Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

advice on quitting chewing for good

104 replies to this topic

#61 PZero

PZero

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,930 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129810
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 7115

Posted 06 February 2015 - 11:19 PM

View PostArizonalefty59, on 06 February 2015 - 11:16 PM, said:

View Postknock it close, on 04 February 2015 - 10:54 PM, said:

Hey AZLefty, if you had to pack one during the super bowl we forgive you man.
I did on the drive home after the game. It's unreal how much I don't like it anymore, I can't believe it. It is so easy to say no now and I don't even contemplate buying any at the gas station anymore.

Quitting has been so much easier than I thought that it's unreal.

Glad to hear that. Now think about all that extra cash that you'll be saving and how you can use it for golf.

R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
Titleist 913F 15°
TM R9 19°
Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
Studio Select Newport

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 Arizonalefty59

Arizonalefty59

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,553 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130198
GolfWRX Likes : 2309

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:18 PM

View PostPZero, on 06 February 2015 - 11:19 PM, said:

View PostArizonalefty59, on 06 February 2015 - 11:16 PM, said:

View Postknock it close, on 04 February 2015 - 10:54 PM, said:

Hey AZLefty, if you had to pack one during the super bowl we forgive you man.
I did on the drive home after the game. It's unreal how much I don't like it anymore, I can't believe it. It is so easy to say no now and I don't even contemplate buying any at the gas station anymore.

Quitting has been so much easier than I thought that it's unreal.

Glad to hear that. Now think about all that extra cash that you'll be saving and how you can use it for golf.
It's all extra beer money now lol.

#63 toddnt

toddnt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8488
GolfWRX Likes : 821

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

Think of Baseballs HOFer Tony Gywnn....

#64 PhillyMac

PhillyMac

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146869
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:42 AM

View PostJ_D, on 27 January 2015 - 01:15 AM, said:

Coffee grinds in a pouch very similar to dip pouches. Taste great. Invented by college baseball players and used in the MLB. Perfect for those early mornings too. 1/4th of a cup of coffee worth of caffeine per pouch.

I've been wanting to quit for a while. On a normal day, I will usually dip around a can and a half, sometimes 2 a day on weekends.
After reading some of the posts I came across this post about the grinds.com. Now I've tried a couple of other nicotine/tobacco free alternatives. None worked. So I figured I would give this a try since its coffee grinds. I didn't know what expect or what flavors I would prefer, so I purchased the sample pack online (no one locally sells it). Many may think they are a little pricey, as I did at first. But when I am chewing Skoal, I may get 8-10 chews out of a can. Where the grinds have 18 pouches, they are a little small but when the urge really hits, throw in 2 pouches...... I am on my 4th day and just now finished my first can of grinds. I can keep a pouch in for 30-45 minutes, and the flavor lasts a lot long than most tobacco products.
To make a long story short, I like them! I haven't quit chewing 100%, but I have really cut back. Limiting myself to 3 chews a day. I have had the same can of Skoal for 3 days now. The Grinds do give you a feeling of chewing, with a lot of flavor. Hopefully I'll be off tobacco 100%, by this time next week.
The Peppermint and Mocha are really good. Next is the mint chocolate!

Thanks JD!

Edited by PhillyMac, 12 February 2015 - 10:42 AM.

XR16 Driver w/Aldilla Tour Green
X2 Hot Pro 3-wood
TaylorMade Jetspeed 3, 4, 5 hybrid
Steelhead XR 6-PW
Ping Glide 50* and 55*
Cleveland 58*
Scotty Cameron Monterey

#65 Noyes26

Noyes26

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136297
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:Ball26
GolfWRX Likes : 399

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostPhillyMac, on 12 February 2015 - 10:42 AM, said:

View PostJ_D, on 27 January 2015 - 01:15 AM, said:

Coffee grinds in a pouch very similar to dip pouches. Taste great. Invented by college baseball players and used in the MLB. Perfect for those early mornings too. 1/4th of a cup of coffee worth of caffeine per pouch.

I've been wanting to quit for a while. On a normal day, I will usually dip around a can and a half, sometimes 2 a day on weekends.
After reading some of the posts I came across this post about the grinds.com. Now I've tried a couple of other nicotine/tobacco free alternatives. None worked. So I figured I would give this a try since its coffee grinds. I didn't know what expect or what flavors I would prefer, so I purchased the sample pack online (no one locally sells it). Many may think they are a little pricey, as I did at first. But when I am chewing Skoal, I may get 8-10 chews out of a can. Where the grinds have 18 pouches, they are a little small but when the urge really hits, throw in 2 pouches...... I am on my 4th day and just now finished my first can of grinds. I can keep a pouch in for 30-45 minutes, and the flavor lasts a lot long than most tobacco products.
To make a long story short, I like them! I haven't quit chewing 100%, but I have really cut back. Limiting myself to 3 chews a day. I have had the same can of Skoal for 3 days now. The Grinds do give you a feeling of chewing, with a lot of flavor. Hopefully I'll be off tobacco 100%, by this time next week.
The Peppermint and Mocha are really good. Next is the mint chocolate!

Thanks JD!

Nice man. You pushed me over the edge and im gonna order some of the mocha.

Titleist 915D3 9.5 AD DI 6x
Titleist 915F 16.5 Rogue Black X
Titleist 915HD 20.5 AD DI 85x
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW KBS
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 6
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 60
WITB Link

#66 PhillyMac

PhillyMac

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146869
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

Noyes26,
Sign up for their email and get 10% off. I would get the 4 can sampler pack. Like I said, I am not 100% off the chew but I sure have cut back. Hoping to be 100% tobacco free in the very near future.

Good luck!
XR16 Driver w/Aldilla Tour Green
X2 Hot Pro 3-wood
TaylorMade Jetspeed 3, 4, 5 hybrid
Steelhead XR 6-PW
Ping Glide 50* and 55*
Cleveland 58*
Scotty Cameron Monterey

#67 lawsonman

lawsonman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171857
  • Handicap:None
  • Ebay ID:pingguy1970
GolfWRX Likes : 2524

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:17 PM

Can't help you about chew but I imagine it's the same as smoking. I quit smoking after 40 years when I had two heart stents put in. Nothing like a dose of reality to kick you in the a$$. Lots of water and gum for me.
I have a excellent short game. It's unfortunate that it starts on the Tee.

Callaway Epic/ Stiff Hzrdus
Taylormade RBZ 19 Hybrid
Ping G400 4-UW
Odyssey O Works 3T
Ping Glide 54, 58
Snell MTB Ball

#68 Tcann32

Tcann32

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 343581
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:tcannon32
GolfWRX Likes : 1944

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:13 PM

Quitting anything habitual is tough. I've quit chewing a few times for long stings, soda was easy, and I've had to quit harder things than that too. Breaking the habit is the toughest part. If you find things to keep you busy mentally, it goes faster. The first time I quit chewing was for a full year, and I did it while I was on vacation for a week, and that was the easiest time. No chew, but I was out of my regular element/routine that involved chewing. I've quit for a month or two at a time here and there as well, but always seem to find a way back to doing it.

I still chew currently, but now it's a bit different than it used to be. I chew around a tin a week and haven't had much issue with smaller amounts at a time either. Taking smaller dips, not even really less often has enabled me to have less cravings when I can't have one or if I forget my tin when I go somewhere. It's different for everyone, but it seems to be helpful to change little aspects of your daily life and break routines so that chew is less a part of your daily routine.

Good luck my man, I'm sure this goes for everyone else here, but feel free to reach out for any tips or advice. None of us are perfect, but we all might have a little insight on something that'll help.
What's actually in the bag...
Callaway Epic SZ-9.0-Aldila X-Torsion Green Mamba-70TX
Callaway Epic SZ 15* - PX Handcrafted Yellow 75 6.5
Callaway Apex UT 21* - C- taper S+
Miura LH LTD Black Blades: 3-p w/ DG TI X7's.
Cleveland RTX 3: 50-54 w. C-Taper S+
Scratch 1018: 58 w/ C-Taper S+
Piretti Potenza / Odyssey MX #7

Others gamed on occasion:
Callaway BBA (2014)
Callaway 13 X Forged w/ AMT X100's (hard stepped once)
Scratch Golf 51,55,58,59
Wilson Staff Kirk Currie Milled

#69 hayzooos

hayzooos

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51734
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 1799

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:12 PM

I'll join in with the rest of you gents here. Just turned 32, been chewing for probably 15 years or so. Yeah, you can do the math on that one. Had a few stints here and there where I would 'quit', I think the longest was maybe 9-12 months or so. Habit is close to 3/4 of a can to a can a day. I watched my father-in-law go through quitting when he was in his late 50s and it was a sight that should've let me know to kick it then.

I was with him on the first day he didn't have anything. You could tell is was a HUGE struggle for him. He gives me crap all the time now when we're golfing, asking when I'm going to give it up. Like someone else said, he said it's just going to get harder as I get older. Wife hates it obviously, I have two baby girls that I should quit for.

Problem is, I like chewing. I don't necessarily want to even though I know all the good reasons to do so. It's getting to be that time though I just need to do it and get it over with. There have been days (sometimes only one, sometimes consecutive) I've gone without any chew (or only one) and it doesn't seem to be the nicotine that gets me...I usually don't get headaches or any of those other things that are associated with it. For me, it's the straight up oral fixation part of it. I seem to always either have a chew in or a piece of gum, mint, plastic toothpick, whatever, just chomping away.

Anyway, props to the guys who have successfully kicked the habit, it's not an easy one. I see some people talking about Grinds, but has anyone tried the Jake's Mint Chew? It's also just ground up mint leaves, I thought about giving that a whirl. With those types of substitutes, do you all spit as well, or just gut it?
Callaway Epic Sub-Zero 9.5* Veylix Naked
Cobra F7 UST Elements Chrome+ 7
Callaway 815 hybrid 20* (+2) Veylix 988
Srixon 745 4-PW Nippon Modus3 120
Cobra PUR 50/54/58 Nippon Modus3 Wedge 115
Odyssey MXM #1W
WITB Link

#70 Mr. Grumpy

Mr. Grumpy

Go CUBS!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140787
GolfWRX Likes : 338

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:20 PM

You can do it. Yep it is hard, very hard, but not impossible as many have been down this same path; I quit 14 months ago. Same story as all of you, I loved it, the wife hated it... Tried the patch for a while, but then I really liked using them and was kinda addicted.. Cold turkey is the way to go, don't draw it out. The first few days was like a justification skit by Crackhead Larry, however by day 7 the sun was brighter, food tasted better, my teeth were whiter, lip felt new, and my wife was kissing me again.

I am very glad I quit....

Cobra F7 SL - Modus 105x
Cobra F7 Driver
Looking for 3 wood
Cleveland RTX 52* (wearing out)
Titleist SM6 60* (love it, need 2 more)
1 Titleist 913H (good enough, f7 4i might be better)
Old Ping Putter with a new grip

#Ihavegaps #buildingyear

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 Chrismydawg

Chrismydawg

JLo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261986
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:35 PM

Copenhagen wintergreen. 1 can every 2-3 days. I usually keep a pinch in for about 1-2 hours at a time. Right now its just a fixation. I have never really tried to quit, but its nice to read that others like me have had success. I stopped smoking in a heartbeat, but I know chewing would be a struggle for me. I have a great family and a little girl who always says "yucky" when she sees me dipping. <<<----That kills me more than anything. I'm 30 and still healthy, but I know that won't last for long. Those grinds sound awesome and maybe thats the route I'll take.

#72 ClarkGrswld4

ClarkGrswld4

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74090
GolfWRX Likes : 248

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:01 PM

3 pages and nobody has mentioned Chantix? It's the only thing that worked for me. The hard candy, seeds, etc don't do it for me.Don't make it harder than it needs to be boys, get some Chantix

#73 southpaw72

southpaw72

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,475 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131900
GolfWRX Likes : 606

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:18 PM

View PostClarkGrswld4, on 16 February 2015 - 04:01 PM, said:

3 pages and nobody has mentioned Chantix? It's the only thing that worked for me. The hard candy, seeds, etc don't do it for me.Don't make it harder than it needs to be boys, get some Chantix
I have never used it but hearing from some that have, the side effects are pretty crazy

#74 TerryRossiGut

TerryRossiGut

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 361275
  • Handicap:7.0
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:59 PM

Stopped cold turkey five years ago....my GF at the time now wife smoked and we both decided to quite all together.   Now I will say I can count the number of cans I have bought on two hands and TWO hands only.  I feel its not a matter of "oh if I chew again I will be hooked again" I feel its about self control.  I partake in a chew/dip every once in a while with my buddies but nothing to the extent I did.  Do i crave it?   At times sure when you have stress or golfing or just want to relax.  But I was never at the point where that was my crutch for dealing with things.

As my late Grandfather would say...."everything in moderation.....as long as you are not taking pills.....those things will kill you....booze does the same thing but much slower"

#75 gaikentm

gaikentm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 309527
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:17 PM

View PostHoosierHacker89, on 19 January 2015 - 10:20 PM, said:

I have been a can a day guy for 4 years now. Did it when i was a kid here and there but pick it up hard in 2011 starting nursing school. It is a filthy habit, expensive, and my wife hates it. I totally quit for 2 years but the stress of school really trigger the old habit. I turn 26 at the end of the month. I really want to quit to save money on my health indurance and the 4 bucks a day i spend on a can.

Dont get me wrong i absolutely LOVE to chew, but enough is enough. I am an rn, and up my patients butts all the time about smoking. I tell them to quit because it is my job, but secretly i feel like a huge hypocrite.

I want to know what you guys have done that works to quit for good. Made several unsuccessful attempts
there is a stop dipping aid called grindz. Its copy grinds in pounces to give you the feeling the jolt you get when you dip. Bunch of old ball teammates quit that way.

Aeroburner TP 9.5 Matrix Red Tie
Aeroburner Mini
Tour Issue Jetspeed TS
Jetspeed 3 Hybrid
Taylormade TP CB 4-P KBS Tour S
Taylormade TP 52  60
Tm Ghost Tour Black Marenello

#76 clubtwirlz

clubtwirlz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340811
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:lucascole99
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:02 AM

Add up all the money you would save and then go buy an iron set or something nice like that!

#77 frebird

frebird

freebird

• 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 362215
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:freebirdfishing-8912
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:40 PM

There is no easy way. I am 55 and have quit 5 times since I was 17. Chewed 2 packs of Redman a day, bought by the case.  This time I am going on 6 months  and hope for good. You just have to make your mind up and stick with it. What makes it even harder is when my golfing buddies pop in a chew. The smell jumps all over me. I guess Ill want a chew for the rest of my life but for now Im done. Look at it from an economics stand point.What do you spend a month? Enought I bet to buy a new driver every month!!!!!!!!  It doesnt hurt to have a wife who has been a nurse for 35 years to ride my a** everyday.  Good luck

#78 aflackhook13

aflackhook13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 330429
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:09 PM

Its a terrible disgusting habit but, I love dipping.  I grew up on a tobacco farm now raise beef cows.  I played baseball through college which is where habit got started.  I had cancer as a child, same neuroblastoma as Cincinnati Bengals Devon Scales daughter.  Stubborn or stupid I guess.

Why are all the good things so detrimental to our health?

#79 bigred90gt

bigred90gt

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68580
GolfWRX Likes : 632

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:14 PM

The Nicorette gum could help. It has nicotine in it, which you can buy in decreasing strengths as you become more comfortable with it, and the way you are supposed to use it, you are supposed to chew it until it gets a "peppery tingly" taste and then "Park" it in your gums like you would a dip. It will help in that it still puts something in your lip like you would a dip, and you still get the nicotine, but you don't get any of the harmful crap.

#80 Greenstealth

Greenstealth

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 338381
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:23 PM

I've chewed on and off for 15 years. I quit for new years, cold turkey. Obviously not wanting to be dependent on something, saving a couple dollars and all the other benefits of quitting are good reasons but for me, reading how Curt Schilling described his experience was enough for me to think twice and became more aware every time I had a dip. Quitting sucks, I went cold turkey, I believe "weening" yourself off only prolongs the symptoms of withdrawal. I don't even think about having a dip anymore and the physical cravings are non existent. What I do notice is that I still get really tense and I'm strung a little tight. Hopefully that stuff gets easier.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 Mr. Grumpy

Mr. Grumpy

Go CUBS!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140787
GolfWRX Likes : 338

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

Checking in on those who quit. Let us know how it's going!

Never heard of the grinds, not tempted now, but would have loved that option.
Cobra F7 SL - Modus 105x
Cobra F7 Driver
Looking for 3 wood
Cleveland RTX 52* (wearing out)
Titleist SM6 60* (love it, need 2 more)
1 Titleist 913H (good enough, f7 4i might be better)
Old Ping Putter with a new grip

#Ihavegaps #buildingyear

#82 pseudoswede

pseudoswede

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80998
  • Handicap:9ish
  • Ebay ID:pseudoswede
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:06 PM

View PostMr. Grumpy, on 22 February 2015 - 01:53 PM, said:

I'm at about 8.5 months. I've kept my cravings in check, but we'll see what happens when golf season starts up again.
Callaway XR Pro 9°
Callaway XR Pro 14°
Ping S56 3-PW (purple dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56°, 60° (purple dot)
Ping Redwood Piper S 34"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

#83 hayzooos

hayzooos

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51734
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 1799

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:16 PM

View Postsouthpaw72, on 16 February 2015 - 04:18 PM, said:

View PostClarkGrswld4, on 16 February 2015 - 04:01 PM, said:

I have never used it but hearing from some that have, the side effects are pretty crazy

This is what I was going to say too. A guy I used to golf with in NC quit smoking using this stuff and I could've sworn he said he used it before it became illegal. Obviously it's not, but that always stuck with me as maybe not being the best option and he told me about some of the issues his friends had using it.

That being said, he said it worked wonders.
Callaway Epic Sub-Zero 9.5* Veylix Naked
Cobra F7 UST Elements Chrome+ 7
Callaway 815 hybrid 20* (+2) Veylix 988
Srixon 745 4-PW Nippon Modus3 120
Cobra PUR 50/54/58 Nippon Modus3 Wedge 115
Odyssey MXM #1W
WITB Link

#84 gr8blueheronbird

gr8blueheronbird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129494
  • Ebay ID:harrierdogsrbest
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:27 PM

View PostMr. Grumpy, on 22 February 2015 - 01:53 PM, said:

I quit 12 years ago and it was Smokey Mountain chew that helped me quit at that time. It was a mint tasting chew(no tobacco,all natural) and it took about 3 months then any craving went away. I also quit coffee at the same time and that was not very fun. Switched to tea and have not looked back. It also helped me quit by chewing on no salt sunflower seeds. It will really make a difference on how your teeth look after you quit. All this should be reason to quit as well as your interactions with wife, children,co workers,etc...

#85 gr8blueheronbird

gr8blueheronbird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129494
  • Ebay ID:harrierdogsrbest
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:39 PM

View Posthayzooos, on 13 February 2015 - 05:12 PM, said:

I'll join in with the rest of you gents here. Just turned 32, been chewing for probably 15 years or so. Yeah, you can do the math on that one. Had a few stints here and there where I would 'quit', I think the longest was maybe 9-12 months or so. Habit is close to 3/4 of a can to a can a day. I watched my father-in-law go through quitting when he was in his late 50s and it was a sight that should've let me know to kick it then.

I was with him on the first day he didn't have anything. You could tell is was a HUGE struggle for him. He gives me crap all the time now when we're golfing, asking when I'm going to give it up. Like someone else said, he said it's just going to get harder as I get older. Wife hates it obviously, I have two baby girls that I should quit for.

Problem is, I like chewing. I don't necessarily want to even though I know all the good reasons to do so. It's getting to be that time though I just need to do it and get it over with. There have been days (sometimes only one, sometimes consecutive) I've gone without any chew (or only one) and it doesn't seem to be the nicotine that gets me...I usually don't get headaches or any of those other things that are associated with it. For me, it's the straight up oral fixation part of it. I seem to always either have a chew in or a piece of gum, mint, plastic toothpick, whatever, just chomping away.

Anyway, props to the guys who have successfully kicked the habit, it's not an easy one. I see some people talking about Grinds, but has anyone tried the Jake's Mint Chew? It's also just ground up mint leaves, I thought about giving that a whirl. With those types of substitutes, do you all spit as well, or just gut it?
Nice thoughts here. If I could give you some advice, go see an orthodontist. Even though your teeth may not need to be straightened, this person can help you quit. Just ask for an impression and they will make you see through retainers that will help straighten your teeth(if needed) but with these retainers in almost all the time, except for meals, you can not chew. Kinda like Invisalign but a whole lot cheaper. You can still talk clearly and you get used to them. I went through a year of Invisalign and it really makes any habits you may have had, they go away.

#86 Jbird33

Jbird33

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154081
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:04 AM

Good Luck to everybody quitting.   I've been on again, off again since 2001, and it is one tough habit to break.  Currently only dipping now on the course, one per side.  Thanks for the info on Grinds and the non-tobacco dips.

-Jbird

#87 Noyes26

Noyes26

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136297
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:Ball26
GolfWRX Likes : 399

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:02 PM

I've places my order for 10 cans of Grinds. Sign up for the email list and you instantly get a 10% off code. I was going to do the sample one but figured to use the savings for a decent amount. They shipped today. Should get here by Friday. I'll report next week how I'm doing.

I plan on going cold turkey, straight from Skoal to Grinds to done.
Titleist 915D3 9.5 AD DI 6x
Titleist 915F 16.5 Rogue Black X
Titleist 915HD 20.5 AD DI 85x
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW KBS
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 6
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 60
WITB Link

#88 HoosierHacker89

HoosierHacker89

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99812
  • Ebay ID:Pinggolfer2007
GolfWRX Likes : 281

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:39 PM

Bringing back an old thread. Today is day 2 of this go around. Hope to make it through. Going through a divorce now which makes it hard, but I think I'll manage. Nrt has really helped.

On a side more I quit golfing. Maybe pick it back up in year or 2.
Cobra F7+ 9.5
TM 07 Burner TP 17.5
Adams Idea Pro 20 & 23
Bridgestone j40 dpc 5-A
Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 58
Ping Nome

#89 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

Legend

• 10,558 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
GolfWRX Likes : 1857

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:48 PM

And I lasted a little over a month.  Got drunk, got a dip and am back on the Cope.

Gotta go back cold turkey again ASAP

Edited by RookieBlue7, 21 August 2016 - 09:49 PM.

#90 Bomber_

Bomber_

Enjoy the Chase.

• 2,321 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412188
  • Handicap:+1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 2896

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

Picture yourself without a bottom lip. or with throat cancer. or stomach cancer.

Now quit f*cking chewing - you have loved ones that want to keep you around.

Taylormade Tour Issue M2 9.5* w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70TX
Taylormade M2 Tour 15* 3W w/ Tensei CK Pro White 80TX
Taylormade M2 Tour 19* 5W w/ Tensei CK Pro White 80TX
Nike Vapor Pro 3-PW w/ DG TI X100
Nike Engage 52/56/60 w/ DG TI S400
Nike Method Oven Proto 006
Bridgestone B330S
Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors