Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 38 votes

Blade users thread (no debating clubheads!)

15038 replies to this topic

#14881 caeye0710

caeye0710

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481792
  • Handicap:.5
  • Ebay ID:caeye0710
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

View Postjustasgood, on 11 October 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

So I jumped into the Miura pool and picked up a lightly used set of MB001 3-PW with Tour Issue S400 shafts.

Wanted BB but it wasn't in the cards.

Anywho, I have played blades all my life and I must admit.....the feel is real. Here is a pic of the very first shot hit with them. 148 in, back pin slightly uphill. Pitching wedge that surprised me at how heavy, yet pure it felt. Never left the pin:

Attachment 4931.jpeg

What are your thoughts on the Miura long irons? I've been eyeing a set, but don't know if it's worth switching from my Ft Worth's considering how much I love them. Do you know the lofts by any chance?

Driver - Taylormade 2016 M2 - 8.75 degrees
3wood - Taylormade 2016 M2 - 15 degrees
Titleist 718 T-MB 2 iron
Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 20-44
Ben Hogan TK 49 degree
Ben Hogan TK 53 degree
Ben Hogan TK 58 degree
Ping Sigma G Kushin 35.25"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#14882 justasgood

justasgood

Without Tempo, you are just a hacker.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212517
  • Handicap:I.Q.
  • Ebay ID:klccsam
GolfWRX Likes : 1385

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:03 PM

View Postcaeye0710, on 11 October 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

View Postjustasgood, on 11 October 2017 - 12:43 PM, said:

So I jumped into the Miura pool and picked up a lightly used set of MB001 3-PW with Tour Issue S400 shafts.

Wanted BB but it wasn't in the cards.

Anywho, I have played blades all my life and I must admit.....the feel is real. Here is a pic of the very first shot hit with them. 148 in, back pin slightly uphill. Pitching wedge that surprised me at how heavy, yet pure it felt. Never left the pin:

Attachment 4931.jpeg

What are your thoughts on the Miura long irons? I've been eyeing a set, but don't know if it's worth switching from my Ft Worth's considering how much I love them. Do you know the lofts by any chance?

Only 9 holes with em but I hit a few 3 irons and plenty of 5 irons. The 3-5 have a very thin sole which I love. The S400 shafts are hard stepped so elevating them takes a good swing. I think the 3 iron is 21* but I haven't checked em. I play em, note my carries and adjust my shot and club selection accordingly. I never have gotten twisted up over lofts.

I had the Ft worth a and really wanted to love em, but I never got the feedback I expected so they were moved out.

The TK wedges are solid and I do still have them

But the feel.......WOW!!!!!

Edited by justasgood, 11 October 2017 - 03:04 PM.

#14883 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 3398

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:29 AM

Quick update on the MP18s.
So far, I've only played a round with them, and practiced a few times. My iron play at the moment is not good, no matter what set I use. That said, I have hit some decent shots with them.
I would say that they are good irons, easier to use than the MP4s, but not as much fun. They're almost boring, but I don't mean that in a bad way. They're boringly good.
As has been noted by others in this thread, the top lines are on the thick side, but the heads appear more compact than the MP4s, so that thicker top line just adds to their meaty appearance.
I'm liking them, I just wish I were hitting them with better consistency!
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade R9, Motore X (stock) or V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB FW 75SX
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Irons: Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"      
Wedges: Callaway MD2 50* and 54* S Grind, MD2 58* T-grind                      
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9

#14884 Christen_The_Sloop

Christen_The_Sloop

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 384674
GolfWRX Likes : 709

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:38 AM

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 12 October 2017 - 07:29 AM, said:

So far, I've only played a round with them, and practiced a few times. My iron play at the moment is not good, no matter what set I use. That said, I have hit some decent shots with them.
I would say that they are good irons, easier to use than the MP4s, but not as much fun. They're almost boring, but I don't mean that in a bad way. They're boringly good.
As has been noted by others in this thread, the top lines are on the thick side, but the heads appear more compact than the MP4s, so that thicker top line just adds to their meaty appearance.

How do we get better consistency?
D - Titleist 915 D3 Tour Ad MJ 6X
3W - Titleist 915 FD Attas G7 6X
5W - Royal Collection SFD X7 Speeder 757X
#3 Miura Giken CB 1006 DGX100
4-PW Tourstage MR23 CB DGX100
52 - Tourstage X-blade (raw) DGX100
58 - Miura Special Edition (raw) DGX100
60 - Ping Eye2 XG
Ping Anser 2 (stainless) / Maxfli Tad Moore TM2

Testing - Taylormade X-300 FCI, KM Miura 54*

Classic (JDM, Ben Hogan, Maxfli/Dunlop, Bridgestone) Junky

#14885 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

View PostChristen_The_Sloop, on 12 October 2017 - 07:38 AM, said:

Figure out what's wrong with my swing! It doesn't feel right at the moment. Don't know why. It just sort of left me. I was hitting it well back in the UK, fine at first after getting back here, then it just disappeared. As usual.

#14886 mahonie

mahonie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80712
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 1363

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 12 October 2017 - 07:55 AM, said:

View PostChristen_The_Sloop, on 12 October 2017 - 07:38 AM, said:

Figure out what's wrong with my swing! It doesn't feel right at the moment. Don't know why. It just sort of left me. I was hitting it well back in the UK, fine at first after getting back here, then it just disappeared. As usual.

I’ve just read John Jacobs ‘Golf Doctor’ which is very old-fashioned in it’s teaching compared to anything since Leadbetter in the early 1990s if I’m honest. However, the sheer simplicity of it just resonates with me (read into that what you will!). My pitching game has been poor for a long time, but a simple thought to move the ball slightly back and move your hands slightly forward to encourage a downward strike that compresses the ball properly is all it has took for my ball-striking to improve no end. Confidence with pitching has worked its way into my longer irons and obviously, as required by the golfing gods, my driving and putting, which has been great all year, has suddenly deserted me!!
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
MD Golf Superstrong 3-wood UST Proforce 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Mizuno MP4 4-PW DG S300
Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Odyssey ProType #2
Srixon Z-Star

#14887 Bigmean

Bigmean

Everything is Relative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 344303
  • Handicap:JDM
GolfWRX Likes : 5190

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:47 PM

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 06 October 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

View Postmahonie, on 05 October 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 05 October 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

View Postkaaayelll, on 05 October 2017 - 07:49 AM, said:

Regarding shafts, folks need to give more attention to Shimada. They have many different profiles, of course, but their consistency is just excellent.  BTW, I have an extra set of K's Tour 115 R that I weighed for fun - every one was on the number, and that's without having to pay 2-3x more for weight sorting.

Do the Shimada's play stiff to flex? I know that's a poor question and hard to answer, but the Tour Mid S (115g) I tried in a set of Romaro's (I didn't buy them) felt pretty stable for a shaft that was lighter than what I was playing at the time (DG X100).

A fitter I know once said to me that Shimadas are to Nippon as Miura is to Mizuno...I’ve never been able to test out the analogy

Interesting analogy. Makes me want to put Shimadas in my Mizunos. It might be like dividing by zero.

I found shimadas to be more like if DG and Nippon had a baby.  I did have a higher flight in them with the Vegas vm02 failed experiment, so not sure if it was shafts or weirdish head.  I am sure that doesn't help any, but I do prefer Nippon fwiw, and that is no knock on shimadas, just my taste.

I have stepped away from the course a bit.  I have to play this weekend since 2 weeks off and see. That helped, but I have to be honest, I need to reassess what I want from golf because 2 weeks ago I was ready to quit the game.played back to back rounds over the course of a week with some guys I play skins with, both better than me but skins I can hang with since I think I birdie more holes would think for my scores, just blow up to even it out.  Anyway, I don't know what I shot, but I am talking 90 range both times.  My driving ailments have made the game unbearable to even want to play.  I am out of 50% of holes with the first swing, and another 30% I need to pull off some sh$t to just have a birdie putt.  I bet I averaged 8 penalty shots from wayward drives and even tried the 3 wood which worked until it was my driver then it became like my driver if that makes sense.....the rest of my game has been crap, iron accuracy crap, chipping and putting ok, but I am so out of rhythm and Fs to give by the time those are in my hand it is hard to concentrate or care enough.

I just don't know what happened.  Come back into from back surgery, steadily got game back, surpassed where I was when I had surgery, everything moving along, last summer early I was looking at aiming to be a 5cap, playing to solid 7.  End of last summer driver started to go and has evolved into the dumpster fire it currently is and all aspects of game are just terrible because of it.  I seriously don't even want to play, I can't get excited to go out there and loose drives.  I have had plenty of bad rounds, but the toll of my tee game for last year reached a boiling point and I would rather do ANYTHING than go subject myself to a round.  In short, first time in my life, golf is not fun, not an escape, not a hey some good shots and bad or a bad spell, but it feels more  like a loathsome penance for sins I have committed.

I think I am going to scrap every bit of everything I worked on in lessons, all of it.  And maybe I have not played in long enough to go and just hit the ball like a kid.  I know that isn't the right answer either, but I need a round of 81 that more importantly doesn't feel like a battle, maybe I can dig that out with thoughtless grip and rip.  I have zero confidence, and I need to own that instead of psych myself through it because that ain't working.  I need to find a way to have fun again.  I think as my membership ends this month, as I get settled into the new house, I will set up the gc2 in the garage, just a net and the tv it came with, and maybe just try to hit drives like a workout routine all winter.  The gc2 if anything should be good enough for that.  Try to find a way to want to hit drives.  This has turned into a full fledged phobia, the 3 wood on the tee proved it.  Me on a tee box has so much hidden anxiety that my swing flaws I probably used to save or manage with and sub conscience manipulations have manifested into manipulations that I am convinced create the reality of my deepest fears.  I know this sounds crazy and over dramatic, but I seriously have driver yips, and the ball goes too far/too offline and so devastating that I literally can't play the game.

Anyway, I am not a quitter, but this is a clinical state of golf depression that has ripped my ability to just go play and have fun.  not even about score, i don't care what I shoot, it feels like i don't know how to play.
Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
            Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
            Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.

#14888 kaaayelll

kaaayelll

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207201
GolfWRX Likes : 244

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:06 PM

I know how the game can devolve, and it is depressing.  To me, the greatest benefit of the GC2 has been to simply try stuff out.  Truthfully, I haven't used it that much, but it's been great to mess around with swing keys, planes, etc with no consequence. Set it up and I bet you'll find yourself back on track in no time.

Edited by kaaayelll, 13 October 2017 - 06:34 AM.

#14889 Christen_The_Sloop

Christen_The_Sloop

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 384674
GolfWRX Likes : 709

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

View PostBigmean, on 12 October 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 06 October 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

View Postmahonie, on 05 October 2017 - 12:27 PM, said:

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 05 October 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

View Postkaaayelll, on 05 October 2017 - 07:49 AM, said:

Regarding shafts, folks need to give more attention to Shimada. They have many different profiles, of course, but their consistency is just excellent.  BTW, I have an extra set of K's Tour 115 R that I weighed for fun - every one was on the number, and that's without having to pay 2-3x more for weight sorting.

Do the Shimada's play stiff to flex? I know that's a poor question and hard to answer, but the Tour Mid S (115g) I tried in a set of Romaro's (I didn't buy them) felt pretty stable for a shaft that was lighter than what I was playing at the time (DG X100).

A fitter I know once said to me that Shimadas are to Nippon as Miura is to Mizuno...I’ve never been able to test out the analogy

Interesting analogy. Makes me want to put Shimadas in my Mizunos. It might be like dividing by zero.

I found shimadas to be more like if DG and Nippon had a baby.  I did have a higher flight in them with the Vegas vm02 failed experiment, so not sure if it was shafts or weirdish head.  I am sure that doesn't help any, but I do prefer Nippon fwiw, and that is no knock on shimadas, just my taste.

I have stepped away from the course a bit.  I have to play this weekend since 2 weeks off and see. That helped, but I have to be honest, I need to reassess what I want from golf because 2 weeks ago I was ready to quit the game.played back to back rounds over the course of a week with some guys I play skins with, both better than me but skins I can hang with since I think I birdie more holes would think for my scores, just blow up to even it out.  Anyway, I don't know what I shot, but I am talking 90 range both times.  My driving ailments have made the game unbearable to even want to play.  I am out of 50% of holes with the first swing, and another 30% I need to pull off some sh$t to just have a birdie putt.  I bet I averaged 8 penalty shots from wayward drives and even tried the 3 wood which worked until it was my driver then it became like my driver if that makes sense.....the rest of my game has been crap, iron accuracy crap, chipping and putting ok, but I am so out of rhythm and Fs to give by the time those are in my hand it is hard to concentrate or care enough.

I just don't know what happened.  Come back into from back surgery, steadily got game back, surpassed where I was when I had surgery, everything moving along, last summer early I was looking at aiming to be a 5cap, playing to solid 7.  End of last summer driver started to go and has evolved into the dumpster fire it currently is and all aspects of game are just terrible because of it.  I seriously don't even want to play, I can't get excited to go out there and loose drives.  I have had plenty of bad rounds, but the toll of my tee game for last year reached a boiling point and I would rather do ANYTHING than go subject myself to a round.  In short, first time in my life, golf is not fun, not an escape, not a hey some good shots and bad or a bad spell, but it feels more  like a loathsome penance for sins I have committed.

I think I am going to scrap every bit of everything I worked on in lessons, all of it.  And maybe I have not played in long enough to go and just hit the ball like a kid.  I know that isn't the right answer either, but I need a round of 81 that more importantly doesn't feel like a battle, maybe I can dig that out with thoughtless grip and rip.  I have zero confidence, and I need to own that instead of psych myself through it because that ain't working.  I need to find a way to have fun again.  I think as my membership ends this month, as I get settled into the new house, I will set up the gc2 in the garage, just a net and the tv it came with, and maybe just try to hit drives like a workout routine all winter.  The gc2 if anything should be good enough for that.  Try to find a way to want to hit drives.  This has turned into a full fledged phobia, the 3 wood on the tee proved it.  Me on a tee box has so much hidden anxiety that my swing flaws I probably used to save or manage with and sub conscience manipulations have manifested into manipulations that I am convinced create the reality of my deepest fears.  I know this sounds crazy and over dramatic, but I seriously have driver yips, and the ball goes too far/too offline and so devastating that I literally can't play the game.

Anyway, I am not a quitter, but this is a clinical state of golf depression that has ripped my ability to just go play and have fun.  not even about score, i don't care what I shoot, it feels like i don't know how to play.

If you think you have the yips, you do. You need a distraction. One thing I used pretty well is to block out the course on the tee box. Just aim and hit it. I don't know how many balls you've hit. But, I am assuming you could comfortably step right up and hit the ball and it will go reasonably. So, don't spend any more time than you have to when it's your turn. Just relax yourself and pound it. Be decisive

We all have idiosyncrasies, for example the first hole at the course I grew up playing starts out of a narrow shoot and there's OB down the right side all the way. Anything right is gone. Left slightly is jail, just trees and low branches and generally wet, thick grass. I can't hit driver.I can't hit any wood. I've tried to hit driver, but I can't block it out. So, I go with 3 iron and still make my share of birdies, but I take away big numbers. I start the round with a decisive swing and it sets s good tone. I don't know how many rounds this year I've started with birdie. It's crazy. Don't ask about the next 17.

So, you can try to block things out, but you also must have a reasonable stock shot you can hit 220-250. That's one reason my game has suffered lately. I don't have that consistently and, as a result, I pull driver more and more and more and I find myself in trouble far too much. I've started going to the range and I hit long irons over and over. I hit some terribly, but I am determined to ingrain some consistency to get it back and I am focusing more on hitting my 5-wood. I can't go to the course and try to pull off shots where I am not confident. I've played a lot of my best golf when I've relegated driver to utility status. It's a special club used only when needed.

Long story short, be decisive, find something you can keep in play consistently and play your own game.
D - Titleist 915 D3 Tour Ad MJ 6X
3W - Titleist 915 FD Attas G7 6X
5W - Royal Collection SFD X7 Speeder 757X
#3 Miura Giken CB 1006 DGX100
4-PW Tourstage MR23 CB DGX100
52 - Tourstage X-blade (raw) DGX100
58 - Miura Special Edition (raw) DGX100
60 - Ping Eye2 XG
Ping Anser 2 (stainless) / Maxfli Tad Moore TM2

Testing - Taylormade X-300 FCI, KM Miura 54*

Classic (JDM, Ben Hogan, Maxfli/Dunlop, Bridgestone) Junky

#14890 Nard_S

Nard_S

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335269
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 1213

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

Swing changes take 1000's of reps, anyone is 70% solution at best and effects several things that need tweaking and reps too. So you can be hitting better than ever in practice and worst than ever on course. Driver and wedge are the clubs that are most revealing of where things are at. For me, it's taken up 2 long seasons of Jekyll & Hyde rounds but the on course comfort is back and I am playing to cap again but big "go lower" part has not kicked in. At this point there's no doubt it will, range work is way too good.

Took forever for me to realize but the biggest casualty of swing adjustments is maintaining excellent rhythm and balance. Swing adjustments do not affect those as much on range because of the inherent frequency. On the course, it is compounding to wait 5 minutes for redemption so 1st thing that is lost is that. From there it goes down hill and all fun is gone. When I doubled down on rhythm and balance and swung with poised aggression, things look up and I can play whatever I brought that day.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#14891 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:15 AM

View PostChristen_The_Sloop, on 12 October 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

So, you can try to block things out, but you also must have a reasonable stock shot you can hit 220-250.

Long story short, be decisive, find something you can keep in play consistently and play your own game.

This is so true. On the courses we (and I mean most amateurs) play, and from the tees we play, putting the ball 230 yards and in play will greatly help. Much better than 270+ and in the woods.

#14892 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:23 AM

Bigmean
I hope things get better for you. As you may remember, I struggled with a snap hook for a good while last year. When I started to get it under control, I actually found I was able to score reasonably well. I was still hitting big draws, like 20~30 yard draws, but I was able to keep them on the fairway or light rough and have a second shot to the green. OK, I was rarely hitting from the right side of the fairway, but it was still better than OB.
I was getting as much distance either, but I was just happy to be in play.

Not entirely sure where I am going with this, but if you can get your driving down to a one way miss, you can get around a golf course, even if it's a pretty severe one way miss.

#14893 Bigmean

Bigmean

Everything is Relative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 344303
  • Handicap:JDM
GolfWRX Likes : 5190

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:58 AM

Thanks guys, I just, I dunno, I need time away.  ALL your suggestions are right.  Rythem, be decisive, and on the range I am like 60% with drives and lose what feels like less in an hour than in 14 on course attempts.  It is yips for sure.  I have even faultered taking 5 iron off the tee.  It is tee box and in play.  What has broken me is for longest time I had the best attitude and confidence that after 5 bad drives this one is getting piped where I see it.....I truly stayed with it mentally through so much bad, which is why I think yips and sub conscience really steering the ship during swing once it starts.

Anyway, good enough reason to use the gc2.  I am going to try to find a way to hit a cut that just goes in play.  Also, I went from struggling hooks last summer to huge big pushes right.  I have all but lose hooks, and gone to a right of right miss.  Just not coming through it, scared to swing through, scared of where it is going.
Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
            Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
            Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.

#14894 turtsoup

turtsoup

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 444482
  • Handicap:1.4
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

Ive alway read and heard how awesome things things are and just thought, "oh yeah, no way i could hit those" and just brushed them off.  After getting them in hand, WOW!!  The look, feel, obvious craftsmanship is evident and oozing class.  I'm excited, scared and apprehensive about hitting them at the range this evening.  Wish me luck lol

Thank you kaayelll!!

Attached Thumbnails

• F6B29F9A-7563-4A79-8FCF-B28D9907CDFD.jpeg

Edited by turtsoup, 13 October 2017 - 12:02 PM.

Revolving WITB

Driver........Callaway Epic w/ Tour Spec Fuji Atmos Red
3 wood......Callaway Epic 15 w/ rogue max 75s (stock)
5 wood?.............F6 Baffler set to 19
Irons..........3-pw Miura Baby Blades
Wedges.....Callaway MD3 54/60
Putter.........Toulon Indianapolis, 34in

#14895 Nard_S

Nard_S

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

View PostBigmean, on 13 October 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

Thanks guys, I just, I dunno, I need time away.  ALL your suggestions are right.  Rythem, be decisive, and on the range I am like 60% with drives and lose what feels like less in an hour than in 14 on course attempts.  It is yips for sure.  I have even faultered taking 5 iron off the tee.  It is tee box and in play.  What has broken me is for longest time I had the best attitude and confidence that after 5 bad drives this one is getting piped where I see it.....I truly stayed with it mentally through so much bad, which is why I think yips and sub conscience really steering the ship during swing once it starts.

Anyway, good enough reason to use the gc2.  I am going to try to find a way to hit a cut that just goes in play.  Also, I went from struggling hooks last summer to huge big pushes right.  I have all but lose hooks, and gone to a right of right miss.  Just not coming through it, scared to swing through, scared of where it is going.

If any consolation, that kind of miss is expected when losing the hook.It's my big miss now too. Very much a situation where hands get too far behind torso. Trying to keep triangle of arms/hands/torso together, aka "connected"  takes some doing to sort out. Used to think hitting positions ended at transition, it does not, it really just starts. Takes some new navigation and lots of reps to get it right. Be patient. Good luck..

#14896 turtsoup

turtsoup

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:25 PM

I've had the exact same issue that you're talking about.  Swinging too far in to out, flipping the clubface and hooking it.  Then when you stop flipping but still swinging in to out it turns into a big push or push cut thats so far right you didnt know you could hit it that far right.  Biggest thing for me is to make sure i'm clearing my left side and finishing low left.  You'll get there brother.  Speaking from going through this exact thing this summer.  Absolutely stripe three wood, get driver in hand and feel like a different person. I still struggle with driver but not as bad
Revolving WITB

#14897 kaaayelll

kaaayelll

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207201
GolfWRX Likes : 244

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:43 PM

Gotta love all the support around here.

tourtsoup, looking good!  Hit 'em great! :)

#14898 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
GolfWRX Likes : 1923

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

BigMean ... I feel your pain. How many times have I wanted to quit this &@!#] game?

You always write with such openness and I always enjoy reading it - there's a real guy behind the words.

All I can say is, it's hard to quit. Golf is frustrating. I shot s sweet little 84 today with thoughts of 75. Thank god for epithets and cussing.

For me, I have one central goal. On every shot to be utterly focused and 'present' and not just get wrapped up in all the emotion of the game. I generally get a D grade ... today it was maybe F+.
Callaway Epic 10.5 Stock
Cobra Baffler 4-5 Stock
Callway xhot 3 h stock
Miura Small Blades, Modus 105R 3-W
Titleist T-MB, Modus 105S, 3-W
Fourteen mt28v3 52,58
DelaCruz B2 Sweet Slot Putter

#14899 NRJyzr

NRJyzr

new pup Sťamus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,795 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72626
  • Ebay ID:n.r.jyzr
GolfWRX Likes : 4147

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:39 AM

When it comes to driver...

In addition to lessons, don't underestimate the importance of being fitted for the club.  Not just the obvious flex and loft, but club length and even weight need to be looked at.

I've mentioned before that I had a fitting session in which I swung a heavier and shorter driver slightly faster than my then regular driver.  In spite of the better speed at 43.5", the clubmaker noted I also had more leftward tendencies at that length.  Going to 44" removed enough of that such that the clubmaker felt it was more playable.

Point being, Biggie, you may need to go shorter.  Or longer.  Maybe heavier.  Maybe lighter.  Ultimately, get fit by a quality guy or gal.  It could be the difference.
The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver:  King LTD, HZRDUS 75 6.5 at 44½" --or-- R9 SuperDeep, Motore F1 85 X at 43½"

3w:  Stage 2 Tour 14.5°, BiMatrix X at 42½"

3h Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S and 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
--or--
2-PW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5

SW:  Ram TG-898 56°, NV105 S  --or--  Golden Ram TW282 56°, Precision 6.5
LW:  Maltby Design 60°, NV105 S  --or--  Maltby Design 60°, DGS300 tipped 1"
Putter:  Tad Moore Pro 1 P  --or--  some form of 8802-ish blade  --or--  Ping Anser  --or-- Mizuno TPM-2
Balls:  in no particular order...  Wilson Staff FG Tour or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Vice Pro Neon
Shoes by New Balance
Pure Pro grips, various colors

#14900 NRJyzr

NRJyzr

new pup Sťamus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,795 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:29 AM

Added thought on driver front...

I personally think sub-70 gram shafts are a disservice to the golf public.  The idea that a 75g shaft is somehow "heavy" when we customarily swing 110g to 130g shafts in our irons and wedges is bordering on ludicrous.

I realize I'm biased, and probably in the minority.  I just think more folks would benefit from 80g and up alternatives than the industry would have us believe.

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver:  King LTD, HZRDUS 75 6.5 at 44½" --or-- R9 SuperDeep, Motore F1 85 X at 43½"

--or--

Putter:  Tad Moore Pro 1 P  --or--  some form of 8802-ish blade  --or--  Ping Anser  --or-- Mizuno TPM-2
Balls:  in no particular order...  Wilson Staff FG Tour or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Vice Pro Neon
Shoes by New Balance

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#14901 NRJyzr

NRJyzr

new pup Sťamus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,795 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

Now on another front...

Took my FX Nickel Rams out for my round yesterday.  They have a 47* PW so I took my TW282 PW at 51* along as a GW.  I'm finding the nickels to feel somewhat less good than my other Rams.

I'm also finding the DGS flex zipcode is probably where I belong these days.  And, while I can play the heavier iron shafts, the lighter ones don't give me fits as they once did.

Not sure how much of that could be due to having played ZZLites in Pings for a season and a half, how much is due to my having been playing NV graphites these last several months, and how much is because I'm 54 yrs old.  LOL

Toying with reshafting another set with graphites.

Overall the nickels performed decently, but found myself leaving shots out right a bit.  Attributed that to weight adjustment.  Or a scrappy swing, LOL.
The Ever Changing Bag!

--or--

Shoes by New Balance

#14902 turtsoup

turtsoup

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:11 AM

75 today first round with the baby blades. #17 is 210 uphill and made a double. Pulled 3 iron and blew it right in a bunker. Overall not too bad. I really hit those fairly well. Most of everything I hit was right online, just short. Just like I couldn’t catch them quite solid. So shooting +3 with a very late stupid double wasn’t too bad for the first time out. The look at address is great and I don’t really think they’re that intimidating. The best part is they’re so workable. Hopefully I’ll improve with them as I go.
Revolving WITB

#14903 PeanutsDaddy

PeanutsDaddy

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133046
GolfWRX Likes : 21256

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:23 AM

Took my Mac Miurfields for their first outing this morning.   Absolutely loved the feel and flight.   I need to get the specs checked and bent as they were easily a club short and obviously upright, but a fabulous maiden voyage.  I built them with XP 95 shafts and they seem to be a good fit.

Edited by PeanutsDaddy, 14 October 2017 - 11:23 AM.

Cobra King F7 9*
Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)
Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)
Wishon 775hs 3 - 5
Wishon 560 - 6 - 7
Wishon 575mmc 8 - PW
Mac Custom Grind GW + LW (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

#14904 PeanutsDaddy

PeanutsDaddy

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133046
GolfWRX Likes : 21256

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

Biggie,

At one point years ago I had ditched driver in favour of a strong 3 wood as I was all over the map with the 'big stick'.   I was convinced I'd never be able to put a driver in play successfully.  Lessons, lots of reps, a shorter build and heavier shaft (as NRJ suggested) allowed me to turn a corner.  Years of work but now the driver is just another tool to be used.   Some days she is hot and other days she's not, but the same can be said with other clubs in the bag.  

Two years ago I was infected with the shanks. Never thought I'd deal with the issue.   Lessons, lots of reps, tinkering with equipment, and I'm out the other side of the dark tunnel.   This season I hit one shank in the spring and haven't sniffed the hosel since.  

It's a journey and I'm not a quitter.   I get the sense that you are of a similar mindset.   Take a break, pursue other passions, and come back with a purpose.
Cobra King F7 9*
Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)
Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)
Wishon 775hs 3 - 5
Wishon 560 - 6 - 7
Wishon 575mmc 8 - PW
Mac Custom Grind GW + LW (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

#14905 Nard_S

Nard_S

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

View PostNRJyzr, on 14 October 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

Now on another front...

Took my FX Nickel Rams out for my round yesterday.  They have a 47* PW so I took my TW282 PW at 51* along as a GW.  I'm finding the nickels to feel somewhat less good than my other Rams.

I'm also finding the DGS flex zipcode is probably where I belong these days.  And, while I can play the heavier iron shafts, the lighter ones don't give me fits as they once did.

Not sure how much of that could be due to having played ZZLites in Pings for a season and a half, how much is due to my having been playing NV graphites these last several months, and how much is because I'm 54 yrs old.  LOL

Toying with reshafting another set with graphites.

Overall the nickels performed decently, but found myself leaving shots out right a bit.  Attributed that to weight adjustment.  Or a scrappy swing, LOL.

Curious, are you swinging .370" parallel or .335" tapered?

#14906 NRJyzr

NRJyzr

new pup Sťamus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,795 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:30 PM

View PostNard_S, on 14 October 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

In the Ram FX, they're .370.  Everything in my other sets of Rams, Mizunos, MacGregors are .355.  DG or otherwise.

Also have a set of Wood Bros blades, they have 370 DGS, tipped a bit.
The Ever Changing Bag!

--or--

Shoes by New Balance

#14907 Rpete33

Rpete33

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476032
  • Handicap:18
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:10 PM

I have an itch and I want to scratch it so badly but I'm but I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger. I love the look of blades, played the cobra fly z pro for about half a summer until I switched to the Nike vapor pro combos. I've been playing for 2 years and currently shoot low 80s, do I pull the trigger on a new pair of callaway apex mbs? I do love clubs that give me feedback on all striking and what not, I just feel like I'm reaching a bit with going to blades for good but damn they are sexy

#14908 Hit em good

Hit em good

LTC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147143
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 437

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

Hey Bigmean,

I just went back to my MP4's in 8 - pw.  MP54's after that.  I'd like to get back on the blade team if you will allow, even though it is a combo set.  Let me know!  

Hit em good
Driver:  '07 Burner TP
3 wood:  Ping G15
5 wood:  Ping G15
3 hybrid:  PIng G25
4i:  Mizuno MP fli hi
5i - 7i:  Mizuno MP54
8i - pw:  Mizuno MP4
Wedges:  Vokey SM4  54.08 / 58.06
Putter:  Odyssey 2 ball

Titleist Pro v1x

#14909 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

View PostNRJyzr, on 14 October 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

View PostNard_S, on 14 October 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

In the Ram FX, they're .370.  Everything in my other sets of Rams, Mizunos, MacGregors are .355.  DG or otherwise.

Also have a set of Wood Bros blades, they have 370 DGS, tipped a bit.

Wood Bros blades?
You can't drop a comment like that in this thread without leaving pictures :clapping:

#14910 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

View PostRpete33, on 14 October 2017 - 05:10 PM, said:

I have an itch and I want to scratch it so badly but I'm but I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger. I love the look of blades, played the cobra fly z pro for about half a summer until I switched to the Nike vapor pro combos. I've been playing for 2 years and currently shoot low 80s, do I pull the trigger on a new pair of callaway apex mbs? I do love clubs that give me feedback on all striking and what not, I just feel like I'm reaching a bit with going to blades for good but damn they are sexy

Which are the Apex Mbs, by the way? Are they the ones like the old Cally Prototype blades, or the that more traditional looking blade that Rory tried before going to TM?

View PostHit em good, on 14 October 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

Hey Bigmean,

I just went back to my MP4's in 8 - pw.  MP54's after that.  I'd like to get back on the blade team if you will allow, even though it is a combo set.  Let me know!  

Hit em good

Do you have any gapping problems between the 7i and 8i? Some people on GolfWRX have said that they found the MP54 to be short. I had an MP-54 4i that I sometimes played instead of my MP4 4i, but I didn't really find it to be short.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors