Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

"The Short Game" Show on Esquire

107 replies to this topic

#91 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 803

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:27 PM

View Postagatha, on 06 April 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

That's just gross.  How did Morgan place by the way?  I don't even get these families..  Out of curiosity I googled the kids to see who had websites and of course Morgan did, as well as Awesome and I can't remember which others did.

There was a girl from northern California, Casie Cathrea who had a lunatic dad like some of these, she was a very talented player, played in some LPGA events while in high school but her dad completely messed her up and by her freshman year of college (she quit her college team)she had severed herself from her family entirely, basically hates them, quit golf and is working at a fast food restaurant.  There is a blog her dad wrote that is just disgusting as it is all very negative toward his daughter.  The whole family is a mess.

here is the blog   http://www.mygolfdaddy.com/Blog/

Morgan shot a 36 and lost in a playoff.

That blog is whack.  Their are a lot of those dad's out there.  I see them all of the time.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#92 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 256

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:44 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 06 April 2015 - 10:18 AM, said:

So I take my son down to the US Kids tour this past weekend in Miami.  The same tour Morgan, Chloe, and Bryce play on.

The first thing we saw was Morgan's parents setting up a tent.  Yep, they were selling their kids products under a tent.  I wish I would have taken a pitcure.  Definitely used the show to try and exploit a business future.  I was laughing.  My son said "Who would want to buy something from people that act like them?"  They had polo's, skirts, jewelery, and other crap.  I don't think they sold a thing all day.

Bryce didn't play, but he and his dad were there at the end of the day.  I guess they were hanging out to pump their chest that they were on TV.  The dad definitley carried himself the way the TV show protrayed him.

You see a lot of the parents out there teeing it up for the kids.  They stand behind them and line them up.  They get on the greens and even line the ball up for them.  I laugh and wonder "What will the kids do when they don't have daddy there to think for them."  I let my son play and we have a great time.  Get a distance talk about the wind and we decide on the club.  I then step away.  I am not teeing it up or lining him up.  I want him to be able to play golf without me.  Shoot, he is better than me.  I won't line him up on the greens either.  I will make him tell me about the putt, speed, and break then let him putt it on his own.  The parents are more concerned with how the kids perform than they are.  The kids are 9 and 10 years old.  Their future is not going to be determined now, it is how they play when they are 13-17.
What is the local tour?  I didn't see any local tours in Florida on the US Kids site that had an event already.

#93 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:56 PM

View PostNoles, on 06 April 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 06 April 2015 - 10:18 AM, said:

So I take my son down to the US Kids tour this past weekend in Miami.  The same tour Morgan, Chloe, and Bryce play on.

The first thing we saw was Morgan's parents setting up a tent.  Yep, they were selling their kids products under a tent.  I wish I would have taken a pitcure.  Definitely used the show to try and exploit a business future.  I was laughing.  My son said "Who would want to buy something from people that act like them?"  They had polo's, skirts, jewelery, and other crap.  I don't think they sold a thing all day.

Bryce didn't play, but he and his dad were there at the end of the day.  I guess they were hanging out to pump their chest that they were on TV.  The dad definitley carried himself the way the TV show protrayed him.

You see a lot of the parents out there teeing it up for the kids.  They stand behind them and line them up.  They get on the greens and even line the ball up for them.  I laugh and wonder "What will the kids do when they don't have daddy there to think for them."  I let my son play and we have a great time.  Get a distance talk about the wind and we decide on the club.  I then step away.  I am not teeing it up or lining him up.  I want him to be able to play golf without me.  Shoot, he is better than me.  I won't line him up on the greens either.  I will make him tell me about the putt, speed, and break then let him putt it on his own.  The parents are more concerned with how the kids perform than they are.  The kids are 9 and 10 years old.  Their future is not going to be determined now, it is how they play when they are 13-17.
What is the local tour?  I didn't see any local tours in Florida on the US Kids site that had an event already.

The local Winter Tours are over and are now starting the spring tours.  Boca Raton Local Spring tour.

http://www.uskidsgol...ament_id=491161

#94 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:20 AM

So, I only was able to watch the last 4 or 5 episodes of this program until last night.  My DVR recorded the first episode  yesterday.

I just have to say "Holy Cow.".  I didn't realize how dysfunctional Morgan and Bryce's dad really were until watching that episode.

Morgan's dad is the poster child for "Why a parent shouldn't try to coach their child in golf."  At 7 years old, a kid doesn't need a coach at all.  Let them play and have fun.  This guy was an absolute embarrasment and should be arrested for mental abuse on his child.  The girl is 7, let her have fun.

Bryce's dad is a complete whack job.  He left me laughing.  The kid is 8 and has a regiment like he is in college.  Work out, go to Joey D's (I found this humorous because they are robbing the guy), and golf practice all because his dad thinks he is an elite golfer.  I hate to tell him, but Bryce is average at best for that age.  He is far from elite.  Elite is going to shoot right around par give or take a stroke or two even on a bad day.  Elite doesn't need a hybrid to hit the ball 100 yards.  This kid would just assume play with ants and enjoy life.

Morgan and Bryce won't be playing when they are 13 if their daddies don't leave them alone.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 08 April 2015 - 08:27 AM.

#95 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 256

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:44 AM

I think there needs to be a medium in the handling of a child golfer.  I am certainly appauled and embarassed watching the behavior that I see from the parents on this show.  I have seen similar things in person and it is very uncomfortable when it happens.  On the other hand, I completely disagree with the notion that when kids are 7 or 8 years old that we should just let them have fun and they don't need any coaching.  At age 7 my son had already played soccer, baseball, basketball and swimming.  In each of those sports, he had someone coaching him.  Someone helped him with fundamentals and it was noticable when he improved because of it.  Why should kids not get coaching in golf at that age?  I see kids who are not even in school yet who have beautiful swim strokes.  They didn't just do it naturally, there was an instructor in the pool teaching them.  Why not golf?

#96 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:51 PM

View PostNoles, on 08 April 2015 - 11:44 AM, said:

I think there needs to be a medium in the handling of a child golfer.  I am certainly appauled and embarassed watching the behavior that I see from the parents on this show.  I have seen similar things in person and it is very uncomfortable when it happens.  On the other hand, I completely disagree with the notion that when kids are 7 or 8 years old that we should just let them have fun and they don't need any coaching.  At age 7 my son had already played soccer, baseball, basketball and swimming.  In each of those sports, he had someone coaching him.  Someone helped him with fundamentals and it was noticable when he improved because of it.  Why should kids not get coaching in golf at that age?  I see kids who are not even in school yet who have beautiful swim strokes.  They didn't just do it naturally, there was an instructor in the pool teaching them.  Why not golf?

I will rephrase what I am talking about and think you will agree.

Golf is different in other sports in that growth can really effect the full swing.  Growing just a quarter inch can effect how a junior hits the ball.  Running to a coach for full swing is not effective because it may have nothing to do with swing.  A lot of times it is simply growth.  I went through it with my older teen daughter and am now going through it with my 9 year old son.  They need to know the basics of the grip and the swing and that is it.  I believe they need coaching, just not seeing someone twice a week because they have a problem.

The most important thing they can learn at an early age is putting/chipping/pitching.  This is where you score.  If you learn how to do it early it will stick with you forever.  If you are going to pay for lessons, this is the area to pay for lessons.

My son has a beautiful swing.  Has never had a full swing lesson in his entire life.  If he wants to learn to curve it, the best way is for him to figure it out and not have someone teach him.  The swing is the most overcoached and over taught part of the game.  Too many swings are stamped out rather than just letting the kid learn how to do it on their own.

I don't think that parents should teach their kids golf.  It is a bad recipe for the kids hating it when they get older.  At 7 and 8 they need to just have fun and learn to swing on their own.  You take some of these kids from the show and it is like they are being forced to play tournament golf.  Tournament golf is very difficult to play.  Some of them just want to go to the course to be there with their dads.  Just like going out to the driveway to shoot hoops with your dad.  There is nothing wrong with just having fun.  They don't have to play tournament golf.

#97 Skydiver22

Skydiver22

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16735
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:59 PM

My daughter played on a high school golf team when she was in 7th grade.  When she got to high school, I went hands off and found a solid instructor that would work on her game and the mental approach. About 7-8 years ago Phoenix/AZ had some talent in high school so the competition was tough. Her sophomore year I have have a pic of her on the podium (4th place, total of three over for three rounds)  with Sara Brown, Melissa Mabanta,Cheyenne Woods and Amanda Blumenhurst.  I am proud to say I had nothing to do with that success other than supporting her off the course.

In Phoenix like I have said before... Parents are not allowed out on the course, period.  Best rule seen to date... let the kids play the game and learn social skills.  Bottom line is parents try and relive their childhood through their kids... it is sad to watch.
PING G LS  10.5*  Fuji 661 65 gram X flex
PING G    14.5   Attas Six X flex
PING G30   19* Tour 90 gram X Flex
PING  iBlades    4-PW  w/ Modus Pro3 X Flex
Titleist SM6    50*/54*/58* (Black)
PING                     Tyne

#98 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:21 PM

View PostSkydiver22, on 08 April 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

My daughter played on a high school golf team when she was in 7th grade.  When she got to high school, I went hands off and found a solid instructor that would work on her game and the mental approach. About 7-8 years ago Phoenix/AZ had some talent in high school so the competition was tough. Her sophomore year I have have a pic of her on the podium (4th place, total of three over for three rounds)  with Sara Brown, Melissa Mabanta,Cheyenne Woods and Amanda Blumenhurst.  I am proud to say I had nothing to do with that success other than supporting her off the course.

In Phoenix like I have said before... Parents are not allowed out on the course, period.  Best rule seen to date... let the kids play the game and learn social skills.  Bottom line is parents try and relive their childhood through their kids... it is sad to watch.

Parents aren't even allowed on the course to watch?

#99 Skydiver22

Skydiver22

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16735
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:29 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 08 April 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

Nope... You watch them tee off on one, putt out on nine, tee off on ten, putt out on eighteen. That is it. No pressure from the parents while on the course. All the junior golfers loved it. and they learned how to police the groups with rules instead of a parent calling out a kid.
PING G LS  10.5*  Fuji 661 65 gram X flex
PING G    14.5   Attas Six X flex
PING G30   19* Tour 90 gram X Flex
PING  iBlades    4-PW  w/ Modus Pro3 X Flex
Titleist SM6    50*/54*/58* (Black)
PING                     Tyne

#100 Brad Thor

Brad Thor

“I felt like I was playing well enough to win this event”

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 363723
  • Ebay ID:R. P. McMurphy
GolfWRX Likes : 385

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:38 PM

How does Awsome's dad not get reamed by the other fathers when he drops f-bombs ect...around the other kids?

Better yet why is he not and the other swearing dads not kicked out?

This is the saddest show and some most of the parents are just horrible with the parenting and coaching skills.

“I felt like I was playing well enough to win this event”
Delusional golfer after missing cut at the 2015 Open Championship

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#101 Goldenhawk

Goldenhawk

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7653
GolfWRX Likes : 293

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:45 AM

View PostBrad Thor, on 08 April 2015 - 03:38 PM, said:

How does Awsome's dad not get reamed by the other fathers when he drops f-bombs ect...around the other kids?

This is the saddest show and some most of the parents are just horrible with the parenting and coaching skills.
I agree.  If the U.S. Kids want to help grow the game of golf, this show will not help.  It will have a negative impact.  I could see some parents keeping their kids away from golf and these overbearing parent caddies.
Callaway GBB Epic Driver, 10.5* Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard 63
Callaway GBB Epic, 15* 3-wood, Project X HZRDUS T800 65
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 18* 5-wood, Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Redboard 73
Callaway Apex CF16 Irons, 4 to AW, True Temper 95 XP S300
Titleist Vokey Wedges, 56* and 60*, M Grind, True Temper Dynamic Gold S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

#102 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:54 PM

View PostSkydiver22, on 08 April 2015 - 02:29 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 08 April 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

Nope... You watch them tee off on one, putt out on nine, tee off on ten, putt out on eighteen. That is it. No pressure from the parents while on the course. All the junior golfers loved it. and they learned how to police the groups with rules instead of a parent calling out a kid.

I hate US kids because of he parent caddies.  However, at certain ages they need it.

In every association (FSGA and SFPGA are the two majors) they have a policy of no caddie and parents can't interact with the kids.  You can walk, watch, and cheer.  Any instruction and the kid is DQ'd.

I think the Arizona rule is extreme. I am sure weather doesn't play a big role in Arizona.  Summers in Florida it can be bright and shiney.  Half an hour later you are in the middle of a thunder storm.  How do you get kids off the course during a lightning storm?  There aren't enough adults within the association running the tournamnet to do that.  I see other safety issues as well.  I don't like that rule at all.  Seems irresponsible when you are looking at safety.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 09 April 2015 - 02:55 PM.

#103 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:58 PM

View PostBrad Thor, on 08 April 2015 - 03:38 PM, said:

I would have a problem with the cursing for sure.  I don't think it is that loud on the course.  I think him being mic'd up tends to be why we hear so much of it.

If the parents would encourage rather than discourage the kids would be better.  Don't tell them they hit a bad shot because they know they hit a bad shot.  It makes it worse by telling them what they did wrong.

#104 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:43 AM

I thought about this thread when one of my buddies showed me a link to a kid from Instagram with a 7 year old playing Fourteen clubs.  SMH while laughing at the stupidity.  They should really do another series.  It is really easy to find these over the top parents to make a show about.

#105 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:47 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 23 October 2017 - 08:43 AM, said:

I thought about this thread when one of my buddies showed me a link to a kid from Instagram with a 7 year old playing Fourteen clubs.  SMH while laughing at the stupidity.  They should really do another series.  It is really easy to find these over the top parents to make a show about.

Most of those kids are still going strong here in North Texas.  If Awsome is an tournament you can count on it being a 6 or 7 hour round. The girls are always stuck behind his group playing. Why they don't issue these people penalties I do not know.  It gotten so bad with slow rounds they give carts to girls now.  Told my daughter it's time to play elsewhere.

#106 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:35 PM

I just recently watched this series as well as the Short Game movie it was based upon.  Obviously, this show is built as reality TV with intended drama (or intended drama extracted by the producers picking parents they know are waaaaaaay over the top).  What might be interesting is a follow up series to see where these kids are now.

#107 Tannerbug33

Tannerbug33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464346
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

I've just started watching the series and have to say it has helped me as a parent to know what kind of couch caddy not to be.
And also helped wind encouraging the mental side of the game. It amazes me some of the comments someone would make on the golf course. Nothing good could come from it. I want my kid to enjoy golf and be in for the long haul.
Also us kids courses are way to short

#108 TimberBeast

TimberBeast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423152
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 25 October 2017 - 01:35 PM, said:

I just recently watched this series as well as the Short Game movie it was based upon.  Obviously, this show is built as reality TV with intended drama (or intended drama extracted by the producers picking parents they know are waaaaaaay over the top).  What might be interesting is a follow up series to see where these kids are now.

I don't think I would give those kids or their parents any more attention than that show already did.  Some of those parents are awful.  I have seen some of the same and worse behavior on the golf course, always from dads.  I have always said, they are teaching their kids to hate golf and to hate them.  I can't imagine any kid who plays under those conditions ever playing past the age of 14 or 15.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors