Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 1 votes

Golf glove under right armpit drill

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 toddyboy

toddyboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28726
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:32 AM

Does anyone have a video of someone executing the drill of someone swinging while keeping a glove or other object under their right arm?

I feel right now that my arms are out of sync with my body and this will be a perfect drill to get the correct feel.  

Another question that I have about this drill is how do you get any power while keeping your right arm so connected to your body?  To create power you need a wide swingpath, and not extending both of your arms on your backswing would create a narrow swingpath.  Is that true?  I tried a few practice swings with a glove under my arm and I felt like my body was sliding quite a bit.  I don't think this is the feel that this drill is trying to achieve.

Any hints/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by toddyboy, 24 August 2007 - 07:51 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 MrMom

MrMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13856

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

First let me say that I am not a swing coach I am just another hack on the course. That Being said I will try and answer your question, just keep in mind that a profesional may be able to give you a better answer.

First let me give you an anology of a figure skater that does spining thing. When their arms are out straight they spin real slow when they bring their arms in closer to their body the rate that they spin at increases dramatically.

That out of the way according to Hank Haney there are two schools of thought regarding the golf swing hands and arm swings, and body swingers. Haney believes the swing incoporates both aspects.

IMHO (this is where I maybe wrong) The glove under the right arm pit is to give you a feeling of staying connected, and keeping the club infront of the body during the back swing. I believe it is to try and fix a flying right elbow, you want to keep the right forearm perpedicular with the ground at the top of the back swing for the ideal swing (but who has that other than Tiger/Adam Scott).

Regarding the width. I can keep a towel or glove under my right arm pit and still get plenty of width. Once I get my left arm straight and wrists cocked it is nothing more than turning my shoulders until I can not turn anymore. You will feel a tightness (for a righty) in you left latisimus and crunched abs/obliques on your right side.

Now getting back to the figure skater. One of the key elements of the body swinger is to not slide. The down swing starts with a little shift/bump to the left as you start to shift the weight from the right to your left side, but not a slide. You need to clear, and rotate the hips (ala Zack Johnson). If you stay connected and the club stays infront of the body as you rotate your body rather than sliding, by staying connected and keeping the towel/golve under the right arm pit, you should be able to increase your swing speed.

It sounds like you are a hands and arm swinger, so I went heavy with the body type swing. If you can incoporate parts of what I said into your current swing this may help.

Remember what Harvey Penick said in his lttle red book when you need asprin you only take two you do not take the whole bottle at once. My recomendation is to try the drill with half swings to start, then increase the length of the swing gradually untill you can get that feeling of being connected while at the same time controlling where the ball is going rather than getting too caught up in how the swing looks.

Hope this helps more than hurts.

Another point Jim Mclean even pointed out in his video evaluation of Hogans swing on the GC that his right arm was not always connected to his right side during the back swing, only the right arm pit. Do not over do this drill because it may cause you to bring the club back too far to the inside during the back swing.

Edited by MrMom, 24 August 2007 - 09:34 AM.

#3 jcjr34

jcjr34

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15588

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:33 PM

I've actually starting using this drill myself, except conciously keeping my arm connected to my torso. First time at the range doing this and my sides were sore the next day. A few days later on the course I tried doing this and have been hitting them consistently straight ever since doing this. At first, I noticed about a ten yard distance lost, but as my body loosened up in the next few rounds my distance beacme normal again, except w/ much greater accuracy. You don't feel like you're hitting the ball very far beacuse it feels like a 3/4 swing, but if you froze yourself at the top of the swing, you'd notice that you've actually brought the club all the way back to parallel on the ground. Works for me! :)
Thing you gotta remember is nto to try to swing out of your shoes because then your arm will tend to discinnect off your body resulting in a bad shot.

#4 justaman5

justaman5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26172
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:52 PM

Mr Mom, for not knowing to much about a swing. You hit it on the screws on this post.
Bridgestone J33 8.5 loft
Bridgetone J33 15 loft
Hogan Redline 1988 model 2-9
Vokey 48, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Napa Valley
Prov1x

#5 MrMom

MrMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13856

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:41 PM

View Postjustaman5, on Aug 24 2007, 02:52 PM, said:

Mr Mom, for not knowing to much about a swing. You hit it on the screws on this post.
I must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

#6 RunOfTheDill

RunOfTheDill

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34684
  • Ebay ID:RunOfTheDill

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:22 PM

I have just started trying this and should I still be able to keep the glove under even through the followthrough.  I have taken lessons and I have been told I should really reach out towards my target and I feel like i'm hampering my self from doing this.  Also, anybody got any drills for keeping left arm straighter on the backswing.

#7 jdub123

jdub123

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23228

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:38 PM

Any drills for coming too far inside on the backswing?

#8 mikeybusa

mikeybusa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32457

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:17 AM

seems to work ok for padraig. he always does it in his warmup. gloves under both arms.

#9 Oldnavycdr

Oldnavycdr

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46324
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:49 AM

Recognizing that the principle is the same -- connecting the arms to the body to achieve a more rotational swing -- is there a different purpose to the glove under the left armpit (RH player) drill vs. the glove under the right armpit drill?  I notice Slice recommends the left armpit drill.  My instructor had it under my right.  Is there a difference?

#10 payne7744

payne7744

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28101
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:32 PM

what about ball between arms drill, is it about the same as the glove drill?  i know this will help you feel connected. but what specific swing problems or ballflight issues do these drills help.  thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 scores

scores

scores

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6242
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:16 PM

I have seen instuctors take two head covers and put them under each arm pit ---connection

#12 Not Good at Golf

Not Good at Golf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128610

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

View Posttoddyboy, on 24 August 2007 - 07:32 AM, said:

Does anyone have a video of someone executing the drill of someone swinging while keeping a glove or other object under their right arm?

I feel right now that my arms are out of sync with my body and this will be a perfect drill to get the correct feel.  

Another question that I have about this drill is how do you get any power while keeping your right arm so connected to your body?  To create power you need a wide swingpath, and not extending both of your arms on your backswing would create a narrow swingpath.  Is that true?  I tried a few practice swings with a glove under my arm and I felt like my body was sliding quite a bit.  I don't think this is the feel that this drill is trying to achieve.

Any hints/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Was watching some Tiger swing videos and noticed the glove under his right arm in this one:

#13 caryk

caryk

Come to the dark side ... we have cookies!!! ;)

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4000
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:04 PM

View Postscores, on 22 July 2008 - 01:16 PM, said:

I have seen instuctors take two head covers and put them under each arm pit ---connection
Seen a lot of PGA Tour pros using this lately to help promote that ... connection.  For $20, seems like a pretty nice training aid.  Plus, you can even get them in different colors!!!  lol

http://getconnectedgolf.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors