Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 42 votes

Blade users thread (no debating clubheads!)

16368 replies to this topic

#16291 lagwagon23

lagwagon23

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70598
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:56 PM

Don't get to practice much these days and struggle with driver so my handicap is about a 12 now.  I started out playing some Lynx blades back in the day, atm I am playing some Mizuno mp18's. I actually have some old Ping eye 2 cavity backs that I pull out and play from time to time as well.

I want to try out some titleist MB's and AP2's. I mostly play blades because of the aesthetic at address.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#16292 Mfelix

Mfelix

FelixUCF

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 332895
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:mfelix.titleist@gmail.com
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:37 PM

712MB, love the butter knife look and feel to them.
Titleist 915D2 9.5 AD-DI 7x
Titleist 910F 15 Grandura 80TX
Titleist 915H 19  Diamana 90HY X
Titleist 710 AP2 4 KBS C-Taper 120S
Titleist 712 MB 5-PW KBS C-Taper 120S
Titleist SM4 51 DG S400
Titleist SM6 54, 60 KBS
Scotty Cameron GoLo 3

#16293 Sir Slicealot

Sir Slicealot

Mr. MP-4

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433816
  • Handicap:Ha
GolfWRX Likes : 596

Posted 13 April 2018 - 04:39 PM

Well Iron Man golf went less swimmingly than expected. First and foremost, I want to thank my MP-4s for carrying the round wonderfully and making every shot count. Zero problems with my irons today. My four iron is becoming my friend for some reason. I'm not questioning this, but it appears it's been putting in a good word for me to the 3 iron too. So 3-P no problems today! So let's review the decision to go with the Ram Tour Grind 1 iron as long club in the bag. I realized that it's a Tour Stiff shaft today. That's an interesting and fun development. I messed up a few shots off the tee while learning where the club wanted to be played. It's a little back from the instep of the front foot. Thou shalt not think of anything else while swinging this club nor shall you look anywhere else than at the ball. If you do, you can shake and wring your hands on the seventy yards walk and try again. Thou shouldst swing like thou has a pair and with a king's confidence at all times. Short learning curve there. I was however able to pull off some crazy shots that cut under trees and then carried down the course. I'd be lying if I said anything other than I love the rollout of this club. Now to build up my swing speed to take advantage.
So it was windy today on the course which is why I elected to try this. With all the practice, it got easier by the end and I developed a baby fade. As I got tired, I choked down on the club and kept the dream alive. The greens at the local goat track were hard as a rock, and had been halfheartedly sanded and aerated. With these conditions, we weren't able to hold the greens at all and putting was adventurously unpredictable. I figured out how to counter this, but my skill at lob shots is in the development stage. I stole a par twice by dropping it so close to the pin that I almost couldn't miss. Five wedges was a challenge that is best done after extended practice. I need more information about the 52, 56 and 64. That was a huge mistake on my part. Anyway, thanks to my beautiful MP-4s for carrying the round. They made me so happy today. I was nothing but confidence swinging anything from 4-P and it caused them to be a bit longer I feel. The one time I needed the 3 iron it came through in a big way.
WITB:
RAM Tour Grind 1 iron Tempur Dynamic Tour Stiff
MP-4 3-PW DG300S
MD Forged 52°
MD PM 56°
MD PM 60°
MD PM 64°
2014 8802
Out:
XR 9°Pro Speeder 665 Evolution II Tour Spec X-flex
GBB Mini 1.5 14° Speeder 565 S-flex
Tight Lies II 3+ 13.5°
MP-29 1-2 DG300S
Fli-Hi II 21°
Fli-Hi II 18°

#16294 Athleo47

Athleo47

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 496092
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:Athletic35
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:15 AM

View PostSir Slicealot, on 13 April 2018 - 04:39 PM, said:

Well Iron Man golf went less swimmingly than expected. First and foremost, I want to thank my MP-4s for carrying the round wonderfully and making every shot count. Zero problems with my irons today. My four iron is becoming my friend for some reason. I'm not questioning this, but it appears it's been putting in a good word for me to the 3 iron too. So 3-P no problems today! So let's review the decision to go with the Ram Tour Grind 1 iron as long club in the bag. I realized that it's a Tour Stiff shaft today. That's an interesting and fun development. I messed up a few shots off the tee while learning where the club wanted to be played. It's a little back from the instep of the front foot. Thou shalt not think of anything else while swinging this club nor shall you look anywhere else than at the ball. If you do, you can shake and wring your hands on the seventy yards walk and try again. Thou shouldst swing like thou has a pair and with a king's confidence at all times. Short learning curve there. I was however able to pull off some crazy shots that cut under trees and then carried down the course. I'd be lying if I said anything other than I love the rollout of this club. Now to build up my swing speed to take advantage.
So it was windy today on the course which is why I elected to try this. With all the practice, it got easier by the end and I developed a baby fade. As I got tired, I choked down on the club and kept the dream alive. The greens at the local goat track were hard as a rock, and had been halfheartedly sanded and aerated. With these conditions, we weren't able to hold the greens at all and putting was adventurously unpredictable. I figured out how to counter this, but my skill at lob shots is in the development stage. I stole a par twice by dropping it so close to the pin that I almost couldn't miss. Five wedges was a challenge that is best done after extended practice. I need more information about the 52, 56 and 64. That was a huge mistake on my part. Anyway, thanks to my beautiful MP-4s for carrying the round. They made me so happy today. I was nothing but confidence swinging anything from 4-P and it caused them to be a bit longer I feel. The one time I needed the 3 iron it came through in a big way.
They are back from the pro, hit a few balls indoors and they perform amazing, kbs ctaper 1/2 inch over 2° up midsize grips 2 wraps, just need to see how they perform on course. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#16295 adam.byrne

adam.byrne

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 288141
  • Ebay ID:adambyrne18
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:52 PM

Satoshi Kodaira just won with PRGR Tune irons. Given a 3 week order (guessing), a week to game and not like...I predict a set in the classifieds around May 21. Over under?

#16296 PopIt&DropIt

PopIt&DropIt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 491086
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 15 April 2018 - 03:26 PM

Not sure how you guys feel about this finish or the prices as I'm pretty uneducated with both but this guy is selling some good looking and interesting sets.  

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/232729793677

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/332619157300

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/332616908480

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/232732015267

Thought some here might want to know. I'm pretty tempted on those mp 14s even though I've promised myself I'm going to stop buying irons :)

#16297 Sebmour

Sebmour

sebastiendamour.com

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311493
  • Handicap:1.8
GolfWRX Likes : 151

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:34 PM

I freakin love my Callaway Apex MB 2018.
www.sebastiendamour.com
2016 Taylormade M2 9.5*
Taylormade SLDR Mini driver TP 14*
Titleist 915 Hd 17.5*
Callaway Apex MB 2018 3-PW
Vokey SM7 54M and 60D
Odyssey O-Works R line

#16298 Sir Slicealot

Sir Slicealot

Mr. MP-4

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:38 PM

View PostSebmour, on 15 April 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

I freakin love my Callaway Apex MB 2018.
Care to expand on that?? Favorite club? Otherwise I'm going to say *raspberry* I love my MP-4s and we're back at square one...
WITB:
MP-4 3-PW DG300S
MD Forged 52°
MD PM 56°
MD PM 60°
MD PM 64°
2014 8802
Out:
Tight Lies II 3+ 13.5°
MP-29 1-2 DG300S
Fli-Hi II 21°
Fli-Hi II 18°

#16299 ohiogolf99

ohiogolf99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433038
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:21 PM

I forced myself to learn how to play Hogan Apex Grinds in high school and stuck with them for close to a decade then moved on to mp 14s for another decade. Although my current game is not strong enough to still bag them, there is absolutely nothing like sending tight draw or butter cut with a 2 iron that doubles as a butter knife... and I miss that a whole heck of a lot.
-905s 8.5* Graffaloy Blue
-PT13* (non bore thru original) x100
-Apex Pro ‘14 2-AW x100
-588 rtx2.0 59* kbs hi-rev
Lamkin UTx cord
-Bettinardi Kuchar 2HM 34.5”
Lamkin deep etch
-B330s or Ksig

#16300 Jonesy

Jonesy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90848
GolfWRX Likes : 849

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:21 AM

Post club champs update:

I'm still not swinging 100%, I still have a horrendous left shot in the bag at the moment which I really need to sort out... it cost me on both days. I was definitely swinging better but that left shot scares me, especially with driver, I'm actually leaving driver alone cause I can't hit it and it was probably the best club in my bag not so long ago. Yesterday I dropped 8 shots in 4 holes because of that left shot... ended up shooting 8 over for the day.

On the plus side, I did hit some decent shots out there, the weather was rainy and windy so there was plenty of opportunity for manufacturing golf shots which is always fun. The saving grace of the whole weekend was on the 18th yesterday, we end on a pretty long uphill par 3 with huge bunkers around the green and just outside of those bunkers is OB, yesterday it was playing about 190m (200 yards?) pin was at the back and about 50 people watching, I hit it pin high left on a steep bank and it stayed there, out came the trusty LW and a focus that had been escaping me all day, made a good pass at the ball and in it went for a 2 on the last in front of a pretty decent crowd, I was too happy. I can only imagine what it must be like for the pros on the big stage!

Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5*
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18*
Mizuno MP H-4 2 iron
Callaway X Prototype 4 - PW
Cleveland 50* Mizuno 54* 58* MP-T11
Scotty Cameron Newport

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#16301 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
GolfWRX Likes : 2419

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

Ok... this should be entitled Confessions of an Idiot.

So I have a set of 716 T-MB. They are great. I am swinging at the ball maybe the best in my life (I went to a practice range at the masters where Ted Scott (Bubbas caddy) happened to be giving s clinic and he summed up the whole idea of lessons with Monte in an hour that is really working for me).

So... of course my mind turns back to blades. I love my Macs but want something else for totally irrational reasons. (Club ho drive)

The one parameter is I would prefer stronger lofts so I can mesh them with t-MB’s (pw 45-46). The other thing is I am very picky about the look at address - this is part of what sunk the baby blades - too boxy (I think that is what describes the look I do not like) where the heel of the blade is too tall.

The Hogan’s can do this (strong lofts) but at the very low price point they are selling them at new I am skeptical of the quality.

At the other extreme are the new custom irons but these are real pricey - but could be perfect.

Like I said, confessions of an idiot.

Callaway Epic 10.5
Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
Callway xhot 3 h
Titleist T-MB 4-W Modus 105 R
RomaRo Pro 3-W
Macgregor vfoil 1025m 5-W 1025C 4
Fourteen mt28v3 50, 52, 54,58
Cameron Futura 5W

#16302 PopIt&DropIt

PopIt&DropIt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 491086

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:03 AM

View Postwmblake2000, on 16 April 2018 - 10:36 AM, said:

So I have a set of 716 T-MB. They are great. I am swinging at the ball maybe the best in my life (I went to a practice range at the masters where Ted Scott (Bubbas caddy) happened to be giving s clinic and he summed up the whole idea of lessons with Monte in an hour that is really working for me).

So... of course my mind turns back to blades. I love my Macs but want something else for totally irrational reasons. (Club ho drive)

The one parameter is I would prefer stronger lofts so I can mesh them with t-MB’s (pw 45-46). The other thing is I am very picky about the look at address - this is part of what sunk the baby blades - too boxy (I think that is what describes the look I do not like) where the heel of the blade is too tall.

The Hogan’s can do this (strong lofts) but at the very low price point they are selling them at new I am skeptical of the quality.

At the other extreme are the new custom irons but these are real pricey - but could be perfect.

Didn't read anything idiotic there, just hos being hos :)

All I would say is make sure you try some Hogans before giving up on them.  Before they went direct to consumer everyone was saying they were too expensive. Now the exact same clubs are seen as too cheap.  I personally find the top line a little too thick and the offset a little too much for my eye but they are a great performing set of irons. They just look and feel more like a players cb at address. Despite me not enjoying the look I cant let them go because they are too good at their job.

#16303 mahonie

mahonie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80712
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 1600

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:41 AM

Always happy to encourage a fellow blade user to spend some...PW in the MP4s is 46* ��
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
MD Golf Superstrong 3-wood UST Proforce 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Mizuno MP4 4-PW DG S300
Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Radius Classic 8

#16304 NRJyzr

NRJyzr

Séamus is 1 yr old now!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,205 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72626
  • Ebay ID:n.r.jyzr
GolfWRX Likes : 4608

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:49 AM

If you're worried about brand new Hogan blade quality, check the used market.  Global Golf, 2nd Swing, plenty of places to source clubs from the pre-bankruptcy version of the new Hogan Golf.

Now with that out of the way...  first, I have to make the obvious comment and suggest dropping the Titleists.  Why do that to yourself, you have so much to live for?  (LOL)  ;)

If you wish to keep them and merge a blade set in there, the Cobra Fly Z Pro, more recent King Cobra blades, or even the AMP Cell Pros, would fit your requirements, having a 46* PW.

The Srixon 945/965 blades would also work, as would the MP-4/MP-5.

Ultimately, I would suggest thinking in terms of lofts, and not worry about the number on the bottom of the club.  Club numbers are meaningless; a 38* club is a 38* club, regardless of how it's stamped.  If you can ignore possible club number duplication, it brings any number of older sets into play.  Wilson Staffs, MacGregors, Rams, Powerbilts, Mizuno, etc.  

Potential is wide open
The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver:  King LTD, HZRDUS 75 6.5 at 44½" --or-- R9 SuperDeep, Protopype 80 X at 43½" --or-- SLDR White, RIP Alpha 80 X at 44"

3w:  TEE E8 Beta 12°, Rogue Silver 70 X at 43"

2h Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400 tipped slightly

3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S --or-- 1-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, DGS400 (toggle 1i and 2h above)

SW:  Ram Tom Watson 55°, DGX ss2x
LW:  Maltby Design 60°, DGS300 tipped 1"
SW:  Ram Troon Grind 58°, Dynamic S (with 1-PW set, replacing SW/LW above)
Putter:  Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
Balls:  in no particular order...  Wilson Staff FG Tour or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV
Shoes by True Linkswear
Pure Pro grips, various colors (also trying Royal X-Treme V)

#16305 Sir Slicealot

Sir Slicealot

Mr. MP-4

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:48 PM

So I'm not a ho since I play the same irons all the time. I'm leaning more towards long iron connoisseur or collector of the two irons. I'd say one irons but there are few true one irons(15°). The fact that I added four wedges into the rotation this year is irrelevant.

WITB:
MP-4 3-PW DG300S
MD Forged 52°
MD PM 56°
MD PM 60°
MD PM 64°
2014 8802
Out:
Tight Lies II 3+ 13.5°
MP-29 1-2 DG300S
Fli-Hi II 21°
Fli-Hi II 18°

#16306 Nard_S

Nard_S

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
GolfWRX Likes : 1648

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:09 PM

What would be wrong with the Titleist blades to match the T's?

#16307 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,291 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:50 PM

View PostNRJyzr, on 16 April 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

I have to make the obvious comment and suggest dropping the Titleists.  Why do that to yourself, you have so much to live for?  (LOL)  ;)

Thats funny!
Callaway Epic 10.5
Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
Callway xhot 3 h
RomaRo Pro 3-W
Cameron Futura 5W

#16308 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,291 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:00 PM

I actually would prefer to add some titleist blades but the meshing of lofts is not good - for whatever reason, from deep in the mists of time, I’ve always associated titleist with players clubs. They are the emotional leader.

MP4/5, Srixon, Hogan, Cobra ... Plus JDM is always a possibility.

Ok I need to pay attention to what I’m doing. No great rush and deciding is half the fun.

There is a second way I sometimes think - get hybrids 3-6 blades 7-w. Just to be unconventional. Except I love hitting blade long irons.

The custom irons are also still in play too but at $500+ per (incl shaft, grip) that’s not an incidently honey I got another set kind of set...

It’s all fun. It is. Golf is fun. Hard as hell but totally fun.
Callaway Epic 10.5
Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
Callway xhot 3 h
RomaRo Pro 3-W
Cameron Futura 5W

#16309 Nard_S

Nard_S

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
GolfWRX Likes : 1648

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:12 PM

View Postwmblake2000, on 16 April 2018 - 04:00 PM, said:

I actually would prefer to add some titleist blades but the meshing of lofts is not good - for whatever reason, from deep in the mists of time, I’ve always associated titleist with players clubs. They are the emotional leader.

Ok I need to pay attention to what I’m doing. No great rush and deciding is half the fun.

There is a second way I sometimes think - get hybrids 3-6 blades 7-w. Just to be unconventional. Except I love hitting blade long irons.

The custom irons are also still in play too but at $500+ per (incl shaft, grip) that’s not an incidently honey I got another set kind of set...

I've heard good things about their recent blades and I'm smitten with 681's of yore. Do believe you can get custom grinds on them. My thought is that a combo set of same brand is better in the long run. They all have that option now. Titleist, Callaway, Cobra, Mizuno, TM even Hogan (which might be worth vetting). CB in long and MB in short, all with good integration. Easier to sell that setup for your next round of hoedom. :)

#16310 Sir Slicealot

Sir Slicealot

Mr. MP-4

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:34 PM

The 716 MB's almost had my interest. I have a 7i and it has a sweet topline and really looks goods at address. The main drawback is that they aren't as soft as the MP-4s. I'd be interested to see if the 718's are any better.

WITB:
MP-4 3-PW DG300S
MD Forged 52°
MD PM 56°
MD PM 60°
MD PM 64°
2014 8802
Out:
Tight Lies II 3+ 13.5°
MP-29 1-2 DG300S
Fli-Hi II 21°
Fli-Hi II 18°

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#16311 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,291 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:20 PM

View PostSir Slicealot, on 16 April 2018 - 09:34 PM, said:

The 716 MB's almost had my interest. I have a 7i and it has a sweet topline and really looks goods at address. The main drawback is that they aren't as soft as the MP-4s. I'd be interested to see if the 718's are any better.

I have decided feel is less important to me than look at address... which is funny because in most areas of life I listen more than look...
Callaway Epic 10.5
Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
Callway xhot 3 h
RomaRo Pro 3-W
Cameron Futura 5W

#16312 djfalcone

djfalcone

Exceptionally Average

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136969
  • Ebay ID:falconeusmc
GolfWRX Likes : 464

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:35 PM

So, here is my story,

I was never afforded the opportunity to play golf as a child or teenager (my parents couldn't afford it). I always wanted to play, but just couldn't. When I joined the Marine Corps and moved out of my small town and went one my first deployment to Afghanistan - I found this game. In Afghanistan there was one blade Hogan 9 iron and 1 ball. I've played blades ever since. I'm a single digit now working on breaking the scratch barrier this year and I've never had a lesson. I'm currently gaming the Taylormade P730 - love them. Anyone else gaming them?
Taylormade M3 9.5
915f 13*
915h 18*
Taylormade P730 4-9
Taylormade MG 47,52,56,60
Masterful Tour Rat
TP5X

Instagram : danieljfalcone

http://www.golfwrx.c...l-you-about-it/
^^I caddied for Rory and JVegas

#16313 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,291 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 12:14 AM

View Postdjfalcone, on 16 April 2018 - 11:35 PM, said:

So, here is my story,

I was never afforded the opportunity to play golf as a child or teenager (my parents couldn't afford it). I always wanted to play, but just couldn't. When I joined the Marine Corps and moved out of my small town and went one my first deployment to Afghanistan - I found this game. In Afghanistan there was one blade Hogan 9 iron and 1 ball. I've played blades ever since. I'm a single digit now working on breaking the scratch barrier this year and I've never had a lesson. I'm currently gaming the Taylormade P730 - love them. Anyone else gaming them?

Well done! Very well done!
Callaway Epic 10.5
Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
Callway xhot 3 h
RomaRo Pro 3-W
Cameron Futura 5W

#16314 Jonesy

Jonesy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90848
GolfWRX Likes : 849

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:12 AM

View Postwmblake2000, on 16 April 2018 - 04:00 PM, said:

The emotional leader :lol: Had a chuckle at that...

What about an MP4 and 5 combo set? 5's in the long irons and 4's in the mid/short? Or maybe a Fli Hi/MP18 mixed set... that would be pretty cool...

A mate of mine went with AP2's in the 4-6 and then 714MB's from 7 to PW which is unusual but is actually a really good combination. Personally I don't think I'd do it, but there are some of these setups out there.
Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5*
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18*
Mizuno MP H-4 2 iron
Callaway X Prototype 4 - PW
Cleveland 50* Mizuno 54* 58* MP-T11
Scotty Cameron Newport

#16315 Sir Slicealot

Sir Slicealot

Mr. MP-4

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:27 AM

View Postdjfalcone, on 16 April 2018 - 11:35 PM, said:

So, here is my story,

So a 9 iron with one ball? So you're Kevlar-ono "Kevvy" Ball-is-thereos?

WITB:
MP-4 3-PW DG300S
MD Forged 52°
MD PM 56°
MD PM 60°
MD PM 64°
2014 8802
Out:
Tight Lies II 3+ 13.5°
MP-29 1-2 DG300S
Fli-Hi II 21°
Fli-Hi II 18°

#16316 Ping Player

Ping Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16175

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:46 AM

Well... I have been playing blades since I started playing golf. In HS I gamed 66 Wilson Staff DynaPower 2 - PW. In college it was the FG-17. Next up was Maxfli Australian Blade then Titleist 660. Recently I just picked up Callaway MBs. Despite my screen name I have never been without blades. Ping i5s were in the bag for a long time but one of my sets of blades would make their way out once in a while. Great thread I've enjoyed reading it and following along.

#16317 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,291 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:03 PM

Callaway mb have maybe the best look to my eye at address...
Callaway Epic 10.5
Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
Callway xhot 3 h
RomaRo Pro 3-W
Cameron Futura 5W

#16318 Christen_The_Sloop

Christen_The_Sloop

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 384674
GolfWRX Likes : 831

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:36 AM

Rectified a poor decision I made selling TN87s last summer.

They are the prettiest irons. Put them right in my bag. The top line on the 2-7 irons is magic, just dead straight, and the way they frame the ball is like no other. The shorter irons have a little more off-set as many on here know, but that doesn't bother me as I grew up playing Eye2s.

Got lucky with the condition of the irons, as the faces are clean, with just a few marks on the soles, hell even the SW is clean. Not bad for a near 30 year old head. Gonna try them with Modus 120s. Ought to be pretty nice.

Also picked up a Founders Club 1-iron. I think it'll be fun to take out. Might do an iron man in the near future, once I find a shaft for it.
D - Titleist 915 D3 Tour Ad MJ 6X
15 - Titleist 915 FD Attas G7 6X
18 - Royal Collection SFD X7 Speeder 757X
3-PW - Taylormade X300 - FCI DGS300
54 - KM Miura
60 - Ping Eye2 XG / Ping Eye2 BECU

Backups, Classics and Projects

Yamaha Sutton grinds SX25 3-PW
Hogan Redlines 3-E
Founders 200 series 3-P
Bridgestone Proisme 2-P
MT Tourney R58 3-P
Dunlop DP-30 3-P
Tourstage MR-23 US Spec. CB

#16319 Sir Slicealot

Sir Slicealot

Mr. MP-4

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:25 AM

Iron Man is very fun! Go somewhere with soft greens and rolling fairways. 16° of goodness! Are you looking at graphite or steel shafts? I'm going to the driving range today to test the steel vs. graphite shaft Ram 1 irons. Of course I'll take the 14's and 29's out to air them out. Could lead to a reshuffling of the bag...
WITB:
MP-4 3-PW DG300S
MD Forged 52°
MD PM 56°
MD PM 60°
MD PM 64°
2014 8802
Out:
Tight Lies II 3+ 13.5°
MP-29 1-2 DG300S
Fli-Hi II 21°
Fli-Hi II 18°

#16320 Christen_The_Sloop

Christen_The_Sloop

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 384674
GolfWRX Likes : 831

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:35 AM

View PostSir Slicealot, on 18 April 2018 - 09:25 AM, said:

Iron Man is very fun! Go somewhere with soft greens and rolling fairways. 16° of goodness! Are you looking at graphite or steel shafts? I'm going to the driving range today to test the steel vs. graphite shaft Ram 1 irons. Of course I'll take the 14's and 29's out to air them out. Could lead to a reshuffling of the bag...

I've got a x100 in the Dunlop Seve Limited 1-iron and it's a thing of beauty. I think putting graphite in the Founders is sacrilege, so something steel...

D - Titleist 915 D3 Tour Ad MJ 6X
15 - Titleist 915 FD Attas G7 6X
18 - Royal Collection SFD X7 Speeder 757X
3-PW - Taylormade X300 - FCI DGS300
54 - KM Miura
60 - Ping Eye2 XG / Ping Eye2 BECU

Backups, Classics and Projects

Yamaha Sutton grinds SX25 3-PW
Hogan Redlines 3-E
Founders 200 series 3-P
Bridgestone Proisme 2-P
MT Tourney R58 3-P
Dunlop DP-30 3-P
Tourstage MR-23 US Spec. CB

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

sir_templar2, FiveOffTheTee, bodhi555

GolfWRX Sponsors