Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

advice on quitting chewing for good


104 replies to this topic

#91 Gautama

Gautama

    No golfer has ever worked so hard to accomplish so little . . .

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 282318
  • Joined: 10/31/2013
  • Handicap:9.83
  • Ebay ID:caad5al
GolfWRX Likes : 279

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:03 AM

I started when I was 12, and quit over 30 years later. It's been about 3 years now and it honestly sounds disgusting whenever I think about it, so it definitely gets easier. I was up to two cans a day when I quit, and what finally did it for me was actually golf! I wanted new irons but couldn't really justify it, then realized I was spending over $200 a month on something I hated doing. Quit cold turkey and bought myself new irons when I hit one year 👍


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#92 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
  • Joined: 11/30/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 3829

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:34 AM

View PostHoosierHacker89, on 21 August 2016 - 09:39 PM, said:

Bringing back an old thread. Today is day 2 of this go around. Hope to make it through. Going through a divorce now which makes it hard, but I think I'll manage. Nrt has really helped.

On a side more I quit golfing. Maybe pick it back up in year or 2.

Good luck man, with everything. A lot going on in your life.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

2

#93 Golf Symantics22

Golf Symantics22

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 347101
  • Joined: 11/02/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:53 AM

View PostFairway Robbery, on 23 January 2015 - 11:27 AM, said:

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but would something like nicorette or the patch help for a dip habit? Intuitively, weaning off the nicotine itself should help kick the habit, regardless of the delivery system?

Your addiction is as simple as a biochemical reaction in your brain when you see, think about, or ingest the item in question. Other activities like eating, drinking, socializing can add layers of association that can be difficult to slough off, and you should think about whether partaking in certain activities will trigger cravings, but it really is all in your head. Your body does not NEED nicotine and tobacco to survive, it has simply created a conditioned (positive) response to the biochemical and emotional effects of chewing. And any conditioned response can be broken...

When you have cravings, run a loop in your mind of all the negative associations/risks with dip (health, inter-personal, professional, etc). When a craving hits, perform a designated, pre-planned task to distract yourself. Take a walk, chew on some ice, play with a yo-yo...anything. YOU are in control and can overcome the chemistry if you reduce your addiction to what it is...a conditioned response.

Dry fire practice (usually at the tv) really helps me distract myself from smoking. Dry fire practice is good anyways.

3

#94 HoosierHacker89

HoosierHacker89

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99812
  • Joined: 12/07/2009
  • Location:Indiana
  • Ebay ID:Pinggolfer2007
GolfWRX Likes : 281

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:54 AM

wow its been 6 months, and I am still tobacco free!
Cobra F7+ 9.5
TM 07 Burner TP 17.5
Adams Idea Pro 20 & 23
Bridgestone j40 dpc 5-A
Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 58
Ping Nome

4

#95 dan360

dan360

    not a jacked loft

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8694
  • Joined: 12/13/2005
  • Location:Olympia lowlife...
GolfWRX Likes : 6042

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:59 AM

I quit cold turkey twice :)

first time was cuz my gf didn't like it and kissing her tasted way better than Copenhagen.   Then she left, and Copenhagen Black was introduced.  Perfect timing.  

second, and final, time, was a barter system arrangement with the another gf.  She was a smoker, and we traded her quitting smoking for me quitting the dippin.     The union didn't last----two opinionated people having nicotine fits at the same time probably wasn't a good fit now that I look back, but .........At any rate, she's gone too (thank god cray cray...) and so is the habit of buying a log or two a week.  

every once in a blue moon I'll try a little pinch but quite honestly the only stuff I can stomach at this point is Red Man out of a pouch.    It's all gross.  Probably for the best.

Cold turkey takes work and is a mental drain but if one is of strong will it's not so bad.

If one is a mental midget, shove a lot of beef jerky in your mouth.  Worked for me :)

8 years so far.

Edited by dan360, 28 February 2017 - 10:04 AM.

As of 01AUG2017

Mizuno JPX-800 9°
TaylorMade R7TPST 15°

Mizuno MP-H5 Hitogami 1 iron
Mizuno MP-33 3-P custom single length

Mizuno MP-T11 54/60
PING Anser 2 'pat pending' stainless 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis
PING Hoofer green

5

#96 PZero

PZero

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,930 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129810
  • Joined: 05/30/2011
  • Location:Ohio
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 7115

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:40 AM

View PostHoosierHacker89, on 28 February 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

wow its been 6 months, and I am still tobacco free!

Good man. Keep it going.
R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
Titleist 913F 15°
TM R9 19°
Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
Studio Select Newport

6

#97 hooters714

hooters714

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 453256
  • Joined: 01/28/2017
  • Location:Wisconsin
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

I quit when I had the s*** scared out of me. Had a big lump grow on the inside of my mouth just below the corner of my lower lip. The surgeon that cut it out asked if I chewed and I said yes. He told me it would be a good idea to quit before I developed anymore lumps. As a standard procedure they send anything they cut out to the state lab to have it tested and thankfully it came back negative. Quit cold turkey and never looked back. I had been chewing for the better part of 20 years. Just quit and start chewing gum. Good luck.

7

#98 knock it close

knock it close

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,833 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101876
  • Joined: 01/13/2010
  • Location:Calgary, Alberta
  • Handicap:+2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 5226

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

We've been out since the recall at the start of Feburary, apparently still a week or two longer. Easy to be off it when you can't buy it I guess
M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

8

#99 bladehunter

bladehunter

    Cubs win ! Cubs win!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,452 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 11718

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:43 PM

View PostPZero, on 20 January 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

View PostArizonalefty59, on 20 January 2015 - 12:10 AM, said:

I quit soda and people say that quitting soda is even tougher than quitting nicotine, so I know I can do it.

I tried to quit soda and failed. So I agree that it's harder to quit than nicotine.


Hmm. I didn't know that soda was supposed to be worse ?!  

I quit soda cold turkey 2 years ago.  I was a 5-6 a day mt dew man myself.   I will admit that I've had a Sprite or two in a restaurant when I knew the tea was horrid.  But anyone knows Sprite and hardcore caffeine mt dew isn't the same. Lol.  

I don't have any real advise other than I don't think you can quit anything until you want to. When you want to you just throw it out.  And when the temptation comes say " f*** you " and don't pick it up.  That's what I did. I lost 5 lbs or so from less sugar.   I then cut as much sodium out as I could.  I'm still not anywhere near a Health nut but I'm trying.  Rarely ever ( maybe twice a year ) eat true fast food.  And you wouldnt believe how much better I feel.  Anyway. I think it's all in the mind.  Make it up and when you do challenge yourself to not let it control you. Control it!

Edited by bladehunter, 14 March 2017 - 08:44 PM.

17 M2  V2 Tour 10.5  Fuji Atmos Black 6X   Green Graphic special edition
17 M1 15  Graphite Design   ADDI 8X
Titleist TMB 2 Graphite Design 105X prototype
Vega VDC-01 Raw Handground 4-pw Modus 130X
Vega VW-02 Raw 52 56 60 S400
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights

9

#100 PZero

PZero

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,930 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129810
  • Joined: 05/30/2011
  • Location:Ohio
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 7115

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:53 AM

View Postbladehunter, on 14 March 2017 - 08:43 PM, said:

View PostPZero, on 20 January 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

View PostArizonalefty59, on 20 January 2015 - 12:10 AM, said:

I quit soda and people say that quitting soda is even tougher than quitting nicotine, so I know I can do it.

I tried to quit soda and failed. So I agree that it's harder to quit than nicotine.


Hmm. I didn't know that soda was supposed to be worse ?!  

I quit soda cold turkey 2 years ago.  I was a 5-6 a day mt dew man myself.   I will admit that I've had a Sprite or two in a restaurant when I knew the tea was horrid.  But anyone knows Sprite and hardcore caffeine mt dew isn't the same. Lol.  

I don't have any real advise other than I don't think you can quit anything until you want to. When you want to you just throw it out.  And when the temptation comes say " f*** you " and don't pick it up.  That's what I did. I lost 5 lbs or so from less sugar.   I then cut as much sodium out as I could.  I'm still not anywhere near a Health nut but I'm trying.  Rarely ever ( maybe twice a year ) eat true fast food.  And you wouldnt believe how much better I feel.  Anyway. I think it's all in the mind.  Make it up and when you do challenge yourself to not let it control you. Control it!

I ended up successfully giving it up since that post. I was at 7 or 8 cans of Coke a day, so it was tough. I haven't had any since quitting. I drink water and diet Snapple Half and Half now.

R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
Titleist 913F 15°
TM R9 19°
Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
Studio Select Newport

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#101 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

    Beef is my spirit animal...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1530
  • Joined: 06/09/2005
  • Location:Springfield MO
  • Handicap:+0.4
  • Ebay ID:tumbo79
GolfWRX Likes : 460

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:08 PM

View PostPZero, on 15 March 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 14 March 2017 - 08:43 PM, said:

View PostPZero, on 20 January 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

View PostArizonalefty59, on 20 January 2015 - 12:10 AM, said:

I quit soda and people say that quitting soda is even tougher than quitting nicotine, so I know I can do it.

I tried to quit soda and failed. So I agree that it's harder to quit than nicotine.


Hmm. I didn't know that soda was supposed to be worse ?!  

I quit soda cold turkey 2 years ago.  I was a 5-6 a day mt dew man myself.   I will admit that I've had a Sprite or two in a restaurant when I knew the tea was horrid.  But anyone knows Sprite and hardcore caffeine mt dew isn't the same. Lol.  

I don't have any real advise other than I don't think you can quit anything until you want to. When you want to you just throw it out.  And when the temptation comes say " f*** you " and don't pick it up.  That's what I did. I lost 5 lbs or so from less sugar.   I then cut as much sodium out as I could.  I'm still not anywhere near a Health nut but I'm trying.  Rarely ever ( maybe twice a year ) eat true fast food.  And you wouldnt believe how much better I feel.  Anyway. I think it's all in the mind.  Make it up and when you do challenge yourself to not let it control you. Control it!

I ended up successfully giving it up since that post. I was at 7 or 8 cans of Coke a day, so it was tough. I haven't had any since quitting. I drink water and diet Snapple Half and Half now.

I seem to have an addictive personality as I still chew nicotine gum after not smoking for 3-4 years and I've cut way back on the soda this year as well (I was 8-10 cans a day of Diet Coke).

Cut the gum back quite a bit (couple pieces a day) and the soda is down to maybe 1-2 20oz bottles a week, so a lot better than it was.  Lots of water/Propels/tea, etc, but sometimes nothing helps pick me up like a Diet Coke...
Ping G400 8.5* LST - Ping i25 14* - Ping Anser 17* - Adams 9031 23* - Ping I200 5-W - Ping Gorge 2.0 50*, 56* (@ 55*), 60* - Bobby Grace Let's Face It.  

11

#102 pseudoswede

pseudoswede

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80998
  • Joined: 04/23/2009
  • Location:Parker, CO
  • Handicap:9ish
  • Ebay ID:pseudoswede
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:03 AM

Today marks 3 years and 3 months off chew.

My biggest worry was the urges to chew on the golf course. It's a distant afterthought, now. I even won my golf league's match play tournament two years in a row during that time.

I will say the worst urges come when I travel for work, and I'm sitting alone in the hotel room in the evenings watching Netflix. I typically try to spend as little time in the hotel room as possible; I typically go out jogging then go and eat dinner somewhere. That has worked very well when traveling to San Diego and Florida; not so much when I had to travel to middle-of-nowhere Delaware in the winter. On the brighter note, I'm quite confident that I had no urges to chew during my last two business trips.

Yes, when I think about chewing, I still miss it. Now, I just don't think about it as often anymore.

Hope everyone else in this thread has stayed strong.

Edited by pseudoswede, 07 September 2017 - 12:04 AM.

Callaway XR Pro 9°
Callaway XR Pro 14°
Ping S56 3-PW (purple dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56°, 60° (purple dot)
Ping Redwood Piper S 34"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

12

#103 onlyomar

onlyomar

    Advanced

  • 2016 Callaway Ball
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439532
  • Joined: 09/04/2016
  • Location:Wheaton IL
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

Google "chew lip cancer". View images.  That'll kill your cravings.

13

#104 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68580
  • Joined: 11/02/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 632

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

You will never be able to quit until you are truly ready, and when you are, cold turkey is the only way to go. Replacing it with nicotine gum, or vape, or anything else isn't quitting, it's just replacing the habit with another, and you'll eventually go back. You just have to suck it up and do it.

This is coming from an ex smoker who smoked for 20 years and dipped for the better part of 15.

14

#105 2ball

2ball

    LEFTY

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15610
  • Joined: 06/20/2006
  • Location:Was - Chicago Now in - Orange County, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:15 PM

Every time you relapse and take a pinch, you have to swallow your dip!


15



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors