Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

advice on quitting chewing for good

104 replies to this topic

#1 HoosierHacker89

HoosierHacker89

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99812
  • Ebay ID:Pinggolfer2007
GolfWRX Likes : 266

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:20 PM

I have been a can a day guy for 4 years now. Did it when i was a kid here and there but pick it up hard in 2011 starting nursing school. It is a filthy habit, expensive, and my wife hates it. I totally quit for 2 years but the stress of school really trigger the old habit. I turn 26 at the end of the month. I really want to quit to save money on my health indurance and the 4 bucks a day i spend on a can.

Dont get me wrong i absolutely LOVE to chew, but enough is enough. I am an rn, and up my patients butts all the time about smoking. I tell them to quit because it is my job, but secretly i feel like a huge hypocrite.

I want to know what you guys have done that works to quit for good. Made several unsuccessful attempts

TM 07 burner tp 9.5
TM r7 steel 4 wood
Bridgestone J33 3-P
Bridgestone West Coast 52/58
Ping Nome

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 3511

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:25 PM

Good luck Hoosier.

I don't know that there are any tricks. You just have to say no more and stick to it. So much easier said than done n

I quit over 20 years ago. And any time one of my buddies open their can of Copenhagen, I want to partake. And I'm guessing it would only take one time to be back hooked again.  

Like most everyone else, I "quit" on a regular basis until finally was able to make it stick.

I feel your pain,, and wish you the very best of luck.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#3 Rob G 89

Rob G 89

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249774
  • Ebay ID:Robgiancola89
GolfWRX Likes : 168

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:03 AM

I quit chewing around the same age as you, I basically weened myself off it because of my situation. Got an office job and was only able to chew during lunch and after work.

Once I was able to convince myself psychologically that I didnt  need it all the time I was able to quit. it's all mental. If you can make it a week it's smooth sailing from there.

#4 Arizonalefty59

Arizonalefty59

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130198
GolfWRX Likes : 2288

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:10 AM

I need help too. I dip about a half can a day and really need to knock it off. I went like 6 days last summer without any and sh** hit the fan. I couldn't sleep because my mind was racing. I even lost my goddamn golf game when I was trying to quit because that's all my mind could think about. I feel like I just need to break my habits like always dipping when I'm driving, in between classes and at night.

I quit soda and people say that quitting soda is even tougher than quitting nicotine, so I know I can do it.

Now that you posted this, I'm gonna finish up this can and see how long I can go without any starting tomorrow. I don't have any tournaments for like a month so now is the time to do it. Hopefully this thread can turn into a support group haha.

Edited by Arizonalefty59, 20 January 2015 - 12:23 AM.

#5 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 5640

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:50 AM

I don't have any advice but good luck guys! Hope you can kick it.

#6 knock it close

knock it close

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,821 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101876
  • Handicap:+2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 5203

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:07 AM

My cousin whose about OP's age quit cold turkey just over a year ago now, he still says he wakes up every morning wishing he could have a chew. He loved it, but he is happier than can be that he quit, best of luck guys. For me the nic is psychological and out of habit more than anything else. When I go visit my girl friend I can go weeks without any craving, but as soon as I head back I grab a carton and become a degenerate again.
M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

#7 wetdogsmell

wetdogsmell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131448
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:48 AM

Best of luck to anyone attempting to ditch a habit like this. I think that a key thing to remember is that if you slip up a bit, it doesn't mean you have failed. It's a process that will have it's ups and downs and you can get there.

I used to drink a ton of caffeinated soda. Then I got really bad food poisoning and the caffeine withdrawal symptoms were kind of 'covered up' with all my puking! :)  

So my suggestion is to go out this weekend and eat at all the shifty restaurants in your town.

#8 The7thLetter

The7thLetter

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 346543
GolfWRX Likes : 259

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:52 AM

It's a tough road man. Copenhagen every day here. Best of luck to you in kicking the habit. :drinks:

Don't give into the cravings...they will always pass!

#9 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,533 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 1781

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:21 AM

Just realize that quitting is a horrible and hard process.  There are not any shortcuts.  I never really dipped after a horrible experience throwing up when I was 15, but I smoked for years.  I'm convinced that the ONLY way you can quit is to want to not do it more than you want to.  It simply cannot be for someone else, etc, has to be for you.  For me it was kids.  I couldn't quit when I thought about them potentially growing up without a dad, but I could do it when I couldn't stand the idea of myself not being there to see them grow up.  The first few weeks were awful, but it settled down, and honestly now I rarely even miss it a few years in.  I can go to Vegas, bars, golf, whatever and be fine.

All that said, maybe try sunflower seeds.  For me, long car rides can be really annoying since I was so used to chain smoking.  I buy a bag of sunflower seeds and that really helps that urge to be doing something besides just sitting there.

#10 Arizonalefty59

Arizonalefty59

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:53 PM

Didn't have any coffee this morning because I always need a dip after a cup of coffee.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 NAM2212

NAM2212

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105047
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:11 PM

I quit about 5 years ago now. Started when I was 15 and quit when I was 30. I tried all kinds of ways to quit but the only one that worked was tossing the can out the window one day when I was driving and quitting cold turkey. The first week was rough. After that was no big deal. Good luck!

#12 blaird

blaird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63801
GolfWRX Likes : 401

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

I need to quit. I constantly have a dip in and am always scared of getting mouth cancer but I just cant seem to. Its like Im freaked out over cancer but I keep telling myself it wont happen to me. I know this is the dumbest thing in the world to think and I know its not true but I cant put it down. I will go to the pouches for a month or two to help on the actual amount of tobacco but it doesnt hold up long and I go right back to the good stuff. That first dip in the morning, dip after a meal, and playing golf with a dip are my key situations to dip.

I would give anything to be able to quit. I think higherground said it best...you have to not want to more than you want to. I smoked for years and managed to quit that without too much trouble but I always had dipping. Im on a diet and dont think now would be a good time to quit since I seem to eat and gain weight when I try and quit. I do know at some point I will have to. Hopefully I can do it before its too late.

Whoever is quitting dipping, smoking, chewing, whatever addiction they have, my thoughts and best wishes are with you. I know how hard it can be.

#13 UofU02

UofU02

Wingpointe GC...Never Forgotten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 231449
GolfWRX Likes : 1016

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:32 PM

I chewed for the better part of 10 years and quit cold turkey after a few outside events.  First, my wife gave birth to our first child, and two I had a cancer scare after seeing white spots on my gums.  It ended up being nothing serious and unrelated to chewing but I had a string of horrible panic attacks as I went from my dentist to my doctor and finally for a throat scope. That pretty much scared any desire to chew right out of me.  Good luck man.  The sooner the better.
Cobra FlyZ+ Driver
Taylormade M2 16.5* fairway wood
Cobra F6 2-3 and 3-4 hybrids
Mizuno MP-55 irons 5-P
Scotty Cameron AOP Newport Custom
Cleveland RTX 588 50*, 54* and 58*

#14 padget

padget

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249594
  • Ebay ID:padgeta
GolfWRX Likes : 170

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:47 PM

Good luck boss.  As a former dipper and smoker, the best advice I can give is to quit now, it gets harder the older you get.

Personally I loved dipping.  I don't want one anymore but I remember how much I enjoyed it.  Quitting cigarettes was different, I knew they were disgusting, made me feel unhealthy, and I really wanted to beat the addiction so it made quitting easier.  One thing I always hated was seeing an attractive woman, and then seeing her light a cigarette and just ruin it for me, very unattractive..  Dipping I actually really enjoyed, and besides the nasty dip cups, I really didn't have side effects.  I'm not really sure when I quit, but I couldn't dip at my job so I got out of the habit all together.  I was scared of getting mouth cancer as well.

The main motivation should be your family and loved ones.  It's your life, but they are going to have to put up with your mouth or lung cancer and all that it brings with it, coughing, bleeding, doctor visits, etc.  Pretty selfish to know that is going to happen and keep on doing it.  If you are single and alone and always will be, go for it.  If you have family members who care about you, than why put them through that for a disgusting habit that has been proven without a shadow of a doubt to have harmful effects.  It's not easy to quit, but it's easier than beating cancer.  

Best of luck!

#15 Arizonalefty59

Arizonalefty59

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:47 PM

View Postblaird, on 20 January 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

I need to quit. I constantly have a dip in and am always scared of getting mouth cancer but I just cant seem to. Its like Im freaked out over cancer but I keep telling myself it wont happen to me. I know this is the dumbest thing in the world to think and I know its not true but I cant put it down. I will go to the pouches for a month or two to help on the actual amount of tobacco but it doesnt hold up long and I go right back to the good stuff. That first dip in the morning, dip after a meal, and playing golf with a dip are my key situations to dip.

I would give anything to be able to quit. I think higherground said it best...you have to not want to more than you want to. I smoked for years and managed to quit that without too much trouble but I always had dipping. Im on a diet and dont think now would be a good time to quit since I seem to eat and gain weight when I try and quit. I do know at some point I will have to. Hopefully I can do it before its too late.

Whoever is quitting dipping, smoking, chewing, whatever addiction they have, my thoughts and best wishes are with you. I know how hard it can be.
That's been my problem. I tell myself I'll stick to pouches to try and help but then I find myself going right back to Copenhagen Long Cut Wintergreen (my go to good stuff).

#16 PZero

PZero

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129810
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 7068

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:58 PM

I quit cold turkey back in June for several reasons and I haven't and won't ever dip again. I quit because I wanted to quit and stayed committed to it. I never caved in and said "just one little pinch won't hurt". You need to commit to quitting and focus on that. You already have the motivation such as your wife, $$$, health, and your job. Sunflower seeds helped me a great deal, so try that route. It definitely helped me on the course. If you can make it 2 weeks then you'll be good.

Edited by PZero, 20 January 2015 - 02:32 PM.

R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
Titleist 913F 15°
TM R9 19°
Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
Studio Select Newport

#17 PZero

PZero

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:59 PM

View PostArizonalefty59, on 20 January 2015 - 12:10 AM, said:

I quit soda and people say that quitting soda is even tougher than quitting nicotine, so I know I can do it.

I tried to quit soda and failed. So I agree that it's harder to quit than nicotine.
R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
Titleist 913F 15°
TM R9 19°
Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
Studio Select Newport

#18 blaird

blaird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63801
GolfWRX Likes : 401

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:08 PM

View PostArizonalefty59, on 20 January 2015 - 01:47 PM, said:

View Postblaird, on 20 January 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

That's been my problem. I tell myself I'll stick to pouches to try and help but then I find myself going right back to Copenhagen Long Cut Wintergreen (my go to good stuff).

You and I would get along...that is my go to stuff as well!!

Like Pzero says, you have to want to quit. And then after a day or two and the cravings really start kicking in, you have to have the determination to not get that one pinch. I have heard its a bad fight for a month or so but gradually gets easier as you get used to not getting a dip when you normally would. It never really goes away but gets easier.

#19 J-Tizzle

J-Tizzle

Beef is my spirit animal...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1530
  • Handicap:+0.4
  • Ebay ID:tumbo79
GolfWRX Likes : 456

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:46 PM

I'm still trying to quit the smoking.  I can do good for 3-4 months then it just kicks up and I want one, have one, then buy a pack and I'm back.

I am easing myself off this time with the nicotine gum and toothpicks, I'll chew the gum until its gone then be totally reliant on the picks!  Good Luck!!!
Ping G400 8.5* LST (eventually) - Ping i25 14* - Ping Anser 17* - Adams 9031 23* - Ping I200 5-W - Ping Gorge 2.0 50*, 56* (@ 55*), 60* - Bobby Grace Let's Face It.  

#20 thekru

thekru

HeadSteady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106550
GolfWRX Likes : 273

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:57 PM

I quit after 25 years, cold turkey. Just one day I realized I didn't even like it anymore.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Arizonalefty59

Arizonalefty59

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

Cravings are starting to really kick in. Picked up some Black and Mild's for when I get home, maybe that curves them because once I smoke a cigar, there is absolutely no way I can throw in a dip.

#22 topr

topr

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124780
GolfWRX Likes : 887

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

Cold Turkey is the way to go. Try to avoid going out drinking for the first couple of weeks, recipe for failure. Get yourself some hard candy for the mornings and after meals.

#23 aswo3332

aswo3332

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54223
  • Ebay ID:aswo3332
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:44 PM

Toothpicks and coffee stirrers helped, but the first week still sucks.  I remember quitting for about 4 weeks, had a dip one day even though I didn't even really want one, and the habit started again.  It's tough to kick.

#24 PZero

PZero

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:50 PM

Arizonalefty59, on 20 January 2015 - 07:07 PM, said:

Cravings are starting to really kick in. Picked up some Black and Mild's for when I get home, maybe that curves them because once I smoke a cigar, there is absolutely no way I can throw in a dip.

Get some seeds and jolly ranchers.
R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
Titleist 913F 15°
TM R9 19°
Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
Studio Select Newport

#25 padget

padget

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 249594
  • Ebay ID:padgeta
GolfWRX Likes : 170

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:49 PM

Rooting for you man.  I would advise against the black and milds.  Smoking a cigar every once in a while for enjoyment is one thing.  Smoking them when you have nicotine cravings from not dipping is just trading one vice for an equally as bad one.  People are going to hate being around that too so while intentions are good, smoking actually harms everyone.  Getting off my soapbox now, in reality, the nicotine is what is holding you back so kick it once and for good.  

It's far from easy, if it takes being a crazy ahole for a month until you the cravings subside, be a crazy ahole for a month, eventually your nerves will calm down.  Good luck bud!

#26 Arizonalefty59

Arizonalefty59

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

padget, on 21 January 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

Rooting for you man.  I would advise against the black and milds.  Smoking a cigar every once in a while for enjoyment is one thing.  Smoking them when you have nicotine cravings from not dipping is just trading one vice for an equally as bad one.  People are going to hate being around that too so while intentions are good, smoking actually harms everyone.  Getting off my soapbox now, in reality, the nicotine is what is holding you back so kick it once and for good.  

It's far from easy, if it takes being a crazy ahole for a month until you the cravings subside, be a crazy ahole for a month, eventually your nerves will calm down.  Good luck bud!
Almost 48 hours with no dip, and I really have not had any urge to stop and buy a can at all today. My gums already feel amazing to be honest. I just need to keep my mind off of having one. Practiced for 5 hours today so that really, really helped.

Edited by Arizonalefty59, 21 January 2015 - 06:40 PM.

#27 thekru

thekru

HeadSteady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106550
GolfWRX Likes : 273

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

Arizonalefty59, on 21 January 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

Almost 48 hours with no dip, and I really have not had any urge to stop and buy a can at all today. My gums already feel amazing to be honest. I just need to keep my mind off of having one. Practiced for 5 hours today so that really, really helped.

That's what you have to focus on!  Your mouth feels better, tastes better, cleaner.  Just keep that thought in mind.  That is really how I kicked it. I just realized that I don't like it any more. I felt much better without it!

GO PATS!!!

Edited by thekru, 21 January 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#28 thechief16

thechief16

I am Ian Baker Finch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92473
GolfWRX Likes : 1819

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:43 PM

I quit in May after 25 years (and a half dozen failed efforts to quit) and I can't tell you what the secret is.  Maybe it was just my time.  Maybe it was seeing what had happened to Tony Gwynn and Curt Schilling.  The first couple weeks were tough, but it got easier every day.  By the end of the summer, the cravings were pretty much all gone, and when I did think about it, it became a point of personal pride that I hadn't given in.

One thing I would say is that you cant have just one and think it's just gonna be one.  Nicotine is a deceitful b****.  She will screw with your head and one becomes one a week, which becomes one a day, and suddenly you are doing a tin a day again.
LTD
Steelhead 4+
F6 Baffler
dhy 18*
XTD Tour 4-P
King 52*/58*
O Works V Line Fang

#29 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,513 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
GolfWRX Likes : 1810

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:54 PM

I've been trying to quit my 10 cans a week Cope habit for over a year now. Every time it's going good there's a stressor and it's right back to full time again. I need to quit, I figured up how much I spend a year and it's sickening. I'm talking a nice family vacation pretty much anywhere spent on spit. I have no advice but good luck.

I'm gonna try the "mint" dip next

#30 The7thLetter

The7thLetter

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 346543
GolfWRX Likes : 259

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:26 AM

Arizonalefty59, on 21 January 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

Good luck man!

Go Pats!

Edited by The7thLetter, 22 January 2015 - 11:27 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors