Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Favorite grips for the "undersize" players?


40 replies to this topic

#1 LittlePoison1980

LittlePoison1980

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285508
  • Joined: 11/24/2013
  • Location:Near Boston, MA
GolfWRX Likes : 1113

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:02 AM

It's true. I'm a smurf. I need an undersized grip and I'm not totally happy with the selection available in most stores. Lefties, now I'm starting to know your pain in terms of options.

So tell me what you other smurfs are really liking for such grips, and why? Where do you typically play, and what is the biggest issue you face with your grips, other than size?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 81PING

81PING

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 210015
  • Joined: 11/05/2012
  • Location:Ontario
  • Ebay ID:mattykracks
GolfWRX Likes : 435

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:22 AM

I'm also a smurf
..though not blue in color.

My solution.  .600 on a .600, 1 wrap of masking tape.  Grip stretched approx .5-.75 or an inch.

If you can play .580 shafts, you have a few more options

Wishon 919THI w/ Accra Tour Z
w/ Accra Dymatch 2.0
Wishon 775HS w/ AXE Tour Black
979ss Irons
PING i20 GW + PING Glide SW + SCOR 61*
PING Senita - 30"

2

#3 MrTmag

MrTmag

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216431
  • Joined: 12/17/2012
  • Location:NC
GolfWRX Likes : 384

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:23 AM

add me to the smurf list as well
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

3

#4 jdmorris1980

jdmorris1980

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119767
  • Joined: 01/03/2011
  • Ebay ID:jdmorris1980
GolfWRX Likes : 363

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:41 AM

Stretch whatever grip you like.

4

#5 Zpilot

Zpilot

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 343557
  • Joined: 10/07/2014
  • Location:United States
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 31 December 2014 - 03:07 AM

I have small hands, about the size of most women.  Using standard size grips somewhat inhibits my hand action so I've just gotten used to using an unusually strong grip over the years.  I also don't wear a glove which effectively makes my grips smaller under the upper hand.  I have mainly used standard sized TP 2G grips which, to me, feel like they are smaller than most.  Especially the lower portion because of the taper.  I have recently changed to CP2 grips because they are easier on my aging hands but they are larger than the 2G's.  I may have to go back to something smaller.  We'll see.  I sure do like the way they feel.  Your post has gotten me thinking about trying undersized Ping grips.  I play mostly Ping clubs but they were purchased used and they came with other brands of grips.  I believe that they can be as much as 1/6" under.  There are a ton of players using those grips on Ping (and other) clubs so there has to be a good reason.

Ping G25 10.5 driver
Ping Anser 4 wood, Cobra Baff XL 7 wood
Wishon 775 4 hybrid,  Ping G15 5-UW
Callaway X series Jaws 54 & 58 deg
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1

5

#6 bazinky

bazinky

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33287
  • Joined: 06/29/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 538

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:00 AM

I'm also in the smurf hand list (men's cadet small glove size). Combine that with my short arms, and I'm basically built like a T-rex.

My favorite undersized grip was the Lamkin 3-gen Performance Plus. Unfortunately, it's now discontinued. The REL 3-Gens also come in undersize and I may try those when I regrip this spring. I really wish that the UTX line was offered in undersize, as I'm generally partial to Lamkins.

I am VERY particular about my grips. Not only are my hands small, but they sweat a lot. If a grip gets at all slick, that combination makes for a real challenge.
Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
Ping i20 5-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
Titleist Studio Select Newport 2 - 33"

6

#7 hobbygolfer

hobbygolfer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18826
  • Joined: 09/03/2006
  • Location:Germany
  • Ebay ID:strand110
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:57 AM

Same here - cadet S gloves, if I use gloves.

I prefer Lamkin ACE Wrap right now, since I can easily stretch them 0.5 Inch to have them play a bit thinner. I might try Tour Wrap undersize next time or REL ACE undersize, when regripping in spring.

Regards,
Michael

7

#8 81PING

81PING

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 210015
  • Joined: 11/05/2012
  • Location:Ontario
  • Ebay ID:mattykracks
GolfWRX Likes : 435

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:31 AM

View Posthobbygolfer, on 31 December 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

Same here - cadet S gloves, if I use gloves.

I prefer Lamkin ACE Wrap right now, since I can easily stretch them 0.5 Inch to have them play a bit thinner. I might try Tour Wrap undersize next time or REL ACE undersize, when regripping in spring.

Regards,
Michael

Make sure the undersize grip core matches the shaft butt diameter, or else you are playing a grip over standard.
Wishon 919THI w/ Accra Tour Z
w/ Accra Dymatch 2.0
Wishon 775HS w/ AXE Tour Black
979ss Irons
PING i20 GW + PING Glide SW + SCOR 61*
PING Senita - 30"

8

#9 LittlePoison1980

LittlePoison1980

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285508
  • Joined: 11/24/2013
  • Location:Near Boston, MA
GolfWRX Likes : 1113

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:40 AM

View Post81PING, on 31 December 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

View Posthobbygolfer, on 31 December 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

Same here - cadet S gloves, if I use gloves.

I prefer Lamkin ACE Wrap right now, since I can easily stretch them 0.5 Inch to have them play a bit thinner. I might try Tour Wrap undersize next time or REL ACE undersize, when regripping in spring.

Regards,
Michael

Make sure the undersize grip core matches the shaft butt diameter, or else you are playing a grip over standard.

That's another thing I have to be careful about in selecting a grip... it certainly makes a big difference!

Have any of you guys tried anything from Iomic or another manufacturer?

9

#10 hobbygolfer

hobbygolfer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18826
  • Joined: 09/03/2006
  • Location:Germany
  • Ebay ID:strand110
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 31 December 2014 - 12:20 PM

Hi 81Ping

thanks for the heads up. I know, my screenname doesn't indicate that, but I build custom fit clubs with high end components since 13 years and work for a distributor for grips, shafts and supplies in Germany. Anyway - most undersize grips come in a 0.56 or 0.58 inner diameter and I already had a set, where I used 0.58 undersize TV and compared to 0.58 standard size TV. Undersize is smaller, since outside diameter is smaller. So going with Lamkin undersize or Tour Wrap undersize in 0.58 should ge me to the size I'm looking for.

Regards
Michael


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Twohey

Twohey

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55612
  • Joined: 05/12/2008
  • Location:SoCal
  • Ebay ID:twohey16
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

If you don't want to stretch your grips,  check out the Iomic Sticky 1.8.

11

#12 Manz60

Manz60

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54828
  • Joined: 05/01/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 132

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:48 PM

mens std sized grips can be stretched or you can try a "womens" sized grip as well (size is really generic anyway). A good clubfitter will present grip sizes from multiple sizes smaller than mens std to multiple sizes larger than mens  std plus larger lower hand diameters...all installed on cut butt ends and confirmed when the test club is built.

Just make sure the size/tackiness is comfortable and allows min grip pressure while still maintaining a secure hold on the club.

M60

12

#13 ronsc1985

ronsc1985

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102136
  • Joined: 01/16/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:26 AM

Iomic Black Armor Series 1.8
Diameter M60 Outer Diameter 21.8mm (5cm from grip end) Weight 48±2g Torque 2.7

Golfpride VDR undersize

Both these grips come out undersize without stretching the grip.

Edited by ronsc1985, 04 January 2015 - 01:31 PM.


13

#14 Cwebb

Cwebb

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
  • Joined: 11/04/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 1083

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:22 PM

Lamkin REL ACE, in black color with white cap

Lamkin Crossline

Ping ID8, standard ribbed or "360" round

Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G

Golf Pride Tour Velvet

14

#15 chiva

chiva

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176280
  • Joined: 04/20/2012
  • Location:Arizona
GolfWRX Likes : 410

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

Pure grips pro model blown on with compressed air and NO tape.

OB and water hazards you flunkies

15

#16 collje26

collje26

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 346271
  • Joined: 10/26/2014
  • Handicap:zero
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:02 PM

Iomic sticky 1.8, awesome grips as well as being easier for smaller handed players like you and i (cadet medium)
Ping G LS Tec 9 Diamana S+ 70tx
Ping G 14.5 Diamana S+ 80tx
Ping G 17.5 Diamana S+ 80tx
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 VS Proto 95x
Titleist 716 MB 4-P DG Tour issue s400
Vokey SM6 52F Tour issue s400 black onyx
Vokey SM6 58V Tour issue s400 black onyx
Ping Arna 34' UST frequency shaft

16

#17 collje26

collje26

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 346271
  • Joined: 10/26/2014
  • Handicap:zero
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

Golf Pride Z-Grip is another one.
Ping G LS Tec 9 Diamana S+ 70tx
Ping G 14.5 Diamana S+ 80tx
Ping G 17.5 Diamana S+ 80tx
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 VS Proto 95x
Titleist 716 MB 4-P DG Tour issue s400
Vokey SM6 52F Tour issue s400 black onyx
Vokey SM6 58V Tour issue s400 black onyx
Ping Arna 34' UST frequency shaft

17

#18 mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1

    Mister

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27354
  • Joined: 04/02/2007
  • Location:Southern California
  • Ebay ID:N/A
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:10 PM

When I could find them, I used to use Tour Velvet 620 round, on a 600 shaft core for my woods.

On my irons, I use Tour Velvet 600 round, on a 580 shaft core.

Edited by mistercoffee1, 04 January 2015 - 04:11 PM.


18

#19 Smokey227

Smokey227

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77521
  • Joined: 03/16/2009
  • Location:Huntsville, Al
  • Ebay ID:lillam01
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

I agree with the sticky 1.8.  Definitely an undersize grip.  The golf pride multicompound is another good one that can be stretched a little to make even smaller.

I have learned that you can stretch most grips out, but make sure you get the right core and look for grips with smaller end caps.  That way once they are stretched a little there isn't a huge taper.
Taylormade M2 10.5* Fubuki K 60
Taylormade M2 16.5* Diamana 'Ilima 70
Ping G 20.5* Diamana Blueboard 83
Ping I200 4-U Nippon Modus 105
Ping Gilde 2.0 56WS & 60ES Modus 115
Bettinardi Signature Model 7/
Toulon Memphis

19

#20 snook...

snook...

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104035
  • Joined: 02/27/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:08 PM

Ping Aqua
Golf pride tour wrap 4g
Iomic 1.8


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 LittlePoison1980

LittlePoison1980

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285508
  • Joined: 11/24/2013
  • Location:Near Boston, MA
GolfWRX Likes : 1113

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:46 PM

View Postcollje26, on 04 January 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

Golf Pride Z-Grip is another one.

Does the Z cord also come in undersize? I know they're on opposite sides of the firmness spectrum, but I'm interested in trying to compare the Iomic 1.8 versus that grip, IF it comes in a corded size small enough...

thank you to you guys who recommended the 1.8s!

21

#22 collje26

collje26

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 346271
  • Joined: 10/26/2014
  • Handicap:zero
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:58 AM

View PostLittlePoison1980, on 04 January 2015 - 10:46 PM, said:

View Postcollje26, on 04 January 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

Golf Pride Z-Grip is another one.

Does the Z cord also come in undersize? I know they're on opposite sides of the firmness spectrum, but I'm interested in trying to compare the Iomic 1.8 versus that grip, IF it comes in a corded size small enough...

thank you to you guys who recommended the 1.8s!

No they do not, z-grips are .600 round no other versions minus the midsize but i personally can attest that they play slimmer than that using just 1 layer of tape and i use wraps instead of layers. I'm tried the iomic 1.8, tour velvet .58 rib, z-grip, multi compound and the z-grip was my favorite however i prefer the ribbed grips so i went back to the tour velvets, throw a z-grip on your driver and let me know what you think, the performance of the grip is amazing as well as the durability.
Ping G LS Tec 9 Diamana S+ 70tx
Ping G 14.5 Diamana S+ 80tx
Ping G 17.5 Diamana S+ 80tx
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 VS Proto 95x
Titleist 716 MB 4-P DG Tour issue s400
Vokey SM6 52F Tour issue s400 black onyx
Vokey SM6 58V Tour issue s400 black onyx
Ping Arna 34' UST frequency shaft

22

#23 sirparalot

sirparalot

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122974
  • Joined: 02/24/2011
  • Location:Central Florida
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:55 AM

Ping Aqua's all around for me.

23

#24 LittlePoison1980

LittlePoison1980

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285508
  • Joined: 11/24/2013
  • Location:Near Boston, MA
GolfWRX Likes : 1113

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:04 PM

View Postcollje26, on 05 January 2015 - 02:58 AM, said:

View PostLittlePoison1980, on 04 January 2015 - 10:46 PM, said:

View Postcollje26, on 04 January 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

Golf Pride Z-Grip is another one.

Does the Z cord also come in undersize? I know they're on opposite sides of the firmness spectrum, but I'm interested in trying to compare the Iomic 1.8 versus that grip, IF it comes in a corded size small enough...

thank you to you guys who recommended the 1.8s!

No they do not, z-grips are .600 round no other versions minus the midsize but i personally can attest that they play slimmer than that using just 1 layer of tape and i use wraps instead of layers. I'm tried the iomic 1.8, tour velvet .58 rib, z-grip, multi compound and the z-grip was my favorite however i prefer the ribbed grips so i went back to the tour velvets, throw a z-grip on your driver and let me know what you think, the performance of the grip is amazing as well as the durability.

I've heard awesome things about the z-grip durability... I'll have to give these a shot!

24

#25 collje26

collje26

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 346271
  • Joined: 10/26/2014
  • Handicap:zero
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

View PostLittlePoison1980, on 05 January 2015 - 10:04 PM, said:

View Postcollje26, on 05 January 2015 - 02:58 AM, said:

View PostLittlePoison1980, on 04 January 2015 - 10:46 PM, said:

View Postcollje26, on 04 January 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

Golf Pride Z-Grip is another one.

Does the Z cord also come in undersize? I know they're on opposite sides of the firmness spectrum, but I'm interested in trying to compare the Iomic 1.8 versus that grip, IF it comes in a corded size small enough...

thank you to you guys who recommended the 1.8s!

No they do not, z-grips are .600 round no other versions minus the midsize but i personally can attest that they play slimmer than that using just 1 layer of tape and i use wraps instead of layers. I'm tried the iomic 1.8, tour velvet .58 rib, z-grip, multi compound and the z-grip was my favorite however i prefer the ribbed grips so i went back to the tour velvets, throw a z-grip on your driver and let me know what you think, the performance of the grip is amazing as well as the durability.

I've heard awesome things about the z-grip durability... I'll have to give these a shot!

Sounds good! Let us know what you think of them after a couple of days!

Ping G LS Tec 9 Diamana S+ 70tx
Ping G 14.5 Diamana S+ 80tx
Ping G 17.5 Diamana S+ 80tx
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 VS Proto 95x
Titleist 716 MB 4-P DG Tour issue s400
Vokey SM6 52F Tour issue s400 black onyx
Vokey SM6 58V Tour issue s400 black onyx
Ping Arna 34' UST frequency shaft

25

#26 MrTmag

MrTmag

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216431
  • Joined: 12/17/2012
  • Location:NC
GolfWRX Likes : 384

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:06 AM

Lamkin perma wraps for me this season

Edited by MrTmag, 06 January 2015 - 12:06 AM.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

26

#27 Erock

Erock

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 262888
  • Joined: 07/09/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:44 PM

sorry to revive a bit of an old thread but I just bought an iomic 1.8 to try out and I really like the size. I was wondering if anyone could compare this to the tour velvet undersize and/or the ping aqua. The iomic size is great for me especially the seemingly minimum rate of taper to it. I do, however, prefer ribbed grips and the 1.8 aren't too easy to find with a rib.
SLDR Tour ADbb
Adams Black Superhybrid 15* Aldila Voodo
Taylormade Rescue TP 18* Rip Alpha 85
Callaway Apex Forged 4-p Kbs Tour
Ping Tour S 49* Taylormade XFT TP 52/58
   Custom Lajosi DD201

27

#28 dmcinc

dmcinc

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137716
  • Joined: 08/26/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:02 PM

bump

28

#29 mitchdoc

mitchdoc

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3545
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:38 AM

New guild pride cp2 pro now comes in undersize


29

#30 Doaner84

Doaner84

    Bunker

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23097
  • Joined: 12/26/2006
  • Location:Charleston, SC
  • Handicap:6?
GolfWRX Likes : 165

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:25 AM

View PostLittlePoison1980, on 31 December 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

View Post81PING, on 31 December 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

View Posthobbygolfer, on 31 December 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

Same here - cadet S gloves, if I use gloves.

I prefer Lamkin ACE Wrap right now, since I can easily stretch them 0.5 Inch to have them play a bit thinner. I might try Tour Wrap undersize next time or REL ACE undersize, when regripping in spring.

Regards,
Michael

Make sure the undersize grip core matches the shaft butt diameter, or else you are playing a grip over standard.

That's another thing I have to be careful about in selecting a grip... it certainly makes a big difference!

Have any of you guys tried anything from Iomic or another manufacturer?

pure grips makes a great undersize grip and can be bought on the bay for a really good price last time i checked

It only hurts once, except golf it hurts a lifetime

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors