : 749

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:33 PM

View Postbluesgolfer, on 12 June 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

If you haven't already, try the Volvik Vivid.   Nice, soft feel, good distance, checks nicely.

The vivid is the best looking ball out there. The white is the coolest color ever, but it is a completely different type of ball.
driver: cleveland classic T3 head
fairway: macgregor mactec 4 wood
hybrid: hogan CFT
Irons: Titleist T irons.
Wedges: 54 callaway jaws CC wedge 60 callaway MD 2 head.
putter: Rife abaco

#1965 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

I was in our local Big 5 sporting goods store today and saw MTB on the shelf. Had to do a double take. They were next to the Taylormade Distance +

#1966 lenman73

lenman73

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83832
GolfWRX Likes : 266

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:31 PM

I got to play with my MTB's for the first time last night on my league. Admittedly it wasn't a great test.  The back nine is the shorter of the 2 with only 4 driver holes. And on the trouble tee shots I used a different ball on that hole so I didn't lose a snell. But when I did use it, it seemed very solid and seemed alot like the prov1 that was the other ball I used last night.  But I left the course last night looking forward to playing this weekend. Great ball so far.

#1967 trackcoach13

trackcoach13

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73092
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 158

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:05 PM

View PostBeerPerHole, on 15 June 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

I was in our local Big 5 sporting goods store today and saw MTB on the shelf. Had to do a double take. They were next to the Taylormade Distance +

What is Big 5 sporting goods? Is it like a Dicks Sporting Goods?

#1968 Underlined.i

Underlined.i

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106566
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:25 PM

Finally got to do some side by side testing tonight of the MTB vs the Vice Pro Soft and Plus. It was just on a practice green with my 2 year old daughter, but I put my first pitch/chip in the hole from about 20 yards with the MTB. Off to a good start!

From there, I would say the MTB spins just a hair better on these type of shots for me. For my game, though, I could easily get accustomed to either one. Hoping to do a full on course shot to shot showdown this weekend.

It's awesome that Dean is still signing the invoices. That alone really makes me want to give the MTB a serious look.

#1969 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 297457
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:01 PM

View Posttrackcoach13, on 15 June 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

No. It's more like a cross between a Sports Authority and a K-Mart. Not good. YMMV.
Driver: TM RBZ 10 degrees
3W: TM RBZ
Ping Hybrid Iron 3
Irons: Wishon Sterling 4I-GW
Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy SW & LW
Putter: Happy (Blade)
Ball: Snell MTB

#1970 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

View PostBeerPerHole, on 15 June 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

It's a sporting goods chain that we've had out here in Cali for many decades. I was in there to buy my boy a new basketball. Great place for that. Each of their stores are fairly small and they deal in all kinds of stuff - ping pong, camping, guns, shoes... For whatever reason there are a few of them in our area but I think they are dying on the vine elsewhere...

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#1971 Ish

Ish

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181054
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:05 AM

I listen to the guys at ESPN1000 in Chicago a lot during the day and Carmen and Jurko were plugging the Snell balls for the second time now. Jurko a 10 yr NFL vet said he plays them during league play and recommended them to Carmen who now ordered some for himself. Nice free plug lol.

#1972 mokedaddy

mokedaddy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 253826
GolfWRX Likes : 330

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:16 PM

Found a Snell mtb today on the course during a scramble.  Definitely a quality ball and if it came in yellow I would probably play it full time.

#1973 jeff1727

jeff1727

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 344391
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:47 PM

First time breaking 80 from the back tees today.  Shot a 76 with a Snell MTB.   Driving was great but was throwing darts with my irons.  Love the feel off my Taylormade spider black putter.  Awesome ball.

#1974 Underlined.i

Underlined.i

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106566
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:36 PM

Finally got to play a full round with the MTB today. This thing is THE real deal. Hands down, the best feeling ball I have hit through the bag.

#1975 BogeyFore5

BogeyFore5

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357145
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

I've fully converted to the MTB this year and am loving it! Posted Image

Cobra F6+ - 9.5o
Titleist 913F - 15o
Titleist 913H - 19o
Mizuno MP-54 - 3i, 5i-PW
Cleveland RTX-3 - 50o, 54o, 58o
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

#1976 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:08 PM

Shot a 41 on the front 9 at Mather this morning. The MTB was great. I just recently started shooting scores like this.

It was 104 degrees when I finished my 9 today.

#1977 DaveMac

DaveMac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27975
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 488

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

Just a quick note for the European GolfWRX members, the Snell balls are now available in Europe. (snellgolf.co.uk)

I have just received a dozen MTB's so I am looking forward to putting them to the test against my two current gamers Titleist 2015 Pro V1, Callaway Chrome Soft.

The UK price 26.67 (6 dozen for 160) is not that significant a bargain vs the Chrome soft at ~30 (2 dozen for 54) and I can still get 2 dozen 2015 pro v1's for 60.

I will post my thoughts on the ball after some on course testing this week.

I just completed a 18 hole test of the MTB and I am disappointed to report that I didn't like any aspect of the ball's performance. I will preface my thoughts by saying I am a (exceptionally) low swing speed player by GolfWRX standards, as a consequence of this I rely heavily on the feel and short game performance of a ball to help with my scoring.

I played and very much liked the Taylormade TP Red LDP, which I believe was one of Dean Snell's designs. The majority of Tour category golf balls have become much softer feeling since the days of the TP Red. IMO the MTB falls very much into the harder, brighter, clickier feeling tour balls. I would assess the feel to be 75% 2013 Pro V 1 X, 25% 2013 Pro V 1.

Performance characteristics are very much 2013 Pro V1 X, higher launch of the driver, with perhaps a touch more spin than my current 2015 Pro V1, distance is comparable. Iron launch is a touch lower and mid iron spin is down as well, carry distance is down a couple of yards. Pitching, chipping and putting performance was dominated by the firm crisp feel, wedge spin was down on my current ball.

I know my thoughts fly in the face of the majority of the comments in this thread and the headline reviews. I was hoping to find a new long term ball, unfortunately the Snell MTB is not the ball for me, perhaps I don't have the ballspeed to compress the MTB, which is exaggerating the hard feel I experienced. I personally think it is more a Pro V1 X competitor, unsurprisingly I have never been a Pro V1 X lover.

Hope my comments help some of our UK members considering trying this newly available ball.

Edited by DaveMac, 20 June 2017 - 01:06 PM.

#1978 Snell Golf

Snell Golf

Advanced

• Sponsors
  • 340 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 367933
GolfWRX Likes : 546

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:35 PM

Hi... I have gotten a lot of email and messages asking about the new protos... so quick update... The proto work is just abut complete.  I wasnt happy with a couple of results, so made another minor change to the design.  .. last series of performance testing going on this month, and packaging design also almost completed....appreciate you patience..

#1979 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,127 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:23 PM

View PostSnell Golf, on 20 June 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

Hi... I have gotten a lot of email and messages asking about the new protos... so quick update... The proto work is just abut complete. I wasnt happy with a couple of results, so made another minor change to the design. .. last series of performance testing going on this month, and packaging design also almost completed....appreciate you patience..

Thanks any more info you can provide? what is the performance characteristics of this ball? similar to the MTB?

#1980 QuigleyDU

QuigleyDU

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,127 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

View PostRich Douglas, on 15 June 2017 - 10:01 PM, said:

No. It's more like a cross between a Sports Authority and a K-Mart. Not good. YMMV.

I wouldnt say it is not good, it is just low cost stuff. many times it is close out products, or the low end products. As with all things in life in many ways you get what you pay for. But it is a great place to go to get first time stuff at low cost. or things you dont need to spend top dollar on

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors